Viva Wyndham Playa Dorada

Playa Dorada Complex, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Caribbean

More about Viva Wyndham Playa Dorada

Nice all-inclusive on the beach

by toontown about Viva Wyndham Playa Dorada

The Wyndham has 3 types of rooms: standard, superior, and junior suites. Half of the rooms are junior suites, which are the largest and best with a sitting area, sleeping area and spacious bathroom. There are 2 queen beds, tv, safe, good closet space and shelves (although no drawers to speak of), table and chairs, bench sofa, bath and shower and hairdryer in bathroom, ironing board and iron, and fridge with pop. Also balcony with table and chairs. Well-kept, clean rooms and comfortable beds. Standard rooms are said to be very small with little closet room, so make sure you book at least a superior and try to get upgraded to a junior suite.

Since the resort is all-inclusive there was the buffet restaurant for most meals plus two a la carte restaurants for dinners: one continental and one asian. The food at the buffet restaurant was fine but nothing special. I wasn't fond of their offerings for cooked breakfast but the croissants and cafe con leche were good and the lunch was good and plentiful with a wide enough variety, so I didn't really need much breakfast. Dinner offerings at the buffet were not much different from lunch but enough to choose from.

However, the food really shone at the a la carte restaurants. Having experienced a la carte restauarants at all-inclusives before, they can be disappointing quality, but these two restaurants were really good quality, service, and a good selection.

There were two bars: one at the beach and one by the pool. There were not many chairs at the pool bar, which was fine during good weather but posed a bit of a problem when it rained. The beach bar was better because it was also a cafe during the day, offering burgers, fries, pizza and pasta, so there were lots of tables and chairs. Both bars offered a wide variety of tropical drinks, as well as local beer and wine. Got better service if you tipped. Check-in was a breeze. There didn't seem to be too many people staying while we were there so line-ups were not ever a problem.

Other hotel activities: bingo merengue lessons, darts, sand volleyball, kids club, disco.

There was a spa and gym. $35US for a nice 1-hour relaxation massage. Internet available for $4US for 30 minutes.

The pool was very pretty, with a waterfall cascading down over the bar into the pool. However, it was colder than the ocean and not used much except for suntanning. due to the presence of lots of chairs and comfortable mattresses and umbellas for shade. There was also a pleasant, fairly large hot tub above the bar area.

The beach allotted to the hotel was fairly small, well-kept, nice golden sand, warm water, waves perfect for swimming and relaxed boogie boarding. Wind-surfing, catamaran rides and kayaks also available on the beach. Never had a problem getting a chair, although it might have been a problem if the hotel had been more crowded. Because beach area was small people tended to be quite crowded together.

A variety of asian cuisine

by toontown about Bambu Restaurant

This was the second a la carte restaurant at the Viva Wyndham Playa Dorada all-inclusive. Not as good as the Ibiza beach restaurant but still very enjoyable. Restaurant is japanese-style decor indoors, near the pool area. We tried the peking-style duck crepes for appetizer, chicken satay and ginger curried salmon for entrees, and tempura ice cream and banana cocunut crepes for dessert. A good variety of menu items to choose from included offerings from a variety of countries and also included sushi, mison soup, thia spring rolls, and korean pork.

Watching this sunset view will...

by Patricialuv

Watching this sunset view will be a daily routine, especially if you're around beaches or coastline areas...so....

Go to the beach!
Boca Chica
Playa Dorada, Playa Grande, Playa Sosua,
Bavaro Beach!!

A taste of home

by vdoortje about Plaza Playa Dorada

When going around the Shopping Mall in Playa Dorada we found some memorabilia of Holland that gave us a big laugh.
We found a bottle of mu husbands favourite Jenever brand: Ketel 1.
But in the Dominican Republic it is sold as Wodka.
We didn't buy it. Waaaaayyyy to expensive!
And we liked the Brugal rum, the Pina Colada's and other stuff.

The Jenever is waiting at home. For a more fair price!! ;-)) Go for the Brugal Rum!! For the Rum?? As cheap as can be!
For the Jenever/Wodka?? A fortune!

Playa Dorada Complex

by madmary71 about Mangu or CocoBongo?

The unfortunate part of being at the Playa Dorada compound is we were limited to only 2 discotheques...Cocobongo, which is situated next to our hotel and Mangu another 4-5 blocks away. We checked them out, and it seems that Cocobongo is the popular one, while Mangu is almost like dead in the water, although I must admit Mangu have the "hot" Dominican dancers. Cocobongo is almost like a masquarade party 'coz their dancers have different characters; The mask, Beetlejuice, Spiderman (ew), along with the Riddler. If you don't pay attention to the dancers, I think you'll have a blast here for they have better music. Anything goes! I was wearing flip flops, and a mini skirt.

