Captain Oliver's Resort

Costs 49% less than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Saint Martin

Our condoOur condo

Baie aux Prunes - Plum beachBaie aux Prunes - Plum beach

inside the strike up the band loungeinside the strike up the band lounge

leaving St. Martinsleaving St. Martins

When is a good time to visit?

by Amyi94

I am planning a tropical-style trip in the month of November for myself and my husband. I don't really care where we go, but St. Maarten caught my eye. We have never been anywhere in the Carribean before and I am nervous about the hurricane season and bad weather. Our budget is to keep the flight (from Indiana) and hotel under $2500 total for 7 nights or so, which we have found is possible. Is November a safe month to travel to St. Maarten as far as weather is concerned?? If not, do you have any other suggestions for a destination? Thanks!

RE: When is a good time to visit?

by kaiwaipi

november is a good month to go there. hurricane season starts in july and ends in october. drink can be expensive there. just enjoy the sun and food. skip the drinks and you will be ok.

Re: When is a good time to visit?

by dbalexander

My husband and I were scheduled to go to St. Martin on November 15 one year, thinking the hurricane season would be over. The day we left a hurricane was heading for St. Martin. The airlines said "Oh, hurricanes never go that way." So we went ahead and left Birmingham for Miami. When we got to Miami, we were routed through San Juan. When we got to San Juan there was a tropical storm, so we had to stay the night in the hotel, get up at 3:00 in the morning and wait for a flight to St. Martin, which never came because the hurricane hit. We flew back to Miami and then home, never making it to St. Martin. However, it is rare for a hurricane to hit after November 15th. And, we do love St. Martin. We try and go every year or two. We always go either in December, or in April before the rates change. There is a huge difference in price. We always stay at Hotel L'Atlantide in Grand Case. Grand Case is where all of the good restaurants are found. It is a small condo type hotel with balconies and a small kitchen. We make our reservations through the Villa Lady. She has an internet website. The beach is long and great for walking. I would also suggest staying in Orient Beach. There are bars on the beach and it is a lovely beach great for walking. The nude beach is right next door. Orient is topless or nude, although most just go topless if they take off anything. Definitely stay on the French side. The beaches are must prettier and the food is much better. Marigot also has some very nice restaurants. Rent a car and discover all of the beaches of St. Martin. There are many. Some are in residential neighborhoods, but all beaches are public there. The driving is very easy. There are not many ways to get lost. If I think of anything else, I will let you know. Have a great trip!
Dianne

Travel Tips for Saint Martin

Snorkeling and Beach Bummin!

by GlobalMatt

If you want pristine white beaches and outstanding snorkeling or diving opportunities, check out Sint Maarten/St. Martin. Orient Beach on the French side is the nicest beach. Watching the Italian women walk by on Orient Beach.

Anguilla or Bust!

by otrlady

On a return trip to St. Maarten in 2005, two of our tablemates took a local ferry from Marigot to the island of Anguilla, spending most of the day driving the island. Not much excitement there, but some nice beaches if you're looking for sun and sand. The ferry to Anguilla is inexpensive (around $10pp) and takes about 15-20 minutes in each direction. The current schedule appears to be every 45 minutes during the day and evening.

Visit Saint Maarten

by Suzanne123

In case you did not know, St Martin is the French side of the island and St Maarten is the Dutch side of the island. Look up St Maarten here at Virtual tourist. It is listed as part of the Netherlands Antilles. You are in the Guedeloupe and you are also in the Leeward islands. So many names! There is no border crossing, just a sign on the side of the road. You may come and go at ease whenever you please. If you want to call from one side of the island to another you will need an international calling card.

On both sides of the island there are telephones with red and blue stickers. Avoid them, they are a private company's phone. My $10 card of theirs did not work. Use the other phones and you will not have any problem. On the dutch side it is 75 cents US to make a phone call. You can drive around the whole island in an hour-and-a-half if there were no trafic or bridge openings (south west side).

There are 33 beaches all with free public access (some have washrooms for a fee/others are free bring TP) The French capital Marigot is know for great clothing shopping. Grand Case is known as the Gourmet Capital of the world second to Paris. The Dutch sides main capital is Philisburg and is know for it's jewelry. The most popular beach on the French side is Orient Beach, on the Dutch side Philisburg beach with the cruise ships and Maho & mullet beaches.

On the Dutch side the currency is the Netherlands antilles Florin. I never saw this currency during my trip. I wanted to bring some because I was sure the cheapest way to travel was to use the local currency. I'm glad I did not bring any, the currency exchange places offered such a poor rate back home in Canada, I said forget it, I'll use the US dollar. Everyone uses the American dollar!!!! On the French side the currency is the Euro, however I did not use any either cause every person I encountered accepted the US dollar dollar per Euro and that was a bargain!

Grand Case

by bsfreeloader

Dubbed the “Culinary capital of the Caribbean,” Grand Case is without question the best place for dining on St. Martin/Sint Maarten. The town’s main drag is essentially a long row of restaurants, ranging from inexpensive lolos serving barbeque to high-end places serving traditional French cuisine. Reservations are typically unnecessary, as most diners simply walk the street and view the specials highlighted on chalkboards before choosing a restaurant. The restaurants front a somewhat unspectacular but not altogether unworthy beach.

The Caribbean meat Europe

by EPEKINDINI

"Bachlorette of a Lifetime"

I was looking to go somewhere calm yet somewhere i could enjoy myself with my girlfriends. It was my bachlorette getaway.... I loved this island; it felt as if you were in Europe. The island is 1/2 French, 1/2 Dutch.... We rented a car which was completly worth it. We got to see both sides of the island. The French is a little more reserved and i would say more upscale than the Dutch side. But the Dutch side is alot of fun. It was perfect for what we wanted.... We swam and Dinned on the French Side and partied all night on the Dutch side.... Not to mention I also bought my wedding rings at a very good price! We also were able to buy some French products that they dont sell in the U.S. The island itself was beautiful, full of life, and colors, and people in motion...I will be back St. Marteen.....

Comments