3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Paseo general Escalon No. 4711 | Col. Escalon, Sonsonate, El Salvador

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Royal Decameron Salinitas

Best time ever loved it!! will definately visit again

by TripAdvisor Member worldholidayaddict

I have no idea why the negative nannies here write bad reviews, my family and i (4 of us) stayed there a week and had the best time of my life!. The entertainment crew were incredibly fun, they talked u into joining in with all their events, the bar staff were very friendly - they even started inventing new drinks for me to try whenever i came up to bar that werent on th menu hehe. I was taken out to dance on the dance floor in the casino by the entertainment crew. When our airconditioner started leaking they had no hesistation at all in changing our room immediately at midnight - we were amazed. The attention was fabulous. I cant wait to return to this type of resort again, i plan to visit all Decameron Salinitas resorts whenever i travel to latin america again. Wish we had this type of good value resort in Australia.
I do agree however that the beach was a bit disappointing as it was too rocky and difficult to swim in though - so there is the downfall. Oh if you go, you must try the Sauna... its a herbal tribal thing they do - so cool - great for the skin.

Very very disappointted.....

by TripAdvisor Member Gepo1966

Before I write my review I would like to make clear that El Salvador is not a popular place for tourism.. is a country with many and severe social and economical problems that is struggling to survive... so safety is a huge concern it doesn't matter where you stay.... the hotels and restaurants they do not meet the american standards of quality and service... and the Royal Decameron Salinitas is not the exception.. the attention to the customer and the food are terrible... the drinks are served in small plastic cups including the beer.. this was really disgusting because I had to go to the bar to get my drink many many times... the rooms are so..so the A/C unit are kept at a very low power in order to "save" energy... the beds are cheap.. the decoration is mediocre and as I said before...nothing meet the standards for the american tourism (USA).. however for people from some other parts of the world this place could be OK... the positive things about the Royal Decameron are the beach, the salt water pools and the gardens... this is the only positive stuff that I could mention... the customer service is bad... bad.. they do not like to take credit cards and demand 2-3 ID's in order to accept your credit card payment.. they even ask for a local telephone number... you can also see security guards carrying weapons and the attitude of most of the staff are "unfriendly" I strongly recommend people to think twice before coming to this place and if you do it try to stay for 2-3 days maximun because you will get bored and annoyed with the service at this place... better go to Dominican Republic!!!

A very nice resort hotel

by Massawippi about Royal Decameron Salinista

This is the only all inclusive hotel that I have gone back to.
As a regular independent traveller, I very rarely purchase a backage deal but every November, there is this very cheap deal from Montréal and this will be my third time there. All rooms have an ocean view.
Pools are great and water is warm.
Lots of chairs and greenery.
Not too many North American.
Nice selection of day trips to make.
Very clean and friendly staff.

Great trip !

by TripAdvisor Member LovetoTravelToronto

After staying at other all inclusives, we had very low expectations of the Royal Decameron Salinitas.
However, we were pleasantly surprised ! This is from a family that is picky about room cleanliness and in particular about their food !
We stayed there for 1 week over Christmas 2006. The bus ride from the airport to the resort was approx. 1.5 hours; which we were aware of. The guide on the bus was very friendly with excellent English, and upon getting on the bus we were given cold drinks with a snack box.
The resort is located in what seems to be the middle of a rural area; there is NOTHING else around there.
Upon arrival at the resort, check in was quick and our rooms were ready.
The rooms are clean and neat; no complaints there.
If you require an extra key for the room, they charge $ 15 but it is refundable upon departure. Safety deposit boxes in the room are charged at a cost of $ 2/day.
The beach is not the best; mostly due to the tides. When the tide is low, there is about 6" of water in the ocean ! However, once it comes back in, the water is so warm.
I would advise those who love a nice beach to take advantage of the shuttle bus to Playa Azul; approx. 30 minutes from the hotel that must be booked in advance. There is a 9:00 departure which returns at 2pm and an 11:00 departure returning at 4pm.
This beach is in a private area owned by the hotel; complete with bar, grill offering delicious chicken, hamburgers and chips. this is all no charge.
When we were there, the waves reached approx. 15 feet; my kids had a terrific time body surfing !
Hotel food; breakfasts were yummy; omelettes made to order, pancakes, French toast, fruit, delicious croissants, cereal, etc.
Lunches were fine; hamburgers, chicken burgers, salads, grilled chicken, as well as the large buffet which we never ate at.
For dinner; again, we only ate at the main buffet twice; once on our arrival night and again on Christmas Eve in which they made a special dinner.
There are 4 a la carte restaurants (no charge, but must be booked in the lobby across from the front desk; you can book up to 3 nights in advance). There is a steak restaurant which was really good, the seafood and Italian were fine (although the portions were small in the Italian; my kids ordered 2nd dinners) and the Thai was very good; just beware the MSG !
All restaurants offered soup and appetizers buffet style which included olives, salads, cheese cubes, etc. Dessers were also offered.
The main buffet was somewhat iffy for dinner, again, miles ahead of what we have had at other resorts in the past, but we preferred the restaurants.
Alcohol was plentiful but no name brands, much to my husband's chagrin.
Staff doesn't speak much English except at the front desk and tour office; but they are very friendly and accomodating.
We did two tours; one was the Mayan ruins tour (full day; very interesting) and a culture and crafts tour (1/2 day, also great).
We were disappointed that the rain forest/ cloud forest tours weren't offered at this time of year. Not all tours are offered every day and there are minimum #'s required for some, so book early.
We were offered an English speaking guide who was very knowledgable and spoke fluent English.
Weather was hot and sunny every day; couldn't be better !
Nightlife; evening show every night and a disco; we opted to hang out at the pool bar and play cards/ shmooze most nights.
Also, there was no rush to get chairs in the morning; they were readily available anywhere most of the day; under the palapas, by the pools, etc.
All in all, we were very happy with this vacation and would most definitely recommend this resort !

