Posada Los Encuentros

Callejon Chotzar 0-41, Bario Jucanya, Panajachel, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
Posada Los Encuentros
Booking.com eDreams HostelBookers.com

More about Lago de Atitlán

.. And still haven't seen everything.. And still haven't seen everything

getting pulled behind the tour boat is fungetting pulled behind the tour boat is fun

San Pedro La LagunaSan Pedro La Laguna

The Dock at Santiago AtitlánThe Dock at Santiago Atitlán

Storing luggage

by winevines

I want to visit San Marcos de la Laguna, but I will have some luggage with me. Can the small launchas handle this?
Or is there a safe place where one can store luggage in Pana?

Also, what is suggested about travelling by boat in the am or pm? I hear the winds can be bad- are there larger ferry type boats to go from Pana to San Marcos de la Laguna that would be more stable?

Thanks for any advice.

RE: Storing luggage

by RAZOR-REN

I HOPE YOU HAVEN'T GOT BIG LUGGAGE AS IT COULD BE TRICKY TO HAVE THEM ON THE BOATS UNLESS YOU GO ON A BIGGER BOAT (AND PAY MORE FOR IT).

I'M NOT SURE IF I REMEMBER RIGHTLY BUT I THINK IT'S DANGEROUS FOR BOATS TO GO ON THE LAKE AT PM.

RE: RE: Storing luggage

by winevines

Thanks for the tips- Can I please ask how much did you have to pay for the "private launcha" with your bags? ALso, was there help for you to carry your bags?

I am asking because my partner has been ill and has lost his stamina so he will not be able to help much carrying stuff around like he usually does.

RE: RE: Storing luggage

by winevines

Thanks to both of you for the tips.

I am looking forward to our trip- almost 2 weeks in the country, ending in San marcos de la laguna!

Travel Tips for Lago de Atitlán

Colorful dresses

by filipdebont

During our stay in Panajachel, at the border of Lake Atitlan, we did make a boat trip to some small villages on the other side of the lake.
Each village had a different dress code, the colors of the clothing were different each time. The colorful people we met.

Paddling in Cayucos on Lake Atitlán

by gdilieto

You will see local fishermen of Lake Atitlán "sailing" the lake paddling in their cayucos, the traditional wooden canoes you can see in the photos attached. Among the others, the village of Santiago Atitlán is known for the manufacture of cayucos.

I have noticed in Santiago Atitlán and San Pedro La Laguna few hotels providing cayucos free of charge for use by their guests.

Wash day on Lake Atitlan

by Suzie3

VT wants some cultural guidance here hmmmmm........I suppose I should be very happy to have a nice washing machine in my laundry room????

These people do work very hard and this was not the first nor the last line up on a river/lake side that we saw in several places.

Learn about weaving and Mayan Costumes

by caity130

Theres a fascinating and FREE Museum which looks at history & tradition of weaving and traditional Mayan Costumes run by co-op of Women Assocician Cojolya.

On your left as you come up the hill from the docks in Santiago Atitlan this is a real gem, explanations in English and Spanish tell about backstrap loom weaving, and the Mayan Costumes. Ask to see their video too!

Beautiful contemporary designed goods by women from the co-op for sale and some of the women can be seen weaving in the museum.

Santiago is fascinating because most of the women and 50percent of the men still wera traditional costume. Can be visited in a day from Panajachel.

Respect the local traditions

by darthmilmo

Locals are really proud of their heritage. Many locals, including the males obey traditional dress codes. Each town has a distinct pattern of colors in their clothings. It's nice to see the locals in action, but whenever possible ask before taking a picture.

Comments