Costa Caribe Coral Beach Hotel & Casino

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Costa Caribe Coral Beach Hotel & Casino

Experience the Costa Caribe Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Timbmth

I had read the reviews and was approaching the holiday with an open mind. I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality, variety and quantity of food available in all of the restaurants. The accommodation was good and the room kept spotlessly clean. The staff were exemplary in all that they did be it tending the gardens, cleaning the beaches, bar staff, waiting staff or entertainment staff - all were excellent, courteous and extremely helpful. When we had a small concern with our room it was dealt with immediately and to our satisfaction. The whole experience was wonderful and I would recommend the hotel to anyone.

Great Family Vaca

This past fabuary our whole family took a vaca at the coral costa caribe! It was a blast... The staff was amazing... Chocolate friends were def. the outstanding!the beach was gorgeouse along withthe rest of the resort! i'd do it sabain in an instant!

Outstanding Vacation

The Costa Caribe Coral by Hilton is simply a stunning property. The food is incredible, with juicy steaks cooked perfectly to order, fresh vegetables, great sauces- you can tell immediately that Coral has put some effort into attracting truly professional chefs. Anyway, the resort is right on the beach, with a special wing dedicated to golfers: they even have a golf concierge, a private restaurant for early breakfast away from the rest of the crowd, shuttle to the country club, nightly club cleaning- really attentive to a golfers needs. Theres also a full-service spa (including massages on the beach, or in your room), a full-time entertainment troupe (Broadway style shows), several swimming pools, of course great bevys at all times, a 24-hour grill (delicious cheeseburger w/ sautéed onions and mushrooms at 3 AM!), modern disco, cool sports bar, professional Kids Camp with their own private pool and activity center (which even has an ultra clean air-conditioned room with bunk-beds for naps). Their golf course is the Guavaberry Golf & Country Club, designed by Gary Player.

Excellent hotel, minor faults

by TripAdvisor Member RetiredFolk

We have just returned from a 2 week holiday at the Costa Caribe by Hilton in the DR and it was a great success. Sure we had to pay $10 each to get in to the country and $20 each to get out, but this is nothing new in a developing country hungry for hard currency, and La Romana airport seems to be new so it was a much better experience than we had expected.

The hotel was very good with very polite and helpful staff, excellent food (both variety and quality), excellent cleanliness and hygiene, large comfortable and quiet bedroom with 2 king-size beds, ensuite bathroom and balcony overlooking one of the pools and the sea, TV clock-radio hairdrier coffee maker etc in room, beach continually being raked to keep it clean, great entertainment from Chocolate Friends and ... I could go on!

Nothing is perfect however. The bedroom and ensuite were unfortunately very 'tired'. I guess that this is a hang over from before Hilton took over in Feb/Mar 2003 and there is only so much that can be done in 6 months but at least the bed was comfortable and for most of our time in the room, our eyes were closed! The maid service was excellent at removing the towels and used water bottles etc but mostly forgot to replenish the supplies so it was an almost daily chore to request towels, coffee, water etc at reception. As soon as the request was made, the items were delivered to the room - pity it did not happen automatically!

The hotel had an occupancy rate of about 35% on weekdays and 100% on Friday night thru Sunday lunch when locals, mainly from Santo Domingo, came for a weekend away. During the week, it was idyllic but at weekends, it was manic. Advice from the tour rep to eat in one of the a la carte restaurants on Fridays and Saturdays is advice to be heeded!
There were always plenty of sunbeds but at weekends, it got a bit more 'intimate'!

There is very little to do outside the hotel except for organised trips. The 'village' of Juan Dolio seems to be on the way down, maybe since the dual carriageway was built which bypasses it. The few bars and restaurants were quiet and many apartment blocks and hotels were closed and up for sale. However, the variety of bars and restaurants at the Costa Caribe meant that we were always catered for at the hotel.

To sum up, it was a great holiday and the hotel did a very good job but would benefit from a few improvements. I would not rate it a 4* yet, more appropriately a 3*+. All the facilities are there but the rooms need some improvement.

Great Vacation Spot...here are some tips:

