Villas del Mar, Juan Dolio, Dominican Republic, 4750, Caribbean

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 25% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• ALunaR's Profile Photo

caribeean paradise

I was there last year and was one of the best experiences ever! People are really friendly, the rooms are really confortable and the food? Super delicious! They have american food, dominican, mexican and also french! Best of all the price is affordable. Strongly recomended!!!

Unique Quality: It has confortable bedrooms, 4 pools and the sea is right there if you don't want to bathe in the pools. A variety of restaurants and a spa to relax the whole day!

• Eric&Eira's Profile Photo

Barcelo Capella Hotel, Juan Dolio

A very good experience all round. Before arriving checked lots of reviews on VT and others and to be frank was a little worried, not one single complaint of the hotel , staff or any of the facilities.
    Although we are English we can speak a little Spanish and I think it does help and we found the staff to be very helpful and polite, far more polite than some of the guests which may account for the problems some 'guests' have. Although an all inclusive an odd $1 tip here and there gets a lot of smiles and drinks when the bar is busy.
    The food was really good, a hot and cold buffet with plenty of choices and for a little extra you can book one of the Restaurants with table service and meals such as Lobster which do not appear at the buffet, we booked them for Fridays and Saturdays when the hotel was really busy with lots of Dominican families having a weekend stay making the buffet restaurants very busy and finding a table difficult.
    The beach was wonderful and the reef had lots of interesting fish some of which is only 10 yards from the beach! swimming shoes may be required as there are lots of spikey urchins near the reef and broken coral but dont stand on the coral please.
    Driving in the Dominican Republic is an experience not to be undertaken by the faint hearted, everyone assumes they have 'right of way' and intends to use it, most crossroads will put the fear of god into you, traffic lights seem to be for decoration purposes only as are car indicaters, lights, wings windows etc, most drivers on the odd motorway pick a lane and seem to stay in it for the duration of their trip, every lane is an 'overtaking' lane.
    I would return but will next time get a transfer and not self drive.

Directions: Juan Dolio, South East Coast

• Exceeded expectations

After reading many posts about this resort I was very skeptical about staying here. My selef and two other friends just got boack last week (6/2007) and I have suprisingly mostly great things to say about my stay. The grounds are very well kept, the staff is extremly nice, helpful and entertaining at times. The pools were clean and the beaches were beautiful minus the few solicitors here and there. The food was not fantastic, you just have to gauge what looks safe to eat and what doesn't. you can't go wrong if you stick with the rice and beans and the safer looking meat. They did offer three restaurants for dinner if you can't stomach the buffet, just make sure to make your reservations at the front desk. Your room will have ants in it but what do you expect, your on an island. The rooms have a great cooling system. Watch out for the strong sun, i burned in a couple hours and if you run into Santiago on the beach, take him up on his horse backriding trip, at $35 per person for three hours it is worth it. Great way to meet natives that do not work in the resort. If you pick this place for vacation just go in with realistic expectations. You get waht you pay for, if you want 5 star accomadations stay in punta cana, but if you want a fun time for a reasonable price stay here. I can contest that hte drinks are not too watered down, there are a few hours i spent at the pool bar that i still can't account for. Have fun!!!

• Horrible - Construction, Bad Food and Service

My family and I went there over Christmas 2006. They were constructing a man-made beach. There was a huge rusty metal pipe going the entire length of the beach, bulldozers, cranes and construction workers all day long. Little children were crying because they had to walk over poorly constructed bridges to get over this huge pipe to get to the beach. One woman was lying in the sand and had a bulldozer honking at her and construction workers screaming at her to get out of the way. Don't believe me, check out a video on youtube:

Also, everyone gets the runs from the food which is totally inedible. It requires a very creative chef to make food that awful! The mattresses were moldy and the rooms stank of mold. The hotel staff when asked about the construction replied "what construction?". In complete seriousness.

Oh, and the drinks are so watered down it's virtually impossible to get liquored enough to get a slight buzz to take away some of the pain from this vacation from hell. My family was crying over it after the first day.
    NO refund! Never use Liberty Travel!

Unique Quality: This place isn't worth a penny. I should have been paid to put up with this for a week. The entire first day was spent on the phone with the travel agency trying to leave.

• hawk460's Profile Photo

Not a bad hotel at all!!!!!!!!!!

