9a calle Poniente 40, Antigua Guatemala, 00301, Guatemala

Satisfaction Poor

More about Antigua Guatemala

Convento de Santa Clara, AntiguaConvento de Santa Clara, Antigua

Street artist, AntiguaStreet artist, Antigua

Convento della Compagnia de Jesus - detailConvento della Compagnia de Jesus - detail

Fountain of the Sirens, Parque CentralFountain of the Sirens, Parque Central

going to Guatemala....february/march

by haulback

So, I'm going to Guatemala to get in some of surfing, and will have a week or 10 days extra to look around.

I will probably stay a couple days in Antigua but wondering what/where else would be interesting to have a look at, or do.

I will be travelling by myself.

Thanks....Jim

by melosh

Go to a market. Chichicastenago is the most famous.

Go to lake Atitlan and visit the towns around the lake.

Go climb a mountain.

Visit some Mayan ruins.

Just be careful!

by JJfromNJ

Hey Jim,
I too am traveling solo to Guatemala in February. Based on the research I've done, I'm mostly interested in Antigua, the towns around the lake, the Chichi market, Tikal, climbing Pacaya, and maybe getting over to Belize for some diving. Of course I'm no expert though.

by besbel

Both Atitlan and Tikal cannot be missed.
Atitlan is a GORGEOUS lake within volcanoes, and several indigenous groups live in the surroundings. If you do the boat ride you can reach them and buy their crafts and textiles, they're awesome and reasonably priced (unlike Guatemala City or Antigua, where you have to bargain).
Tikal is Guatemala's pride, a pyramidal complex in which you could stay a couple of days to do hiking and reach the top of the pyramid.
If interested in the Chichicastenango market (not far from Atitlan), please bear in mind that it opens on Thursday and Sunday only, if I remember correctly.
If travelling by yourself, it would be better if you do all your tours within daylight. While touristic places like Antigua have improved security and are safe during the night, unfortunately the same cannot be said from other cities, including Guatemala City. In that regard, follow what the locals do.
Good luck and enjoy Guatemala, I die to go back there!
Flor de Maria

Travel Tips for Antigua Guatemala

Indian roots...

by josecarlos

If you go to Antigua, Guatemala, do not hesitate in buying some indian handcrafts. It is amazing how racist mexican population is. Despite our indian roots, we are taught since we are children, to neglect the indian influence in our culture, and mainly to deny the existence of indian blood in our families...

When I visited Guatemala, I found lots of similarities with Mexico regarding the ethnic composition. And lot of discrimination as well.

Surprinsingly, foreignerns appreciate more this indian beauty and cultural richness than we do. I took a picture (after having a nice and long conversation with this indian lady) that for me represents the color and elegance of the different ethnic groups in Guatemala, and southern Mexico too...

Cars and busses

by Pieter11

Cuba might be famous for its beautiful old cars out on the streets, but I was surprised by the great ones I've seen in the cobblestoned streets of Antigua. Of course the busses are attraction number one: in the city, like in every city in Guatemala, you will find dozens of these old American schoolbusses that are "pimped" with lots of chrome and lots of colourful paint.

And besides this you will also see some other beautiful automobiles. I bumbed into the beautiful red pick-up truck on the picture (I don't know the brand: I'm not an expert) and I found the ruins of another little car of which the windows were nothing but a piece of plastic. Even though there was hardly anything left of this one I still loved it. And completely coincidently it was just undertaken by its opposite, a Hummer, when I was near it. Nice picture... :)

Occupied by 28 nuns, the...

by la_beba

Occupied by 28 nuns, the convent had many rooms, large courtyard, garden, orchards, and fountains.
It had the only circular cloister known to exist in America and Europe, sometimes called Novices Tower of Tower of Retreat.

Pack sturdy footwear

by agcw

The cobblestones of the Antugua streets are charming and photogenic. They are also a minefield of ankle-twisting traps if you're not wearing flat soles. I've used boots and sandals and had no problems. How the local women use high heels is beyond me! It is probable that you'll be shaving with cold water. Be prepared. Small and discreet is probably safer.

Valhalla Organic Macadamia Farm

by isabeau

The ride out to the macadamia farm isn't long, and passes some scenic countryside. The tour of the farm surpassed my expectations...it was very interesting.

The macadamias grow in clusters, like grapes, and one cluster can contain as many as 62 nuts. The machine used to remove the husks looks like it was made in someone's backyard, but it is very effective. Once the husks are removed the nuts are left to dry in the sun for 3-4 weeks.
Macadamia trees produce more oxygen than any other type of tree. It is also a sustainable crop because it puts nitrogen into the ground instead of removing it. The rich ash soil in this area is good for growing these trees.

Valhalla gives seedling to villages for reforestation, and teaches the villagers about the benefits of raising macadamia trees.

At the farm you can buy "panqueques" made from macadamia floor, and served with macadamia honey, and a cup of Rosa de Jamiaca tea. The pancakes are good and the setting, with the volcano in the background and shady macadamia trees, is beautiful. You can buy produces made from the nuts there including chocolate covered macadamias, facial oils and lotions, macadamia flour, and the delicious macadamia honey.

Comments