Guatemala Hotels

Our Members Say

• Turnstiles profile photo Turnstiles
  • Reviews: 3

The Yellow House: Antigua gem hostel

A great cheap and friendly hostel in Antigua. Free internet and price includes a full and healthy breakfast. The owner and his wife are extremely friendly and helpful. The rooftop rooms are the best, and there are great views on the roof which is a lovely spot to sit in the sun and eat breakfast. They also offer tours (though not always the cheapest so check around) I liked this place so much I came back to it after spending some time at lake Atitlan.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written August 6, 2007
Tip Photo

Volcano Fuego belching - from the roof.

• HasTowelWillTravel profile photo HasTowelWillTravel
  • Reviews: 375

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa Argentina: Disappointing

Spent 3 nights in the Casa Argentina in Xela (Quetzaltenango). The dorm room was crammed with 20+ beds, with virtually no space between to stow backpacks or gear. The beds were remarkably old, you could fel the bars under the bed, and they had not been fumigated in a long time. And the supposed hot water showers was only in one of the 4 shower units in the building, and even then was sporadic in availability. It was a disappointing place to stay. Definitely inexpensive, and possibly a decent place to stay one night while waiting on bus connections, but for any length of stay I would try somewhere else.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Study Abroad, Backpacking
  • Written July 12, 2007

• latin_america_junkie profile photo latin_america_junkie
  • Reviews: 9

Hotel Aurora: Antigua Hotel

Very charming hotel at a very affordable price. Not even a 5 minute walk to the Parque Central... and beautiful peaceful grounds and fountain in the courtyard. Photos do not do it justice. You will fall in love with this hotel!

• Written June 28, 2007

courtyard of Aurora

• latin_america_junkie profile photo latin_america_junkie
  • Reviews: 9

Posada de Santiago: Santiago de Atitlan

Absolutely charming!! Lovely stone cottages within walking distance of Santiago. The swimming pool is set on the hillside looking out over the lake. Fabulous service we received.. very friendly. Internet.. which is definitely a bonus here!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written June 28, 2007

Casa Rosada: Livingstone, hotel at the riverside

In Livingstone we stayed in Casa Rosada ( Pink House) right on the river Rio Dulce. The boat from Puerto Barrios brought us straight to the pier of the hotel instead of to the main dock 500m further downstream.

The ambiance of the hotel with its lovely riverside garden and nice view at the river is great, especially at sunrise.

The thatched roofed small wooden bungalows are nicily decorated with handpainted furniture. The shared bathrooms also look very nice and are very clean. We had a delicious dinner with live Garifuna drumming music in the open air restaurant of the hotel.

Location at the river. Easygoing atmosphere. Delicious breakfast and dinner. Nicily furnished and decorated.

Tip Photo

Casa Rosada has its own pier at the river

Hotel Casa de la Fuentes: Antigua, hotel with a colonial atmosphere

Hotel Casa de Las Fuentes is an authentic colonial house in Spanish style. The hotel has an innercourt park where you can park your car and an inner garden with swimmingpool. The hotel has tow floors and 24 rooms.

The hotel is located in a quiet part of the city, though during our stay at Chrismas Eve we were waked up in the middle of the night by the noise of fireworks. From the balcony we had a nice view at the lights of the firework close by.

At first sight the area of the hotel looked quiet and safe, but we were surprised that the door of the innercourt was locked the whole day and night, every single minute.

Tip Photo

Rooms around the innercourt with parked cars.

Posada Kamol Bey: Panajachel, hotel in rural setting

Posada Kamol Bey is a motel style hotel. The hotel with two floors is located a few 100ms from the busy street along the lake with many restaurants. The hotel itself is quietly situated in a green setting surrounded by rural land. The rooms have private bathrooms and are all orientated at the garden and lawn. If you ask, a pickup will take your luggage from the lakeside to the hotel.

The combination of a quiet location, only a few minutes walk from the lakeside and the restaurants.

Posada Kamol Bey with garden and lawn

Hotel Kaqchiquel: Panajachel

The hotel has a single door entry on the main street and underground parking for only 5 or 6 cars. The management was very hospitible and let us use their computers for picking up email. I would recommend it for a short stay. A short walk to Lake Atitlan with beautiful views of the lake and surrounding volcanoes. The city lake shore is also home to a fleet of water craft which is the only way to some of the villages around the lake.

It had a nice small pool with striking murals. Breakfast was included in rate and was good except for the eggs overeasy being slightly overcooked. The lobby contained some metal works of art worth observing. .