Santo Domingo, D.R. hosted the Pan American Games from August 1st to August 15th 2003. I decided to go & cheer for my son who was participating in the Games and have a vacation while there....I'm happy with my choice to stay at: Costa Coral Caribe. Here are some tips that you might find helpful:#1) I booked my vacation package with "expedia" - got a great deal BUT I had my package include an 8 hr. tour to Santo Domingo for an addn $43 each ( 3 of us )...to make a long story short...we were NOT booked on the tour we paid for and others paid $25 there in Santo Domingo for the same tour. All tour plans were a mess but got fixed simply because the employees (conciege, etc..) at Costa Coral are very eager to keep everyone happy.#2) Hotel Taxis charge double..!! I'm afraid I didn't have the courage to rent a car, so it was "taxi" time! I found a very honest and helpful taxi driver that charged approx. 1/2 price of the Costa Caribe taxi's..be aware..the hotel wants you to exclusively use their taxi's and do not like independant taxi's drivers around...but it's a free country..Here is the info on the Taxi guy we used: DON PEDRO, Home # 331-0264, Cell: 447-6499. Nice honest man but does not speak very much english- We would just meet him in the front of the Hotel...just look for the white taxi van with the luggage racks on top.#3 Buy your Souvenirs in town- save a ton! Hotel prices were 2-3 times higher then prices by an area called "El Conde" near the Cathedral. Post Office is also right there in front of the Cathedral- our post cards took 2 weeks to arrive though..Costa Coral Caribe Hotel in general was a thumbs up! The food was very good...try the fruit- sweetest papaya's I've ever eaten ! The Hotel crew would go above & beyond to accomadate you. Smiles everywhere! The Views were great..I'm a morning person..almost everyday I would get up at 6am and went for a swim in the carribean sea ..wow! it was like bath water- ( so warm!) Laguna beach, where I live is beautiful but freezing water!..my 6 AM pics came out so beautiful. The 9:45 PM Chocolate show was entertaining. I liked it when audience participants went up....what people will do for a token prize! My God, no limits! so funny! The hotel room was clean with a nice view of the sea. I admit, it was not an Embassey Suite BUT...the main things I was looking for in my vacation I had...friendly, clean, and fun atmosphere...plus protected...armed guards everywhere!.... I stayed for 6 days/nights and fell in love with Santo Domingo. I hope to go back sometime and just for the record...yes, I've been to many vacations spots- several Hawaii Islands, various Mexican resorts and Europe...Santo Domingo is right up there with my favorite all-time vacations. Well, that's my vacation story.....pat from California

Nice but beware...

I had read most of the reviews before going and was expecting the worst. However, we did run into a few hitches so here are the pros and cons and you decide: Pros: 1. Plenty of good food at the buffet 2. Beach/Pools were nice 3. Dominican restaurant (make reservations) was a pleasant change from the buffet (peace and quiet) 4. Overall good value and we got plenty of sun.Cons: 1. Don't expect your room to be ready when you arrive even though they tell you it is, they won't come and get you when it finally is. 2. DO NOT GO DEEP SEA FISHING. Husband is a fisherman and was appalled at the disrepair of the boat. Thought it was completely unsafe in fact waited an hour so they could finish repairing it then the boat broke down a few yards from the dock and crashed into a sail boat. The crew and captain did not know what they were doing and forget about catching any fish, reels and rods were broken. 3. DO NOT STAY ON THE WEEKEND. Locals overtake the resort and are basically rude. You almost have to fight to get food at the buffet as they let their children cut in line and it basically looks like a feeding frenzy. Good time to go to one of the restaurants. 4. Beware of the Mexican restaurant, however, good margaritas and salads but don't order anything with cheese as they use some sort of cheese wiz/velveeta stuff that made my husband a bit sick. 5. Don't expect your room to get repaired if needed. Let me explain: Water started coming out of the ceiling fan at 3:30am, called the front desk...called again at 5:30am (now an inch of water on the floor)...went to the front desk at 8:00am and was suprised that the problem had not been fixed (at this time, it was basically raining in our room and so was the bathroom)...went back to the room at 3:30pm, still raining (housekeeping put trash cans under all the drips and towels on the floor)...by 6:00pm we finally asked for a different room which was not as nice as our first room. They then told us that we had no choice as the hotel was booked, not so as everyone leordial and nice but by now I had had enough and firmly told them they had better find us a room equal to the one we paid for. They suddenly came up with a room and it was nicer then we had...hummmmm. 6. After about 5 days we got tired of having to do all of this so...... In conclusion we wouldn't recommend staying for more than 5-7 days and only during the week. Even with all that the first 7 days were nice and relaxing.

Better than we expected

Spent 4 nights at the Costa in early August 2003 and was pleasantly surprised. Being only our second All-Inclusive resort, we found it to be better than we had experienced in Cancun.

Our room was very nice and clean (in the new building) with a huge King sized bed. Only room problems were a couple of ants in the bathroom and a minor water leak at the supply fitting to the toilet. We never did receive washcloths and only got hand towels on Day 2 but we adapted.

We thought the food was above average, and we especially liked the Mexican Restaurant (reservations required). We ate at the buffet for breakfast every morning and twice for dinner. The food there was pretty good and plentiful - some "Mystery Meat" and local/ethnic favorites that we weren't too thrilled with - but once you figured out what you liked, it was pretty good. The baked items were all very good. Service was above average but you occassionally had to flag someone down. There seemed to be a silverware shortage - especially spoons - so the earlier you got there the better. The Snack Bar (near the beach) was OK, but nothing newsworthy. Didn't try the Dominican restaurant.

