Victoria Golf & Beach Resort

Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Caribbean

More about Victoria Golf & Beach Resort

Brilliant first holiday!

I stayed here with my girlfriend for 2 weeks in September this year, and it was everything we hoped for! The resort was brilliant, had lots of activities for all ages, such as poolside games and the usual waterpolo and volleyball every now and then in the pool. They even let you have diving lessons for free! The reps were really friendly and always joined in the games and provided the evening's entertainment. I think there is a great variety on the menus, easily enough to last 2 weeks if you're willing to try a few local specialies! But if not, theres always burger and chips for lunch or a pizza for dinner! The A La Carte restaurant is great as well, just remember to book early in the morning before anyone else! All in all, I'd recommend this holiday to everyone, Dom. Rep is a great holiday destination and Victoria Resort is a great way to enjoy it to its fullest!

Try the brown cows!!!

by TripAdvisor Member chubbybird

My best friend and I stayed at the Victoria Resort March 20-27/04.We had a great time,other than the weather.It rained 3 1/2 days out of 7!!!The staff was wonderful and went out of their way to help.The rooms were ok but certainly could have been cleaner.The food at the buffet was good and all the restaraunts were very good.The entertainment staff was great but the shows could use some help.We booked our Safari trip on the beach,much cheaper and pretty much the same trip,a great time.Check out the market at the end of the beach and barter til your heart is content,they love it and things are really cheap.Have fun with the staff they really enjoy it.We would gladly go back there again.Try the Brown Cows,Cocao and milk,a little mint if you like and they'll taste like after 8's.

Well I liked the food!!

by TripAdvisor Member GillianCraven

My friend, sister and I stayed in Victoria Resort last September for a week. I had never been on an all inclusive holiday or the Caribbean before. I thought the hotel, food, activities, pool, value for money etc. were above average. My friend and I are even going back in 3 weeks for a 2 week holiday so it must have been good! I'm very surprised at the negative feedback on this site. We are 3 ladies in our mid to late 20's and maybe felt a bit left out as it was mostly couples or families but there was plenty to do. We thought the food was of good quality and choice - we had trouble drinking the cocktails every night! Maybe we were lucky to have a quiet week but I am sure we will enjoy the holiday again, I will let you know! Hi to Kalibre, Julian, Alex, the professional and the others I can't remember at the moment!!

If you have already booked, do NOT read!!

We have just returned from our 5 day trip to Victoria Resort, and are glad we did not book for any longer!! We were ok till we got to our room - awful!! Filthy! Pubic hair, dirt, dust, grime, stained sheets and towels, and given all that, a truly horrible experience finding out that our shower did not drain! After 3 days of regular visits to the front desk, involving the Signature rep and getting no assistance, I finally located a maintenance guy and physically walked him to our room and would not let him go till it was fixed. (The repair lasted 2 showers, and then we were back up to our knees in miscellaneous water and "stuff") Meals - eat them all at the Pizzeria or the beach club.
Steer clear of the buffet - unless you like bad food, repeated on a three day cycle. The pools are tiny, and entertainment and activities are at a minimum. The beach was "ok", but sure seemed like more than 400 metres away!! Cart rides to the beach are sporadic. The surrounding grounds and golf course are quite nice. While the front desk and porters are very fun and try to be attentive, the staff, especially in the buffet restaurant, are not much oriented to customer service. We finally learned to be a bit more "self serve", and got our own silverware, napkins, water refills, tea and coffee from the waiters' station. If you want a drink, go to the bar and get your own, or risk dehydration. The weather beat the 30 below and piles of snow we left behind, but this is one resort that we will never consider returning to, and would advise any and all to avoid it. Regardless of the deal you may be getting, it just isn't worth it. This "4 star" resort would never come out ahead of a 3 star in Mexico, and the consensus among many of our fellow travellers we talked to, is a 2+. Trust us!!

Never Again!!!