Ok.Folks,,this is a nice resort to go to for the money,,,,the grounds are very well kept,,,pools are excellent,,rooms are passable,,,A/C works great,,,we were in room 4307,,the resort itself covers a large area,so walk around and get aqainted with the lay out.
    The gift shops are somewhat pricey for what they have,,go across the street,from the hotel to the corner minimall area,,,a lot better exchange on your money than the hotel,,it does have a lot of different things there,just take a very short walk and look around some,,like every where else in DR,just say no gracia,,and you can haggle over some of the things there!
    About the tours there,,go to the Pietro tours and check out their tours,,we went on a half day tour to Santo Domingo and San Pedro,,worth the money I thought($35.00 @ person).
    The only thing I seen as a bad item is that they have No Wake-Up calls!!!!
    I would recommend this resort,,well satisfied here.

Unique Quality: At checking in not a problem,quick,,we arrived saturday night(Oct.7-11,2006). The front desk was alright,,just try to speak a little spainish and that breaks the ice,,they speak very good english.
    The food was just great,,never got sick at all,,eat and enjoy!!!
    About the beach vendors,,they are there in force,,just haggle a lot,their somewhat persistent but they didn't bother me that much.The beach is rocky in areas,just go down by the west part.
    The bars were great too,,you get your moneys worth,,,let the rum flow!

Directions: Juan Dolio beach area

More about Barcelo Capella Beach Resort

Not near, but not far in the D.R.

by travelintraina about Barcelo Capella Beach

Adequate rooms. Most of them were decent size with tile floors and great A/C. A few of them had a little bit of mildew in the A/C vent and were really humid. It's an all-inclusive resort and really has just about everything you want onsite unless you want a casino. And even then that's a short shuttle bus away. It's not a 5 star kind of place, but more like 3 1/2 or 4. It's got everything you need and is a good place to get away from every day life.

That being said, I was here on a business trip and wasn't able to take advantage of everything they had to offer. 2 buffet restaurants, 1 french restaurant, and 1 grill. 3 bars, a late night disco, and shows every night in a large amphitheater. Plenty of choices. 2 pools, right on the beach with plenty of shady palm trees.

The real deal on Barecelo Capella

I'll begin by saying that overall, I had an positive experience at Barcelo Capella, when I went there in May 2002. I had no problems with the staff (although they weren't the most friendly and cheerful people I've ever encountered), as I'm sure they haven't had the benefit of extensive customer satisfaction training, as what we are accustomed to in the USA unfortunately. The service was however, satisfactory, although I didn't encounter and real problems which required quick resolution. In terms of the food at the buffet, I thought it was excellent, most notably the wide variety of fresh tropical fruit which was so sweet and delicious. There was also a variety of local fish and Dominican dishes which were good and didn't make me sick, and I have a sensitive stomach. I did however, stick to bottled water even while brushing my teeth and I didn't request any ice in my beverages. The resort grounds were very beautiful. There were tropical plants, bushes, and flowers around every corner, not to mention roaming peacocks and pink flamingos by the lobby. I was disturbed to read a review in which a tourist complanined about the lobby being an open gazebo set up. I can't understand for the life of me why someone would complain about the heat from the sun! The Caribbean is hot!!! So, you should expect high temperatures anywhere outside. The veiw of the premises from the lobby is breath taking! The nightly shows/entertainment was a bit cheezy, but the merengue dancing was slightly entertaining. One night of the resort entertainment was enough though. We ventured out off the premises the last 2 nights, and ended up at merengue clubs in a nearby city/town. The only thing that wasn't offered but would have been helpful was transportation to Santo Domingo, Punta Cana, or Puerto Plata, and other tourist attractions for those who would have liked to venture out beyond the resort. I don't recall legitimate transportation being readily available (ie. taxis, and buses) and it was hard to arrange on ouruch to be desired, but overall I had a great time and am looking forward to my next visit to BC Memorial week in May. Hopefully, things will go just as smoothly. Please feel free to email me with any questions or concerns.

Awesome

I am appauled by some of the rudeness in these reviews. I have visted Capella Beach resort 3 times and each time gets better than the next. The staff is so hard working and kind, and the people on the beach made the trip so fun. The food was good, the pool was beautiful, and spots on the beach were nice. The nightly shows were hilarious, and the discoteque was a great ending to the night. All and all this resort was an excellent vacation for my family.

