Orient Bay Hotel

Mont Vernon I, French Cul de Sac, Orient Bay, St. Maarten/St. Martin, 97150, Caribbean

Satisfaction Average

Rated 18% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Orient Bay Hotel

Butterfly Farm at entrance to Orient Bay Resort

by dustmon

While staying at Orient Bay, this was a natural visit for me--I love animals and stuff like that, so my next door lady friend and I went up the driveway to the Butterfly Farm---a huge tented area full of beautiful butterflies, and folk who are willing to take the time to discuss them with you. There is a fee to enter, but well worth it, once you get inside. There are many species fluttering around the enclosed area, as well as places where you can view pupae and cocoons and hear info on their lifestyles.....Many photo oportunities abound in here so take your cameras. The gift shop at the end is wonderful as well, with butterfly gifts for anyone at reasonable prices....

Fish feeding

by JamaicaBound

The beach and water at Orient Bay are wonderful! The sand is white and soft, and the water so clear that you can see your toes! One afternoon, I saw a group of people standing in the ocean, looking down. I waded out, and saw they were feeding bread to the fish. One person handed me a slice, and I dropped crumbs into the water. I was immediately surrounded by many brightly colored fish.

Maho Beach Resort

by adudinsk

"Great Resort.. So So beach"

Maho is on the Dutch side, which is MUCH cleaner, and more stable as far as power, and cable tv is concerned. Beach was so so.. but they do have a free shuttle to Orient Bay.

One should consider renting a 4x4 and driving to the top of the island's lookout point.. wayyyy cool!

A glimpse of Paradise... Orient BayA glimpse of Paradise... Orient Bay

Orient Beach from the neighborhood overlooking itOrient Beach from the neighborhood overlooking it

inside the ship strike up the band roominside the ship strike up the band room

leaving St. Martinleaving St. Martin

First time in the Caribbean!

by xgirl68

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a quick 4 day getaway to the Caribbean this summer. My ideal vacation = relaxed quiet atmosphere (not overly touristy) on a beach where you can enjoy nature and go for bike rides or rent a scooter to go exploring. Not interested in clubs or crowded bars and I would prefer not even having a tv in the hotel room.

I've been looking at the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, Bermuda, Jamaica and St. Marteen since they are all short direct flights from NY...any recommendations??

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Jennifer

by Martin_S.

Hi and Shalom:
I saw that Dominica is not on your list. Please take a look at my pages there since I would recommend it for ALL your points.
The places we stayed were not on the beach, but if you have a bike or scooter distances are short and the scenery is fabulous.
Martin

by vanderlust

With the relaxed atmosphere requirement I would recommend St John USVI. You have to fly into St Thomas USVI then take a 20 minute ferry to St. John. Two thirds of the island is US national park. Many levels of hiking trails and plantation ruins abound. Beachfront camping is available. Villa rentals and resorts are available. Bikes and scooters aren't used so much though. See my St. John pages for more info.

by Irina80

All the islands that you're looking at are overly touristy, but if you choose St. Maarten i would suggest to stay on the french side (St. Martin), not the dutch, we rented a quiet condo on Orient bay, people are everywhere but it is possible to find a quiet spot, only not much nature, caribbean islands are not that great nature-wise (except Dominica of course which is an eco-friendly paradise, but hard to get to), we're actually heading to the Grand Bahama island ourselves in a week, will stay far from Freeport, very much hoping to find that "relaxed quiet atmosphere"...i can let you know when i get back. when are you planning to go?

Travel Tips for Saint Martin

St Martin

by hangalen

"Naked in the sun"

St Martin was only a quick weekend for us. We did discover Orient beach and Pinel Island. You can rent a Hobie Cat on the beach if you know how to sail and take it out to the island.

Half of Orient beach is nude so that's always interesting and fun.

We stayed at The Westin. Which if you're in to that sort of thing is great. It's not really my style but I found myself really appreciating the awesome shower, bed, robe and ocean view. Then we found out that they built the resort right on top of a wetland and destroyed a remote and beautiful area. Which is almost always the backstory to mega resorts so I wasn't really surprised - just sorry we were rewarding them for it by staying there.

France in the Caribbean Sea

by jorgejuansanchez

The island of Saint Martin (Sint Maarten in Dutch language), is shared between France and Holland.
The airport is in Philipsburg, in the Dutch side of the island.
Marigot is the capital of the French side, and is full with good restaurants.
From the port of Marigot you can take a boat and have a pleasant one day excursion in Anguilla Inland (a British colony) and come back in the evening.

SAINT MARTIN was divided between Holland and France. I felt in Europe; the previous day I had been in Tortola Island, in the British Virgin Islands, that day I was in Holland, and the next day would visit Marigot, in the French part. I noticed the presence of many natives speaking Spanish; they were from Dominican Republic and worked driving buses or as gardeners. Many people used the Papiamento language or a hybrid of Spanish mainly, plus some words of Dutch, English, Bahasa, Hindi and African dialects. Some phrases were funny, for instance: “Mi ta kontentu” means I am happy, but said like a little child in a kind of broken Spanish. “Poko poko” means slowly, and “Danki” is thanks. Papiamento is also spoken in the Dutch “ABC” Islands: Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao. I made a pleasant 1 day excursion by boat to Anguilla Island, a British colony, and when I came back I participated in the joyful carnival of Marigot, one of the best in the Caribbean. One day I flew to Antigua via St. Kitt’s.

Comments