Hotel Casa Concepcion

The city map in La MercedThe city map in La Merced

Church and musicians, San Pedro HuertasChurch and musicians, San Pedro Huertas

Row of chicken buses, AntiguaRow of chicken buses, Antigua

Arco de Santa Catalina at nightArco de Santa Catalina at night

what to wear and not wear

by miniguinea

Hi,
A friend of mine told me that only "idiot" American tourists wear shorts in Antigua. Is it really frowned upon? What should women visiting NOT wear. I see no jewlery....do you mean gold? Is inexpensive "costume" jewlery okay?

Please advise...thanks...
Chris

by Bajan_Tonie

Hi

Do not mind your friend you car wear your shorts or a summer dress or jeans. I wont advise you to wear your finery but I guess the costume is ok.... By the way, I wore my jewellery when I was there but I guess the advisory meant you &15,000 diamond rings ;)

Have a safe and wonderful trip.

by Lurchizo

Nothing wrong with wearing shorts in Atingua. I would recommend a good pair of hiking shoes or sneakers as the old cobble stone streets can be a bit hard on the ankles if you are not paying attention where you are walking. Although Antigue is very safe I generally do not recommend wearing jewelry - costume or otherwise - no sense attracting undue attention to yourself.

by Fluffy_bunny

Heat is relative. Have lived in Mexico (and many other hot countries) plus backpacking through Central America a couple times, it is clear that locals aren't as hot as northerners are. It is rare to see locals wearing shorts. It is not a cultural insult as it would be in the Middle East, but it is a tourist thing.

Jewellery is fine. Simple earrings, maybe a necklace.

Travel Tips for Antigua Guatemala

Tourist Information

by flynboxes

Antigua is small enough to explore on your own..there is even a city map in front of La Merced.
On the other hand most people choose to skip a stay in Guatemala City and use Antigua as a base camp for their adventures. Inguat the national tourisim board for Guatemala has an office here with bilingual staff and plenty of information to help you with your stay...keep in mind that there are plenty of tour operators with offices in the city to assist also if you are interested in booking a tour with them. I used the website www.visitguatemala.com for some of my information but since the scope of my trip was limited to volunteer work with a bit of sightseeing in Antigua I did not spend time here...I did find the office on the other hand on Calle Oriente near 2nd Ave.

If you are in the need check it out...

Visit El Parque.

by carolineraat

The central city square where it all happens. The square consists of a little park with lots of benches and lovely colonial buildings with shops and restaurants on the four sides. Just sit down and watch daily life passing by!

In the old days, this plaza...

by la_beba

In the old days, this plaza looked quite different from what we see today. There were no trees or central fountain; it wasn’t paved witch stones until 1703 .On weekdays, it served as market place, and on special occasions it was seat of public celebrations, military parades, and even bullfights.
On one side, there used to be a scaffold for public hangings.

Reservations in a Restaurant

by Ken_Weaver

We had made reservations for 14 at El Restaurante de la Antorchas for 7pm. I was worried that we would be late and our reservation would be given up. However, I found that people get there when they get there! and you have the table for the entire evening!

Horse back riding/carriage riding

by lmrice

I would ask that you consider not riding the horses in Antigue or any town that has cobble stones. Everytime I visit this town I'm severly distressed by the condition of the roads and what the horses are expected to walk on. I often see maimed horses with bad shoes, limping or skidding over the cobble stones. I can only imagine the splinter fratures that have. These issues will not get any better until we stop the industry that does not provide healthy horses with better shoes and less demanding riders that expect these animals to endure this abuse. the roads must be changed. Please consider this the next time you ask a carriage rider to take you site seeing.

Comments