This Resort is AWESOME value

I dont know if the Barcello Company simply has different standards than the rest of the world because it isnt a 5-star resort. Maybe Las Vegas has the right idea by introducing an additional 6th star - Realizing that the 5-star rating is being abused. Dont misunderstand me; the Capella resort isnt bad. My vacation was awesome. In fact the resort is very close to a 5-star resort. I just dont think that it compares to some of the other 5-start resorts Ive been to. Its the niceties like a clean-vendor-free white sand beach, crystal clean pools and very rich-tasting food that push a 4.5-star to a full 5-star resort. But believe me when I tell you those were the only things that were lacking.Our days were filled with sun, sand, swimming, drinking, sleeping and satellite movies. One thing to note is that we were originally placed in the oldest the 4 hotel buildings. However, half way though our 7-day stay we asked to be moved to another room because of a noise issue out of the resort control. We were pleased when our Signature Vacations on-site representative hooked us up with a villa. The highlight of the vacation was definitely the additional full day (lunch-included) for a tour or Santo Domingo for additional $49US. We were escorted in an air-conditioned bus to the Fun Fun Caves, the Christopher Columbus memorial, the first-palace of the new world and the first cathedral of the new world, and finally a very crazy Dominican flea market where I purchased a set of bongo drums for dirt cheap. For lunch we were taken to an authentic Dominican restaurant where we ate the best food of our stay. All-in-all, I was 100% satisfied my first vacation in years!TransportationThe flight was great. Our Signature Vacations representative was waiting for us at the La Romana International Airport.GroundsUltra-clean! The staff works tirelessly day and night to make sure everything is well groomed.FoodThemed daily (Mexican, Dominican, American, French, Italian and Asian). The only thing is for some reason I couldnt expel m. But my girlfriend didnt have any problems until the last day so it could be a per-person thing.AccommodationsThe villas are the two buildings the left, in front of the 1000 building. Our particular package included an in-room safe satellite-tv and fridge that was stocked with Pepsi and bottled water. I didnt like that fact that the air-conditioning wasnt de-humidified. So while the rooms were air-conditioned it was a damp cool that made it somewhat uncomfortable to sleep in. But we did get used to it by the 2nd night. StaffGreat. We tipped just about every that handed us anything $1US each. Simply because realized that they probably arent paid very for all the hard work they do. And we appreciated that no one asked or insisted for a tip. SupportAs already mentioned there was no problems when I asked to change rooms. And when we asked to have a remote sent to our room they also fixed a problem we didnt notice in the door lock ; ).BeachThe beach was the least 5-star of the whole resort. While the water was warm and clean 2/3rds of the beach was rocky. And the other 3rd wasnt very clean as a result of everyone using that one section. However it was still nice. Id say its only slightly better than any beach we have here in Toronto. EntertainmentThe huge 700 seat outdoor theater was great. There were different shows each night. We saw two Spanish game shows hat were very funny to watch. There was also a very risqué cabaret that any guy will love : ) We didnt stay to watch, but there was also a nightly kids show. And I think thats it! Here are a few tips: If you ever have to wait in the lobby for any reason and its too hot the lower level is air conditioned. Leave a $1US tip for the maids daily.

All Inclusive...no problemo!!!

by TripAdvisor Member kreativekp

Yes! This resort was absolutely fabulous! I had the time of my life! The staff was curteous and very friendly when spoken to. Personally, I thought the buffet was just fine, there was more than enough to choose from! Yes, there is a language barrier (you ARE in another country). The little things that happen (like no hot water for 2 days is minor). I was in paradise...WHO CARES!!! The nightlife was a blast... a show everynight, then off to the disco. Dancing with a view of the ocean, as well as a cool breeze. It's all in the atitude that you go with... YOU will love this place! I plan to go again and i'm NOT waiting a year! Have fun :)

Enjoyed our stay

We just returned from our trip (3/2902-4/4/03) and had a fantastic time. I normally would not post any comments, but after reading some of these "negative" comments, I was concerned before we left. The resort is beautiful and well-maintained. The beach was a little disappointing because it was not an all white sand beach and not very deep, but on the east end of the resort the beach was very nice and the swimming great. The buffet food was fine and there was different food every lunch and dinner. The staff was very courteous and friendly. The nightlife entertainment was great, as was the disco. The pool bars were the best. We also took day trips to Santo Domingo and Bocachica and had a great time!

Comments