Hostal Los Volcanes

Hostal Los Volcanes
Booking.com Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Guatemala City

Huge Cristmas Tree in one of Guatemala city plazasHuge Cristmas Tree in one of Guatemala city plazas

Centro CivicoCentro Civico

PolitecnicaPolitecnica

Torre Del ReformadorTorre Del Reformador

Tikal

by UltimateStoner

Hi,

We are taking an overnight bus to Tikal and then an overnight bus back to Guatemala City that night and on to Lake Atitlan. I was hoping someone could tell me if there is a place to secure our bags while hiking in Tikal. Is there a locker or something like that? We will have our bags with us and I don't want to hike around with a giant backpack on my shoulders. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Julie

Re: Tikal

by Odinnthor

Wow, that is a rough one! An overnight bus to Tikal, - full day of hiking and another overnight back......!!! Not really what I would recommend. OK, the roads are paved and there is a "luxury" coach that does the overnight trip. It will get you to Tikal in the early morning. I would however consider an overnight in the park and go back the next day or next night overnight bus. This will allow you to secure your bags at the hotel. Even though you do not check in until afternoon, they can secure your bags for you.

If you are going to really hike around, you will be exhausted. I do not remember any place to secure your bags, except the hotels. It does not mean that they are not there, but I cannot recollect any, but was not looking for them either. Good luck. Tikal is worth the effort.

Re: Tikal

by Chenbaaxal

You can easily leave your pack at the Visitors' Center in a small separate room for a small charge.

Travel Tips for Guatemala City

Pasta Caffe & Ristorante

by AnnaLupilla about Tre Fratelli

I`ve been there two times now, as it is my boss`s favorite restaurant jajaja. I like it as well, especially the bread with oil and Italian cheese that comes adelante of the ordered food. One calls that an "amuseguele" en francais. They`ve got different types of lasagna. I like especially the seafood part of the show.

Central Park on Sunday

by thelukey

Guatemala City's central park is the place to be on Sunday to join the multitudes and enjoy the park's fountain, visit the cathedral, do some shopping, or just sit back and watch everyone else go about their business. It might just be the best place in the country to fade into the surroundings and take a few candid pictures of the native people in their famously ornate indigenous dress, and it’s also a good place to do some shopping, whether you're looking for typical Guatemalan tapestries and native dress, or if you are looking for the ingredients you need to brew some traditional native remedy or to arm some herbal concoction designed to cast an evil spell on your enemies.

Guatemala City, Guatemala

by diverdown1970

"Guatemala City what a place to see!"

Thankfully due to my work I travel to Guatemala City frequently though only on this last trip did I actually get to stay longer than a day. I stayed at the Hotel Intercontinental in Zone 10, which was around $110 USD per night and was a very nice luxurious hotel. If I went on my own I would probably stay at a cheaper hotel. The city is divided into zones.. Zone 10 is pretty much from what I gathered from previous reports and my own observations the commercial area. Lots of malls stores and nightclubs to goto and lavish hotels, also very safe and secrure. I still took the normal precautions as I do in any foreign country but had no problems what so ever. I also took a personal guided tour from the hotel to a place called Iximche which was the first capital of Guatemala. Originally a Mayan City that was destroyed by the Spanish Conquistadors in the 1500's. You can still see several of the structures and also the history of the place. The tour took about 8 hours roughly and that included stopping for a bite to eat at a place called Kapot. The guide charged $75 USD per person which I thought was a little steep though was worth it.

Also got to enjoy the nightlife which was fabulous and the people there are very friendly. I speak very little if any spanish and was still able to communicate enough to get by. Though I must admit knowing spanish would have made my trip much more fun if that was possible. :) Visited many of the nightclubs all within walking distance of the hotel which made it easy to get around. The hotel staff was helpful in pointing out several locations and places for me to go in the brief time I was there. Hopefully I will be able to stay much longer my next trip there. But for now off to planning for Thailand and Colombia!

"Central Market Zone 1"

Almost forgot to mention my trip to the Central Market in Zone 1. Zone 1 was from what everyone there was telling me is not a place to go walking around. So when the locals tell me its not safe I begin to wonder. However they said inside the market itself is pretty decent and you should have no trouble. So in I went and was overwhelmed by everything there was to see. The market is 3 floors all together with the top floor being mostly trinkets, handbags and all things in between it seemed. The middle floor was mostly fruits, vegetables, produce type stuff primarily with the bottom one being much of the same. There were a few stands or eaterys where you could grab a bite to eat and sit down though I did not try any of them. Though I will say most of the stuff in the market was pretty cheap and I spent way more than I should have. Also it is a good idea to bring a much bigger bag along than what you need. Had a heck of a time trying to carry my trinkets I bought. You think I would learn from past experience since this has happened to me before.

Ahh well... in closing, Guatemala City is a awesome place to visit and I really look forward to going back soon!!

Comments