3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

El Batey, Sosua, Dominican Republic, Caribbean

Orbitz.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Costs 48% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• fantastic place to stay

My stay at the Casa Marina Reef for 1 week was truely wonderful, I came to see my friends get married there. They had ame out the week before we flew out. We came out for the second week.
    The staff are very friendly and go out of their way to be helpful, they are always singing and dancing and it creates a lovely atmosphere.
    The rooms were really nice, especially the air con, but were a little dim, the maid was in every day cleaning them, they worked really hard.
    The grounds of the hotel were kept spotless at all times, there was always staff cleaning and trimming and picking up things of the ground, It was immaculate.
    The entertainment was fantastic too, much better than some London west end shows, it catered for all ages too which was good as I am going back next year with my daughter.
    The food was also lovely a massive range of food to choose from, my friend nicola is the most fussiest eater I know and even she liked the food. I loved it so much as I said before I have booked up again for next year.

Unique Quality: The pool was crystal blue all of the time and was cleaned every day. The sea views were lovely from the reef, there is some jaccuzi pools at the top of the reefs so you can just sit in them, relax and take in the views.

• Heavens-Mirror's Profile Photo

~ All Inclusive Hotel on the Beach ~

The Casa Marina Beach is a huge hotel complex, joined to the sister hotel Casa Marina Reef.
    There are a few bars located all around the beach area and there are 3 a la carte restaurants plus the buffet area where you have all your food and it is a self serve restaurant where you can have breakfast, lunch and dinner.

There is a Mexican, Italian and a Seafood restaurant, this also serves chicken and some very tasty steaks. We didnt really enjoy the Mexican, only went once during our stay. We went to the Italian three times, i had lasagne, then raviolli then i had pizza and i enjoyed them all.We went to the seafood restaurant twice, both times we had the beef steak, it was huge and came with vegetables and a bbq sauce. The chocolate cake at both restaurants was delicious.

There were plenty of sun loungers and spaces around the pool and sea, i enjoyed the jacuzzi's which were located on the beachfront however the water was quite cold so didnt stay in them very long.

The hotel room was very spacious and clean we had two huge king size beds in the room, fresh towels everyday if you wanted them. On arrival we had two bottles of water in the room. Could of done with a fridge though because drinks got warm.

The only downfall of the hotel was the buffet food, if there wasnt the a la carte restaurants the we would of been so bored of the same food everyday. It was very repetitive.

Also the entertainment was ok but more aimed towards families.

The hotel could do with an indoor bar or lounge, because the first few days we were there it rained and there was no where to go apart from your hotel room.
    I would of liked to have sat in a bar and enjoy a drink but you couldnt because they are all located on the beach.

Overall we had a nice time here but if your looking for a lively holiday then this aint the place for you. I recommend it more for families with younger children.

Unique Quality: The hotel has got a nice spacious sun terraces allover the complex, they are lots of sunloungers with complimentary towels which can be changed daily. There is a huge swimming pool at the Casa Marina Beach and also one at the Reef aswell if you fancy a change of scenery. There are also three whirlpool baths located along the beach which are nice and relaxing after a hard days sunbathing.

• schurlif's Profile Photo

MASS TOURISM ALMOST GONE MAD.....

Imagine a hotel on the beach with lots of property.... endless corridors and countless stimulating animators who keep the tenants of 370 + rooms occupied and happy....swimming pools where dozens do their morning watersport aerobics, an all inclusive offer, which means everything ( food and beverages) is actually really included in a lump flat price which is of course the linchpin or peg that attracts the crowds who then have breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets at the same place for two weeks or whatever..... Evening poolside "folklore" shows with eardrum numbing music beats and undisciplined crowds at the way too small reception... young wax colored and overweight european country hillybilly couples on their first long haul adventure vacation.....

I know I sound cynical and I really don't want to say anything bad or wrong about this place BUT when I think about it I get the goosepimples......