Staff was friendly and most spoke - or at least understood - English.
My favorite bartender was Jose at the Bohio bar - a $5US tip early in your stay goes a long way. If you need a cab, we used a gentleman named Lucas and he was terrific. We used him to go to a baseball camp (an hour away) and the airport twice and each trip was about $30US. We probably could have done better but we felt he earned it. His van was very clean, he spoke English fairly well and he didn't drive like a stunt driver. We have his card and intend to book him should we get back to the area.

Facilities were very clean and the pool/beach area are very nice. The nicer rooms are in the newer set of buildings near the Tennis Courts.
Compared to the rooms in the main building, they were quieter and in better shape. There is no air conditioning in the lobby or restaurants.
Being from South Florida, this required an adjustment but it was tolerable.

Overall, it did not quite meet what I consider to be "Hilton" standards, but I understand they just took over the property within the last year so I expect improvement. The Costa is not necessarily our new "favorite" resort, but we certainly would stay there again.

Loved the Costas Caribe resort!!

We thoroughly enjoyed the week..We had a room near the tennis courts.
It was a very nice room, clean . We had to ask for coffee a couple of times to go with the coffeemaker, but received everything we asked for.
The beach was beautiful, really like all the shaded areas. We like the buffets, varied selection..delicious desserts..Breakfasts were great.
Service was friendly and efficient.We loved the Mexican Restaurant..Went there on the weekend. And glad, the buffets were jammed on the weekend..at the hotel. The favorite beachbar was down the road near the beautiful secluded pool. I enjoyed the aerobic classes.
The internet room was impressive with the speed of the computers.. The tennis courts were nice . Entertainment ok. We really had no complaints, and I was relieved to feel healthy all week. We have attended several all inclusive resorts and usually felt ill after the third day, but here , quality was really good. We took 2 tours, one to Saona and one truck-safari. enjoyed both. A beautiful vacation, I would definitely return.

Disturbed Tourist

First of all, the staff is overwhelmed by the guest and locals registering at this hotel. It takes at least three hours to get your room. And to myself and my daughters dismay on entering our room, the Top cover smelled of an orgy stinch. It took us hours to get a clean change. There was a vauge smell of bowel movement in the bathroom. Yet, bearable, (if you didn't think about it. Outside bathrooms were even worse. After three days, I stopped using them. The pond outside was filthy, where the poor turtles and tiny fish roamed. The beach was appauling, because there were cigarret butts, all over, pieces of napkins and God knows what eles. Also by the water sports area are so many minced up sea shells. In other words the sand does not feel good on your feet. Nevertheless, I could not get over the patience, pleasantness and sense of wanting to accomodate tourist with the best, from the staff there. If the Hilton will clean up the beach, plumbing, give more than two towels a day and clean the pond. we will return.

Very honest review

I stayed at the Caribe for my honeymoon in June 2000. As I had never travelled as far for a holiday before, or read any reviews, didn't know what to expect. I loved the place straight away - we had a room with a pool and sea veiw on the second to top floor - beautiful views! The hotel was clean and the staff very friendly but not intrusive - if you wake up early enough you see them meticulously cleaning the pool and grounds. The food was fine, although there were some files round the buffet and you had to guess what the meat was! The resturants were great - best to book as soon as you get there.The pools are fantastic, especially the swim-up bar! - TIP --- go across the road from the main hotel to the smaller pool, it's as nice as the big one and we had it mostly to ourselves, including the jacuzzi!The beach was lovely with a big shallow area for swimming and it was never too crowded.Go on the Saona trip if you can - snorkeling (take a waterproof camera) and a visit to the Baccardi island.One critisim is about the time share offices on site - the reps aren't too pushy but will approach you - don't be drawn into the office - we lost half a day to them!!! Tell them you don't bring a credit card on holiday and they will go away.We are going back to the Dominican this year based on our experience at this hotel. Just remember you are in a developing country and some things aren't the same as at home but they really do try!!

Beach in Juan Dolio with its little greenish wateBeach in Juan Dolio with its little greenish wate

Beach at the CapellaBeach at the Capella

Hotel groundsHotel grounds

Gardens at the CapellaGardens at the Capella

Going to the Dominican Republic

by DanielWells

Hi! My wife and I are going to The Costa Caribe Coral by Hilton Resort in the Dominican Republic. We are a couple of old hippies that like to regress into our former selves when we vacation. Any pointers on how to act, what to see, and what to be aware of on our trip? The resort looks great but there is no substitute for experience. If you could help us out, please drop us a line either here or email at dakawells@msn.com Thanks Dan and Karron

Comments