Best Week Of My Life!!

I just returned last Sunday April 17th from the Viva Wyndham and It was amazing! I highly recommend it, the staff is great and so upbeat, you dont go unnoticed! The nightly shows are a must see! They do an amazing job. The resort itself is very clean and well kept. The area is lovely, and very lively at night. The Beach is just a short walk. No vendors to bother you, if they do come over just saying no will keep them away. The spa is great! Food is good, there's quite a variety. Try the Oriental restaurant for sure, It's also great. Everything about the place really, I'm jealous of those of you that are going, I wish I could go back!!

Nice resort!!

by TripAdvisor Member shopgirly

Just returned from a 7 night stay at Viva Wyndham and must say that it lived up to its good reviews. I had been reading reviews on this resort for over a month and it was right on the money.

The rooms are very spacious and very clean. We had a superior room which had 2 queen size beds. The room itself had everything that I read about except a dresser to put your clothes in. Not a big deal for us. This resort is kept very clean and tidy. NO BUGS!! In fact I saw very few during the week anywhere I went.
Service at this resort was very good, some lineups at the bar at times but always managed to get a drink when I wanted one. I really liked their beer which surprised me. Staff is very friendly. Animation staff was especially awesome. They were very entertaining at all times and boy do they love to dance and are very good at it.

I can't rave enough about the food at this resort. Both my husband and I ate like we never have before. Very tasty food and lots of variety. Both a la carte restaurants are very good. We talked to some people at the beach who were staying at nearby resorts and they were unhappy with the food where they were staying. I gained 4 pounds, not too happy about that.

The drinks were good, nothing watered down. The shows put on by the animation staff were very entertaining every night, very enjoyable.

The resort itself has very nice landscaping, we enjoyed being on the beach and the beach restaurant which also has great food. Just a short walk to the beach which was nice since it was the only exercise we got all week. The pool area in the evening is very enjoyable with little lanterns that light up in the trees. Nice touch...
Yes they have peddlers there on the beach, not as bad as Mexico, but do bargain with them and talk them down. I found things there to be very expensive.

We met some people there from PEI and Nova Scotia, had a great time with them. Hi to Bob, Lorna, Sheldon, Shelley, Ken and Denise, we had a good time.

The only downfall on our vacation was the amount of rain we had. It rained for the first 3 days we were there. I did not expect that much and was disappointed since we went on this trip to get lots of sun. We still managed to come home with tans so it ended on a good note. I don't think I will pick puerto plata in April again because of the weather. I hear they get more rain on that side of the island. Too bad for Viva because they pretty much have everything going right for them except that. Way to go Viva!! Franklin and Chocolate and the gang!!!!!!

VIVA DOMINICAN!

I have just returned today after a weeks all inclusive at the Viva Wyndam hotel, Playa dorada. I can only say that I am extremely satisfied with my holiday great value for money, clean hotel with very friendly and helpful staff, great food etc etc. I had visited this site prior to my journey and had read mixed reviews so I had a few concerns about my trip but all were quashed on arrival. I must confess we got a very good late deal with Thompson and although our hotel seemed the most basic in the dorada complex, I would give it 5 stars for overall satisfaction.

Not bad at all!

by TripAdvisor Member Josee and Ben

The hotel is quite near the airport which is great. Close your eyes when travelling on the bus...only 10% of all drivers have their permit. The place is very nice and the junior suites as well as the Superior rooms are very nice and clean. No bad odors of mildew. When we got to the hotel we were put in a room which was to be a junior suite but it was not and thanks to another couple, we found out (and not by the hotel) that we were in a Superior room. We were given a suite the same day. The staff is nice as well except for Mabel at the reception and at the buffet. We were there from April 16 to April 23 and we got no service at all at that restaurant. We had to get our juice, our coffee, our beer and our meal. They were not very friendly. All the other staff members, especially the "Staff, we are the sun" were fantastic. It rained 4 days out of 7 and they made it more enjoyable. The pool is great, the food as well, especially at the A La Carte Restaurants, both were fantastic. There is a long, well not so long walk to the beach. It is not that bad if you are not handicaped. There is everything you need at the beach (bathrooms, food and drink, chairs, and we did not have to get up a 6 am to reserve a chair).
One more thing, if you do not wish to be disturbed by the maid while in your room, put your sign outside the door. We forgot it a few times and came face to face with the maid while coming out of the shower. If there were no sign, she would not knock and she would enter.
I would return but the merchants on the beach and the Time sharing people are a pain (but there are often the only ones who salute you). I still prefer Mexico.

