116 Baie Orientale, BP 5146, , St. Maarten/St. Martin, 97071, Caribbean
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

More about L'Hoste Hotel

Nice Hotel, Watch out for the Friendly Car Rental~~

by TripAdvisor Member francesE

Just came back from a 10 day stay LHOSTE, First WARING, Make sure you understand your car rental agreeemnt I rented a car from FRIENDLY they reside in the Hotel, They quoted$35 A DAY, Once I returned home Received my bill it was $35 EUROS!! Which increased by $120.00, Every other car rental was $35 US and these guys never said anything about Euros JUST A WARNING.

AS FAR AS THE HOTEL, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. I love being so close to the beach it was nice unit however we were on the ground floor GARDEN VIEW which is not good for any view at all if you can request something else it would be better plus we had an incident with Food in the room, somewhat our fault, but when we woke up in the morning there were cockroaches crawling in the waste basket where we had thrown some leftover food, I know its a triopical enviornment So just beware, do not leave any open food in your rooms it attracts them like crazy. Also be prepared for FLEA OR BUG BITES.

The room sevice was good, maid came daily. The best part was the contenitial breakfast, Came with your room, ham cheese, fruit, dainsh cerial coffee juice. Enought to hold you over till later in the day . THE LAPLAYA RESTAURANT is very good also right on the beach BUT PRICY. A hamburger is $11 euro....so add 30% and you are spending at least $30 - 40 for

Our unit had a small fridge, no coffee maker, which I had requested... and never received,

IF you are use to a hugh resort, you will be disappointed, not much to do at the resort itself. this is just a small intimate place no one is at the pool not any activities, and NOT FOR KIDS remember you are on a NUDE/CLOTHING OPTIONAL BEACH. Acutally I loved it and it was great not to have a bunch of screaming kids around. There were some families but mostly european.

Over all i would recommend lhoste hotel if you like quite evenings and great people watching on the beach`

not what we expected

by TripAdvisor Member Caribgirl

My husband and I just returned from a 6 night stay at L'Hoste Hotel. We booked our trip last March based on reviews from this site. We were quite disappointed when we arrived. We made sure to ask for the nicest room they had, which we did indeed get. Our room is actually the one pictured here on Trip Advisor. I do not know when that picture was taken but you could not see the ocean that clearly at all. The vegetation, though lush and beautiful, left just a small glimpse of the ocean from our room. Not at all what we had hoped. I noticed another review mentioned the lack of housekeeping service. We found that to be true as well. Our towels were restocked daily but the bathroom was not cleaned except every couple of days. The sheets were not changed the whole time we were there. The only time we asked the staff for information was when we inquired about how often the ferry went to Anguilla. We were told every 15 minutes when in reality it is every 30 minutes. After that misinformation we decided to forego asking the desk for help. Another reviewer also commented on the bathroom not having a shower curtain. That is true. Since the maids didn't clean the bathroom each day, we pretty much did when we showered as the water sprayed everywhere due to the shower holder being broken and no curtain. After having been to the island now, we are able to make better choices in the future when it comes to choosing a place to stay in St. Martin. More reasonably priced hotels with better views are available, which we now know.

Good value beside a famous beach

by TripAdvisor Member OntarioTraveller

I have just returned from this resort today, Jan. 29.

The reviews from American visitors to L'Hoste seem almost schizophrenic in nature. There are those who appreciate this fine value property and those who expect it to be some St. Martin version of a Westin. Judging by the exceptional value rates provided by L'Hoste of late there should be more concentration of value and of what is in the area.

Orient Beach is not for everyone despite the fact that cruiseships disgorge thousands of passengers most days of the week who flock to the beach and then wonder how to protect the innocent eyes of their young children from the numerous full and partial nudes taking their constitutional along the beach. But, it is Orient Beach and to have reasonable priced accommodation a matter of yards from the beachfront is a huge plus in the usual world of sky-high hotel and resort prices for this kind of beach location.

The small resort is surrounded by trees, shrubs, flowers, small outer buildings, central breakfast building, medium sized pool that is well cleaned and offering cool, soft water to refresh after salt water swim or for children to enjoy who may prefer a pool to the ocean. The breakfast deal is worth every penny - high quality fruit, yogurt, juices, croissants and pain au chocolat, baguette and whole wheat bread for toasting, cereals with milk, ham and cheese, coffee and tea.

The resort provides two daily newspapers free of charge and large, fluffy beach towels as needed. Beach chairs and umbrella provided free of charge as part of the arrangement with La Playa beach club.

The lobby can be described as a touch dark, but certainly not dank or forboding as some of the strange American comments have led readers to believe. The staff are pleasant, helpful and speak far more English than Americans speak French - something for tourists from the English-speaking-union nations to keep in mind now and again. Like most people they really appreciate it if you make an effort to try their language.

