Tropical Beach Hotel Puerto Plata

Costs 34% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Tropical Beach Hotel Puerto Plata

All Inclusive Resort

by Jim_Eliason about Hacienda Lifestyles Tropical Beach Resort

This hotel is part of a huge complex on Cofresi Beach, a few Kms west of Puerto Plata. The complex includes hotel, bungalows and Condo timeshare rentals. The resort had good food, great facilities and a nice beach at a reasonable price. Only caution is to be careful about the extras, everything from changing money, booking tours or buying basic supplies is horrendously expensive at the hotel. Plus they seem to use a floating exchange rate to their advantage. The real rate was 34 pesos to a dollar, but it became 29 when they owed me change. 30.5 to change money(plus a 3% commission), however when I owed them money the exchange rate went up to 35.

Also, be aware that they are a timeshare association and they will hit you up multiple times to attend their timeshare pitch.

However if you ignore the pleas to go to the timeshare meeting, use an ATM for money and buy tours and supplies from the little business district on Cofresi beach. It is a great value for money.

Do not choose this resort

We just got back on SEP 01'03 after our one week stay at the RAMADA HACEINDA RESORT/GARDEN/SUITES. I would like to put down all the facts truthfully.When we arrived at the hotel lobby at 1230PM we were told we would not be able to check-in untill 1PM as the rooms were not cleaned,it was hot and humid, I am 6 months pregnant and was terribly tired and hungry.We were asked to attend an orientation before going upt o our rooms so we had no choice,we decided to do a walk about the resort I was very pleased, the pools were beautiful and so was the view of the beach and the ocean but that was all. The room was very basic, the mini fridge was empty no bottled water-nothing we had to call roomnservice 5 times for bottled water,extra towels and extra pillows, before thay showed up at our door at 4 pm with a fruit tray and a bottle of pepsi and 7up each, bu still no bottled water,towels or pillows.Later we found out that we had to fill an empty bottle at a water cooler at the bottom of the stairs.Even after we tipped the cleaning lady-'different one everyday' They were reluctant to give us a towel each for the 3 of us. By the next day most of the guests were out of toilet paper and towels. Nobody spoke any english except for the entertainment group which was of no help.The food was ok and twice tasted dishes that had already gone bad but was still served,the bread was always stale.Several hotel guests suffered from upset stomachs including my husband,some were so serious they were put on the drip at the local clinic.Please take note that on weekends the hotel lets the locals come in , this was the most annoying part of the whole experience as they created havoc.The children urinated in the pool,emptied their drinks in-empty glasses were floating around they swam fully clothed some walked in with shoes I witnessed all of this.Most of the food was gone when ae got to the buffet and was not refilled even though it was not yet closing time,ther was no dessert left either except for fruit,mostly wated as one could plainly see the waiters clearing the plates full of food.These people were loud and mannerless.The pool filteration system was out of order at this time as well.During the 'NIGHTLY ENTERTAINMENT 'which is a total waste of time the the locals would occupy all the seating and none of the hotel guests had anywhere to sit.The resort was littered and messy.We could not use the pool for 3 days,could not nap in the aftenoon and had to grab lunch at the snack bar if any was left. The corridors were wet and several light bulbs were broken.We just wanted them to leave,they had ruined the last few days of our vacation among other things.Trips out of the resort like river rafting, safaris etc are very expensive(if you have a large family)The beds had bugs as would wake up itching our body everyday.The 2 restaurants the italian and chinese were a change from the daily buffet but at both you are served the same dessert from the buffet wether you liked it or not you are not allowed to order any dessert items on the menu, after dinner the waitress would come around with tray with the same desserts as the buffet and you pick it off the tray. Its funny garlic bread was served at the chinese but not at the italian restaurant. To conclude do not forget the Pepto Bismol and full insurance coverage if staying at the Ramada Haceinda resort/garden/suites.Put in a few extra dollars and book a better hotel, it is not worth ruining your vacation.As per Signature vacations this is supposed to be a 4 star resort believe me it does not come close.I travelled to Cuba (Rio de Mares- Holguin)2 years ago and had a wonderful experience a 4 stat is a 4 star.

WARNING -- HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH!!

slipped and fell on wet stairs by the pool and suffered near compound, tib-fib fracture of left leg on first day of vacation. Hotel only concerned about getting paid and offered NO HELP WHATSOEVER. Forced to undergo painful surgery in Dom Rep (hospital was adequate and care sufficient). My husband was only concerned w/ getting us back home ASAP for medical care. Hotel would offer NO assistance. Rep came to my hospital room only HOURS after I came out of surgery and demanded I say that the hotel was NOT liable. Still in excruciating pain from my accident, I asked him to leave. Same rep was rude and constantly harassed my husband. Wrote Ramada's corporate office about my accident when returning home--thinking they'd be concerned enought to at least offer us a replacement trip / credit, etc. -- NOTHING. Wrote us a very curt and terse reply stating we would have to contact the reps directly in the Dom Rep if I wanted to get any type of satisfaction--US reps werent liable. This whole incident isn't even worth wasting my time complaining about, just care enough to warn potential travellers -- BUYER BEWARE. Not worth the so called discounted vacation -- hotel is not interested in anything other than taking your money and supplying nothing.Unfortunately, I am not the only one who was seriously injured at this hotel. Apparently Ramada Hacienda is not concerned about guests' safety, but it's interesting how eager they are to take their guests' money....

