Hotel Waterfront

Sosua Beach, Sosua, Caribbean

Satisfaction Average

More about Sosúa

Piranha - OceanworldPiranha - Oceanworld

Huge arn't they !Huge arn't they !

Diving initiationDiving initiation

large schoollarge school

Travel Tips for Sosúa

My Underwater Snorkeling Pictures

by soundsgoodtome

I was only at Sosua for one day, where I spent most of my time snorkeling right off the beach. It was amazing how much coral and marine life was so close to shore here! I regret that the only pictures I have from Sosua are underwater, except for a very nice postcard with an arial view of the beach I was at. I believe I gave this to my sister. Also, I'd like to note that upon my arrival here, I was quickly approached by one local who offered to sell me some pot. I was kinda confused at first about why he asked me, but I later realized that I was probably the only person that got off the bus I rode there on that looked like a possible customer for him. In this respect, I was kinda sorry that I was not able to do any business with him. (No I am not a pothead) This is the best upclose picture I took of a single fish. I'm not sure what species it is, but it sure is beautiful.

This picture showcases some of the diversity of tropical fish found here.

I followed a couple of fairly large schools of fish around for an hour or so. It was interesting to see how they interacted with each other, as well as with other species of fish they came in contact with. Yes, I am a biologist in training.

This was my best attempt to get an up-close photograph of a school of fish. Other than my finger being caught on the right side of it, the picture turned out quite clear, giving a good view of a couple of different species of fish.

Here is another fairly large school of fish. Pretty good photo all around, I wish it could've been a little lighter though so you could see all the colors better.

Here a smaller school of fish is travelling towards me between two coral formations.

This small fish seems to be staring at the large coral formation in front of him.

"The Elusive Puffer"

I have saved my prize photograph from Sosua for last. The puffer fish has always been one of my favorites, simply because it is so interesting/weird/funny-looking. I did not call it elusive for nothing, however. This little fish eluded my friend and I for near an hour. We only had one underwater camera, which we took turns using. Once we both realized there was a puffer around, or maybe even more than one, we knew we had to get a picture of it.

However, we both spent at least a half an hour each hunting it down because every time one of us would finally find it, the other would have the camera. By the time we could get the camera from the other and get back to where we saw it, it was already gone. So finally, after who knows how long, I was able to get this one picture from about 8 feet away. It was pretty deep here and I am no master snorkeler. Even enlarged, the puffer is hard to see and not very big. Despite this, I will cherish the photo forever, if not for what it portrays, then for the hard work it took to get it.

Comments