Grand Tikal Futura Hotel

jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

5-star hotel shaped like Mayan Temple: by mall

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 20, 2009

I stayed at the Grand Tikal Futura because I read good reviews about it. Most reviewers say that it is not near the city center, but it is annexed to a mall. For me this was acceptable since my tours were “full days” and I would just be in the hotel to sleep.

The hotel is actually categorized as a 5-star hotel and has an impressive lobby, with the very high ceiling. And I later realized when I saw the hotel from afar on the freeway (as we were coming back from Antigua) that the hotel is actually shaped like a Mayan Temple (from Tikal). The lobby sofas were overflowing with big pillows there’s hardly a place to sit, lol. But overall a wonderful hotel to check into. Front desk was straightforward and the bell boys are attentive.

I arrived at about 10 PM and I did call the hotel for a shuttle pick-up at the time and they said they would put me in the schedule. Once you go out of the airport doors, the hotel shuttles are to the left and so I proceeded to go there but there was no Grand Futura shuttle and a young man volunteered to call the shuttle for me and I was a bit hesitant about this because what if this guy was just trying to fool me (?) But anyway, he did call the hotel and the shuttle arrived but the driver said we were to wait for 3 more passengers so it was about 45 minutes after I arrived that I finally headed out to the hotel. A taxi from the airport would have cost $15 I think. I just gave $2 tip to the driver (I had only a carryon).

Room was large and I had a view of the city (I was Rm 712 close to elevators) and there was flat screen and a nice clean bathroom but a bit outdated. But the bed was comfy. My wireless internet connection was okay in the room, but it was even better and faster when I use my laptop either in the lobby or the restaurant).

They have a little store close to the reception which was open late (9PM I think) and that is where I bought some stamps to send postcards for my friends on VT. The mailbox is just outside the hotel door.

The hotel does have a nice pool area and gym on the second floor, complete with spa and professional massage (60 minute massage for only less than $30).

They have the nice restaurant at the second floor also which has wood-fried pizza – but I chose to eat the Traditional Guatemala steak with plantain, tortillas/rice, and refried beans. It was already about 1015 when I was done and I usually have hot choco after a big meal, but the waiter said it was not offered anymore because the machine was off (?) Well, other than that last disappointment (I needed my choco, hehehe), the restaurant is okay and entrees are about 130 Quetzal (about$15), and pizza if I remember right was only about 85 Quetzal. They do include the 10% tip on the bill.

The convenience with this hotel is that you just ride an elevator to floor C1, and you are at a three-level mall (with fastfood at the top and where I tried the local KFC called Pollo Campero). I did do some walking around and even went over the bridge to the other mall across the street and I did feel safe and not threatened at all (I was walking from 6-8 PM – dark already Nov 2009).

Going back to the airport was easy – they have times as to when the shuttle leaves and I had to leave at 530 AM and was told to be at the lobby 10 minutes before. I checked out at 505 AM, and the driver offered to take me straight to airport which was great because I did not have to wait for 530 AM.

Good hotel to stay at if you don’t mind being far from the city. Bathrooms might need some renovating, but the room is overall comfortable.

Unique Quality: Architecturally like a Mayan Temple from outside; conveniently connected to a local mall

Nearby Grand Tikal Futura Hotel

Grand Tikal Futura Hotel

• Hotel Grand Tikal Futura
  • Grand Tikal Futura Guatemala City

Address: Calzada Roosevelt 22-43, Zona 11, Guatemala City, Western Highlands, 01011, Guatemala

5 Photos of Grand Tikal Futura Hotel

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Guatemala City Travel Forum

Need advice about Guatemala City, Guatemala? Visit the Travel Forum for Guatemala City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Guatemala City hotel reviews

Goat Milk?
La Merced Church.
Museo Ixchel & Popol Vuh
Things to Do
Not everything that shines is gold
Warnings and Dangers
Did not see wildlife? - no problem
Centro Civico
Aurora Park Zoo
Parque Oblisco
Pasaje Rubio.
Things to Do
Take crime reports with a grain of salt
Warnings and Dangers
Contraloria de Cuentas Building. (Banco Nottebohn)
Post Office Building.
Fruit Stalls.
Local Customs
Central Market. Lower Level (Farmer´s Market).
Things to Do
Central Market. Upper Level ( Arts and Crafts)
Things to Do
Formerly Palace Hotel Building.
Paraninfo (Assembly Hall).
Downtown street.
Parque Central Fountain.
National Palace.
Things to Do
Portal del Comercio (Gate of Commerce).
Metropolitan Cathedral.