Village Caraibe

Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata, Caribbean

More about Holiday Village Golden Beach

DOMINICAN PARADISE

by karendababe about HOLIDAY VILLAGE GOLDEN BEACH

THE HOTEL IS LOVELY ROOMS ARE CLEANED DAILY BY VERY HELPFUL FRIENDLY STAFF. THE ROOMS ARE SPACIOUS WITH AIR CONDITIONING AND FRIDGES ARE FILLED UP WITH DRINKS DAILY. THERE IS ENTERTAINMENT ALL DAY AND ONCE A WEEK MARKET STALLS COME TO THE RESORT SELLING LOCAL GOODS. ALSO SELECTION OF RESTRAUNTS SERVING VARIOUS CUISINE, PLENTY OF ENTERTAINMENT FOR CHILDREN AND ALSO HAS A HUGE WAVE POOL. A GOLF COURSE ON THE COMPLEX TOO AND IT IS BEACHFRONT TO WHICH I FOUND NO PROBLEM GETTING A SUNBED.. THERE IS ALSO AN AMERICAN CASINO ON THE COMPLEX. OVERALL I FOUND THE HOTEL, STAFF, FOOD EXCELLENT AND WOULD RECOMMEND IT... THE ROOM I BOOKED WAS A ROYAL MASTER SUITE WHICH OVERLOOKED THE GOLF COURSE AND THE SEA PERFECT LOCATION AND VERY PEACEFUL. THERE IS A VARIETY OF SMALL SHOPS IN THE COMPLEX SELLING MOST OF WHAT YOU NEED. ALSO THE ROYAL AREA HAS ITS OWN ADULT ONLY POOL WITH SWIM UP BAR AND JACUZZI.. THIS IS IDEAL IF YOUR LOOKING FOR PEACE AND QUIET...

Allegro Jack Tar Village

by AniaKuzma about Allegro Jack Tar Village

A fun adults only resort. Not extremely luxurious, but clean and friendly and a fun place to be! Lots of singles and young professionals. If you like to combine relaxation with partying - this is the place for you.

Jack Tar Village all inclusive...

by sgarak

Jack Tar Village all inclusive package
Very reasonable with a number of optional upgrades Spacious with it's own section of the beach.
Two pools, one activity one quiet.
Lots of entertainment during the day if that is your thing.
Casino on site for those who enjoy a gamble

Staying at Jack Tar

by TripAdvisor Member OntheGoCyd

Just returned from a week at Jack Tar Resort, and my sister and I trully enjoyed the Domincan Republic, but we both would visit another city (i.e. Santo Domingo, or Punta Cana). The bright and energetic colors of Jack Tar will put you in a vacation mood. When my sister and I arrived we were all set to "get our vacation on" when we encountered a "snafu." According to the desk staff they did not have a room for us, and they were sending us to another Occidental hotel about ten minutes away called the "Flamingo." My sister and I became angry, and asked to speak with a manager. We were told by several members of the staff to give the other hotel a try, but we insisted that we had booked through "Expedia" and paid for Jack Tar and Jack Tar was where we were going to be staying, or we would be contacting "Expedia,"and leaving the DR the next day. As we were talking with the hotel staff a couple from New Jersey came in, and were given a room. This fueled the fire. Finally, we said that we wanted access to an outside line so that we could call "Expedia." For some reason the call would not go through. Finally, after about an hour, we were given a room at Jack Tar. ROOMS-On the internet Jack Tar's accomodations are given "4 Stars." The food at the a la carte restuarants and the buffet could be considered "4 Star," but the rooms are 2 or 3 Stars. They need to be updated and modernized. Our room was dark there was a light on the night table, and a light on the ceiling fan. The was a shortage of electical outlets in the room, and no clock radio. Our room was clean. You have to leave a deposit for the TV remote and pay a fee for the safe deposit lock. There is very little shelf space in the bathroom for placing your tolietries. The mattresses were sagging, and I had a dip in mine that after a day or so I got used to. FOOD and Drinks-The three a la carte resturants were great (book your reservations at each one as soon as you arrive). The drinks were the best (look at the wall across from the bar..be adventeroous). The food at the buffet was great, and the pizza each afternoon was the greatest. THE RESORT-clean and plenty to do. The beach was nice, and there was plenty of chairs. The people at the hotel were by far the greatest, accomodating and friendly. THE TOURS-were interesting and informative. Remember to bring about fifty dollars or more in dollar bills, and a calculator. This will help you tipping and converting dollars into pesos, and vice versa. OVERALL-A good vacation.

