Radisson St Martin Resort, Marina & Spa

BP 581 Anse Marcel, St. Martin CEDEX, , St. Maarten/St. Martin, 97056, Caribbean
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Booking.com Orbitz.com BookIt.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 55% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Radisson St Martin Resort, Marina & Spa

I'm already trying to figure out when I can go back!

by TripAdvisor Member FunBass

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Radisson St. Martin from 2/14/09-2/20/09. During our first few days there we were pleasantly surprised about how quiet the hotel was (this is a good thing). We figured there would be more of a crowd because it is a week where many U.S. schools had off that week. It got busier later in our trip. I'll use the format I've seen somebody else use to review the Radisson.
The Good:
The place was absolutely gorgeous. We looked at places all over the island and the Radisson was by far the most beautiful and on a quiet, away-from-it-all part of the island. The drive to Anse Marcel is hilarious and you will enjoy the roller-coaster-like roads. Upon check in they serve you with a complimentary drink from the bar which was fabulous. The staff is incredibly friendly. The exterior and grounds were gorgeous and were constantly being worked on. The infinity pool (which is the largest in the Caribbean) is huge and great but let's face it, I went for the beach and the turquoise waters and the Radisson has a great beach all to itself. The people at the water sports desk were great and very knowledgeable. There are snorkeling trips that leave from the Marina. The people that run Scuba Fun run great trips to Creole Rock, a professional underwater photographer (Paul, an Australian) comes along on the trips and took some incredible pictures of us, the marine life, and the other scuba divers. The C-Le restaurant is feet from the beach, as is the bar to keep you "hydrated". The restaurants were great. C-Le is a restaurant with more formal attire for dinner and Le Marche was more casual, both had great food. The breakfast buffet offers a delicious smorgasbord every morning, the fresh guava and passion-fruit juices were amazing. Great security, you have to pass two security checkpoints at night and one during the day. you can't get onto the grounds and into the parking lot without showing a security guard your key. Security is also always on patrol in all areas and the grounds and we always felt very safe. The rooms were clean and spacious. The sleep number bed was a plus, and the flat screen televisions were great to have. We even got all the local channels from New York to catch up on the news. There are a million things you to do if you did not want to leave the property. I could go on and on, I can't wait to go back.
The Not-so good:
It pains me to list the areas that need improvement, because I loved it so much but...
The bathroom has these sliding doors that are a little modern and weird in that you can see through the cracks at certain angles and hear everything going on in the bathroom. Also the way the showers are set up a lot of water splashes onto the floor. (I didn't go for the bathroom and you shouldn't either so I didn't really mind any of the bathroom issues). The staff aren't all on the same page yet. The porter told us that they didn't take dollars (even though they do), and the concierge and front desk gave us conflicting stories about cashing travelers checks and currency exchange. The pool and beach guys don't really know what is open for lunch and when. I think in a few months they will have their act together (I don't know if it's a language issue with the staff or if it's just that they don't know the answers to these things yet). The Gift shop and Spa are still under construction, but if you wanted Spa treatment they can definitely provide you with anything you need, they are running it out of a wing of the hotel.

Even though the staff didn't have the answers to some of our questions, they would bend over backwards for their guests and were very friendly, warm, and welcoming.

Wonderful Resort:::))))) Ready To Return!

by TripAdvisor Member us124

I have to say I wasn't sure of what to expect, however the resort exceeded my expectations by far! The location is wonderful, a little secluded but not dead. Resort is beautiful open airy, and luxurious. Pool is one of the largest in the caribbean, and beautifully laid out. The general manager has outdone himself. Beach is amazing.
Last but not least the cuisine was superb as was the service. Congratulations to Radisson, I wish them a prosperous year!
also if you need anything go to the concierge staff they are also great!

The newly opened Radisson is very good

by TripAdvisor Member Travelfan2009

The Radisson recently reopened after a couple of years of renovation - the property was previously a Meridien hotel. Rooms are all brand new and comfortable- beds are "Sleep Number", bathrooms are very nice. The hotel has large grounds, directly on sandy beach on a cove - the water is sparkling and the waves are not too rough for bathers (a problem on many St. Martin beaches). The new pool is huge and gorgeous. Breakfast restaurant is very good and the beachside restaurant also has great food. We usually go to Grand Case for dinner most evenings - it is just about 10 mins by taxi from the hotel.

The water taxi option is great fun - the airport pick up worked very efficiently and made you feel immediately on vacation, instead of having to spend previous time in transit on a mini van.

The only thing I did not like was the very steep hill on the entrance into the hotel area - could be tough in a small car.