My husband and I visited the Victoria Resort from 05/05/03 for two weeks for our honeymoon.Having already been to this hotel in May 2002 we were looking forward to another nice stay here. Unfortunately that was not what we got.The hotel has severly gone down hill. The food was well below average and most mornings there was hardly anything left to eat even when we were at the restaurant by 8.30 in the morning. They seemed to put out a couple of trays and once they were gone that was it, they didnt bother to replenish them at all. If you do manage to eat here though be prepared for a dodgy tum. Nearly everyone we spoke to suffered with it for most of their stay. Its the only holiday ive been on and lost weight!!We did visit the A La Carte restaurant twice which is very good but was dissapointed when we were told they wouldnt do us a coffee because they were too busy!!!!!! Do yourself a favour and eat at the Pizza restaurant as much as possible it was excellentIf you like a drink then take a hip flask, it could take upto 20 minutes to get served at night and the bar closes at 11.45pm.On the plus side the maids and bell boys were excellent and the entertainment staff got full marks for effort.If you want to go to Playa Dorada I strongly reccomend it, the place is lovely and the poeple couldnt be nicer but I advise you to stay at the Gran Ventana which is this hotels Sister accomodation and is 100 times better.

Much better than some of these reviews lead me to expect!

Having read the reviews on this site after booking my trip to Victoria Resort, I was a little apprehensive when I arrived there on February 22nd for a week's holiday. However, I have just returned home and I have to say that I had an excellent time, and do not agree with the majority of the complaints on this site.My boyfriend and I found the rooms bright and clean (certainly there were no signs of "blood, pubic hair" and the like in our room). Our room was cleaned every day, as are the communal areas of the hotel, which you can see visibly if you're up early enough in the mornings, and the bedsheets were also changed regularly. The staff are generally very friendly and enthusiastic, especially the receptionists, porters and entertainment staff. We saw no cockroaches or giant spiders in the hotel, and when the only problem we had was reported - our hot water wasn't working - it was fixed within a couple of hours.The hotel is set in stunningly beautiful grounds, with a view of mountains and the golf course, set back across a lake.The two pools may not be huge, but given that there were rarely more than a couple of people in them at a time when we were there, that hardly presented itself as a problem. The beach is also pretty nice actually, especially if you get there in the morning before the tide brings the seaweed in with it - the sea is beautifully clear. It isn't far away from the hotel at all, but if you're lazy enough to find it a problem, there's a complimentary golf buggy service between the hotel and the beach if you can't be bothered to walk the few hundred metres. There are plenty of free watersports you can partake in at the beach - I recommend going out in a kayak as you really get to appreciate how clear the water is.The various restaurants at the hotel are fine, although not exactly haute cuisine, which you can hardly expect when you choose to holiday in a developing country in any case. The a la carte has a fairly decent menu (try the mozzarella starter, it's superb!), and the pizzeria is also pretty good - but only does pizza, nothing else. The buffet is limited, but it does have different foods every night if you want them, and if not, it usually has a good selection of salads and fruits - everything at the Victoria is washed/cooked in purified water, and we had no illness at all despite eating salad pretty much every day. If you don't like it, you can always eat elsewhere - this is an incredibly cheap country, at least by comparison to the UK (think 50p to ?1 for a bottle of rum). The mexican beach bar provides an alternative at lunch time, and the food there isn't bad, although everything has much less intense flavours than mexican food served in the UK.The restaurant staff are not always totally on the ball, but we always found that if we needed anything, you just had to catch their attention and ask for it (like in any other restaurant), and they'd bring it right away.The only criticism I have of the hotel is that the Victoria certainly doesn't have the luxury of a 4* hotel, and if, like us, you've stayed in a number of 4/5* hotels, you'll notice the difference. I think a 3* to 3*+ rating is fair, and some of the UK tour operators have actually downgraded the hotel to this already.No offence to all the Canadians out there, but when we were there we did find that it seemed to be some of the Canadians that moaned about everything. We were just happy to be relaxing in a beautiful country under the sun, away from work in the city, so the fact that the hotel wasn't majorly luxurious didn't worry us too much.Hopefully other people going to the Victoria will have as good a holiday as we did, and return home with some fantastic memories.

