Mariana's Petit Hotel

Zona VivaZona Viva

Mercado CentralMercado Central

National PalaceNational Palace

Parque ObliscoParque Oblisco

Which tour site should I use??

by crazybenni

My brother and I are planning a little trip to visit some cousins that live in Guatemala City. We'll need someplace that starts there. We'd like to go hike up the Pacaya Volcano, but I see conflicting accounts of the hike. One person said it takes 3 hours to hike to the top, another an hour and a half (the one site I reviewed also said 1 1/2 hours). Is it only 1 1/2 to the crater and then you can continue on? We'd like to go a little further (thus get a tour that is a little more adventurous -- we'd like to look down and see the lava!).

So - can anyone tell us which tour group they used, what they liked about it, etc? Thanks!!

Re: Which tour site should I use??

by RAZOR-REN

I DUNNO ABOUT TOURS TO PACAYA AS I'VE TRAVELLED UP THE VOLCANO INDEPENDENTLY ON 2 OCCASIONS.

THE AMOUNT OF TIME IT TAKES TO GET UP THERE DEPENDS ON HOW QUICK YOU'RE MOVING AND HOW FIT YOU ARE BASICALLY. BUT YES IT'S ANYTHING BETWEEN 1 1/2 HOURS TO 3 HOURS UP THERE.

YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO GO UP TO THE CRATER BUT HOWEVER, THERE ARE LIVE LAVA FLOWS WHICH YOU COULD GET CLOSE TO. ENJOY!

CHECKOUT MY PACAYA PAGES ON MY PROFILE IF YA LIKE

Travel Tips for Guatemala City

Native visitors to Tikal are...

by JeanCooke

Native visitors to Tikal are very friendly. This grandmother had no hesitation when asked to pose for a picture. Family groups make it a day with little girls and women dressed in beautiful native dresses.

Tikal's 10-mile site is...

by JeanCooke

Tikal's 10-mile site is located in a dense jungle of paths and trails. Wandering off ourselves without map or guide, we would have been better off with the rest of our group since they saw spider and howler monkeys and we only saw pesky coatimundies. Took a dense jungle shortcut behind German tourists—mistake. Follow the broad exit road instead.

Extensive business travel in Guatemala City

by MaDeuce

"Background"

My company started doing business in Guatemala this year. As a result, I've spent a total of about three months in Guatemala during 2008. Unfortunately, ALL of that time has been in Guatemala City.

I have traveled extensively internationally, but this was my first venture into Central America. Frankly, I was a little apprehensive about anti-gringo sentiment and crime. I'm very happy to say that I found the Guatemalan people to be incredibly friendly and willing to help me in almost any way they could.

I was extremely concerned about crime, but (fingers crossed) I had absolutely no encounters with anyone in which I felt unsafe. I should qualify that statement by saying that I spent 95% of my time in Zones 9 and 10.

I like to walk, when possible, to get where I'm headed. Unless I was wearing a suit or in a hurry, I did this. For some reason, which I have yet to comprehend, someone that walks most places seems to be viewed as slightly 'touched' in the head, or perhaps, more politely, eccentric. However, you needn't walk if you prefer not to -- about the only thing I found in Guatemala that I considered to be a huge bargain relative to US prices were taxis -- they are cheap!

Sure, the city is incredibly poluted. I found myself gasping for air a few times when I inadvertently inhaled deeply as a chicken bus roared by. But the people there are wonderful and more than make up for the other shortcomings.

TIKAL TEMPLE II MAYAN RUIN

by JeanCooke

The 1 1/2 hour trip to and from Tikal from Mopan River Resort in Belize was over well-packed limestone dirt road then onto blacktop. Guetamala is 1 mile from the Resort. Took us about 1/2 hour going through the border, paying Belize conservation exit fee and tax, applicable when we depart the country. Used plentiful moneychangers for quetzals to pay Guatemalan fees.

Crossing the Mopan into Guatemala the living conditions go from basic to primitive. Thatched roofs and open doorways are common. Some people have 4wd or cars but most get around by horse, walking or bike. Brahman cattle graze fields; pigs and chickens scrape a living along the roadside and turkeys cluck with tail feathers spread in rough dirt yards. Crops of corn, banana trees and fruit trees abound.

Comments