Casa Florencia Hotel

7a. Av. Norte # 100, Sacatepequez, Antigua Guatemala, Western Highlands, Guatemala

• isabeau's Profile Photo

A Wonderful Place to Stay

I stayed here during my first three days in Antigua. Then I moved to a more expensive place right by the Arco, just to get a different perspective, and didn't enjoy it near as much. There was so much noise from the tourists hanging around the Arco till 1am, when the sidewalks rool up, and the attention to guests' needs wasn't as much of a priority.

Patricia, the owner of Casa Florencia, is a sharp woman who runs her hotel with the intent of pleasing her guests. My luggage didn't arrive when I did, and Patricia made several calls to the airport trying to locate it. She even arranged for a taxi to go to the airport to collect my luggage once it was found.

I loved the location of the hotel because even though it wasn't in the thick of things, it was within walking distance to everything. After a couple of days there, I felt like I was "coming home" every time I entered.

About the hotel: It is very clean and quaint. The rooms on the first floor open to a corridor and small interior garden. The windows of these rooms open to this corridor, which concerned me at first because of noise. It was never a problem though because it was cool at night and I had to close the window. However, try to book a room that isn't next to the reception area if possible. The rooms on the second floor opened to a balcony with a beautiful view of Agua Volcano.

The rooms are simple but tasteful. The mattress was firm, and the pillows "plump". There is a T.V. in each room with cable. No phones in the rooms but there is a public phone next to the reception area. The bathrooms were definitely efficient with hot water, and a blow dryer can be requested from the desk.

Breakfast is not included but coffee is available every morning. Just a block or two away is a very good, and cheap, breakfast place called "Rodrigo's" if I remember well.

I met some very interesting, and experienced travelers at this hotel, with whom I had a wonderful time exploring Antigua. I will definitely stay at Casa Florencia again.

Unique Quality: Clean and charming hotel, with attentive staff, good location, and excellent value!

Directions: Near Iglesia de la Merced

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

A room with a view

We had a view of the mountains and volcanoe from our front door. Like all the other buildings here , you see nothing but the door from the street. Inside is another world .The rooms are spotless with spanish yellow walls , hot water and a TV. The reception is friendly and helpful , and there is 24 hour security. It was a wonderful stay and only $45.00 per night for two. NO VISA though!

Short walk 10 minute to the main square.

Unique Quality: Free coffee in the lobby.

More about Casa Florencia Hotel

One very nice hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member LHPSpringfield

We stayed there for two nights in late May 2007. We had to go to another city for two days, then decided to come back to Casa Florencia for the last night of our trip to Guatemala because we liked the hotel so much. The place is extremely clean and well managed. The staff is very nice and courteous. Patricia, the manager speaks perfect English, and she WILL answer your email. The new computer with Internet connection provided to guests free of charge is a welcoming feature. I would certainly recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

Great hotel in a lovely town.

by TripAdvisor Member CamLar

Five nights at this lovely little hotel full of charm. Staff very friendly and helpfull. Room clean and in overall very good condition. Would no doubt stay here again...Price (45 usd) was a very good deal had it not been for the 10 usd price jump on sundays (you get a breakfast this day, but it is only ok and not worth 10 usd)

Simple, Clean and a great bargain

by TripAdvisor Member federalgirl

Based on other reviews here, we chose this small hotel for our 3 night stay in Antigua. Having walked all over the city and visiting several other small hotels and inns, we feel like we got a great deal on a very clean, tidy, and simple small hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms are simple but clean and a great deal for travelers not looking for thrills, but desiring a clean welcoming space to rest. In hind sight, we probably would've stayed at least one night in one of the larger luxurious hotels, but I'm confident we picked the right place for our low key sight-seeing vacation. I like the Mandarin Oriental and the Ritz Carlton a lot, but that wasn't what we were going for on this trip. You will be pleasantly surprised by Casa Florencia.

