El Salvador Hotels

Our Members Say

• frankmil profile photo frankmil
  • Reviews: 1

elsalvadorsurfcamps websites: El Salvador great travel information

I was thinking to come to El Salvador and try to surf, I was traveling from Mexico and Guatemala, I was checking some information about hotels, hostels, and surfcamps. most of the time, in the web is hard to find good deals, but I found a few websites with great travel information about it, I contact them and basicly they help me to book my trip, it was very easy and usefull they pick me up from San Salvador City, drove me and explained me about the surf in La Libertad area, I stayed a few nights in El Tunco in a nice hotel infront of the ocean and after I went to El Zonte, other small village, then I stay the last days at Las flores in a hostal, if you are looking for accommodations and transportation you can check the websites, they have a lot of different hotels with all kinds of rates: www.elsalvadorsurfcamps.com, I felt very safe with them.

The Hotel at Playa El Tunco have swimmingpool and a great ocean view, I stay in a room without air conditioner but they also have with A/C, at El Zonte the hotel also have swimmingpool, ocean view, At Las Flores it was more expensive and basic, without swimmingpool but the beach is very nice

• Related to: Backpacking, Beaches, Surfing
  • Written June 21, 2011

• aztraveler2 profile photo aztraveler2
  • Reviews: 24

Hotel San Lorenzo de los Almendros: The Best Hotel in Suchitoto

A beautiful boutique hotel, Hotel San Lorenzo is more like staying at someone's home. The two owners are the quintessential hosts. They make sure everything is to your liking. The rooms are spacious and decorated with a mix of antique and colonial style. The included breakfast is 'made-to-order' and is very good. It is served outdoors in the beautiful atrium. A very special experience.
Suchitoto is a small town and that is the appeal of the place. There are some good restaurants, nice boutiques, and pleasant cafes. Nightlife is available in a few bars but calm compared to bigger cities.
There are some day trips to indulge in and relaxation is also a pleasant pastime in Suchitoto.

Beautiful pool, a pleasant bar, attentive service, interesting antiques throughout the hotel.
One of the owner's is the former Ambassador of El Salvador to France so you can admire displayed photos of him with Jacque Chirac and the Pope as well as other important persons.

• Written April 10, 2011

Casa Frolaz, Santa Ana

When I tried to make a reservation at Casa Frolaz neither the web page nor the email address worked, so I made a phone call from Tacuba. I booked my own room, a double room with bathroom for 18 dollars (June 2009). Most people staying at Casa Frolaz stay in the dorm though, for 7 dollars a night. I liked the room, it was big with paintings on the walls. One wall had the same green colour as my room had when I lived in Nicaragua 20 years previous and that was nice.
Casa Frolaz is the home of the owner Javier Díaz. It is a nice home and Javier is hospitable and have lots of information on the area. One evening Javier brought all of the people staying at Casa Frolaz to two bars and we had a nice evening out. There is a kitchen (where you can have free coffee in the mornings), and a living room with TV (there are films on DVDs and there is cable TV). There is a garden, but when I was going to sit there I had to go inside because of the mosquitoes. There is also a laundry service for 2 dollars per machine.

Casa Frolaz is situated quite far from the down town area, but it is within walking distance from the buses, market, Metrocentro, some restaurants and there are two Internet cafés just round the corner.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel

My room at Casa Frolaz

Hotel Anáhuac, Juayúa

Hotel Anáhuac is a lovely hostel where the rooms are set around a courtyard. There are four private rooms with bathroom and two dorms. All rooms are decorated differently by artists. I had my own room and paid 15 dollars per night (June 2009).
In the garden there are hammocks and around the courtyard there are several places with chairs and tables where you can sit. There is also a small kitchen you can use and in the morning you can buy breakfast. For 2.50 dollars I got a great breakfast with a fruit salad, avocado, warm bread, butter, jam and a big cup of coffee.

Hotel An��huac

Hostal de Mamá y Papá, Tacuba

This is the place to stay in when you are in Tacuba. The hostel is run by Manolo and his mother Lydia and father Don Osiris in their friendly home. I had my own room with bathroom and it was 15 dollars (June 2009). There are also dorms. Around the house there are some hammocks were it is nice to relax after a long hiking day and in the fridge there is beer. Lydia also cooks breakfast and dinner.
Dinner 5 dollars
Breakfast 3.50 dollars
Beer 1 dollar

Manolo organises great hiking tours around, or in to, Parque Nacional El Imposible.

www.imposibletours.com

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel

Outside the rooms

Hotel Happy House, San Salvador

Hotel Happy House is situated in a calm street near the big shopping mall Metrocentro. I had made a reservation for a room some weeks before going to San Salvador and arrived late in the evening with a taxi from the airport.
I got a big room which I found to be very convenient. There was a double bed and a single bed. On the bedside table next to the bed where I slept there was a good lamp for reading. There was a TV in the room and A/C, but I didn't use either of them. There was also a lot of hangers to put clothes on and in the bathroom there was a lot of space in the shower.
For one person occupying the room it was 20 dollars (June 2009).