Unique Quality: hmmmm..... if the kitchen crew manages to produce enlightening, healthy and diversified food for everybody, everyday and if that food looks appetizing after the 50 people ahead of you in the queue have satisfied their urge to poke in and play with it and if you still find it delicious after eating every meal at the same place and if you don't get tired of having to serve yourself all the time....

well, then this would be a real unique quality to both the hotel and the guests...... lol.....

Directions: as mentioned above , CALLE ALEJANDRO MARTINEZ

• RandyApe's Profile Photo

Best for families or large groups

I stayed here over New Year 05/06 (they put on a good NYE). Its a decent place, pretty clean and well maintained. I normally happily eat anything on offer but I started to get a bit sick of the food by the end of the week.

The all inclusive beer is fine but the spirits are 20% home made style. Give a big smile when ordering and ask for a large measure to give it any sort of kick.

If you plan to stay within the hotel and only venture out on planned trips then this I would recommend this place based on value for money.

The town of Sosua is OK but is full of single blokes looking for local girlfriends. Cabarete seemed much better and more relaxed. The bars and restaurants along the beach were great.

More about Casa Marina Beach

Review of the Casa Marina Beach

by TripAdvisor Member gallrick

My Husband and I went to the Casa Marina Beach on the 8th to 23rd December 2003, with Thomson(TUI).

We didn't like the first room (148) we were given, so we asked to be moved which they did the next day and I have to say there were no problems the room was ground floor overlooking the main pool.

The staff were very friendly and also very helpful. The food was great, no complaints, except that there was too much to choose from.

Overall the Holiday was very good, the only problems we had were with the Rep.

They cancelled a trip and we wanted our money back (credit to our credit card) and she started saying ah but the exchange rate has changed so she was going to give us back less money than what we had actually paid. Fortunately it was my husband who went to see her and he even had to try to write it down for her but she just couldn't seem to understand. We did eventually get the same back but that was only because he stood his ground.

The other problem we has was when we first arrived, we came out of the airport to look for the Rep for our transport to the Hotel, only to find COSMOS somr other tour companies and hundreds of Taxi drivers/porters trying to take your cases off you. It seemed to take ages before we finally spotted her, about 100yds across a road. When we did get on the bus, she didn't, so when we checked in to the hotel got to our room and then decided we wanted something to eat it was too late and we had to wait till 6:30pm (10:30pm GMT) so we were absolutely starving because the food on the plane could not have been called MEALS they should have been called snacks.

Also the trips are very expensive, if we go back we would feel more at ease using the locals.

Also you should go for a walk into town and down to the beach, it really is a beautiful beach and the people are very friendly, so be prepared for a short walk to take a long time, but you are on holiday, so what's the rush.

If you are going on the trips into the countryside you can take pens/pencils/scrunchies/sweets/ writing books/colouring books etc for the children you meet while you are out. Be careful though because some of the children do grab a little hard sometimes.

We took some stuff but felt like we could have easily took more.

It really is worth going and if you want a cheap holiday there is certainly nothing wrong with this hotel, plus you have the added bonus of using all the facilities of the Casa Marina Reef.

Loved the Hotel

I know this is a little late, but we went to the D.R. in March and had a wonderful time. I went with my husband and 11 year old daughter. we stayed in building #1 and it was great. We read alot of reviews about the older buildings and that if you could you should try to get into one of the newer ones. We stayed in room 117. It was very clean and we had a small gazebo just outside our patio doors. Witnessed a couple of weddings while we were there. If there were any problems the staff was there right away to fix it. The food was good and the wait staff were always pleasant. Even though they say that tips are included with your allinclusive we always left a couple of dollars on the table. We met a great couple(M&C) from the U.S. and had a blast with them. The weather was amazing and there was always lots to do, from water polo to volley ball, you could stay busy all the time if you wanted. The only thing we didn't like was on a certain night of the week they allow the venders to come onto the property and sell their wears.Don't get me wrong I have nothing against them trying to make a living it is just that they can be a little pushy sometimes. Anything that we did off site we booked with the guys from the hotel.We didn't get a chance to do this this time but, if you are a horse lover then you HAVE to go horse back riding with Chiqito he walks around the beach you can't miss him. The price is right for a full days adventure. We had such a good time that we are planning a two week stint next year at the CASA MARINA BEACH.
See you there M&C.