Never Again!

Where do we start? The first week was okay, the weather fine, the rooms bit basic and the shower was a plastic tube with a head on it that fell off the wall if the water pressure got to much. Also the tap on the shower constantly fell off if you so much as applied a bit of pressure to move it. The food was okay for the first 3/4 days but that it was chicken with everything and rice. The bar grill was the best place to eat, everything was cooked completely! The waiters/waiteress were very nice but the service was a bit of hit and miss. Sometimes you would get coffee with breakfast, other times not, same with water for the evening meal. The locals turn up at the weekend, this is not told until you have your welcome talk. The best thing to do is go down on the beach at the weekend and keep away. Both my husband and I suffered with 'dodgy' tummys by the end of the 1st and the bread and water I ate for a whole day was so much better that some of the food! Then the earthquake on 22.9.03. That was the scariest time ever, but give the staff their due, even though they had never experienced this before they were as helpful as they could of been and brought out tea and coffee and made sure we were alright. Jackie the guest service manager was fantastic, couldn't do enough for everyone. The maids came in and worked overtime getting the rooms ready to move people. Block 5 was condemed by British architetchs, so don't go in there as there was a huge crack from one side to the other. The room we moved into the bed was broken and it constantly moved even when the ants ran across the floor, so the second week we didn't get much sleep due to the tremors and the constant bed moving. The balcony was not safe either the wood was rotten and some pieces missing. The air con was okay if you had the ceiling fan on, but that was above the bed and constantly moved, looked like it was gonna fall off, so we only had this on when we were out of the room. All in all, we would not go back to the Ramanda Hacienda, they are supose to be making this to a 5 star within 2 years, I think even in 22 years this would never be five star.

The earth moved

The Hotel Hacieda is a wonderful place to have a relaxing holiday. I have been twice now, and will be returning next year. This year we unfortunately experienced an earthquke (6.5), not a small one! But it did not ruin our holiday, the staff were great. They made sure everyone was safe not knowing what was happening at home. Our holiday was not disrupted, food was served on time, rooms were cleaned all as normal as though nothing happened. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, the staff are so friendly and helpful. Hopefully next year it will be a little less eventful.

disappointed

We have been to other Carribbean Islands and looked forward to enjoying much of the same but we were very disappointed. Upon arrival at the hotel, we were greeted by only one English speaking person, however, the initial greeting with a refreshing cold cloth was very much appreciated. Wewere not greeted by anyone from our timeshare association and we were very much on our own. The food was just about the same thing every day and left a lot to be desired. We took two tours out of the complex but since we were the only English speaking people, on the tour, we feel we missed a lot about what we were seeing, where we were going, etc. Our bright days (and there was rain at least 4 days) were made enjoyable by 6 six people we met - 4 ladies from USA, actually, about an hour from our hometown, and a British couple. The pool area was very nice, and the beach was enjoyable but having electricity go off a few times in the evening was irritateting. We will not go back. Our favorite vacation spots at this time are Mexico, Jamica and St. Johns VI. Oh, did I mention that my stomach is finally get back to normal. Even with bottled water. Sorry folks, this is how we feel.

Hacienda Lifestyles Tropical Beach ResortHacienda Lifestyles Tropical Beach Resort

Lifestyle Hacienda Vacation Club

by pnugent

Has anyone stayed at this resort in Puerto Plata? I'm trying to arrange a trip for 4 couples to go there - staying in the 3BR villa that sleeps 8. There aren't many reviews about it. Any info you can share would be helpful! Good food? Accommodations nice? Beaches good?

Also, what is snorkeling like in that area? We need to stay in the Puerto Plata area as we have a friend who lives near there.

Thank you for anything you can give me!

Paula

by travelgirl3

I haven't heard of the resort, but you should try debbiesdominicantravel.com. Debbie's is an awesome resource for all things Dominican. They have a page for reviews of resorts, as well as a bulletin board for posting questions.

Enjoy the DR!

by jodssmile

Hello fellow Iowan.See you live close. : )
She is right. I think it has most resorts that are there listed in resort reviews.
if not, you ask about it on the 'bulletin" and will usually get swift answers.

by Torontogal

Beaches in Puerto Plata are golden sand, not white like many other areas. P P has had some crime problems of late outside of resorts, so take the usual precautions. Also check whether this place was damaged in the hurricanes, which were the worst in years. Sosua is said to be good for snorkelling, but I didn't go there. There have been lots of shortages reported because of the storm damage, power outages etc, so travel to this beautiful island with an open mind.

by pnugent

Thanks for your response! I'm from Iowa Falls! What did you do in the DR? We're avid snorkelers - did you do any? Where? What was your favorite activity? When we go, we will be visiting the family of a friend of ours - they live in Santiago. Their son lived with us from September of 03 til July of 04. He now lives in Ft. Dodge, and hopes to be able to go back when we do, so we'll have a native tour guide! But that may not happen, and his family doesn't speak English, so we might be on our own a lot!

It was interesting to read your bio! We love to travel too, but mostly in the Caribbean, Hawaii, and ski country! We're stuck in a rut!

I have looked on Debbie's pages, but there are only two review, and they are old an very negative.

Thanks!

Paula

by travelgirl3

You could also try Tripadvisor.com. They post reviews as well.

by jodssmile

I will email you privately. I did once and am going to do again so check your Vt email on left side in blue.

Comments