The breakfast was 3 dollars. It includes bread, eggs, beans, platains, cheese, a fruit drink and coffee or tea.

Downstairs there is a computer to use for free.

In El Salvador 100- and 50-dollar bills are not accepted at most places and that includes Happy House. The can be changed at a bank though.

• Written October 28, 2009

Hotel Happy House

• jepclg98 profile photo jepclg98
  • Reviews: 13

See what´s better for U: Accomodation

There are several unique places to stay in and around San Salvador. Business and Upscale Travel: If you are a business person looking for first class hotels with world business class service try the Hotel Princess, El Presidente, Raddisson, or Holiday Inn located in the
upscale San Benito, Escalón and Santa Elena neighborhoods of Metro San Salvador. Also some
excellent 3 star hotels such as the Hotel-Casino Siesta offering discounts with advance
reservations.. if you wish, contact me well in advance of your arrival, I am able to assist you to contact some excellent 2, 3 and 4/5 star lodging places in El Salvador. Reserve ahead and save a bundle off the rack rate! The majority of the upscale 3 Star B & B's and Guest Houses and the
4/5 Star hotels are located in or near the Zona Rosa and Colonia Escalon, upscale areas with expensive boutiques and restaurants.. It is quiet and very safe in the surrounding areas by
day. The Holiday Inn is the newest large hotel in San Salvador. It is in the neighborhood of Santa Elena, just 3 blocks away from the U.S. Embassy. It is at the edge of town and will allow you to leave San Salvador for the western part of the country without having to fight the traffic of the capital city. Prices in these hotels range from $65-$100+ per night rack rate
depending on how many occupants you will be traveling with. Book ahead.

No doubt, if you arean independent traveler on a tight budget, you are looking for something
nice but less ritzy, try one of the many unique lodging places, bed and breakfasts and guest houses in and around San Salvador. They have private rooms and bathrooms, but are not as large as the hotels, generally with less than 15 rooms. Prices, double occupancy for the bed and
breakfasts/guest houses range from $20-$75 maximum per night double or triple occupancy.

Cheaper Accomodations can be easily found at some of the smaller hotels closer into town, go East young man, in and around the National University area, which boasts a thriving Bohemian style night life. Most of these small hotels and guest houses offer excellent basic services for travellers, especially those who wish to mix and socialize with natives and other travellers and of course, do not mind taking a cold shower in the early morning! Prices range from $6.00
per person in dorm rooms to $20.00-$25.00 double in some small guest houses offering breakfast, cable tv and hot water!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written October 28, 2009

Cipi@Ataco Hostel, Concepción de Ataco

When I arrived in Ataco I first went to an Internet café to look up the name and address of a hostel I had seen on Hosteltrail. When I later looked for it , it turned out that it had closed down. I asked someone for another cheap hotel, but didn’t find it. Then I went to a hotel mentioned in my guide book. It had changed name to Cipi@Ataco Hostel and both the door and gate were closed and no one opened as I knocked on the door. I sat down to look in my book for another place when a man passing by said I should knock again as there were people at El Cipi. And, yes I was lucky.

There were no other customers at the hostel at the moment, because most visitors come at weekends. I got a big room with bathroom for 12 dollars (June 2009). All rooms are facing a garden and there are chairs or sitting hammocks outside the rooms. In the middle of the garden there is a roofed area with table and benches. There were no breakfast or dinner served when I visited, but I guess it is only during weekends when there are more people. There was also a good place where I could do some hand washing. It seems to be a nice place which I can recommend.

• Written October 26, 2009

Cipi@Ataco Hostel

Capricho Beach House, Barra de Santiago

Capricho Beach House has the same owner as Ximena’s Guest House in San Salvador. When I emailed the owner Lena about the rooms I got a very quick respond. At Capricho there is a very rustic dorm and four double rooms. The double rooms cost about 50 dollars, which was too expensive for me. I emailed Lena and asked for a single room, or single rate. At this time I had got doubts about going to Barra de Santiago as I was afraid to be very isolated there. But as I got the answer from Lena that I could have a room for 25 dollars a night (June 2009) I decided to go. After arriving I paid 50 dollars for two nights, but decided to leave after one night. I then got 20 dollars back.

My room at Capricho Beach House was nice and clean with two beds (one double and one single), there was A/C which I didn’t use and a bathroom with a shower. There is a nice veranda outside the room facing the garden where it is nice to sit and read and listening to the sound of the waves. Things that were not so good: when showering water did not go away, curtains didn’t close completely and I was still hungry after breakfast and dinner.