We were disappointed :(

by TripAdvisor Member rivkarut

We just returned from staying a week at the Decameron Salinitas, El Salvador. We arrived January 9th and departed January 16th 2007. We were very disappointed in a few of our experiences there that I would like to tell about.

Before I tell the bad I want to tell the good.

What was good:

The staff, everyone had smiling faces, looked you in the eye and greeted you warmly as they approached. From the supervisors to the ground maintenance personal every seemed warm and genuine. The grounds of the resort were in a constant state of maintenance, someone was always trimming or raking or watering something. So the presentation of the facility was excellent. The appearance of the buildings was that of something well maintained and cared for. Several times we saw men spot painting to keep the paint looking fresh on the exterior of the buildings. The beaches were raked every morning. The massages were excellent. The lay out of the building was pretty good. The security was excellent!

Before I tell you what was bad it might interest you to know that we are Americans living in the Republic of Panama. The Latin American culture is not new to us. We have the same types of air conditioning units in our condo in Panama. We have the same type of concert buildings. We understand on demand hot water and how it works or doesn’t work. We are accustomed to the tropical climate.

Now for what was bad.

When we first came in to the room around 5 pm the air conditioner wasn’t cooling our unit. After about an hour we called to the front desk and they sent a couple of guys over to take a look. They removed the filter and cleaned it and used the gage to measure the temperature of the air leaving the unit and assured me everything was fine. After about 6 hours the room was finally cool enough to sleep. The total time we were there it was necessary except for a brief couple of morning hours to keep the drape closed our the air conditioning wouldn’t cool the room.

The bathroom in our unit was terribly inferior. Four out of seven days there was a strong odor similar to a septic tank that came from the shower floor drains. When taking a shower the water didn’t drain away in the shower floor and we were left standing in several inches of water before we could finish a quick shower. What was the most troubling about this is the sign that was clearly posted on the bathroom sink that said the water was non potable and that often the water in the sink and the toilet bowl was clearly a dingy tan color. They supplied us with bottled water which we used to brush our teeth and wash our face, but it was a bit discomforting to shower in this water and not wanting to get it in our eyes or even absorb it in your skin. I wondered if the towels and sheets had been washed in the same water. Which by the way our sheets weren’t changed for the entire week we were there. As I worried over the water I noticed there were ponds in the back of the facility that pooled together and then emptied into the lagoon at one end to the resort. Dare I say this and I hope I’m wrong, but I think this was the grey water the resort produces and it cycled into one end of the resorts lagoon. Several time I got a short whiff of the same odor that came from our bathroom when walking around the resort.

Since there were no refrigerators in the rooms we wanted to have an ice bucket keeping for medicine in our room. Well, it was like requesting a private sitting with royalty to achieve this. We were first told there was a nurse’s office on the compound that was available 24 hours a day and we could keep your medicine there in that office in that refrigerator. Guess what, when we went there it was locked up tight and no one was answering the door. So then we were told that we could keep the medicine in a refrigerator behind the front desk. Which we weren’t happy with this when we were showed where it was located, there too many employees were coming and going from the area. At the end of the second day we finally got an ice bucket and were able to keep the medicine with us. Later we earned part of the problem was probably that they have a strict no food in the rooms policy.

