Santa Catarina Palopo Panajachel, Solola Guatemal
Villa Santa Catarina
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 21% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Lago de Atitlán

...the holy church(?)...the holy church(?)

shrouded in mysteryshrouded in mystery

At the Church at Santa Catarina PalopóAt the Church at Santa Catarina Palopó

View of San Pedro La Laguna from the LakeView of San Pedro La Laguna from the Lake

Getting to Lago De Atitlan?

Hi,
Arriving in GT latter this wk. Any recommended travel companies or methods to get from Guatemala City aiport to Lago De Atitlan area?
Thx.

RE: Getting to Lago De Atitlan?

by bminorca

Are you going to Antigua Guatemala as well? It takes an hour by bus from Guatemal City to Antigua where almost every travel agency has a shuttle bus to Lago de Atitlan (Panajachel).

by dan382

Yes, but after we visit the Lake area. I was hoping to find good transportation direct from airport just to save hassel and time.

by bminorca

Panajachel is a small town which also has plenty of travel agencies. I am sure they can arrange transportation to the airport in Guatemala City. You can book it as soon as you arrive there.

I was worried about the transportation. But I realized that it wasn't a problem once I got there.

Good luck!

by dan382

I'm looking for transportation from GT city airport to Lake Atitlan. how much should I expect this bus or shuttle to cost me? Any recommendations of travel agencies that can get me this trip from airport would be appreciated.
thx.

by bminorca

I know that there are shuttle buses to Antigua at the airport. But I am not sure if there any shuttle buses to Panajachel. You could ask once you arrive at the airport. The worst case would be to go to Antigua and transfer from there.

There is a bus from Guatemala City to Panajachel. But it is in Zona 1.

Transportes Rebuli
21 Calle/4 Avenida Zona 1
Every hour between 5:30 - 15:30

The trip takes 3 hours and costs Q15.

RE: Getting to Lago De Atitlan?

by JJDelmonte

Hi there, The majority of the shuttle vans at the airport go to antigua $10 p/p but there are some that go to atitlan for $25 p/p. You buy your ticket at the booth inside the terminal. If not, then more than likely you'll find other travellers going there too and you could share a cab for just about the same $25. Otherwise you could take a cab to transportes Rebuli. Go to www.turansa.com or www.for additional information on shuttle van schedule. Good luck.

Travel Tips for Lago de Atitlán

A great place to stay

by filipdebont

As it was the first place we stopped during our Guatemala trip, we al wandered a bit what Guatemala would be. As for me, I did not really know lot about this country, so I was pretty curious to discover it.

And the first place we visited was already a shot in the bull’s eye. I had a splendid time during my stay here in Panajachel, near the Atitlan Lake.

In fact this lake is surrounded by three big Volcanoes: San Pedro Volcano, Toliman Volcano and the Atitlan Volcano.

On this picture you see the Toliman Volcano; you can’t see the Atitlan Volcano because it is located just behind the Toliman Volcano.

xk'ap

by filipdebont

The most remarkable headdress I did see during my trip through Guatemala was in Santiago Atitlan, a small village at the borders of the Atitlan Lake.

There still few women were an xk’ap. This is a band of red cloth (it must be about 10 meters long), wrapped around the head.

I must say that I did only see one lady with this headdress, our guide told us that it is going out of use, and you’ll probably only see it at fiestas and on market days worn by the older ladies.

And when we returned to the boat, I asked a local young girl where I could find a lady wearing such red band. And she told me, that she had one and she was willing to put it on for me, to make a picture for a few quetzals. Of course I said yes, it would be a pity to leave Santiago Atitlan without a picture of an xk’ap.

Traditional Dress

by easterntrekker

The people of the towns in the western highlands often can be seen wearing the traditional dress of their ancesters. The Cakchiquel people in San Antonio Palopo wear a bright blue patterned clothing . It is quite distinct.We saw the expert weavers creating this fabric at the local Co-op.

Locals

by acemj

One of the best things about visiting Lake Atitlán is seeing the local customs of the villagers. The Mayan cultures are very alive here and each village has a distinct feel. You'll notice differences in the traditional clothing in particular and local women will be more than happy to sell you a sampling of their hand-woven items, as is apparent in this picture I took in Santiago Atitlán.

However, you are also likely to find that some of the locals, particularly in Panajachel and in San Pedro, are not homegrown. There are plenty of hippies who have been living here for twenty or more years and they are often the best sources of information for the traveler (they're the ones you'll meet drinking at the bar!!).

don't swim naked.

by cachaseiro

the native indians in the region are quite conservative and religious and are not happy when people start stripping naked and swimming in the lake.
it has been quite common over the years and some tourists have been beaten up quite badly because of it, so please behave.

Comments