New Years at the Jack Tar

by TripAdvisor Member rival88

My husband and I just came back from a 1 week trip to the Jack Tar Puerto Plata (Dec 28 - Jan 4) and (all in all) had a great time. I have to admit, my first impression of the resort was not great. No one greeted us when we arrived, no welcome drink and no escort to the restaurant for lunch, while we waited for our rooms to be ready. I read a review about how the reception staff was not too friendly - and to be honest, I would have to agree. I heard of someone who tipped them $5 when they arrived - and apparently that tipped the scale for the rest of the week. Beware - keep all your receipts (deposit for remote, in-room safe etc.) as they lost ours. It is also a hit or miss of whether or not you get a room upgrade - the best rooms are apparently the "villas" near the beach (deluxe rooms with mini-fridge). Sometimes a little complaining on the first day goes a long way (didn't work for us however!). :-)

ROOMS - Our room was a "superior" room which included a queen bed, TV, desk and hairdryer on the bathroom. At first I thought I would never use it - but trust me, when you take a freezing cold shower between the hours of 5-7pm, you need something to warm you up!! Yes, hot water was a problem throughout the week, usually our showers were luke warm. As the other reviews describe - rooms are indeed clean, but old and in need of upgrading. Our toilet (chain) broke mid-way through the week and thanks to suggestions I read on this site, we called twice and they sent someone within the hour.

BEACH - We didn't spend any time at the beach because it was red-flagged (dangerous to swim) most of the week. Forget about snorkeling this time of year, there's nothing to see - trust me, we tried. Definitely visit the nice beach vendors to the left of the resort (beside the beach restaurant). They are pretty persistent, but very nice people.

POOL - Since the beach was a no-go, we spent every day at the main pool. We enjoyed the daily water aerobics, volleyball games, music and proximity to the pizzeria and main buffet restaurant. The amount of beach chairs were never a problem and they are the kind with the stretchy material (not hard plastic) so they were very, very comfortable! Some of you reading this review may have already guessed who is writing this - and will remember the one incident we had with a German lady and her daughter who mistakenly took over our chairs and sat on our towels. She adamantly refused to believe that she was in the wrong and even took our towels with her - needless to say, she realized later that she was mistaken and never came to apologize. Interestingly, we never saw her or her family for the rest of the week!!

ENTERTAINMENT/STAFF - Although we had a great time and enjoyed Eduardo's (sp?) water aerobics classes and meeting the infamous "Coca Cola" - I have to say that this resort - by far - has the worst entertainment staff of all the all-inclusive resorts we have visited.
Where were they all week?? For an adults-only resort, there was so much more they could have done in terms of activities e.g. dance lessons, dart and basketball tournaments etc. Don't get me wrong, once in awhile they crawled out of their clubhouse and organized games such as "pineapple bowling" or "crazy water games" - but all in all, I wouldn't say they were too outgoing or friendly. One time, 2 animation staff members sat with us at our table for breakfast - and all they did was speak Spanish to each other the whole time. Night time entertainment varied. Some nights were good and some nights were bad. The best shows were "Phantom of the Opera" and "Cats" - the worst (boring) was when they had the professional dancers come in. Many of you reading this review who was at the Jack Tar for New Years Eve would agree with me that it was SO boring, up until they handed out the party favours - it was like we were finally allowed to get up, let loose and start having a good time!! :-)

FOOD - We chose to go to Puerto Plata this year because of the reputation on Dominican resorts and the great food. The Jack Tar was no exception. Although we thought other resorts like the RIU Mambo had a better selection of food at the main buffet restaurant, the Jack Tar's a la carte restaurants (seafood, Italian, Caribbean) will blow you away! For a 3 and a half star resort, the food was amazing! During the entire week, I didn't hear of one person having a sore tummy or getting sick - obviously you would just use your common sense and stick to your personal limitations. For example, I chose to avoid the exotic fruits etc.