On a scale of 1 – 10 the food was a 2 or 3 at best. The main dinning area was ‘auto serve’ or self serve and that was fine but the food was not fresh. It was as if it had been prepared too far a head of time and then again there were dished severed that the vegetables weren’t completely cooked (like raw eggplant, yuck!) or the ceviche which is a raw fish that marinated in lemon, etc and if it prepared correctly the lemon juice cooks the fish. Both times we had the ceviche it was sashimi (raw). The salads on the salad area were the same 5 or 6 salads every day. The other restaurants that were by reservation only were also all precooked staged food. This is the way they have those set up. Everyone gets the same salad, the same sides and the same dessert; but you do have your choice of main dish. I watched as orders were filled the plates were filled with the once warm now cold vegetables and a lid on another stream tray was opened and the long ago cooked meat was added to the plate as a finishing touch.

The beverages are served in a 5oz plastic cup that is not filled to the top and there are signs saying that you may only request two drinks at a time. In the 7 days we were there we had about 6 drinks each. It wasn’t worth the effort of obtaining a drink; it seemed the resort management decided it would save money by under staffing the bar and having people wait on line. Less booze served, less payroll.

My husband and I were both happy when it was time to leave, but we both said how sad it was that a little extra effort wasn’t made in some of the areas that lack. It could have been a wonderful experience, but it just fell short in too many areas.

People who complain simply cannot be satisfied

by TripAdvisor Member thewigglers

Let me begin by saying my husband and I have travelled to destinations including LTI Costa Caribe Margarita Island, Decameron Panama and Marival Puerto Vallarta Mexico. All very highly rated resorts. The Decameron Salinitas is by far the most fabulous destination ever.

We travelled with a large group of about 65 people during the time of January 4th through to Janaury 11th and I believe I can speak for most of them saying it was fantastic. We were booked through Nolitours in Montreal.

We were a little skeptic travelling to ElSalvador to begin with seeing as it is fairly new to the tourism industry. All doubts were quickly gone upon arrival.

AIRPORT/TRAVEL TO THE HOTEL:

One of the most beautiful airports we have ever seen. Very clean, large and the customs officers greet you with a smile compared to the "stone faced" one's you would see elsewhere. Customs, Immigration and Baggage pick up was all very quick. Shuttle buses were there to transport us to the Decameron very quickly. The trip to resort was about 1.5 hours long by coach bus, but it gave us a chance to see the glorious countryside and see real ElSalvador living. Besides, we were on vacation! Enjoy it!
Departure was just as seamless. Quick and easy. The check in counter staff is nice and efficient. Lots of shops at the departure gates and for smokers, there is smoking past security at certain coffee shops/restaurants, if it applies to you.

CHECK IN:

WOW! Upon arrival at the resort we had our room keys and resort bracelets within 5-10 minutes. As we were doing so, our luggage was brought to our room. We were in the pool swimming within the hour.

FOOD/DRINKS:

Ok. I have to say that people who complain about the food at resorts are maninly looking for something to complain about. You are in a country unlike your own. This is not Canada or the USA. It does take some getting used to, but essentially is very good. There are several restaurants to choose from. There is a Buffet which is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The breakfast is superb! Omelettes, crispy bacon, toast, muffins, fresh fruit, sausages, waffles etc. So much to choose from. We ate lunch at the buffet only once because there are poolside snack's which serve awesome pizza, burgers, hot dogs and the best french fries. Again, all very good. There are 4 a la carte restaurants. We ate at one of these every night. You must make reservations but can make them over the phone from your room and you can book up to 4 nights at a time. Amazing compared to other resorts.
All a la carte restaurants have a salad bar filled with meats, chesses, veggies and other different things at each location. They also offer about 4-5 desserts to choose from. (Cheesecake and Strawberry Cake is awesome!)
The Thai restaurant is very good. Rice, seafood, shrimp, beef and california rolls are all delicious.
The Steakhouse located by the beach/pool has great baby beef and sirloin steak. Cooked just as we ordered.
The Pastafari(Italian) was our favorite amoungst our group. The had the most delicious Parmigana!
The Mediterrean was the 1st restaurant we visited on our stay. It was good with the salmon and the shrimp. The other restaurants were the best however. We really had trouble choosing which one to choose as our "final meal" The food is fresh and hot. And no bugs/flies swarming that you would see at other places.
The bar staff is all so awesome! Michael at the main lounge bar near the beach is a total sweetie! I would again recommend bringing a "thermos" big mug (8oz.) with you to any resort. Bring it to the bar and get them to fill it up. The avoids you having to return to the bar. The rule to only getting 2 drinks at a time can easily be fixed. (That is if it is enforced, which it never was) Hand the bar man a tip of 2 bucks and he will be at your beck and call all day long. Nobody in our group had a problem with this once.