Laid back elegance, great staff,no hassels

by TripAdvisor Member dugiemd

We visited the Radisson last week for a one week stay; with a 17 and 13 year old. It is a nice size, not to small and but very comfortable size.We had adjoining rooms, so we had our space but knew where the kids were. The rooms are large and airy, brand new furniture with Sleep Number Beds, which I initially thought was kinda' gimmicky but they were very comfortable. Nice big bathrooms,bright and well ventilated. Plenty of towels which were replenished every day, and more offered at night with turn down service.( along with a nice little 2 piece box of locally made chocolate ) great air conditioning units; very adjustable and very quite. Hard wired free high speed internet. Our room was hit or miss on picking up the wireless which is available around the lobby area. Large flat screen, no dvd player ,which I think there web site says were offered. Maybe if you ask... A couple of good sized closets with rods and cubby space as well as large dresser. I bring lots of shirts and have learned to bring my own hangers. Which was agood move. the closet had a large digital safe. Nice.
Breakfast was included. Wide variety of pastries, fresh fruit, jams, yogurt,cereals,fresh juices(several)as well as scrambled egss, which I am not a huge fan of but they were very good. Omelets to order. bacon,sausage, taters, a daily special dish,pancakes. Very good coffee and a wonderfully friendly staff.
The pool area was great. Lots of umbrellas and loungers( brand new Brown Jordan, very comfy. Even when laid flat for lying on your stomach- this is a bad position for lots of loungers.) We have been to many resorts where you need to stake out your loungers before breakfast. What a pain in the a... Not so here. The pool was cool but not cold. The infinity edge was a nice visual touch as you look out on the ocean. The beach was nice size, clean and again, there they had lots of chairs and umbrellas and a full staff to set things up for you. Beautiful smallish bay setting. Poolside there is a hut for towels and off resort excursions. We did a private snorkel trip on the "Keola" with John-Marc. This was expensive but worth it. He took us to several spots, went diving with us and gave lots of local info.Very good equipment. Would do that again
We had a lunch or two on the resort. Dinners we ate off the resort. Two offerings were available just off the property. La Toscano ( ? ) was very good, very accommodating to one of our picky eaters. The other one( name escapes me) on the far right, was just ok with indifferent/slow service. By far the best dining was in nearby Grand Case. LOTS of great offerings from really elegant French, to the six or so clustered "Lolos", which are a local favorite offering BBQ ribs, steaks,fish, lobster. Really good home cooking. Picnic tables, loud, but lots of fun. On Tuesdays Grand Case closes the street and a street fair happens. Good fun. Very crowded. Service was very good/attentive at all the Grand Case restaraunts we ate at. There is so much competition, they work very hard to please. Tipping is a mysterious subject in St Martin. Some places add a service charge which we never really got a straight answere to as to what it was. One guy told us it was a tax- NOT. The overall impression we had was the service charge was the owners way of collecting the money paid to the server. They get a salary. If you want to do something for the server beyond the service charge, you have to leave it in cash; separate from your bill. 9 I think) . Do some research on this.
The Euro is the local currency which hurts if you spend dollars. However; many Grand Case establishments will go one for one on Euro/Dollar exchanges for CASH only.Check their sign boards that each has outside with their menus. Bring lots of dollars. The ATMs that we found often were out of money and dispense Euros. ( If you plan a trip to the Dutch side the ATMs at the casinos were fee free and gave dollars.) You will same at least 28% eating at establishment that offer the cash dollar even exchange for euros. This can be a big savings if you are eating out for all your meals.
The Radisson is remote. Which is nice for its setting and beauty but you will need a car to see all the island has to offer. We didn't shop around prior and went with the Hertz that was in the lobby. Very handy and the rep was very helpful with local info. We found it very easy to get around the island. Roads much better on the French side with many streetside landscaped areas. The Dutch side was very different. Enough said. We felt very safe driving around, even at night. Again we preferred the French Side, but to be fair we didn't really spend much time on the Dutch side. We went one evening to at Atlantis casino. Pretty tacky in a ' 70's sorta way. Very small. But we aren't casino people, so there wasn't much appeal to begin with, but if you go remember to with the atm for $s.
Bring lots of your favorite sunscreen. You will need it and it is very $ with limited selection.
Over all we likedSt Martin and would go back. Since we had a car we did see lots of the island and think the Radisson was the nicest we saw and we would go back there.

A week in paradise

by TripAdvisor Member MrGreenNyc

We had the best time ever! The island of St. Martin was beautiful, the beach at Anse Marcel was picture perfect, they have a great pool and beach side dining. The weather was great, the facility was beautiful and the staff was very helpful and friendly. Concierge reccommended great restaurants. We actually relaxed and forgot about “real life” for a few days. It was the perfect respite from reality,

Simply Stunning!

by TripAdvisor Member sunandsail

The Radisson did a remarkable makeover of the previous French-managed property. The grounds are spacious, the lobby is elegant, and the outside terrace with informal and cozy sitting areas give the resort an upscale and relaxed feel. The beach has breathtaking views and the sprawling pool area gives ample space for guests at anytime to stake out a chaise without any hassles. In fact, I had a few day activities planned on St. Martin, but I could not remove the rest of my family from this beautiful resort!