Advice for English Holiday Makers

I am writing this report for the benifit of all English holiday makers.It is as trueful as i can make it. I will tell you things that the reps will not mention. My holiday took place between 18TH August ?
1st September 2003 The holiday location is a good as you can get , beautiful views and an excellent beach.The accomadation is clean , but i would advise any visitors who are allocated rooms in the old building near the small pool ( near the italian restuarant ) to change them immeadiately .Under no circumstances accept them as they are of poor quality and condition.If you can possibly manage any stairs try for a top floor in the other building ( 4 flights of stairs ) , by having one of these rooms you will not hear any noise during the night . Do not book any trips with the holiday reps , but use Mels tours outside the hotel ( cost saving between 50 % / 70 % ) for the same tour .You can also change any money here for a much better rate about 10% difference.
An example of this is as follows Monster Truck $80 with reps , Jeep Safari with Mel $23 a very large saving. The hotel allows local traders to have market stalls inside the hotel 3 nights a week , this can be daunting with for ever being asked to check their wares all the time.
At the weekends from Friday 3pm till Sunday 2pm the hotel allows domincans weekenders to visit .they are mainly from the Santiago and Santa Domingo areas . These people treat the hotel like Butlins and are very noisy , ignorant and will just force there way past you. Service becomes poor at the weekends due to the influx of visitors . I would advise anyone to book trips for at least the Saturday and also use the Bookable restuarants for Friday & Saturday night. I just wanted to pre- warn visitors what to expect , but please do not put off by these comments as the holdiday itself was perfect and very enjoyable , you just need to plan the weekends. If you like to snorkle try the area around the rocks near the aqua centre as you will see numerous fish & octopus . The area also has many coral reefs. I would recomend a vist to puerto plata and travel by the local taxi outside the hotel $35 for the day and you will be taken where ever you want to go. Suggested places visit the monument , fort , centre parc , amber Musem , Cable car etc. I hope that you do enjoy your holiday as much as we did and i would have liked to have known the pitfalls before we arrived .These comments as aply to the Casa Marina Beach Hotel ( most of the weekend visitors actually stay in this hotel.

Worried?

We booked this trip totally last minute, and were so worried about booking this trip and this hotel. We booked on Friday at 4pm and left on Sunday (Sept.14) at 3am, and I only had about 2 hours to look into this vacation. So needless to say the pressure was on to make the right hotel choice! Let me say that this hotel was GREAT!!!! I can't even tell you why this hotel only has a 3 star rating. Here is the deal...there are two hotels on the resort, Casa Marina Beach and Casa Marina Reef. The Reef is a better hotel but there is no difference in the offerings of the resort, you get the same no matter which hotel you stay. Here are some of the greats; 4 pools, 4 hot tubs, private beach, 5 places to eat (3 a la carte type and 3 buffet style, one doubles as both (the Mexican place)). ADVISE!! Do not let them put you into Building number 6!! This is an older building and you will not be happy there, the rooms are clean but they are visibly very old. Buildings 1, 2, 3, and 4 are great! We stayed in building 1 room 145 (on the 4th floor). We never saw even one bug! If they put you in Building 6, complain and they will correct the situation very fast. DO NOT BUY GIFTS from the vendors that they allow into the resort every other night as they are a complete rip-off. If you have good bartering skills go for it, but the hotel gifts shopps are the best price and best place for exchange rates (29 pesos RD for 1 USD). THE NIGHTLY ENTERTAINMENT was the best. I'm 25 and my girl friend 24, and thought that the night entertainment was great (really funny). LASTLY the daily activity coordinators team was the best, we hung out with these guys and had a blast, they are all nice and Love their job (but hate their boss) and it really does show that they love doing what they do!!! THIS PLACE IS HUGE, BEAUTIFUL, GREAT FOOD (sea scape was one of the best dinners I have ever had (mixed grilled)), NICE ROOMS....YOU WILL HAVE A BLAST!!!!
Say hello to Felix, Sugar, and Francisco from Chris and Lisa!!