THE ROOMS:

Beyond our expectations. Every room is oceanview and very new. There is a mini-balcony in each room as well. You will either get a king bed or 2 doubles. Be sure to specify upon booking what your preference would be. There is a room safe which you can use but you must pay $2.00 per day for. I find it funny when people complain about having to pay this. Have you never travelled before? Most resorts in the America's/Caribbean make you pay to use the safe. You can also request a mini-fridge in your room. There are not too many on the resort, so be sure to get one as soon as you check-in if you require one.
The bathrooms are a nice size with shower's (no tub. Again, typical in the south however.) The water in NOT drinkable. Meaning do not take a big gulp of it. To shower in it is fine. We had the same signs posted in Panama, Mexico and Venezuela. The water at all these destinations is brownish and Non-Drinkable. They do provide bottled water in the room and you can get more at the front desk. Again, you can also bring a big "thermos" type mug and get them to fill it at the bar with ice. You can bring that to your room and have ice water if you do not get a fridge.
Now maybe because we are Canadian, we have that 24 hour chill in us, right? We did not use the A/C at all. Mainly because it would get too chilly. We also found when we used it upon arrival it irritated our sinuses and we would get all stuffed up. Personally, I would prefer if the hotel put screen's on the patio doors so that we could sleep with the patio door open. (We did not sleep with it open because I had a fear of waking up to a gecko on my nose)
The rooms stretch the entire lenght of the resort. No hills to speak of. No climbing if you have trouble with that. The room "blocks" are three stories high with stairs only.

POOLS/BEACH:

Lots of pools to choose from. The 2 pools at either far side of the resort are nice and quiet. Also one up near the Mediteranean restaurant. Cooler though. The larger pool at the "center" of the resort is huge and is perfect. Refereshing, yet warm. Plenty of loungers to choose from. We did not have to get up at 7 am to reserve our seats unlike most other resorts. The resort tends to be a bit busier on weekends, but even at that...quite quiet.
The beach is nice and long. You can walk forever! The sand is a bit rough and dark. Please do not go down with the expectation of Caribbean blue waters and white sand. Not the case. It is a rougher ocean with some "lava" rocks in certain locations. Nonetheless, still very ejoyable at high tide. They have a manmade salt water basin which is VERY slippery. There are caution signs but seriously, it is slippery! When the tide comes in it fills the basin, when the tide goes out, it turns into a salt water pool!

EXTRA'S:

*Weather is HOT..not humid! We had no rain, not even a cloud. This was a highlight.
*Plenty of excusions/tours to choose from like climbing a volcano, culture and crafts, mayan ruins, shopping etc.
Other shopping closeby if you hire a cab to take you. Very cheap! Dollar items! (Even at that. If you do not make it to shopping, you can purchase at the airport. Lots of t-shirts, towels, crafts, liqour etc...)
*Tipping is essential. Yes it is all inclusive, but if you do not tip, do not expect any extra's. We tipped at every meal, housekeeping and the bartenders. One member in our group brought ball caps for the staff and local children. Please note that you can leave gifts, but you must fill out a form stating what you are donating. This is for our security. They do not want any theft from the rooms so they have developed a system to ensure staff can not leave with any goods not recorded. Staff is not allowed to come in with bags.
If you are nice and kind to them, they will be nice and kind to you! A couple bucks go a long way in this country.
*The coffee to bring home is to die for! Get it at the airport. Very cheap and you can sample it too! We wish we had brought back more.
*Staff is very friendly. It does help if you know some common phrases/words in Spanish. Everytime you pass a staff memeber you can be assured an "Hola" and a smile. The front desk staff is a little "slow" in pace. They have not yet mastered the art of speedy service = good customer service. However, once again....you are on vacation! What's the rush, right?

In a nutshell, I would book this vacation again tomorrow. Easily a 4 star by resort standards. You will not be disappointed. Our only regret is not staying for 2 weeks and not bringing our children with us. This a great resort for the whole family! It was so great!
Decameron can expect to see us again and again!