Had a Great time at the Victoria Hotel. P. Plata

we got back 1st March 2004We stayed at the Victoria Hotel in P Plata and found the hotel was clean the food good and the staff very helpful and pleasant. No-one got an upset tummy. $10 went a long way when we wanted to change rooms. There were three of us and although my 16 year old son did not find anyone his age at the hotel he still had a lot of fun as the hotel entertainers were very good. We moved to a pleasant mini suite with three double beds, kitchenette and were close to the adult pool and bar. The Canadians we met made the holiday as they were such lovely people. The golf course was excellent and not as expensive as we originally thought it would be. The weather was a little disappointing but when the sun shone it was lovely. We went on a jeep safari to the falls and had a wonderful time. We walked out of the complex to get local buses to P. Plata and Sosua and Caberete - sorry about the spelling - and thought it was well worth getting out and meeting the local people who are very helpful and friendly. We looked at some property, and were tempted for a couple of hours, we would definitely go back to Dom Republic but would try another area.

Good Food and Great Staff

by TripAdvisor Member atcjtb

All in all a great place. I would concur with others, maybe not quite a 4*. 3 1/2 though. Rooms were clean. Food was quite good with variety.
The staff are excellent. The pools are small and close at 6pm.
Entertainment was quite good and there seemed to be something every night. The bar does close at 12am. If you travel with Signature, don't expect much from the Signature Rep. If you take any day trips, book them through Mar y Sol tours in the mall. They are great and way cheaper than the packages offered at the hotel. I would go to the Victoria again.

A VERY pleasant vacation

We've just returned from a week long stay at the Victoria, and have no hesitation about recommending it to others. I agree with some of the reviews on this site re: 4* rating. Last year, we spent a week at the Coral Marien (a 4* +), and the Victoria does not compare. However, the few shortcomings of this resort (cleaning staff could use a kick in the behind) are far outweighed by the positives. The food, while not as plentiful a choice, was always fresh and delicious. I highly recommend the upstairs restaurant ( the name escapes me) for a fancy sit down with the family, and the Mozzarella for a great pizza meal. The staff at the resort, from the front desk to the restaurant workers, from the bar staff to the young and very enthusiastic crew for nightly entertainment made our stay (despite some poor weather) truly enjoyable. Go in with a 4* expectation, and you might be disappointed.
Lower your expectations and enjoy a relaxing vacation with plenty to see and do within and outside the resort.

p.s. We booked last minute...and saved hundreds. Talk to your travel agent...it worked for us.

Brilliant!!!! Would go back tomorrow.

by TripAdvisor Member helensettle1964

Having read some reports on this site i was concered about my holiday at the victoria. From arriving on the 20th march to departing on the 3rd of april i can honestly say this was my best holiday by far,the rooms were delightful and clean they were cleaned every day. The food was good and their was a good choice. The hotel grounds were lovely, the golf course was excellent so lads dont forget your clubs. If you go on any excursions you after go to paradise island but dont book through your rep you'll find your paying nearlly double go over to the plaza to one of the tour operaters but haggle with them two. Paradise island $85 with rep $46 with tour people. once again take no notice about some of the bad reports on this site you'll find their from WHINGING canadians you'll come across the odd one while your their but the rest are really freind'ly. If you need any advise just e-mail me on rhinoshark@aol.com

View of Puerto Plata cityView of Puerto Plata city

Parque LuperónParque Luperón

CarnevalCarneval

Catedral San FelipeCatedral San Felipe

Any Advice Greatly Appreciated

by MrScottish

Hello, I hope that someone can offer me some advice on the following.

There are 6 of us travelling to the Dominican Republic in September. We are staying in the Victoria Resort to The North Of the island and were wondering if anyone could help with the following:

1. From all the reviews etc i have read, september seems a dead cert for hurricanes. What real chance is there of one occuring, and is there anywhere we can check in advance.

2. Obviously, a natural question is what the weather will be like. Is the north of the island good in terms of sunny days in September, or is this area cooler than the rest of the island

3. We are aged between 22-25, and the girls are worried that we might be quite young? is this the case or is there a good mix.

4. How much is a round of golf!! (important issues!)

Any advice would be great, and i thank you in advance for any help.

All the best