Guatemala City Hotels

• Pieter11 profile photo Pieter11
  • Reviews: 1236

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Couchsurfing: Guatemala City for free

In 2006 I discovered a website called www.couchsurfing.com. This webcommunity has several tens of thousands of members who all offer a place to sleep for free for other members: you are offering a place to sleep in case someone asks you, and the other members are willing to welcome you if you ask to. No matter where you are looking for a place to sleep, you will always find some couchsurfers around. And so in Guatemala City you'll also find some.

In the capital I stayed with a couple that was very welcoming and showed us aroud in the city-centre too. They picked us up at the airport, they prepared us a great breakfast and a great dinner and most important: they really made us feel like home.

And besides all the advantages of staying with the locals in a unique atmosphere, of course it is all for free!

• Opinion of Price: N/A

• Babzz profile photo Babzz
  • Reviews: 370

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Dos Lunas: Nice accomodations for morning flight

We needed a place to stay for the night prior to our flight out to Tikal early in the morning, so this was the perfect place. They arrange transportation to the airport (free for the International Airport, but we had to pay for the taxi because we were flying from the National Airport, which is a further drive). Our room was pleasant for the $12 per person, there was bottled water available, and a hot shower! Also, it's in Zone 13 and the property is gated, so we felt safe. A staff member even came out to meet us at the gate as we arrived at night. Breakfast was included as well, but we unfortunately missed it due to our early flight out :(

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written July 20, 2006

• Assenczo profile photo Assenczo
  • Reviews: 708

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Forgotten, sorry!: Airport hideout

This place does not deserve any superlatives and I do not think it was built with superlatives in mind. It caters to the backpackers market and offers a product compatible with its clientele. I chose it because of its proximity to the airport (I had an early flight form Guatemala to Mexico City) and the archeological museum plus the zoo. Another attractive feature was that it was not in downtown - reportedly more dangerous part of the city. Danger can never be overstated but sometimes it gets in the way of appreciating the place. Nothing happened to me and in the same time I could see many houses reinforced with barbed wire - there must be a reason.

I had found the hostel on the Internet and was dropped there by the tourist minivan from Copan, Honduras nicely organized by the agent there. I have some Spanish under my belt but the agent was instrumental in the talks with the opposite side (the hostel) which wanted to make sure that I will pay for the whole room since I was travelling alone. Somehow we could not negotiate this over the Internet, in English despite the fully fluent owner/operator.

Close to the airport and Museum of Archeology. Rides for planes taking off in weird hours are given on request.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Historical Travel, Backpacking
  • Written October 12, 2005

• shadowofwind profile photo shadowofwind
  • Reviews: 24

Pension Mesa!: Pension Mesa!

Probably, it is one of the best logging opition for backpackers in Guatemala City. It is cheap, clean, and in good location. Besides that...supposedly, Che Guevara stayed there!! People working at the hostel told me that, and I saw the same info. elsewhere. He was in Guatemala before he met Fidel Castro in Mexico City and led the Cuban Revolution in 1959.

• Opinion of Price:
  • Written August 26, 2002

• franar profile photo franar
  • Reviews: 50

the is a hotel....called...

the is a hotel....called Marriot or something like that.....i think is free...or the company paid????

very quite and formal, and internet is expensive.....
nice view of the city and nice pool,
the breakfast great!