Punta Tzanchaj, Santa Cruz La Laguna, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

Booking.com eDreams

• Tranquility in Tzununa

I would highly recommend this family-run hotel for those looking for a quiet, peaceful, and comfortable stay on the lake. The hotel is somewhat isolated. It is a good 40min. hike (quite hilly in parts) to the town of Tzununa, which is not nearly as built up as the more popular pueblos around the lake like San Pedro. It's not a problem getting a shuttle boat from the hotel's private dock to visit the other towns for the day, but the boats stop running around 6pm. Fortunately, the hotel's restaurant has a good variety of tasty food at reasonable prices. It's just a very quiet and peaceful setting, especially since when I visited there were few other guests. I can see the hotel working really well for a group gathering of some sort where you are your own entertainment.

Every room has a deck with fantastic views of the lake and surroundings. Part of the reason the views are so great is that the hotel is ensconced on the hillside. There are LOTS of stairs from the dock up to the accomodations, but the staff is available to help with your bags and such, and I think there is an option to arrange for a shuttle van of some sort. Just take your time working your way up the stair and you'll be rewarded. The actual rooms are large and modern, and I had plenty of hot water. The owners and the staff are very hospitable and helpful.

Unique Quality: Tranquility, views, nice pool, family-run

• brewjohnson's Profile Photo

One word - Magical

I'm going to make a bold statement - there cannot be a better place to stay at Lago Atitlan. I've never felt so good about a place from the moment I arrived to the moment I left. Seriously, within a few minutes of arriving at this incredible hotel, Giampiero and I almost simultaneously said "this place is magical". After being dropped off at the hotel's private boat dock, you hike up 350 or so meticulously placed steps to the hotel area. Even though we were dripping with sweat and G looked like he was about to go into cardiac arrest when we reached the hotel area (just kidding, buddy), we literally couldn't wipe the smiles off our faces. The beauty of the place, the incomparable views, the warmth of the staff (all residents of the adjacent village), the hospitality of the owner/hosts, literally, everything about Lomas de Tzunana is incredible. We were only there for 1 night, but we both agreed, we could have stayed for weeks and can't wait to make a return trip. A true gem of a place. If you're heading to Atitlan, I can't imagine a better place to stay. I'll add more later, but for the time being, check out Giampiero's write up on Lomas de Tzununa, found here: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/da2b/196d00/3/

He pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Oh yes, the food is great (made with all local ingredients). I had local fish from the lake. It was lovely. They also make a mean Campari and orange juice.

Unique Quality: Some of the best views in the world, incredibly gracious hosts, and lovely food (made with local ingredients)... a magical place!

Directions: The best way to get there is by boat from Panajachel. Private (more expensive) or the public boat will drop you at the private dock. Then, its 350 steep steps up to the hotel. Its a little strenuous, but it is well, well worth it!

Comments