TOURS - We went on one tour (horseback riding) and booked through Emanuel on the beach. It was cheaper than through the hotel - and I heard it is a much better experience. Emanuel is a good guy and can be trusted, just beware that when you are actually on the tour - drinks are NOT included. Also, don't be surprised if a horse and buggy comes to pick you up - it's all good! :-)

SHOPPING - Definitely venture off the resort and out into the rest of the Playa Dorado Complex. Do visit the nearby plaza (shopping mall) - either walk or borrow a bike from the resort. Prices are pretty good here if you're looking for Brugal (rum) or cigars. The small coffee packs (35 pesos) also makes a great gift/souvenir and is apparently really good coffee. At the time, 1 USD = 34 Dominican pesos.

FINALLY - The casino is really nice - worth at least a visit or 2. We also used the casino to make change from large US bills to smaller ones for tipping. The disco on site is fun if you go with a group. Bring a tennis racket and your running shoes - their courts are amazing. Pack bug spray (got a few bites). Bring small shampoo, soaps etc. you may have collected from other hotels over the years and leave with the maid - it's very expensive for them to buy it in the DR. Say hi to "Samee" the Jack Tar kitty cat and Elvis the green budgie...

We met some great people while at the Jack Tar - and that by far, made our stay most wonderful and memorable. Hello to our -noisy- housemates Niki, Jane and Kristen ~ ("Thank-you Chris!!!"), Maria, Bill & Karen and any one else who remembers us as the couple who went on stage the first night (magician act) ... and my husband nearly had his family jewels cut off by a knife throwing act and me - as the concerned wife who tried to lure my husband to get off the stage! :-D

If you're looking for a relaxing, reasonably-priced, adults-only resort with lots of activity options to choose from and GREAT food - then Jack Tar is the place for you. Please do not hesitate to e-mail us for any questions you may have about this resort. Enjoy! :-)

November loves the rain, and Jack Tar is a nice place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member NewBernian

Well what can I say; the average rainfall in November is substantially greater than any other month? My wife and I stayed at Jack Tar from November 9 to the 15. During that time there were two maybe three days that were not spoiled by the rain. By spoiled I mean that the surf was too rough to kayak, windsurf, or sail. On the days that the sun shined through, Jack Tar is a beautiful place to vacation. My wife and I live within a few miles of the Outer Banks of North Carolina that are a great vacation spot but the bright colors of DR and Jack Tar really give you a vacation feel. The second morning of our stay, I lured my wife out on the ocean on a kayak and she was hooked and could not wait to go back out on the water. Unfortunately that must wait until spring next year since the surf did not diminish for the rest of our stay. A keen eye was set upon the surf condition flag so that at a moments notice we could enjoy the scenery from off the coast. But I think that I might have jumped ahead a little too much. Our vacation was the selection from a choice of cruises and all-inclusive vacations in the Caribbean. My wife adamantly wanted to get off of the continent and I am a beach person. The logistics of flights and boarding on a cruise seems like more than we wanted to agree to. We have had many friends with family near the port of departure for cruises that love to go down early and stay over the night before the ship departs. We do not. Factoring in the plane tickets, hotel rooms the night before and the cost of the cruises, the one stop shopping of a Caribbean all-inclusive won the contest. Jar Tar s price tag of $1640 American for six nights seven days was the best price point. We booked with Expedia and there was a little hick-up with the transaction that went mostly unnoticed. The flights from Raleigh to Miami and back again were your average fair. Customs in DR is much quicker than in Miami. The visitor s pass required for entering tourists cost 10 dollars each. From the luggage pick up to the taxi is a tad bit confusing, but nothing that a few US dollars can t over come. The taxi is 20 bucks to Jack Tar. Vehicle standards may vary substantially. Since it was the first time out of the country to another country that is not exactly known for having the judicial standards of the US, I was a little concerned about being so quickly routed to a taxi and driving off without the taxi driver acknowledging our destination. But upon arriving at Jack Tar, the drama was quickly forgotten. The place looks great, much better than I expected for the price. We had arrived about an hour after check in begins (3:00 pm), however booking was running a tad bit behind. This would latter become an issue. Any way, we got some food, drank a little then drank some more and then went back to check in. The front desk did not have our booking information. Expedia??? Who knows? We had our paperwork that I printed off out of habit and they gave us a room based on that. The first thing on my wife s mind on day two was horseback riding. As the true nickel pinchers that we are, we approached the activities counter about the horseback riding included in the all-inclusive plan as listed on the Expedia site, which I also printed off. There was a look of confusion, bewilderment and a good bit of broken English by Angelo. We pressed the issue a little at the front desk and no one acknowledged the horseback riding included in the plan. Fortunately, One-Love, an Occidental Allegro representative championed our cause and got some clarification. Begrudgingly, Angelo told us to comeback tomorrow for our halve hour riding. All is good. Mama is happy, so everyone is happy. Good Caribbean nights. Well the next day it rained. On Saturday it did not rain and I am sure that horses were ridden. Needless to say I still owe my wife some horse back riding. We did however ride some bikes, tough on the butt lets say, but as good as any of the bikes we saw from the other resorts. The room was fine and since the Caribbean rain is like a waterfall without the majestic mountain peaks we saw more of it than someone wants to on a Caribbean vacation. Between the showers we worked on our tans and played tennis on some nice tennis courts. The food has been discussed by may other writers and I am running out of steam. However, I must mention that Imodium AD was critical in allowing us to get out of the room after the third day. When I upset Montazuma and what I did to do so, I don t think it was as bad as the revenge that was visited upon my wife and myself. Poor bottom; see bike reference. Had fun and would go again if not so close to a great beach or not for a delicate constitution. By the way, the front desk lost copies of our reservation twice. Not the most comforting thing to worry about on vacation.