The resort has a unique arrangement with four or five beach clubs that accept a plastic card from L'Hoste as a bond for payment against the eventual hotel bill. Very convenient and provides a number of choices as if the various clubs (combination beach chairs/umbrella service with high quality French style dining and above average tropical drinks) were part of L'Hoste.

Parking is free of charge. No room phone service, but phone in lobby for guests. Various local tours and cruises can be booked by the front desk staff.

Cabs are available nearby or can be called. There is a local bus service that runs around the island (small individually owned van service) that works fine, but there is a walk to reach the buses on the main island highway.

Rooms are recently refurbished. Balconies are large. Rooms are above average size with king size beds. Kitchenette should be considered a bonus and does lack a couple of needed items. Television is what it is all over St. Martin - limited English-language television. We counted four channels including the ubiquitous CNN, HBO, CINEMAX and ESPN. Bathroom stall shower is large and, with a little care, splash of water can be kept to a minimum. It is a matter of European method of showering vs North American method. Toilet is in separate room from bathroom/shower creating very large, by any standards, bathroom area.

As a last note how many resorts place a comments book right on the counter with written comments from most recent guests as to how they did or did not enjoy L'Hoste. The property is proud of the results of the comments book. We read the comments and they were most
favourable to the resort.

We have stayed at both L'Hoste and Grand Case Beach Club. There are similarities and major differences. Grand Case Beach Club is quiet and separate from mainstream St. Martin and located on a small, almost private beach at the end of a long row of fabulous dining options - how many resorts can top that?

The only complaint I have that is remotely valid is not mentioned by any of the COMPLAINERS - that is that I got bitten regularly by some sort of black flies or no-see-ums or tiny mosquitoes. Most uncomfortable.

I spent my business life in the travel industry and can recommend this property to intelligent, value-seeking travellers and tourists and not today's manic stress-breakers who cannot be pleased by any place or anyone.

Extremely clean, friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member Monarch

We have just returned from 2 weeks at L'Hoste. Although this was not our first trip to St. Martin, it was our first experience at a not all inclusive vacation. It was because of the reviews on this forum that we decided to book L'Hoste...and happy that we did.
The rooms are very large, king size bed, love seat and chair, coffee table, kitchenette and oversize bathroom with a shower for more than one. The room was exceptionally clean and well maintained. All of the staff that we encountered were more than pleasant.
The pool area is clean and quiet and a great place to catch the last rays of sunshine after a day at the beach.
The location of L'Hoste could not be better! There are more restaurants now, convenience store etc. Pizza restaurant and Le Fish Bar (reasonably priced) to a couple of French restaurants.
I don't believe that there are any rooms at this hotel that could be considered "ocean view", but from the balcony at night you can hear the ocean. When you are lucky enough to have a hotel on the beach, during daylight hours, isn't this where you want to be?
Grand Case is a short ride for excellent dining
St. Martin is an awesome island - different cultures, food and shopping. We visited different beaches and think that Orient is the best, although we would hesitate to take children - many people opted out of wearing a bathing suit.
I would certainly recommend this hotel and when we return to St. Martin, it will be to L'Hoste.

Bargain Paradise!

After all-inclusive stays at Maho, Mont Vernon and Le Meridien the last three years, we thought we'd try dining around with a stay at L'Hoste. Just came back on March 12 after an outstanding one week stay. What a terrific idea! This hotel is small, unobtrusive, friendly and perfect for anyone who wants to do the same. The rooms are very large and well-kept. Hotel staff couldn't have been more friendly or courteous. The breakfast restaurant staff were truly excellent. We can't wait to return! There are many restaurants to choose from within walking distance but renting a car is a must if you really want to enjoy everything this island has to offer. If you want a great hotel on Orient Beach, want to enjoy the many great restaurants in St Martin instead of going AI and don't need an Activities Director to keep you entertained, this hotel is perfect. And we did - for less than AI - believe it!

Loved our stay!

Just returned from a terrific week at L'Hoste. I am completly confused by some of the previous negative posts about the hotel. We found the room large, very clean and comfortable. The grounds of the hotel are very nicely maintained and beautiful, making for a pleasing walk to the beach of about 75 yards. The hotel is nicely located right in the center of Orient beach, the world's largest outdoor party. A very nice breakfast of fruit, breads and other treats is included with your room. The help at the hotel was extremely friendly and ready to answer any questions. While we didn't use the pool (who needs it with the crystal clear 80 degree ocean so close) we saw many others enjoying it and the entire pool area is nicely maintained. The location of the hotel is also convenient to Orient village (a two minute walk) the Grand Case restaurants (a 7 minute drive) and the many other spectacular beaches of St. Martin. If you are looking for a lovely European feel in a hotel I highly recommend L'Hoste

Terrible Week at l'hoste hotel....

We're just back from 10 days in St Martin. Our trip on the island was wonderful however our stay at l'hoste hotel was terrible.

