Sayaxché Hotels

• calcaf38 profile photo calcaf38
  • Reviews: 499

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Guayacan in Sayaxché: The Pits - Sort of

I had read (relatively) favorable comments here and there, including a writeup in the Lonely Planet guidebook. I should have rejected the room at first glance, but I am uneasy doing such things. Anyway, the room was tiny, dark, and - I discovered at night - quite buggy as well. No hot water, but plenty of noise although the hotel seemed empty. A very friendly teenage boy helped me when I checked in, but now I wonder if he was in cahoots with the boatman who was so insistant while I was having breakfast, and who probably overcharged me later. Anyway, no great loss, and it was a bit of an adventure.

The other "nice" hotel in Sayaxché, the Petexbatun, looked abandoned. And the Guayacan's own restaurant was not open either.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Archeology, Budget Travel
  • Written December 13, 2006
Tip Photo

Bed or nest?

• atufft profile photo atufft
  • Reviews: 3020

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Guayacan Hotel: Rio La Pasion View and a Parrot

Most of the buildings in Sayaxche appear pretty deteriorated, so the Guayacan Hotel seemed to be the best of the lot. Besides, we wanted a view of the river from the patio above that features two large parrots. The food served for lunch and breakfast was OK, but we went elsewhere for dinner. The room had a/c and a private bath. In this region, radio Sayaxche is the best entertainment.

This isn't a resort, just a decent place to stay the night. Unless one plans to stay for visits to several of the ruined Mayan cities, each of which will be a separate day trip, an overnight stay is all anyone would be want in Sayaxche. The trip upriver to Ceibal was well worth a day here. I would recommend not trying to get reservations here, but just show up and inspect your room. The complex of multiple floor and balconys makes this hotel too complex to describe adequately. It's a great location for watching the river traffic though, and the van pool station is just below the restaurant balcony.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average