Briinston Ontario .Jan 26/07 Awesome!

by TripAdvisor Member sonworshiper

Just returned from a wonderful vacation at the Royal Decameron Salinitas.We stayed here from Jan. 18 -25th and had a great time.The views are all breath taking no matter where you go. The sunsets are beyond words so beautiful!
Resort is clean and spectacular, staff friendly and very very helpful.Everyone always smiling and happy.
Food was great.Not a lot of choice at the buffet but good .We did 3 of the a la Cart's.(didn't get to do the Italian one.)the ones we had were spectacular!Very tasty.
Took 2 tours.Mayan ruins and Guatamaula both were quite educational and enjoyable.
Met a lot of wonderful people and especially our friends from Nova Scotia. Our trip was made more enjoyable because of you.!
We would reccomend this resort it is definately a four star plus.

Great Value

by TripAdvisor Member Airbalancer

This place is great value!!!!
It is not a Sandals but a very good hotel
Everyone knows to bring your own travelling mug for drinks, they sell them at the hotel store if you did not bring one
The have wireless Internet in the main lobby so if you bring your wireless laptop you can get on line.
I think this layout is better then Panama resort Decameron as there is no stairs to climb
It was in the 30C everyday, and in 20'sC in the evenings
The AC in the rooms work well, anytime there was a problem it was fit right away.
The food was good, breakfasts were great, you could eat at al cart every night
Pools and oceans were great
Everyone like their day trips, my wife went to Copan, she said it was a great trip, a bigger bus would have it an unbelievable trip
I would go back there anytime

Loved it!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member ShutterbugNS

I just returned from my vacation at the Royal Decameron in El Salvador, and it was wonderful!

I went as part of a group of about 70 people. We experienced no problems at all with immigration, customs and check in at the hotel. We were all in our rooms and changed for the pool within 30 minutes.

The tours were great! I did 3 during the week stay. Went on the Crafts and Cultrual tour, the Mayan Run and the San Salvador Volcano and Coatapeque Lake. All were fabulous. Our tour guides, Wendy, Miguel and Emmerson were very knowledgeable, trilingual (Spanish/French/English) and open to questions about the country and the people. We had a member of the Tourism Police accompany us on all the tours. But we always felt safe anyway.

The poverty of the country is a bit hard to take if you have never experienced it before. Buy lots of souviners...it really does help their quality of life.

The resort itself is beautiful. Palm trees, lots of flowers and carved statues around the resort. The carved alligators and turtles that were beside the main pool are amazing to look at.

The Salt Water Pool is so cool. It is a round rock pool that extends out into the Ocean. When the tide comes in, the waves splash up and over the pool filling it to overflowing. Very fun to walk around the edge of the pool at high tide. Pictures taken at that time make it look like you are walking on water!

The water of the Pacific Ocean is so warm! I was very surprised at how warm it actually was. The one day that I ventured into the ocean to play in the waves, I was very happy to see no seaweed floating in the water...and no jelly fish.

We also enjoyed a massage on the beach. $40. US for an 80 minute massage. We had the Swedish Massage...and just a little word to the wise...tell them not to go too hard when they are using their elbows on the shoulder blades! But over all was very relaxing.

There were lots of lounge chairs around. Never had the need to "reserve" one the entire stay. There was 3 main pool areas. Most people seemed to stay mostly at the center pool, but there was a wonderful pool at each end of the resort by the Thai and Italian restaurants. Both of those pools seemed to be quiter.

The food wasn't too bad. We ate mostly at the buffet. Seemed easier to just go eat when we were hungry instead of waiting for a dinner reservation. This resort will let you reserve for dinner for up to 4 nights in a row. So no more getting up at 7 am to reserve for supper!

The Pupusas (similar to a tortilla that is stuffed with refried beans and cheese) that are served at the resort are not too bad, but if you go on a tour with Miguel, ask him to stop at a local Pupusarie for an authentic one. They are so much better. Only .50 each and they are twice the size of the ones at the hotel.

The Animation team did a good job. The shows were entertaining, even though the spoke mostly in Spanish or French. That was my only complaint about the Animation team. The seemed to think that all Canadians spoke French.

There is internet available. $3.00 US for 30 min or $5.00 for 60 min. And you can use your time however you want. Just keep your login code and use it until your time expires.

The weather was beautiful every day. Sunny and hot every day, but there was a nice breeze from the water so it was nice. When you got to hot you just slide into the pool!!

You can't drink the water at the resort, but you are given 2 litres of bottled water in your room everyday. And you can get water at all the bars. It is all bottled water, and their ice is made from bottled water and all the food is washed in bottled water.

I loved every minute of my trip and I would go back to the Royal Decameron in El Salvador in a heart beat!!

The best in 7 years of trips!

by TripAdvisor Member Hanna-Fantasia

Overall, absolutely A-1, I'd rate this place and destination a 5+++... they're only a year old, but you'd never know it...