Great place to stay

Just returned from Jack Tar yesterday afternoon. Other than a few cloudy days and rain, the vacation was great. The grounds are kept extremely clean. The staff was freindly and very helpful. Food was more than sufficient. Had a great time and would go back again. If you have any questions, just write.

Worst vacation of my life

by TripAdvisor Member snowbird969_8

Jack Tar in November for Jan.15 to Jan.22/04. Arrived 11.pm on 15th and was told they were booked and we were shipped off to Grand flamingo. We booked early because we wanted a small resort with no kids for my 60th birtday and instead we got a lrge resort with lots of kids. They said its an upgrade but it isn't if you wanted a small resort adults only.So it makes no different when you book as a lot of unhappy people were bumped.So book last minute a save. We had access to both resortsbut you had to travel to one to another very convienent. What we saw Jack Tar seemed much more friendlier and food was better.Wasted a day at Jack Tar looking for our Conquest rep and we found her (Debbie) she said we weren't her concern and we were to see rep next day at Flamingo.As it turned out our rep Delvis was the only ray of sunshine .He did is best to make things better.Conquest our lucky to have him. He even arranged a bottle of rum and fruit plate on my birthday.So if you still want to goand arrive at Flamingo you get him and he is super.By the way they have a fountain with no barriers at Flaming off main lobby and my husband fell in and had to go to the medical centre and we didn't evenget we are sorry except guest service after we complained and by the way when we came back from medical centre there was a caution sign .He wasn't the only one who fell apparently just before we arrived .If you want to go to Jack Tar have them sign a guarantee you wont be bumped because I wish we could have stayed there.Places to eat: Hemmingways in plaza Doraya Cafe Cito which is short taxi fare from resorts .Its run by a Canadian Tim and the food is great and so is all the staff :Jay Chad andJamie.Jamie can arrange a PUb CRAWL and its great .It takes you to Puerta Plata,Susua andCabarete from 6.3- to 1.00 Am.You eat at Cito's first.Good luck getting into Jack Tar.Don't bookGrand Flamingo.Mrs.Theresa RobertsonPeterborough Ontario

Exceeded expectations - loved it!!