The first room we got was very smelly. After complaining about the shower for 2 days, they finally admitted it was completely blocked and offered us another room. We had to do all the moving on our own including baby bed etc...

Second room was in better shape altough the furnitures were old. Bathroom mirror was broken, Kitchenette was in bad condition. The door handle of the bay window going to the balcony felt after a few days and was never repaired. The tap water tube in the kitchen also broke.

The hotel is conveniently located near the beach and is in a beautiful surrondings, I just wish the managers were taking the renovation and repairing of reported issues more seriously. Swimming pool was nice altough could be cleaned more often due to its location under the trees.
Breakfast was very nice, fresh bread and croissant.

La playa restaurant was very disapointting. Staff are only interested in dealing with American tourists mainly for tipping. It was well overpriced and food was not reflecting the price paid. Better service was found on the other restaurants near by. The fish bar is Way above the other ones. Pricing was very good, friendly staff and Excellent food with fresh fish.

We rented a car from Justice Car Rental and got a very good deal on a medium sedan car for $40/day. So I strongly recommend them.

We'll certainly go back but will not use l'hoste hotel again. Better deals can be found elsewhere.

Back to the review of another traveller, yes there is a feedback book in the entrance hall but next time check the date when people are leaving feedback. There was less than 10 feedbacks so far for the whole month of march... which gives you a real idea of what people think of l'hoste hotel.

great beach, good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member bikes&boats

I was pleased with my stay at this hotel. I was nervous based on the reviews concerning disrepair but didn't find that to be the case. It looks nice from the get go. check-in was done well. Our room was on the first floor so there was no view. The furniture is a little stiff and the mattress is decent but not great. the a/c worked fine so we left the doors/windows closed to keep out bugs. Now I'm not sure if it is just part of nature, or the fact that the La Playa kitchen isn't too far away but we did have a bug problem one night. I got up at night and a big roach the size of my thumb was hanging out in the foyer area. I'd like to think it crawled under the door instead of being a long term occupant. He's in roach heaven now. It was actually so big that I got 'props' from my girlfriend for taking it on with nothing but a flip-flop. Saw one other small one too shortly afterwards. I then made a concentrated effort to seek and destroy others but didn't find any more. The room was fairly clean so it is hard to say if the hotel has a real bug problem or is a victim of it's location.
Location is great. I made an effort to find a hotel that was right on the beach. Fact is that none of the hotels on Orient beach are literally "step out back door of room and onto sand". All the hotels require a short strole. In this hotels case, it's about 50 paces to the La Playa which IS literally right on the beach. So after walking around and looking at the other hotels in the area, this was a decent choice. Other hotels/time shares, for example, require you to walk across a dusty parking lot to get to the beach. L'hoste has a nice shaded path. A great walk in the morning to start a day of activities on the beach.
Music from the La Playa was not loud on Saturday night but was on Sunday night till about 10pm or midnight, I forget, but it did bother me a little. I didn't try the food at La Playa or the other nearby places. There was a beautiful mediteranean-ish plaza a short walk away (south and then across a street) where many people hung out at night.
I stayed here two nights and then went over to the Le Petit Hotel in Grand Case. A much better hotel but with a less active beach. Next time I'll stay in Grand Case and drive over to Orient to spend the day.

Very Nice Stay

by TripAdvisor Member MarylandIslandLover

We just returned from a five night stay at L'Hoste Hotel on Orient Beach in St. Martin. It is more casual than what we normally stay at but we found it to be very clean and the service was very good during our stay. A daily continental breakfast was set up by the pool which included more than we expected. Helped us save some $$ for the outstanding restaurants we dined at in Grand Case which is a very short drive from the hotel location.

The location of the hotel far outweighs it not being a luxurious hotel such as a Marriott. We were steps away from the beach. The beach is one of the best we've stayed on and we've been to a large number of islands.

The rooms were plain as far as decor. They could use some artwork which would give them some personality. But we had a ground floor with two king size beds and a kitchenette which was convenient although we really only used the refrigerator and the sink mainly. Didn' t do any cooking. Didn't need to.

We did check out some of the other nearby hotels such as the Esmeralda which does have "superior grade" rooms but are more money. We may check out that for our next trip, but honestly for the money and for the time you spend in your room, L'Hoste met our needs and provided us with a very nice stay. If you're looking for a 5 star, you would be disappointed, but for a casual, island feel type stay, I would recommend L'Hoste.

Lovely Hotel-Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member rwf01234

I just returned from a trip to St Martin where I stayed at L'Hoste Hotel. I was a little concerned about my selection because of a few bad reviews, but I decided to chance it. I'm so glad that I did. It's a wonderful little hotel and the location could not be any better. The staff was very pleasant and helpful with assistance with dining and taxi service. The rooms are simple and clean much like most European hotels. There's a great French restaurant on the beach, Planet Orient B. which is just steps away from the hotel. La Playa has great lunches and Tap Five has the best pizza. I will be back next year.

Comments