Grand Tikal Futura Hotel

Calzada Roosevelt 22-43, Zona 11, Guatemala City, Western Highlands, 01011, Guatemala

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

5-star hotel shaped like Mayan Temple: by mall

I stayed at the Grand Tikal Futura because I read good reviews about it. Most reviewers say that it is not near the city center, but it is annexed to a mall. For me this was acceptable since my tours were “full days” and I would just be in the hotel to sleep.

The hotel is actually categorized as a 5-star hotel and has an impressive lobby, with the very high ceiling. And I later realized when I saw the hotel from afar on the freeway (as we were coming back from Antigua) that the hotel is actually shaped like a Mayan Temple (from Tikal). The lobby sofas were overflowing with big pillows there’s hardly a place to sit, lol. But overall a wonderful hotel to check into. Front desk was straightforward and the bell boys are attentive.

I arrived at about 10 PM and I did call the hotel for a shuttle pick-up at the time and they said they would put me in the schedule. Once you go out of the airport doors, the hotel shuttles are to the left and so I proceeded to go there but there was no Grand Futura shuttle and a young man volunteered to call the shuttle for me and I was a bit hesitant about this because what if this guy was just trying to fool me (?) But anyway, he did call the hotel and the shuttle arrived but the driver said we were to wait for 3 more passengers so it was about 45 minutes after I arrived that I finally headed out to the hotel. A taxi from the airport would have cost $15 I think. I just gave $2 tip to the driver (I had only a carryon).

Room was large and I had a view of the city (I was Rm 712 close to elevators) and there was flat screen and a nice clean bathroom but a bit outdated. But the bed was comfy. My wireless internet connection was okay in the room, but it was even better and faster when I use my laptop either in the lobby or the restaurant).

They have a little store close to the reception which was open late (9PM I think) and that is where I bought some stamps to send postcards for my friends on VT. The mailbox is just outside the hotel door.

The hotel does have a nice pool area and gym on the second floor, complete with spa and professional massage (60 minute massage for only less than $30).

They have the nice restaurant at the second floor also which has wood-fried pizza – but I chose to eat the Traditional Guatemala steak with plantain, tortillas/rice, and refried beans. It was already about 1015 when I was done and I usually have hot choco after a big meal, but the waiter said it was not offered anymore because the machine was off (?) Well, other than that last disappointment (I needed my choco, hehehe), the restaurant is okay and entrees are about 130 Quetzal (about$15), and pizza if I remember right was only about 85 Quetzal. They do include the 10% tip on the bill.

The convenience with this hotel is that you just ride an elevator to floor C1, and you are at a three-level mall (with fastfood at the top and where I tried the local KFC called Pollo Campero). I did do some walking around and even went over the bridge to the other mall across the street and I did feel safe and not threatened at all (I was walking from 6-8 PM – dark already Nov 2009).

Going back to the airport was easy – they have times as to when the shuttle leaves and I had to leave at 530 AM and was told to be at the lobby 10 minutes before. I checked out at 505 AM, and the driver offered to take me straight to airport which was great because I did not have to wait for 530 AM.

Good hotel to stay at if you don’t mind being far from the city. Bathrooms might need some renovating, but the room is overall comfortable.

Unique Quality: Architecturally like a Mayan Temple from outside; conveniently connected to a local mall

More about Grand Tikal Futura Hotel

Guatemala 5* Hotel

by nulac about Grand Tikal Futura Hotel

Great rooms, some are too big indeed.
Nice gym with indor swing pool
Located near 2 shopping mall
Hotel provide free transportation to and from the airport that is just 15 minuts away.

Guatemala city: Grand Tikal...

by Carlo-B.

Guatemala city: Grand Tikal futura (hyatt) has many good restaurants, is the centre and near to the biggest shopping center there.

If you go to tikal you can stay in Flores, a very nice town on a small island in the middle of a river. The hotels there are very simples but nice. One of them is the Hotel ' el itza'

A very good (and quite expensive alternative, if you want to go to Tikal is the ' Winston camino real' in el Ramate. This one has got nice bungalows placed in a wonderful tropical garden directly at the see. It is a very lonely place.
Grand Tikal futura : ca. 75 USD a night pp
el itza : ca. 12 USD a night pp
Camino real ca. 60-80 USD a night pp (depending on the bungalow)

shopping in guatemala city

by quime about tikal futura mall

tikal futura could be the best mall in town, but spensed, try a KOREAN mall just in front of tikal futura...you will find the same item but cheaper. located at Miraflores.

Another colorfull option is the Mercado de artesanias, where is lots of souvenirs and tipical clothes. it is located at zona 13, near the airport SOUVENIRS

GUATEMALA CITY

by RAZOR-REN

GUATEMALA CITY HAS A BAD REPUTATION FOR IT'S HIGH CRIME RATE.

IT IS OFTEN DIRTY AND RUN-DOWN IN MOST PLACES ALTHOUGH YOU DO GET NICE MODERN SHOPPING CENTRES EVERYWHERE (SUCH AS THE MIRAFLORES SHOPPING MALL LOCATED CLOSE TO THE GRAND TIKAL FUTURA HOTEL IN ZONA 11) WHICH MIGHT BE WORTH CHECKING OUT IF YOU NEED SOMETHING WHILE IN THE CITY.

THE ROADS IN THE CITY ARE OFTEN GRIDLOCKED WITH TRAFFIC CONGESTION WHICH CAN TAKE TIME TO GET FROM ONE PART OF THE CITY TO ANOTHER.

YOU MIGHT WANNA CHECKOUT THE MUSEUMS AND THE ZOO WHICH ARE LOCATED AROUND THE BLOCK FROM THE AIRPORT IN ZONA 13.

tikal futura malltikal futura mall

First time to Guatemala

by mvsanjuan

I will be traveling to Guatemala from Puerto Rico on November 28 for 9 days.
We are booked at the Grand Tikal Futura Hotel (any comments on this Hotel)? We have the following excursions: Santo Tomas Cathedral, Lake Atitlan, Antigua City, Chichicastenango, Guatemala city. Apart from these toursit excursions do you have any suggestions on what is a MUST to see or do in Guatemala? Also where can we safely go for a taste of nightlife in Guatemala? Any recommendations on Restaurants?

I will greatly appreciate any comments and/or suggestions that will make this a wonderful experience. I have heard alot of good things about Guatemala and I am looking forward to this trip.
Thanks
Maria

RE: First time to Guatemala

by Sue08080

Hello Maria,

I love Guatemala. There are many great pages here on VT. Check them out. I have pages on Antigua and Panajachel. I'm sure you will have a lovely time.

Sue

RE: First time to Guatemala

by mongo2

You couldn't find a better place to start your trip from than the Tikal Futura.For shopping,the Tikal Futura Mall,and the surrounding shopping centers,movie theaters and restaraunts[all within easy walking distance],are the finest in Guatemala.Be sure to go to the Astoria Delicatessan [located in the Cemaco shopping center]for great sandwiches and imported Tucher beer.Theres also a Hooters Rest.Quiznos,Price Mart,TGIF,and numerous other eateries.Don't miss the San Martin Bakery,wow,I'm getting hungry just thinking about it! Also, one of the finest museums here of pre-columbian artifacts,the MiraFlores,is located nearby.Enjoy!

Comments