HAVE FUN and Feel free to e-mail me for additional info!

bloody earthquake!!!!

my trip to casa marina beach was not without adventure. on arrival, we had very attentive hotel staff waiting to help us with our luggage, which was great as we hadn't slrpt for over 20 hours!! rooms were basic but very clean with maid service daily, (not first thing at morning either so you could get a sleep in!!). after unpacking my partner, daughter and i went out and about the complex and were absolutely bowled over by the beauty of dominican republic and the hotel grounds themselves. it really was perfection!! after managing to stay awake for what would have been about 30 hours (to ward off the jet lag!), we decided we'd take in an early night. we'd been in bed for an hour and 40 mins, when suddenly the patio doors woke us shaking like there was a poltergeist in the room, we got out of bed and realised the room was swaying and the bed was bouncing all over the room!!!! we uttered a few choice words, grabbed some clothes and ran down to reception to find out what the problem actually was. we spent the night, along with hundreds of others, in the hotel car park, which was the only place we could go that wasn't surrounded by buildings. it was here we were told we had suffered an earthquake measuring 6.7 on the richter scale!!!
this was scary to a brit who doesnt deal with earthquakes!!! my first day on my dream island and they suffer only the 2nd earthquake known in the history of the island!!! we finally got back into rooms which were a bit battered and broken, but structurly sound, and managed to catch a few hours sleep before going out to see exactly what had happened to our beautiful holiday. once outside the hotel, where you didnt see any of the cracks in plaster, it was like nothing had happened, the hotel grounds had been tidied and the staff were still just as friendly and helpful despite most of them being awake all night. everything turned out to be the perfect holiday i had hoped it would be, and that was mainly down to the bar, resteraunt, hotel and entertainment staff (especially the entertainment staff!!!). a big thank you to all staff in the hotel and the people who kindly let us into their homes on the excursions, truly a nation of beautiful people!!

What a show!

14th August 2003 I have just returned from a stay at this complex and had the most fantastic time. All of the Kikos team were brilliant - they led enjoyable activities during the day and the shows in the evening were totally amazing. The hotel (along with the Casa Marina Reef next door) was excellent. All of the staff were ultra-efficient and the food was of a very high quality, with lots of choice. Ulitimately, it was the Kikios entertainment team who made our holiday; they were professional, hard-working and full of fun! I would recommend this complex to anyone. Kirsten Wylie

casa marina beach hotel

by jo38

hi my partner and i are off to sousa to get married mid october can anyone let us know what the weather will b like and if they have seen any weddings taken place

Re: casa marina beach hotel

by Cupcakje

don't forget to explore the rest of Samana, rent a motorbike, quad or 4x4 jeep (http://www.samana.net/cars.html) and go to Las Terrenas, with its European influence because it is different, relaxed, clean, and looks like a picture postcard Caribbean paradise. From Las Terrenas you can visit the Cascade (“El Salto”) of El Limon (a 40 meter high waterfall hidden in the mountains, only accessible on horseback), Playa Rincón Beach (considered one of the best in the DR), Los Haitises National Park (with large expanses of mangroves, subtropical forests, and seagrass beds), or visit the modern town of Sánta Barbara de Samaná where you can take a whale-watching excursion from late January to March. (www.dr1.com)

Re: casa marina beach hotel

by Cupcakje

hey, i found the site i was looking for for you
http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/wedding.html that shoudl answer a lot of questions

Comments