Staff - unbelievably pleasant (from front lobby right down to the groundskeepers), great service, bending over backwards to serve always, security is everywhere but never intrusive (for those that feel that sidearms are a "problem", think of the plus side, you are always protected!).
People of El Salvador... grateful and appreciative of our visit, watch their faces GLOW when you compliment their service, their people, their country! Many speak French in addition to Spanish, so we Canadians learned more Spanish this trip, which is always great... English only was never a barrier though since they keep trying until they (or we!) understood, very very patient and helpful.
Rooms - large, extremely clean, great beds/pillows, every room has an ocean view, air conditioning works well, spacious bathroom and room, vaulted ceilings, maid service was excellent and prompt every day.
Grounds - impeccable, clean, I've never seen floors mopped as often, basically all day long cleaning up sand from the bar areas, etc. It's a long resort, all along the ocean, and no stairs, everything is easily accessible and not too huge that you couldn't walk the whole place in a half-hour from one end to the other, perfect size... For anyone with mobility problems, this is the best layout... all rooms are 3-storey with stairs but it was no problem whatsoever to get moved to a ground floor for those in our group that asked/needed it. Most amazing is the saltwater pool in the center of the resort... it's a circular structure man-made, about 100 feet in diameter... it's between the main bar and the breakwall of volcanic rock, and there are 4 tiers of stairs leading down to it; during the day the lowest level (same level as the pool itself) is dry... nightly, when the tide comes in, it overflows the pool and the whole lower two levels of the resort's patios are covered in water... incredible to see as the tide's coming in and at night, from the main bar, you can watch the waves splashing up... during the day when the tide is out you can walk from the salt water pool right out to the natural volcanic rock breakwall (depending on the tide that is). Pools (5 in total) were all fabulous too, impeccably clean, including a deep water pool over 6' for diving which is rare (we've never seen one at other resorts). (Re: complaints I've read that the 7 pm pool-closed rule is strict and should be changed, this is not uncommon... most resorts we've been to, the pools close at 6 pm! and, again, it's for your own protection). One fabulous sight not to be missed - to the right of the resort (in the direction of the Pastafari/Italian restaurant), DO go further all along the beach(there are private houses all along it)... another half-mile or so, to see the Jesus statue perched atop a huge volcanic rock... when the tide is low, you're able to walk about 300 feet or so (there's soft sand in between the rocks and you can pick your patch!) right out to it, climb the rocks and on top is massive statue of Jesus, arms outstretched, with a plaque from the family that donated it, which welcomes everyone to El Salvador and offers its waters... during low tide this was an easy walk even in bare feel, but recommend water socks... during high tide, it's impossible since the waves are too strong and you can't see the sand path). It's also just a most beautiful walk for those that like walking vs going to the gym and an easier walk that in the other direction (towards the Thai restaurant where it's rockier).
Airport - this was the smoothest, most pleasant, easiest entry and exit from a country we've ever seen... completely organized, fast, efficient and SMILING staff! The duty-free shopping here on the way out was excellent! and there are smoking areas in a few of the restaurants!
Nightly shows... I only attended one in two weeks but it was great, others in our group saw every show for 2 weeks and raved about them all. The animation staff are incredibly talented dancers!!! They even gave us some dance lessons in the disco at night.
Disco - sucks!!! lolol... Since there are many locals who visit Decameron (both from El Salvador and many from Guatemala)... whole families come here for a weekend, or even just an overnight... therefore, most of the music in the disco (which is a fabulous room with great sound! and the drinks are also inclusive, a rarity at many resorts) was mostly Latino/salsa/merengue...we were a little homesick for some good'ole rock! lololo, but made the best of it, the Cerveza & Tequila helped there! Did I mention that the White Wine here was to-die-for??????
