Carreterra Sanchez Km 5, Caribbean

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Provincia de Samaná

Police StationPolice Station

Museum signMuseum sign

Looking along the waterfrontLooking along the waterfront

Grave with small building on itGrave with small building on it

Travel Tips for Provincia de Samaná

Discover Samaná

by grandmaR

"December 15th - a Sea Day"

We got up too late to get breakfast in any of the dining rooms, so we had it in the buffet. We went to trivia, and there were so few of us that we had to have just us on our team. We had lunch in the dining room and I had a tropical fruit compote kind of thing and Bob had tuna salad as an appetizer, and then we both had pineapple and vanilla bean soup (cold), and meatloaf, and bread pudding for dessert.

We went to the lecture on Writers of the Caribbean and then we couldn't decide whether we needed to get dressed up for lobster night or not. The plan of the day wasn't clear. Also the Fun Trivia was at 4:45 about the same time as the second lecture (4:30) and we knew this trivia would be on food so we wanted to do that. So I compromised and wore a dress but not one that I would call formal and we went to triivia and then I stayed in the bar and waited for Bob to go down and change and meet me for dinner.

We went back to the Indigo again and this time were at a larger table with people that we were more able to interact with. We had the seafood cocktail, which had one big shrimp on the top and scallops and other little shrimp in it. The pumpkin and ginger bisque was supposed to have lump crab meat in it, but none of us found any.

The main dish (Seafood Extravaganza) had two spears of asparagus, some scallops, a couple of mussels, one lobster tail, a shrimp and a piece of fish with noodles. I missed having butter to dip some of the stuff in. For dessert, I had creme brulee which had a bottom layer of what tasted like chocolate pudding.

After dinner, we went to the show which was called Sea Legs.which was kind of a Vegas type review. There were some chorus girls, a ballet pair, and a girl and a man who performed on a rope hanging over the stage, and a male and female singer There didn't appear to be any live muscians with this.

The initial announcement was not to video tape or photograph using a flash and I figured if I didn't use a flash it would be OK. After this show, however, they just said "No photography"

"December 16- Sunday"

Today we were in Samaná which is a providence on a peninsula of the Dominican Republic and is also the name of a town. We are anchored and have to tender in. So it was good that I had booked a tour, because tour gets priority in tendering. We were supposed to meet in the theatre (forward of our room) at 9:45. They were using our lifeboats to tender.

Our tour was called Discover Samaná , and was to be at 1000 for 3.5 hours. By the time we got to the dock it was about 1040. I think the port made a bad impression on a lot of people because the water and beach area there was full of trash. People from the DR don't seem to mind having trash all over.

We got on our bus and it started off and immediately we made the first turn, the engine died. It took a few minutes to get started again. The tour took us past La Churcha which had been brought from somewhere else and reassumbled here. Apparently this area originally had quite a few English speaking people in it, but Trujillo made it illegal to teach children any language but Spanish.

Since it was Sunday, most of the shops were closed. We drove to a place which was apparently called Colonia Rancho Espanol where we had a rest stop and opportunity to drink a local drink and buy stuff (mostly Hatian I think although it said Arte Dominicano).

I went down to a little church and cemetery and took some photos there.

We passed a car wash (which apparently doubles as a casino and bar), a fancy hotel, a baseball (or softball) game, and drove by a long beach to a little village, with a small airport.

Then we turned around and went back to Samaná (which is pronounced with the accent on the last syllable). Here we stopped at the whale museum and the guide gave us a tour. We (Bob and I) used the bathroom, which was one of those that you put the TP in the wastebasket and not in the toilet.

Then he dropped people who wanted to shop at the area where the shops were open for us, and took the rest of us back to the dock. We walked aboard the tender about 1410 - after having our hands sanitized, and showing our ship card. The boat was crowded, and was a round bottom which was pounding through the seas, even as calm as the water was.

After we went through the Xray procedure, and dropped our stuff at the room, we went to the buffet because by then it was 1445 and the restaurant was closed. I got some pumpkin cubes and some sauteed zuchini and a tiny tuna sandwich on a little hard roll. Then I got ice cream - or actually pineapple sherbert. Bob got a hambuger.

For dinner we went to the Summer Palace (which is styled after the Russian Tsar's Summer Palace), and were seated by the window with another couple where we could watch the sunset.

I had something called Fresh Fruit Minestrone which was a kind of fruit cocktail thing and not soup. As an entree, Bob had the catfish and I had the baked spinach and veal cannelloni. I had the warm pinapple crepes with coconut ice cream for dessert and Bob had the flourless chocolate cake. He went to the magic show after dinner, and I took the computer to the atrium to watch the football game.

Tomorrow is Roadtown, Tortola