El Hostal

1ra. Avenida Sur No.8, Antigua Guatemala, Guatemala
Hostelworld.com

More about Antigua Guatemala

Iglesia de San Agustin - detailIglesia de San Agustin - detail

Volcán de Agua from our hotelVolcán de Agua from our hotel

Local woman, Iglesia del Hermano PedroLocal woman, Iglesia del Hermano Pedro

Catedral de Santiago from our posadaCatedral de Santiago from our posada

Vaccinations in Guatemala

by santamaz

Hi all, I will be setting off to Central America on 14 March. I will stay in Antigua, Guatemala for four weeks volunteering then set off for a further 2 months travelling around the rest of the area. I will be taking in Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama definitely. I have no fixed itinerary yet and if I have time I would like to try to get up to Belize and Mexico too. My ticket is valid for 1 year so I am quite flexible on time. My question is about the rabies and hep b vaccinations. I have had all the others that are recommended but I thought if I am away for up to a year and travelling at will I may find myself in rural areas where exposure to these two problems is riskier. My problem is time. I think I will be able to have at least 2 of the 3 recommended injections for both but the 3rd is a problem. Does anyone know if It would be advisable/possible to complete the vaccinations in Antigua?

by JessieLang

Malaria is a risk in some of those areas also. Maybe you have already taken care of that, but check into it if you haven't.

by santamaz

Hello thank you for responding to my post. Yes I am covered for malaria, typhoid, hepatitis A, tetanus, and diptheria. Appreciate your help. Best regards Marianne

by monkeyjohn

no worries with your hep b shots. the 3rd "shot" is a titer (to see if the 1st to shots levels take) they usually do. in regards to the rabies vac., just keep clear from wild animals. look, don't touch. also, i absolutely recommend you visit belize. i spent 6 months traveling by car to all of central america and really enjoyed belize. For me it was quite different from the rest, and if you plan on going to Tikal it is very close. happy travels, mj

by santamaz

Thanks for that MonkeyJohn. I have had two injections each of hep B and rabies so now need to get the 3rd of each. I have been advised that these should be done on days 21 or 28 so I am hoping to find somewhere in Antigua that I can get them. Any idea where I might be able to do this? Thanks

Travel Tips for Antigua Guatemala

INGUAT

by AnnaLupilla

The Antigua branch of the Instituto Guatemalteco del Turismo is located on the south side of the Parque Central and always good for decent information on the city. They also hand you out a map of the city.

Peeking Through Doors

by Ken_Weaver

It was fun to walk down the streets and look in the doors to the walled blocks. You might see the lobby of a five star hotel or you might fined a woman scrubbing clothes! Each block was completely surrounded by walls.

The first level, with short...

by la_beba

The first level, with short and flat columns, shown a consciousness to construct with earthquakes in mind. It was the second floor, with wood and tile roofs, which suffered the most damage during the earthquake of 1751 and 1773.

One of the most beautiful and...

by la_beba

One of the most beautiful and representative things of Antigua Guatemala, is the Church and Monastery of La Merced.
The Mercedarian Order was founded in America in 1538, at an early stage of the Spanish colonization. Their monastery in Ciudad Vieja was simply built, most likely from straw and adobe.
The construction of La Merced Church in the new capital began in the mid 1500’s Due to the earthquake of 1565 and 1689, the Mercedarians had to continually rebuild, modify, amplify, repair their church monastery.

Get WET and DIRTY

by catours

If you can ride Motorcycles and like discovering you would just love a DIRT BOY RIVER TOUR!
135 kms off road riding, like it says Rivers and lots of great riding and off road exploration.
This is a day full of action and really seeing what is off the beaten track.
You will get great Bikes 175DT Yamaha 2 Stroke, you will get safety equipment and great tips about stying and riding safe.
You will have a great day to see what is out and about around Antigua, don't be shy discover your spirit of adventure 99.9% Guaranteed.

Comments