Great price and great location

by TripAdvisor Member salseroOn1

Casa Florencia personnel were incredibly nice, efficient and helpful. For instance, the grounds were super clean and the bedroom was spotless. Dona Patricia and staff were excellent.
The location was in the north part of town and it is not far from the center of town like everyone else seems to say it is. I found out that the farther you are from the downtown section, there are better eatery joints for far less money such as Fernando's Kaffee (a block or so from Casa Florencia) and Sunshine Grill.
I would stay at Casa Florencia in my next Antigua visit, worth the price. If you are staying out late rather than walking at night, take a tuk-tuk or taxi back to the hotel.
My wife and I had one of the best views of the Volcan de Agua. We were on the second floor of Casa Florencia and as we open the window in the morning, the volcan was impressive, breathtaking.

A great find

by TripAdvisor Member sej1036

While traveling from our sailboat in the Rio Dulce enroute to California, the Casa Florencia was highly recomended by a group of fellow sailors. We were able to obtain a room upon our arrival in Antigua after a disappointing first night at another hotel.
The owner, Patricia, along with the hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful with information and recommendations for restaurants and points of interest. Although it is located several blocks from the central plaza, we found the area to be quite safe, quiet and an easy walk to some good restaurants nearby.
At $45 USD, this small hotel is very charming and extremely clean.
The rooms with private baths are quite modern by western standards but still maintain a colonial charm. All of the second floor rooms offer a spectacular view of the Agua Volcano and the first floor rooms enjoy a lovely landsaped patio area. Free internet service is offered in the lobby and we found a delightful cafe within a block for our daily breakfast.
We would highly recommend the Casa Florencia and plan to sta there upon our return to Antigua next year.

Average hotel

by TripAdvisor Member kaldal

Had the hotel pick us up at the airport in Guatemala City for 25 usd, which worked out great. Upon arrival, the lady in the reception was more concerned with getting her money than welcoming us, which we found rather strange. Rest of the staff was nice, though.

The room was ok. There was hardly any hot water in the shower the first night, but this was fixed the next day.

Positive: clean, nice little wardrobe, and nice interior.

Negative: very firm bed, nowhere to hang towels, small or big ones! (We had to use bathroom door and door knob).

Location is ok, about six-seven blocks from main square, and two-three blocks from to where the commercial centre starts. Might be more quiet than other places, but it sure is quite noisy every time a pick-up or truck passes...

All over: Ok for the price, but I imagine there are better values.

can't wait to return

by TripAdvisor Member mw3264

Here are some comments about our recent stay at Casa Florencia-

I booked direct with the hotel, and Patricia responds very promptly and is most accomodating.

I spent two weeks in Europe in 2005 and two weeks in 2006, and this last trip to Guatemala and my two weeks at Casa Florencia reminded me how much of a true gem Latin America really is. My triple room at Casa Florencia was probably $55.00 or so, and was twice the size of anything I had in France, Croatia or Italy. The doubles are a bit smaller than the triple naturally, but are very comfortable and the bathrooms are modern and super clean. We had some absolutely amazing meals in Antigua and Guatemala City, and I can't say enough about the shopping. My favorite restaurants in Antigua are Las Palmas, Don Martin (featured menu at the hotel front desk), Monoloco, Fridas, and there is a great water pipe bar on Avenida 5. Lots of fun...

The room was spotless, (try the shampoo packets left in the bathroom, they have menthol in them- very refreshing.) . Do try to get a room on the second floor as the views are incredible. My sister took amazing pictures of an eruption at the volcano about 5:30 am while standing outside her room. Fabulous!

The location is very good...it took us a couple of days to get used to the few blocks distance from the Central Square, but it really isn't that far once you get your bearings. It is dark, however. But, we never felt unsafe at any time. You must leave your key whenever you leave the hotel, and even when we came back after 1:00am once, the nice gentleman answered the bell right away. We felt very secure at the hotel and it was great to sleep with the windows open at night if we wanted to.

I manage a travel agency and I have advised all of our staff that Casa Florencia is an excellent choice in Antigua. And I can't wait to return next year for Semana Santa.

Very Pleasant Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Bloort

I recently stayed in Antigua at the Casa Florencia. Patricia, the owner, was remarkably attentive and kind. She packed me a breakfast when I was going to have an early morning departure on Sunday (I was going to miss the Sunday Brunch). The room was always very clean, the location was an easy walk to the main square and nearby restaurants. I would stay there again without question. Wonderful staff, great location and clean rooms! Who could ask for anything more?

Comments