After arriving to Barra de Santiago I spent my day walking on the beach, laying in the hammock reading and waking on the beach again. It was all very calm and relaxing. There were no guests at the hotel next doors and no other guests at Capricho’s (it was in the middle of the week). After I had had my dinner and the woman working there had cleaned up and returned to her house further away I was sitting alone with half a bottle of beer in the light. It was all dark around and even if I had heard that Barra de Santiago is a safe place it felt like the spotlights were on me telling everyone that here was a lonely tourist, an easy target. It would have been nice if there had been some other guests there as well.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Beaches, Backpacking
  • Written October 25, 2009

My room at Capricho Beach House

• Massawippi profile photo Massawippi
  • Reviews: 5

Royal Decameron Salinista: A very nice resort hotel

This is the only all inclusive hotel that I have gone back to.
As a regular independent traveller, I very rarely purchase a backage deal but every November, there is this very cheap deal from Montréal and this will be my third time there.

All rooms have an ocean view.
Pools are great and water is warm.
Lots of chairs and greenery.
Not too many North American.
Nice selection of day trips to make.
Very clean and friendly staff.

• Related to: Spa and Resort
  • Written October 8, 2008

• FranciscoV profile photo FranciscoV
  • Reviews: 3

Hotel Terraza: San Salvador Hotel

I have stayed here two times and both times I have been very satisfied. The rooms are clean, spacious enough and inviting. The hotel's staff is very helpful and friendly. I would highly recommend it. During weekdays the hotel becomes more of a business hub with regional businessmen conducting business in San Salvador.

The hotel is located in a safe area of town, it used to be a very exclusive area of San Salvador in the 60s and 70s, where most of the upper class of San Salvador used to live in but now most of them have moved to Santa Elena and vicinity, making this the most exclusive area of town now. Nevertheless, this is still a very nice and safe area of town. The area is full of restaurants, fast food places, few supermarkets and a couple of shopping centers, so pretty much everything is at hand.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Seniors, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Business Travel
  • Written September 20, 2007

• FranciscoV profile photo FranciscoV
  • Reviews: 3

Santa Leticia Mountain Resort: Good Mountain Hotel

I have stayed here three times now and would stay more times if I can. The hotel is nesttled in the heart of the Apaneca Mountain Range, you can visit quaint little towns like Apaneca, Ataco, Juayua without having to drive too long. The hotel is situated in a working coffee farm so you are surrounded by mountains filled with coffee plants. Another perk, there is an archeological site on the farm which you can visit by contacting the manager of the hotel. Highly recommended.

If you want tranquility this is the place, close enough to larger towns and the coast, but if you want peace why go there.

• Related to: Family Travel, Hiking and Walking, Seniors
  • Written September 6, 2007

Main building and restaurant

• malecon profile photo malecon
  • Reviews: 43

Hotel Terraza in Colonia Escalon: This One Has All The Essentials

After much care in reseach I chose this hotel sight unseen, based on the reviews and picures found on the internet. In the end, I walk away a happy customer.

The hotel is a charmer with most of the 80 rooms facing the pool and exquisitely cared for garden courtyard. This area is maintained by a committed staff all day long, literally. The hotel staff fell over themselves smiling and serving my every need. One gal, Stephanie, arranged for a guide to take me around the city. I'm grateful for their attentiveness, hospitality and professionalism.

My room was clean and comfortable with a TV and air-conditioning. But most memorable was the breakfast at the La Veranda restaurant located outdoors, in the garden, protected by a roof covering that shielded the hot sun but let the breeze in. Men in uniform bounced around making sure everything was perfect for the guests. They succeeded in every way.

I highly recommend the Hotel Terraza. Located in the safe upper-class colonia of Escalon, near two major malls. Within walking distance are several good restaurants and eateries.

• Written July 19, 2007

The Hotel Terraza occupies a corner perch

• canuckmike profile photo canuckmike
  • Reviews: 586

Hotel Libertad: A Great Hotel In Santa Ana

The location and price makes this a hard place to beat. For US $12 for two people, the rooms have a comfy bed, fan, cable tv and lots of toilet paper. Although it is a cold water shower. It is located right next to the main cathedral (seen in picture no. 2) in Santa Ana. There is a large area to hang laundry if you choose to. Staff seems friendly even though I didn't really talk to them. The place is a bit aged as you can see on the stairs but still it gets my recommendation.

• Written March 17, 2007

Hotel Libertad

• canuckmike profile photo canuckmike
  • Reviews: 586

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel American Guest House: A Possible Choice

When we orginally arrived in San Salvador we wanted to stay at the International Guest's House. Our idiot cab driver (I hope his wheels fall off his cab) ripped us off and took us here. I didn't mind it so much but only stayed here one night. It is within walking distance of the main bus terminal. It is on the edge of the city center area of town and close to a lot of university buildings. It is run by a friendly old couple and the place feels like visiting your grandparents old cluttered house. My room was a good size although you can tell that it is a bit aged. Nobody with any association with the wall paper (designing it, buying it, putting it up) could possibly still be around. The toilet seat's colour was rubbing off due to age and use. In the front they have a patio with a restaurant that I never used but still looked nice. For me it was a decent place but I wouldn't recommend it as a first choice but as a third or fourth choice.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written March 14, 2007
Tip Photo

I just had to take a picture of the wall paper

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful