Pink Gin Beach, Point Salines, St. George's, Caribbean

More about LaSource Grenada

Wonderful La Source

by TripAdvisor Member JacksonsSurrey

La Source Grenada

I read the miserable reviews at the top of your list of reviews and was shocked. I have been to La Source twice with my husband and two sons. We spent July 2001 and Christmas 2003 there. Hurricane permitting we will also be spending this Christmas there.

Whilst on holiday there the first time my father died. The hotel staff were informed of this and they could not have been more kind. All the staff went out of their way to be helpful, even the vendors on the beach offered their condolences.

We have made wonderful friends at La Source, amongst the staff and the guests. This is truly a 10/10 destination. We have recommended it to other friends who feel the same and we discovered it through a recommendation.

I feel that the people who have given bad reviews would not enjoy themselves in Paradise.

Ignore the miserable reviews. Go to La Source and enjoy yourself.
Elaine Jackson

La Source Resort

Great for...

by jhdei

La Source Resort

Great for healthy interests...No TV, all-inclusive, good entertainment, excellent food, white sand beach right outside your door,full spa and gym.
Approximately $120 per person off season. Spa, Gym, Great Views, Charming, Friendly and very resourceful staff.

Total relaxation

by bianchis about La Source

This is the place to be if you are stressed out and need to chill out.
Massages everyday, activities like Tai Chi, Yoga, Stress management are included in the price Great view of St. Georges from hotel beach

La Source

Deluxe Ocean View $355
Luxury Ocean View $365
Luxury Ocean Front $385
Luxury Ocean View Junior Suite $405
Luxury Ocean Front Junior Suite $425 Luxury all inclusive where you are PAMPERED. More details in Travelouge.

There is no denying that hotel...

by steph4867

There is no denying that hotel rooms carry high prices. You're paying for the privilege of staying on the island, and even at $500 a night the bedrooms tend to be small. Still, if you're flexible - in terms of timing and in your choice of lodgings - you can enjoy a holiday in St. Barths and still afford to send the kids to college.

The most expensive season falls during the holidays (mid-December to early January), and hotels are booked far in advance for this period. (Rates in listings here are for the second-highest period, early January through April, which is still in season but not the holiday peak.) Although more hotels and restaurants here have seasonal closings (from August to September or October) than on other islands, some places are still open in August. If you're on a budget, look into an off-season stay, when rates can drop by as much as 50%. Most top hotels are on four northern beaches: Anse des Flamands, Anse des Cayes, Baie de St-Jean, and Grand Cul de Sac. In the hills away from the beaches are a number of surprisingly reasonable small hotels, guest houses, rental villas, and bungalows that significantly broaden your options. And regardless of the lodgings you choose, you'll want a car to explore the island.

On St. Barths, the term villa is used to describe anything from a small cottage to a sprawling manor. Today almost half of St. Barths's visitor accommodations are in villas, and rentals make a lot of sense, especially for longer stays or if more than one or two people are traveling together. Most houses include a small private swimming pool and maid service daily except Sunday. Houses are well equipped with linens, kitchen tools, and such electronic playthings as CD players, TVs, and VCRs. In-season rates range from $700 to $25,000 a week. If you get a group of friends together, you can rent a villa for significantly less than it would cost for each person to stay in an expensive hotel. Peak periods are usually booked solid by the previous summer. Though cancellations do occur, it's best to reserve a villa as far in advance as possible.

Professionalism and congeniality are the hallmarks of ST. BARTH PROPERTIES, INC. (PHONE: 508/528-7727 or 800/421-3396, FAX: 508/528-7789, www.stbarth.com). American owner Peg Walsh has been a regular on St. Barths since 1986 and represents properties only here. With more than 100 properties, she and her staff can guide you to the perfect place to stay. Weekly peak-season rates range from $1,400 to $40,000 depending on the property's size, location, and amenities. Write for their Dream Portfolio booklet, which describes the villas they represent. The company also has an office in Gustavia, with their French affiliate St. Barth Dream Vacations (Residence La Source, Gustavia, PHONE: 590/29-72-03, www.stbarth.com).

SIBARTH REAL ESTATE oversees more than 200 properties on St. Barths. Bookings are arranged through the company's representative, WIMCO (PHONE: 800/932-3222, FAX: 401/847-6290, www.wimcovillas.com), which is based in Newport, Rhode Island. Properties can be previewed and reserved over the Internet, or you can obtain the Vendome Guide to St. Barthélemy by mail. Rents range from $1,000 to $3,500 per week for one-bedroom villas and $1,800 to $7,000 for two- and three-bedroom villas. Larger villas rent for $7,000 per week and up.

All prices are for a standard double room during the second-highest rate period: January through mid-April. Christmas through New Year rates are close to double, but summer rates are about half. In most cases prices include tax and service.

Average at best

I went to La Source based on some feedback I saw here, but alas, was disappointed with the experience. Sure, the food was nice, the spa treatments were relaxing and the beach came equipped with a nice view of the ocean, but at the rates their charging, I am having trouble rationalizing the expense line in my bank account.

I also had similar problems with the outdoor-only dining (yes, lots of flies), unripe fruit and somewhat poor customer service. We also had problems with the airport transfer .. they were about 30 minutes late.

I sincerely hope this experience was more the exception, but I won't be using this as my return trip staple that I was hoping it would be.

Take Time Out For Your Mind and Body

by TripAdvisor Member Lynette_7

I have recently returned from yet another amazing time at La Source. Like many others I always end up going back.
My first visit was in 1999, I was in need of some time out, but didnt want to shut myself away, so fun was also on the agenda. After arriving in style, in the limosine, and being greeting with such a warm welcome, i was shown to my ocean front room - fabulous!!. After 24 hours I was beginning to relax and engaged myself in some of the activities. Its a great way to learn a new sport, or try it out to see if its worthwhile taking up when you return home. The daily massage helped to ensure I really relaxed and took time out for myself, allowing my mind to wander and repair.
I was amazed at the quality of the food, the wine list and the service. Followed by either a night cap or a party night in the piano bar, what ever you prefered that evening.
I now return each year to ensure that I take time out for myself and recharge my batteries. I never come home without making new friends and with many magical memories of fun and laughter and each year always seems a new experience, depending on how my life is at that time.
La Source has managed to keep the Carribean influence, its slow paced but efficient, it takes you approx 24 hours to adjust.
When you look for value for money I dont think you can beat it... It is all totally inclusive, no hidden extras, and beats the European prices. So whether you have a really active holiday, or just take advantage of the treatments, relaxation and the beautiful surroundings, its great value for money, or more importantly great for your mind body and soul.

We can't wait for it to open again

We find it hard to believe the only bad review for La Source. My husband and I have been three times and would have been there again if it had not been closed because of the hurricane damage. OK, it's not the smartest hotel in the world (and it doesn't profess to be) but it must be one of the friendliest.
We relax from the first moment we get there and are so busy that we hardly have time to sun bathe. My husband plays golf so at least half of his time is taken up with that. I go to a relaxation class before breakfast, finish at teatime with a facial or massage and I am occupied most of the time in between.
We have made friends in our times there who we will stay friendly with for the rest of our lives, and you can't say that about many holiday friendships. The staff are helpful and pleasant, and the spa treatments are good ( and yes, I have had them in other places). All in all, we can't wait to go back.

Living on Past Glories

by TripAdvisor Member penelopesimpson

Very, very disappointing. Admittedly, my mood was not improved by the fact that it rained for approximately three quarters of my stay - and I'm talking torrential, continuous rain not the short sharp showers I'd been told to expect.

Went expecting a luxury spa holiday but instead found myself in an upmarket jolly hockey sticks holiday camp. Think the hotel is living on past glories and that it is trying to market itself to too many types of people rather than concentrating on on its core market which should be thirtyish sports mad groups. Would say that people in this group generally enjoyed their stay whilst others were lukewarm.

The overall problem seems to be that the hotel must once have been vey good and luxurious but obviously hasn't had any investment since its glory days - owners are just milking it for what they can get. Main problem areas:

Large airy rooms are boringly furnished, badly lit and lack any charm or Caribbean individuality

Bathrooms extremely tired and dingy - probably the original. No natural light. Rooms inadequatly furnished - had to put make-up on and dry hair in the hot steamy bathroom every day. Ladies going to spa resorts do not expect this

For Spa read collection of small huts offering risible treatments given by surly, annoyed staff. Gave up after three treatments - during my facial, therapist actually read a magazine on my forehead! My idea of luxury isn't being told to put my feet in a much used green plastic washing-up bowl. Also, any treatment you really want like a manicure is 'extra'. None of this would be a problem if the hotel didn't market itself so strongly as a Spa - words like 'pampered' and 'luxury' are bandied around. This is a bad joke - has anybody running La Source ever been in a Spa.

Staff - with the huge exception of the therapists - are generally excellent and v.friendly but that's about the only plus I can think of. Even the beach is disappointing - sand is gritty and grey, beach shelves badly so paddling or simply luxuriating in the water is off limits and I got fed up with turning down offers to purchase hand-carved boats, sarongs, plant-pot holders and, dope! Okay, the locals have to make a living but they'd do much better if they restricted their selling time so that guests weren't so hostile.

Food is a real problem. Okay, there's plenty of it - but surely the days of the self-service buffet are over in luxury resorts? Meals are rotated on a weekly basis - if it's Wednesday it must be Mexican - and we all got fed up with the unchanging salad bar. The restaurant in the evening is too formal - poolside facility closed due to driving rain - so one had to put ones glad rags on each night and dine formally. Dining room is actualy quite nice and the piano bar a good place, but I had visions of dining al fresco under ths stars a la Shirley Valentine, but in actual fact there isn't a waterside bar. Got so fed up with the food on several occasions I found myself eating cheese rolls. Breakfast was plentiful but the staff looked as bored as we were by the food and the whole presentation needs a complete re-think - how about some Caribbean colour?

Mosquitoes were dire and yes, before anybody moans, I do know the Caribbean quite well and know that mosquitoes come with the territory. But so, usually, do mosquito nets and regular spraying. Nets were non-existent and spraying only took place if you pestered. This was not as onerous as it sounds as you had to visit housekeeping each morning to fetch your towels - they believe in self-service at La Source!

Swimming pool is too small for the size of the place and is badly cracked in many areas. This is unsightly and a health hazard. Sun loungers and umbrellas are plentiful but towels and cushions are worn out and need replacing.

Best place is poolside bar where the staff are unfailingly friendly and nothing is too much trouble.

Come on La Source. Make your minds up. Either put in the necessary investment and be the upmarket luxury spa you advertise yourself as being OR go mass market. But at the moment you're charging top of the range prices for a two star product. This is not an isolated experience - read the websites and you'll find that more than half of guests were disappointed. I sent my comments to the hotel direct on my return. Their letter back (after three months) told me that all their guests are happy. SO THERE! La Source, you need to open your eyes, visit some other places and accept that time has moved on. Luxury hotels require constant investment and it doesn't look as if your place has had any for years.

Still, perhaps last autumn's hurricane has achieved what thousands of guests couldn't - a compulsory rethink.

by Island_Babe

"La Source - Ultimate Pampering"

When booking my trip to Grenada I couldn't find much information on La Source. I knew it got good ratings, and the website offered a good overview of what the resort was like. But when you get there, you realise the website and brochure sells the resort short. In one word it's paradise.

The pampering begins when you are met at the airport and whisked away to the resort in a limo.

"Room"

I requested a room on the ground floor with an oceanview as I had read that some of the rooms were on a hill. That was a good choice, as the other rooms were close enough to the beach and some had better views, but the walk up that hill after a day of lethargy wasn't very appealing to me.

The room was very tastefully done with mahogany furniture,a coffee maker, mini fridge,closet and marble floors.We had twin beds which were two poster, but I got a look at the rooms with king sized beds and they were four poster. The maid came everyday and she left the room spotless....I know her supervisor makes a check after she is done so don't worry about cleanliness, the entire resort is CLEAN!

If you need extra linens or a new robe,iron and ironing board you can get them from housekeeping without a hassle and every night they come to your door to offer beach towels.

The bathrooms were huge, with a tub,all done in marble. There is a hairdryer and complimnetary body wash, shampoo and lotion.

"The Beach"

A storm a few years ago took away some of the beach, so it's a bit narrower than it looks in the brochure. The sand is a pinkish white and the water a surreal shade of blue.Fishes come up to you in the water, which is very warm, and lots of people were snorkelling.

The majority of La Source's clinetele are European so be prepared for topless sunbathing. You get used to it after the first half hour.

There is also a nude beach on the compound, supposedly secluded,but you had to walk up a hill to get to it...and hills just didn't seem like the thing to do at La Source!

Best thing about the beach is that you can lie there and waiters pass around cold fruit drinks, and if you desire a cocktail they will get it for you, you don't need to move a muscle if you don't want to.

"Food and Drinks"

There are two restaurants at La Source,one is casual and at the pool side, the other is at the Great House and is much more formal.

Breakfast and a la carte dinners are at the great house, lunch and tea at the poolside. There is a Friday night Bar B que by the pool and on that day tea is on the verandah of the great house.

There is a piano bar that is very nice,like a lounge with big, deep chairs. There was live music on Saturday and Sunday,lots of dancing on Sunday.

The food is superb, with many choices. There is usually a theme for lunch, and dinner but the a la carte menu is posted during the day and the list always has the regular options plus the special of the night...it's a long list!

Breakfast, lots of choices; omlettes, pancakes and waffles made to order,cereal,fruit,sausages,breads, muffuns,danishcroissants,fish...grilled tomatoes (my favourite),museli, juice, tea and coffee...if you are a picky eater you'll be in heaven.

Alcohol flowed, and it's all top shelf, premium brands.
The beer is Carib and you get wine with lunch and dinner.

"Activities"

After all that wining and dining you do get lazy, but La Source offers a list of activities to help you work off the sinfully delicious food, if you choose to particpate it's up to you.

There are aerobic activities, like stretch class, step aerobics,dance class,walking,water aerobics and a fully equipped gym. Relaxation classes like tai chi, stress management and yoga.

Sports such as tennis, fencing, archery, beach cricket, golf,water and beach volley ball.

Water sports such as water sking,scuba diving,hobie cats and snorkelling.

Then there is the spa, but more on that later. There is also a tour company housed at the resort so you can go to their office and book your trips.

You can do as much or as little as you choose, no one forces you. But, when you get invloved you meet people and that is always fun!

I did get off the beach to go sailing, walking and to the stretch and yoga classes.

"The Staff"

The staff at La Source are their best asset. They are professional and genuinely enjoy their jobs. The smiles are real, the greeting is warm and they get to know you by name.

The "bodyguards" are like activites directors, and they were so friendly that it was not unusual for one of them to join you for lunch or dinner.

It was my birthday while I was there, and I mentioned it to our waitress at tea one evening.She made sure to let management know without me asking her to, and before I knew it I was meeting with the chef to discuss how I wanted my cake ( I saw the kitchen CLEAN!!!).

The cake was delivered with a bottle of champagne and a card from management, of course they wanted to present it during dinner but I wasn't up for the attention!!

The cake was delicious, and the champange is still on ice ;-)

"One of the Body Guards"

Brian, a special mention goes out to him for making our stay such an enjoyable one.

"The Spa"

When you first check into your room there is a nice cotton robe laid out on your bed, and a letter from the nurse in your welcome package with your appointment and first schedule spa treatments listed.

You visit the nurse to get your pressure tested and afterwards select your remaining spa treatments,one per day( of course you can trade spa treatments with anyone who didn't want their's).My advice when doing the aromatherpahy massage is to do it late in the day, you must keep the oils on for an hour afterwards and you must stay out of the sun.

The aromatheraphy massage is worth the extra hour out of the sun, I fell asleep on the table,talk about relaxing!!! Reflexology was unbelievable as the therapist told me exactly what my ailments were.The warning, which came afterwards, was that some people got reactions when the toxins are flushed from the body, such as nausea, diarreah, loss of appetite or increase in appetite.If you get any reaction drink lots of water, it hit me the next day and thnkfully it was brief.

My other treatments were a saltloofah rub and facial. The facial was more like getting your faced cleaned, than the squeezing and probing that takes place when you get a facial done at home.

The robes were quite comfortable, and people wore them all over the resort. The practical side was that you wore them so that the oils don't stain your clothing, but you ended up keeping them on becasue they felt good.

"Off to Refloxology"

"Saying good bye to beautiful La Source"

The one complaint I have is that the vacation was too short! I am always wary of all-inclusive resorts, but La Source is in a class by itself. I am sure to be back.

beach at La Sourcebeach at La Source

The Titanic of the CaribbeanThe Titanic of the Caribbean

Hurricane Ivan in the Caribbean

by bianchis

Does anyone have any information as to the damage caused by this hurricane to the hotels along the coast. What about La Source?

by KirstenL4W

The news reports are all saying that 90% of the buildings on Grenada have been damaged. Of those, about half were destroyed. Chances are pretty good that the places you are inquiring about suffered some nasty damage.

by barbados-paradise

All what we (in Barbados) hear and see is that the most places are damaged.
“UNICEF relief supplies arrived yesterday in Grenada, slowly recovering from Hurricane Ivan that wrought devastation upon thousands of families…
Most of the island’s homes and schools have been destroyed or undergone significant structural damage. Hurricane Ivan, the worst in the Caribbean in at least a decade, struck Tuesday, the day after the school year began. An estimated 4 000 children are now living in shelters.” 14th September 2004 The Nation (www.nationnews.com)
Take a look to:
Monika

by bianchis

Thank you for the information. I appreciate your help
Sylvia

by bianchis

Thanks I looked into the site you supplied and read the report. I am truly amazed to learn how hard hit Grenada has been. I sincerely hope that things will get back to normal soon and people will be able to pick up the pieces and start again. I wish them courage and strength.
Sylvia

by barbados-paradise

Check this page for the latest update from Grenada include Travel Trade
There you can find a list with hotels and information about the situation.

Monika

by curiousx

Go to the Forums on www.grenadaexplorer.com. There is a sticky updated daily with an alphabetical listing of each Grenada hotel/restaurant/tour/dive/marina operation and information on its current status. If I recall correctly. La Source will not be opening for some time (although many other business are already back up and running).

Comments