, Jaibalito, Guatemala

More about Vulcano Lodge

Relaxation and Gourmet Food, to Boot!

by TripAdvisor Member lodgelover

The Vulcano Lodge was recommended by friends who live in Guatemala City and they did not steer us wrong! The room was lovely and the hosts and meals were fantastic! We stayed two nights and I wish it would have been twenty. I will definitely go back. If you get a chance to visit this summer while Jacob and Cristin are hosts, you are in for a treat!! We left early on the last morning and they even got up early and packed us breakfast nad lunch to go. We couldn't have asked for more - it's paradise!!

Personal and Quiet

by TripAdvisor Member snrisa

We spent a few quiet days at this lovely hotel and they were some of the best days of our vacation. First, the property itself is beautiful - the rooms and the "trappings" are simple but absolutely clean and spotless, and the beds were unbelievably comfortable. Second, Jacob and Kristen were both excellent hosts and the food was wonderful! We enjoyed the family atmosphere of the dinners. The staff are all local to the small village and couldn't have been nicer or more helpful, although their Spanish is limited, so was ours! The Lodge is off the touristy trail at the Lake, and it was fun to walk through Jaibalito, the Mayan village in which the Lodge is located, at night and in the mornings. We could have spent a week there, easily. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

little paradise in Guatemala

by TripAdvisor Member Hans1976

I spent two nights at this lovely place. Initially I was heading for the other hotel in Jaibalito since this place was fully booked I ended up in Vulcano Lodge. I have to admit it was no punishment at all. Althouh this places lacks the nice view over the lake this was fairly compensated by the nice gardens, the spotless clean rooms, the oasis of rest and the warm hospitality of the host and not to forget the excellent food. It was definitely the best food I got during my stay in Guatemala! The family style dinner is a nice opportunity to meet other people. During the first night 6 other guest were staying in Vulcano Lodge and I really enjoyed the dinner havinfg nice conversations with the other guests and the host. The second night I was the only guest which was not a reason for Terje (the host) not to prepare a real 3-course dinner. I was really amazed he put so much effort in the dinner just for one single guest!
If you are looking for a livelier place you should go to Casa del Mundo (the other hotel in Jaibalito). You’ll meet more younger travellers and this place has a really splendid view over the lake. Also here dinner in family style is served but the quality of the food in Vulcano Lodge is superb!

Felt Like Home

by TripAdvisor Member bkwilly

Vulcano Lodge is a wonderful place to stay in at Lake Atitlan. Just a 20 minute ferry from Panajacehl, you arrive to a small village and a short walk to the lodge. Everything felt homey and authentic. The rooms were spotless and delightfully decorated with local textiles. The hammock/porch offered a view of the lake and volano and still lots of protection from the late afternoon breezes. The host/owner, Terje Maeland, made us feel like welcome guests to his home (not his hotel). The breakfasts were filling and delicious - the coffee was home-grown and brewed by Terje. The dinner was family-style and gave us an opportunity to visit with travelers from Spain and Switzerland. My husband and I have traveled extensively, and think of Volcano Lodge as one of our best stays and it is very economical too.
Enjoy!

A welcome getaway on the lake

by TripAdvisor Member wildcouple

We loved this hotel! We spent four nights there. The hotel is located in green and lush surroundings: bannana, orange, avocado trees all around. The rooms are nice and clean. Unlike in many other places we stayed, this hotel had reliably hot showers.
The hosts are kind and very helpful. We can write an entire paragraph about their restaurant, but let's just say the food was absolutely unbelievable!
So two thumbs up for this hotel!
Ian and Jurate

I loved it here!

by TripAdvisor Member VaMaEm

I tried to make reservations at La Casa del Mundo for two nights, but they were full the first night, so I went with Vulcano Lodge with plans to move for the second night. Vulcano Lodge was perfect for me, so I cancelled my reservation at CdM and stayed put. Beautiful setting/garden, immaculate rooms, great homemade dinners, very relaxing. Invited my Mom down to Guatemala the following week, and returned to this bit of paradise with her. We stayed in the upstairs suite. It was perfect, an incredible bargain. Decorated with local fabrics, wonderful attention to detail here. Very comfortable, and a gorgeous view of the lake and a volcano from the huge balcony. I can't imagine a better place to stay. Also, the service was impeccable. Would recommend this place to anyone, and I can't wait to return again. Enjoyed meeting the other guests at the family style dinners. I'm a graphic designer, and I enjoyed making these layouts of the photos I took at the Vulcano Lodge.

The host, the food, the rooms, the views = EXCELLENT!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Maravillosa

My family (10 of us, including three teenage nephews and one 2-year old niece) had an absolutely wonderful time at Vulcano Lodge. The grounds and gardens are amazing and beautifully kept, the rooms were spotless, the food was AMAZING, and I'm still dreaming about the coffee (grown and roasted by the hotel owners). I was thoroughly impressed by the host and the hotel employees who were extraordinarily attentive and informative. My family and I can't wait to return!!!

Relaxation at its Highest

by TripAdvisor Member SWoodens

My wife and I stayed at the Vulcano Lodge for our first two days in Guatemala, and it provided such a wonderful endorsement of the country that we cannot wait to return. The Lodge is on a beautiful setting up the mountainside from Lake Atitlan, which provides the backdrop, along with volcanos around the Lake, for fantastic sunrise and sunset views. The atmosphere could not be more relaxing and the accomodations were perfect for a lodge at the lake. Comfortable beds and rooms, wonderful views, and absolutely stupendous food making this a must-see for travelers to Lake Atitlan. On top of all this, the Mayan staff are friendly, warm and quite excellent and the proprietors and simply charming hosts. Don't miss it.

Full Service Relaxation

by TripAdvisor Member lactic

This was a pleasant, last minute surprise for us on our trip to Guatemala! We called the day before to check availability and luckily Terje, the host, had rooms available. The rooms were very nice with clean bathrooms and spacious throughout. I especially liked sitting on the front porch looking through the lush vegatation to the volcanoes across Lake Atitlan. Dinner was fantastic and Terje joined us for some interesting conversation. He also went above and beyond when I realized I had left my bank card in Antiqua! He offered me the use of his personal cellphone to call my bank and cancel the card! We stayed at another hotel on the lake in a nearby town but felt that the Vulcano Lodge provided a much more friendly, family feel.

Thanks Terje!!!

Wow on view, wow on comfort, double wow on food

by TripAdvisor Member scottinbacalar

You can only get there by boat or a vigorous hike, but it is definitely a vale la pena situation -- do it. Vulcano Lodge has beautiful gardens and grounds; stunning views of the lake, the volcanoes and the surround cliffs; wonderful birdlife and hiking and best of all superb food. I have a bum knee so can not take advantage of the great hikes, but it was easy walking the ten minutes to the lodge. Three nights and nine meals just were not enough... we will be going back.

Comments