The only downside of our vacation, which didn't have to do with the hotel, was the expensive cab fares. We didn't mind paying in euros for a nice dinner in Grand Case, but it cost our family $50 for roundtrip fare to eat in Grand Case, which is the next town over. The taxi rates from the hotel are $15 one way for 2 passengers plus $5 each additional. It would have been great if the Radisson had their own transportation available for a small fee to Grand Case and some nearby places. When we stayed at the Radisson in Santa Fe, NM, they offered us free transportation into the downtown area. I know many people arriving to St. Martin rent a car, but we don't want to deal with it on vacation. Besides we would have needed a large rental for all our luggage which would have been expensive. Note: the two restaurants at the marina are worth visiting if you don't want to leave the area.

Service at the hotel was very good--Claudette & Alain (concierge), Claude (lobby bartender) Sunshine (pool staff) and Annabelle (wait staff) were some of the staff that professionally stood out from the rest. I had trouble understanding (poor English) the representative from the excursion desk, but I was told she was from an outside source. Also, housekeeping was excellent. I did not have a spa treatment, so I cannot comment on that. I believe the opening of the fitness center and spa with be in the fall of '09. They did have new exercise equipment available in a makeshift workout room.

All in all, the Radisson has a real gem with this resort. If they maintain the property well and keep up the good guest relations, they will continue to receive high marks and happy guests.

Beautiful Surpise!

by TripAdvisor Member tvlgirlnj

This resort is new -- I believe it just opened in dec '08. The property is beautiful -- large reception area with open air seating, manicured grounds and a lovely beach. The infinity pool is also beautiful and quite large.

The rooms are quite nice --- really good size, comfortable beds and bright and airy. The housekeeping needs some improvement (there was sand on the floor of the closet and some papers under the desk when we got in our room), but overall, I was impressed.

The majority of the staff is very friendly -- and while they are still new at their jobs, they are willing to find the answer for you if they don't already know it. There are 2 restaurants on site -- a casual one that offers a buffet for breakfast and dinner -- and a nicer one water side for lunch and then a nicer dinner. They need to offer some more french wines though!

They offer some unique activities too -- we took part in a wine and cheese tasting for 10 Euro pp. This ended up to be a nice way to meet other guests -- and the staff member leading it was very nice. They need some more practice on this -- some more types of wine and cheese for example. And it was hosted in the ocean side restaurant, which during lunch and late afternoon is over-run with flies!

The hotel is located next to another luxury property and there are some shops and restaurants in walking distance too. Other than that, if you want to leave the area, you either need a rental car or be willing to pay for the pricey cabs.

Evidently some package (not ours!) includes an airport transfer via boat for an extra fee. We met some guests who did this and just raved about it. Otherwise, its a 45 minute taxi ride (approx $40) to the airport.

Beautiful and very relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member genio67

We stayed for 4 nights and we really enjoyed every minute of our stay. The location in Anse marcel is so peaceful and relaxing. We much preferred this location to a busier area like Orient Beach. However, we are a couple in our early 40's looking for a quiet break. It was easy to take a taxi to leave the area for dinner and we also rented a car for a day, but if we wanted easy access to nightlife and more action it might not be the best spot. We also ate at several restaurants in the immediate area which we enjoyed. La Locanda right across from the hotel ( nice dinner and fun atmosphere) and Le Calypso ( we only ate lunch, delicious salads) and at the restaurant at the hotel (C Le Restaurant) which was delicious. We had a dinner and drinks one night at the hotel next door which had a nice atmosphere, good food and very convenient . We enjoyed a night cap each night at the Lobby Bar at the Radisson while sitting outside in the beautiful warm night air. There is also a bar at the restaurant that is right on the beach. The staff throughout the hotel were extremely friendly and accommodating. I thought the beach in Anse marcel was beautiful and relaxing and the pool was great. The only thing we were not thrilled with was the buffet breakfast. It was decent and had lots of choices but I don't find buffets all that appealing. However, this would not prevent me from returning or highly recommending this hotel.

Best spot on St. Martin

by TripAdvisor Member ranlynmas

The Radisson was great for the following reasons:
l. amazing location
7. large sitting areas in open air lobby
8. nice bar
9. delicious breakfast buffet
10. weather on anse marcel is beautiful

One thing to improve upon:
1. bathrooms are very large, however the doors don't close all the way and you can see through the cracks; also there is no fan

We were there with our 3 children - 20,22,and 24 and we had a wonderful time. We would love to return!!!

Secluded Special Surprise

by TripAdvisor Member hhj26

The new Radisson in St. Martins is a genuine find! We were happily surprised to find the location a secluded cove, Ance Marcel, amidst the hubhub of St. Martins/St. Martaans. (Go to Google Maps and you will see). One of the friendliest most supportive staffs we have encountered anywhere. Terrific little beach restuaurant/ bar. And, at night, a local Anastasia plays dreamy piano in the front lobby. And, the most beautiful, large, sculpted infinity swimming pool in the Caribbean.

UUAAHHHH... VACATION!!! Baie Longue - Long BeachUUAAHHHH... VACATION!!! Baie Longue - Long Beach

Beach from a distanceBeach from a distance

sun setting upper decksun setting upper deck

upper deck above deck 10upper deck above deck 10