Excursions - we did the Mayan tour week 1, FABULOUS, and second week I did the Guatemala trip to La Antigua... long day, up at 5 am and back at 7:30 pm, but an AMAZING day... 5 hours of driving but in a deluxe coach so didn't feel like it, and a guided tour in two groups, English and French, to sightsee the oldest colonnial style town in the country, architecture unique to the region, saw the ruins of the last earthquake which are slowly being rebuilt, toured a convent (again WOW), fabulous lunch in a beautiful restaurant, and in the afternoon a trip to Jade S.A., a Jade factory including shopping for the very best authentic jade jewellery. Others in our group did the Izalco volcano trip, the coffee trip, the Cascade falls/drive up the volcano trip, the culture and crafts and everyone, absolutely everyone, was raving about each trip... all excursions in deluxe buses or vans, depending on number of people, snacks & bevvies provided, fabulous tour guides, Tourist Police escort for every trip... they even stopped traffic for us to cross the road! We all felt totally completely secure while off the property. There's also a way to see the local culture, $15 flat-rate (no matter how many people) to the town of Sonsonate (pronounced "Cincinnati" loosely) (and that's $15 each way)... ask at the front desk at Decameron and make sure you make arrangements for a pick up spot and time for your return... there's market day on Sat. & Sun. Some of the best prices for shirts/souvenirs, you name it... shoes, clothing... and, again, never felt any distress over being out in public with the El Salvador people... most pleasant surprise was the non-pushiness of all the vendors, and bartering was easy (generally offer 20% less)... but the prices were so good that I didn't feel it necessary (course the luggage was overweight at the airport, drat!!!)... One hint... take a pen with you, write the $ amount in the palm of your hand - makes it easy to barter! Ladies, you can stock up on bras and panties for only $1 US each... sandals, shoes, t-shirts, all very very inexpensive...
Food - WOW.. I couldn't believe the review on "college-style-dorm food" and how awful it was... All I can say is that we heard that recently the chef and staff has changed and it was the absolute best food we've ever had... 4 a la carte restaurants... steakhouse, melt-in-your-mouth steaks, t-bones, baby beef was the best (although we had 3 meals there, 1 was not as good as the other two, but even that was tasty!)... Italian, surprise surprise, also had some amazing steak, Beef Medallions, yum... Mediterranean which was seafood, jumbo breaded shrimp in a mound of creamy mashed potatoes and lots of choices for mixed platters, lastly the Thai which featured various stir-fry mixes, Pad Thai is different every night, could be chicken, beef or seafood and not spicy at all. Generally, every type of meat was wonderful, pork chops & pizza at the afternoon snack bar(s) were great, fries were great. Then there's the main buffet, centrally located... not as much variety as other places we've been, but not a necessity as long as what's there is good, which it always was... "mexican" night featured fajitas rolled up in paper, tacos (not the traditional kind we know but flat and crispy) and a tasty treat called "Papusas", flat pancake-looking little patties filled with different things like meat or refried beans and/or cheese, then covered in a thin-tomato paste that's spicy (and the locals like to top that off with some finely chopped cabbage)... bread to die for, oftentimes still hot from the oven!Breakfast, pretty much same selection each day, small serving platters that were replenished quickly so nothing ever stood out too long... grapefruit, fab watermelon, crispy bacon, an omelette/eggs station... BTW - re: tipping... our group had several approaches, and got excellent service both ways... for example, our first meal in the Mediterranean Steakhouse for 10 of us, the meal and service were so superb, our table tipped about $30 U.S. at the end of the meal... others in our group were in the habit of pooling the tips in the middle of the table before ordering... in both cases, service was with a smile, oftentimes 2-4 waitstaff looking after us, water/wine replenished quickly. At some of the a la carte restaurants the portions were small, but no problem to order a second of the same, or even another dish! When we think of tipping here at home, 15% of a $100 meal is $15... we don't bat an eye do we? Therefore, to leave even $5 US per dinner, or a dollar or two at breakfast and lunch is a pittance. As is the case at many resorts, ALL STAFF enjoy the benefit of tips, right down to the groundskeepers and pool staff... which is to say, maybe the service isn't great for ONE meal but don't forget the tip goes to everyone, so I figure if you enjoyed ANY PART of the meal or any experience, why not???
Golfing! YES! $35 per person, golf cart rental for $15, club rental $10 per person, golf balls $6 for 3, tees $2... a round for 2, 18 holes, cost us $110 in total for everything. A beautiful golf course, our foursome enjoyed the place totally alone.. very very hot though, take bevvies with you, no beverage service while on the course. This requires a reservation at the front desk since the golf course is a 1/2 hour drive from the hotel.
Healthcare - two of our group required a visit to the hospital from in San Salvador... all I can say is, and to quote the wife "it's pretty sad to have to come to a third-world country to receive BETTER medical care than at home in Canada!"... One tip - if medical care is needed, be sure to notify your Travel Insurance company immediately (and take those papers with you)... he was in hospital for 6 days, then received a fabulous welcome back at Decameron with a complimentary weekend PLUS fruit basket and a bottle of champagne in the room! Then it turned out that it was cheaper for the insurance company to let this couple finish the week with the rest of our group rather than fly them home (since they missed their flight back at the end of their first week and many of us stayed on for a second week).