You won't be disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member misskate

My husband and I just returned home Apr 25th after a week at the Viva Wyndam. Exceptional value. We had a Superior room in building #5 (this is the newest building) and it appears to be the optimum location if you get a room facing the pool area. We requested a third floor room with a balcony, not facing the parking area, and that was what we received on arrival. I echo all the comments about the cleanliness of the resort. We thoroughly enjoyed the walk along the lagoon to the beach. We had no problems with insects; however, there are fish, turtles and geckos in abundance so it's a wonderful stroll. The beach is small and tends to get crowded in the morning, but we strolled down at 7 each morning to select a our preferred location and never had a problem. Great for swimming, and the equipment (kayaks, wind surfers, pfd, etc) are all new.The gym is fully equipped and wonderful. It opens each morning @ 8AM and we took advantage of it several mornings. We went to both "a la carte" restaurants and loved them. The service and presentation, especially at the Ibiza Restaurant at the Beach was superb. The chicken in mandarin sauce excellent! The pool was small but very refreshing after a day at the beach and we managed to go for a dip late each afternoon, after getting a drink at the pool bar.

The animation team tries really hard. However, the evening entertainment was more geared to kids, so we passed most evenings. I missed a house band, or even a singer. We are annual "snowbirds" and I must say this was the first time I have gone to a resort that did not have musical entertainment.

All in all, great time!

Hotel Viva Wyndham Playa DoradaHotel Viva Wyndham Playa Dorada

Pool at Viva WyndhamPool at Viva Wyndham

Beach at the Viva WyndhamBeach at the Viva Wyndham

resort at playa doradaresort at playa dorada

Wyndham Playa Dorado and Area

by stnic

Going here last week of October. Anyone familiar with the resort? As well, what activities would you recommend in the area? Interested in natural settings and active touring.

Thnx

RE: Wyndham Playa Dorado and Area

by vdoortje

Not familiar with the resort!!

But I would recommend to skip the tours on offer at the resort. The Plaza Playa Dorada has good offers, well insured, and at good prices. We paid 29$ for the Outback Jeep Safari. Our resort charged 79$ for the same trip.
Not to miss this trip!! It was the highlight of our vacation!!

Just to skip the offered trips.. hire a car for a few days and discover the country on your own. We did. A sedan will cost you 50$ a day. A 4 wheel drive 70$ a day. But only when going into the inlands and mountain country you will need the 4 wheel drive.
The roads are not that good. Keep a good eye on the surface in order to avoid some damaging holes. And the every where going mopeds are also something to be aware of. Driving after dark is also not recommended (you can't see the holes!!) But otherwise... Discovering the Dominican Republic is very nice done by car!!
We went to Parque Nacional Los Haitises and Santo Domingo by hired car. We loved it!

Ask your hotel desk when you want to hire a car.

Love, Dora.

RE: RE: Wyndham Playa Dorado and Area

by vdoortje

Forgot to mention the horse back ride. That one is great as well! We booked the one offered by a man on the beach. Cheap, but it turned out to be a ripp off: guide was sleeping most of the time, i.e. not very motivated. Although he did repair my broken shoe. And we never got our change money!!! We paid twice the agreed price!

Go with Miss Joyce of Larimar Horses!!! Good vallue for money!

Love, Dora.

Vacation in puerto plata/cabarete area.

by chrisbnj

Hey. I will be heading down to to Puerto Plata for the first time in may(11-17). I chose to do 2 different resorts so i can experience 2 different areas outside of the resort and have a few different restaurants to eat at in the resorts. I will be staying at Blue Bay Villas Dorados and Viva Wyndham Tangerine. I have seen good reviews in the forum about blue bay, havent read anything on tangerine yet. I was curious if there is any suggestions on making my stay better in the resort. Also i welcome suggestions on places to go outside each resort such as places to drink, eat, shops, sites to see, etc. Thanks alot for ur help.

Re: Vacation in puerto plata/cabarete area.

by marielexoteria

Check out Debbie's Dominican Page for hotel reviews (http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/) as well as Trip Advisor (reviews of the Wyndham Tangerine: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g317144-d291623-Reviews-Viva_Wyndham_Tangerine-Cabarete_Dominican_Republic.html).

As for where to go off the hotel, Puerto Plata is about 50 minutes by second class bus from Cabarete. SosĂșa is even closer (about 20 mins) and it's a small tourist town.

If you fancy to go to farther away places, Santiago is only 2,5 hours away by bus and it's a nice town to go for a day trip to, as well as going to Damajagua Falls (www.27charcos.com).

Hope it helps.

BTW: be aware that May is usually the month that we have the most rain (usually a lot of showers and then the sun shines) outside of the hurricane season, so bring a rain coat or something similar.

Work in DR

by Prez

I wanna spend a couple months in DR, perhaps at SunCamp. I have a degree from UofM and I speak french, english and spanish. Do I have a good chance to find a job in the Playa Dorada area and can I make enough to pay for my apartment?

Tkx!