Barra de Santiago Hotels

Our Members Say

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 4938

Capricho Beach House

Capricho Beach House has the same owner as Ximena’s Guest House in San Salvador. When I emailed the owner Lena about the rooms I got a very quick respond. At Capricho there is a very rustic dorm and four double rooms. The double rooms cost about 50 dollars, which was too expensive for me. I emailed Lena and asked for a single room, or single rate. At this time I had got doubts about going to Barra de Santiago as I was afraid to be very isolated there. But as I got the answer from Lena that I could have a room for 25 dollars per night (June 2009) I decided to go. After arriving I paid 50 dollars for two nights, but decided to leave after one night. I then got 20 dollars back.

My room at Capricho Beach House was nice and clean with two beds (one double and one single), there was A/C which I didn’t use and a bathroom with a shower. There is a nice veranda outside the room facing the garden where it is nice to sit and read and listening to the sound of the waves. Things that were not so good: when showering water did not go away, curtains didn’t close completely and I was still hungry after breakfast and dinner.

After arriving to Barra de Santiago I spent my day walking on the beach, laying in the hammock reading and waking on the beach again. It was all very calm and relaxing. There were no guests at the hotel next doors and no other guests at Capricho’s (it was in the middle of the week). After I had had my dinner and the woman working there had cleaned up and returned to her house further away I was sitting alone with half a bottle of beer in the light. It was all dark around and even if I had heard that Barra de Santiago is a safe place it felt like the spotlights were on me telling everyone that here was a lonely tourist, an easy target. It would have been nice if there had been some other guests there as well.

• Opinion of Price: N/A