Anyway, I could go on for days, not like I haven't already, lol... Our ENTIRE group, 70 in total, did nothing but rave about this place, and, in my personal opinion, it's the BEST place my husband and I have been in 7 years with this same group of people (including Dominican, Cuba twice, Mexico- Cancun, Panama at a Royal Decameron, and Marguerita Island, Venezuela). We can't wait to go back and it's the ONLY place I'd seriously consider paying for myself to go... In myopinion, after having experienced two Royal Decameron resorts, I personally don't want to stay at any other!

playa salinitasplaya salinitas

DecameronDecameron

Know a beach resort

by schasof

I am looking for a beach resort in El Salvador for me and my family of 6, parents and adult kids. It would be great to find a swimmable beach with a resort that has separate and nice bungalows, restaurant, pool.

Anyone know of such a place? Thanks. Sam

Re: Know a beach resort

by Kindra

The only one I am aware of (and I am NOT the expert on ES at all) is the Decameron Salinitas, a fairly new resort that has been promoted as a cheap all-inclusive option to people in North America. I have one friend that has been once and another that has been twice and both really enjoyed it. No separate bungalows but they are brand new, nice hotel rooms. There is a beach (not the best IMO), a regular outdoor pool and a saltwater pool and several restaurants- friends say the food was pretty good. There were also a lot of day trip options including surf lessons, hiking a volcano, and visiting the Mayan ruins in Copan, Honduras. Not a particularly inexpensive way to see the country compared to more local places but the only recommendation I can give you.

Re: Know a beach resort

by Guanaca67

Salinitas is a good option, but also the las Hojas beach resort fit the description of what youre looking for, althought theyre a bit pricier than
Salinitas.
www.lashojasresort.com

www.decameron.com/Eng/salvador/salenitas/overview.html

El Salvador - what should I see??

by Plennie

I am going to El Salvador in early May to do volunteer work for three months. I was wondering what I should definitely take time out to see or do?? Also, I heard there is a festival at the beginning of August - what kind of festival is this?? Also, I love to dance - where should I go??
Muchas gracias!!

by conde13

I am going to El Salvador

karlo@incamail.com

by MarcG

Hi, This may come a lttle late, but if you want to take a look at my El salvador travel page and if u have any questions regarding any of the sites mentioned don't hesitate to ask!!

by toto75

hello plennie.
i hope you have a good time in el salvdor.
i'm going in july.
the festival on august is the fiestas patronales de san salvador each city in el salvador has her own fiestas.
i'm from santa ana. my are in july.
if you wanna go dancing there are lots of good places to go, just becareful where and with you go.
teke care and have fun....peace and love carlos.
pelazon72@aol.com

by Mando_1978

Hi...How u doing? I'm goign to El Salvador at the end of May....I live in Quebec but I am originally from El Salvador...You should visit the cities of Apaneca, Suchitoto, Juayua, La Palma, the beaches of Costa del Sol, Salinitas or Cuco...where in El Salvador r u gonna be working? is it San Salvador? cus if u r then you can find places to go dancing in La Zona Rosa...or Paseo Escalon...anyway...if you would like to have more info you can e-mail me... even though I'm sure that by now, you already know all the places where to go.... I hope u r having fun
Armando
armandoperla@hotmail.com

by Archeryguy

Hi There ,

I am from winnipeg, I will also be in El Salvador the last two weeks in june, I would be interested in hearing what there is to know, Thanks

travisvandaele@hotmail.com

El Salvadore, night life

by tracy.stopard

Hey! me and my boyfriend are planning a trip to El Salvadore and staying at the Royal Decarmen Salinitas. I think it's kind of isolated there, and we'd like to take a day or 2 away from the resort on our own. We are thinging of going surfing in La Libertad, and was wondering if anyone knows if there are some cool bars in the area, and perhaps a nice B & B. Any info would be helpful on my relentless earch for some info on the La libertad area or even if there is anything near our resort to see. Another thing is, if there are any places to rent surf boards near our resort. Like I said, we don't mind a bit of a venture, but are only there for one week! Thanks!!!

Re: El Salvadore, night life

by rjcrjc

Salinitas is indeed far from everything. However, it is one of the nicest properties in El Salvador and you will have problems getting anything of similar quality elsewhere.

La Libertad is 1 hour away...maybe you just want to do day trips?

S Salvador is also about an hour away...much better night life there.

Re: El Salvadore, night life

by tracy.stopard

Thank you for the reply. If we took a cab to La Libertad, how much would you say a cab might be? Would we be better off renting a car?
Also how far is La Libertad to S. Salvador?

Comments