by TripAdvisor Member IowaHawkeye

My boyfriend and I just got back from Jack Tar, and we loved it. After reading some reviews, we were a little hesitant but the resort, beach and restaurants exceeded every expectation we had. We traveled through Apple Vacations and everything was extremely smooth. The Dominican airport is a lot cleaner than what I was expecting, and we got through customs right away. Our transfer bus was waiting for us, and within the hour we were at Jack Tar. Our room was huge with cathedral ceilings and a king-size bed. It was in the middle of the village so we never had to walk far to the pools or restaurants. Our air conditioning broke at 11pm one night while we were there, and after speaking with the main desk - they had someone there in 15 minutes to fix it. We did have to wait to flush the toilet until we were both done taking showers as there were occasional times when the hot water didn't work. The restaurants were fabulous. The buffet restaurant offered pasta bar every night as well as lamb/duck/pork chops and veggies. The breaksfast omelette bar was also fantastic. The Italian restaurant was by far the best out of the 3 ala carte restaurants. The service was always excellent and the drinks were always good (tell Leonardo in the Suntan Bar to make you a "real" Banana Mama!). We didn't get a chance to eat at Papaya's for dinner, but we made sure we headed there for late-night pizza. The Seafood restaurant which doubled as the afternoon grill was also very good - extra plates of fries went along way. Neither one of us were ever sick, although after mixing hot sun, Rum 151, and different types of food - we did make sure we brought some Peptobismol.
The beach was great, and we never had problems with walking on the sand or in the water. There were some rocky spots, but after finding where they were at, we just stayed away from them and had fun in the waves.
The scenery of Puerto Plata is beautiful and we would definitely recommend the cable car ride up to Mount Isabel as well as the Freestyle Catamaran snorkeling tour that takes you to Sousa Beach for some crystal blue water where the fish eat bread out of your hands. We also liked shopping in the Playa Dorada Plaza, however if you are going to buy Dominican Rum, make sure you go to the Brugal Rum Factory in town - it is much cheaper (about $2 U.S. a bottle)The weather was always partly sunny, it rained a lot in the late evening or at night but never during the day. The night entertainment would be the only negative of this place, - they did have a live band playing some pretty good covers the first night we were there, and then after that it was downhill. But to us it really didn't matter as we spent most of our nights in the casino playing nickel slots or at Bogart's Piano Bar.
Besides we were so tired from the drinks and food all day that we were ready to go to bed. Just a few tips - One, stay away from the area next to the golf course in the relaxation pool. It is a golf ball drop zone, and the first day we were there, I got nailed in the head!! Two, bring some bug spray - I got bitten on my legs, but then again my boyfriend came back with nothing on him. Go figure. Three, bring lots of film so you can record all of your fantastic vacation memories at Jack Tar!

wow was fantastic

by karendababe

"my royal master suite"

firstly i will start with the room it was like a villa totally fantastic i highly recommend booking one. Hotel holiday village golden beach, playa dorada.

"INSIDE THE ROOM"

THE SPACE WAS FANTASTIC, HAD A HUGE KITCHEN,DINING ROOM,AND LOUNGE BEDROOM AND BATHROOM. OUTSIDE ON THE TERRACE WAS MY OWN JACUZZI,AND FOUR POSTER SUNBED..... WOW WOW

"THE SUNBED"

ONLY THE MASTER SUITES HAVE THESE LUXURY SUNBEDS WAS TOTALLY RELAXING

Loma Isabel de Torres from El MalecónLoma Isabel de Torres from El Malecón

Parque LuperónParque Luperón

Puerto PlataPuerto Plata

Parque CentralParque Central

HOLIDAY VILLAGE GOLDEN BEACH AUGUST 6TH 2007

by karendababe

I'M OFF TO DOMINICAN IN 4 DAYS HAS ANYONE BEEN TO THIS RESORT SINCE THE REFURBISHMENT.... ANYONE BEEN IN THE ROYAL SUITES???

How much is it to get from Santiago to Puerto Plata?

by blueshirt

I am going to be staying at the Jack Tar REsort, flights to Santiago is $100 less and gets in 1 1/2 earlier. Is it worth it? Im not sure of the traveltime and cost from Santiago to Puerto Plata. TIA!

Re: How much is it to get from Santiago to Puerto Plata?

by acohiba

It depends on how much luggage you have. If you take the bus, you can check one bag in and take one carry on. The bus is cheap, from Santiago to Puerto Plata I believe it's about 80 pesos or $2.00. I would fly into Santiago personally just to save the money.

Comments