• Written April 12, 2007

Hotel Kaqchiquel entry

Hotel villas del Lagos: One of Flores better hotels

We arrived late 10 pm, and checked in after getting the clerk up. The city of Flores is an island with some historical value, but it is a fairly run down city. If you must be in the Lake Peten area in the summer,

The room was clean with a balcony overlooking Lake Peten. I would recommend the Lagos since it has good airconditioning

• Related to: Photography, Study Abroad
  • Written April 11, 2007

Hotel villas del Lagos

Tikal Inn Hotel: One of the better Tikal hotels

We checked in to one of the bungalows in the Tikal Park. It was a nice clean room with fans, no air conditioning The power was scheduled, on at 7:00 and off at 8 am and on 6pm to 10pm, so we relied on the breeze after 10. July at Tikal is pretty warm but after 10 the air had cooled quite a bit and we were out in the park all day visiting the ruins.

It had a pool had a dip in the pool to cool off, but pool was warm and not too clean – visibility about 4 feet. But it was wet and the breeze felt good after we got out and laid on chaises at pool. It was within walking distance of the park entrance.

• Related to: National/State Park, Study Abroad, Photography
  • Written April 11, 2007

Bungalows at Tikal Inn

• hanspeter_W. profile photo hanspeter_W.
  • Reviews: 1274

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

hotel aurora: excellent posada in antigua

pleasant hotel in center of antigua...very beautiful patio and garden
good friendly service, nice breakfast, lovely big rooms

• Related to: Hiking and Walking
  • Written January 17, 2007

hotel aurora patio - antigua

Hotel Riva Bella: Panajachel, small bungalows at the mainstreet

The first time in Panajachel we stayed in the bungalows of Riva Bella. The bungalows are situated in a lovely garden at the mainstreet of the town. The bungalows have a shower with hot water, toilet and towels. In 1987 we payed only 5 $, now they are about 30$.

In 2006 during our second visit to Panajachel we checked the place and found out that the bungalows are still there.

We liked the central location in Panajachel, at walking distance from everything.

• Written November 30, 2006

1987

Jungle Lodge: An overnight stay in Tikal

We booked an excursion by plane from Guatemala City to Tikal, but decided not to return the same day, so we had more time to visit the archaeological site. We booked the Jungle Lodge, a picturesque hotel close to the entrance of the site. Originally it was built to house the archaeologists.

Some of the rooms were very basic, even unattractive. After complaints from our side -we payed for a better one- we could move to a nice bungalow. It was great to sit at the veranda of this double bungalow, to watch the lovely flowering plants and to listen to the birds and sounds of the jungle, but we got some mosquito bites too.

In 1987 there was only electricity from 6pm till 9.30pm, so we were happy we brought a torch ourselves. The bungalows have a fan and a private bathroom. Looking at the website the bungalows look upgraded nowadays. There is also a swimmingpool.

In 2006 we came by bus to Tikal and stayed in the same accomodation. This time we had the basic rooms with shared bathrooms. This tiem the rooms were OK.

Its location !!!

• Related to: National/State Park, Jungle and Rain Forest
  • Written November 30, 2006

Jungle Lodge 1987

• sadie_sq profile photo sadie_sq
  • Reviews: 4

El Retiro: Great natural getaway

El Retiro is a hotel / hostel (you can share bunk beds or get you own room) in Lanquin, Guatemala. The guests are young backpackers and once you are there you mingle often with them all. There is a restaurant on site and dinners, if you choose to join, are communal. The atmosphere is very relaxed and most of the time at the hotel you are hanging out in a hammock over looking the river or having a beer with your new friends. A river runs through the property where you can swim, or rent innertubes and float down. The staff also arranges trips to nearby caves and to Semuc Chempey, a must see in Guatemala!!

Great views of Guatemala's mountains. Each room is on stilts on a hill with an amazing view.

• Written August 24, 2006

• alza profile photo alza
  • Reviews: 359

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Palmeras: Chiquimula, close to Honduran border

I arrived in Chiquimula by long-distance bus from Guatemala City, at around 6 p.m. My intention was to stay overnight in Chiquimula and cross into Honduras the next day (going straight to Copan Ruinas, very close to the border between these two countries.)

It was difficult getting off the bus in Chiquimula, and then waiting for my luggage to be given to me by the bus attendants. Passengers were all rushed and pushed and pulled by taxi drivers (at least 20 of them) competing for our business. I didn't need a taxi, I wanted to walk the few minutes needed to reach my hotel and repeated this many times over, in Spanish. When it got to the point that one taxi driver was pulling my right arm and another pulling my left one, while a third grabbed one of my bags and walked to his taxi, I HAD to speak loudly! First I almost yelled to LET GO MY ARMS and NOT TO TOUCH ME, then I had to shout at the third guy to BRING MY BAG BACK, and finally I let the whole crowd know LOUDLY that I didn't want a taxi. They made obscene gestures and mumbled away. This was my first experience in 2 1/2 months of travel in Latin America where I felt aggressed and where I realised I could lose control of the situation if I stuck to my usual polite demeanour. I was shaken but no matter... I was very aware, and THAT is important.

I checked in at Hotel Palmeras, where the staff was most helpful. The first room offered did not appear safe to me, I was given a better one swiftly. It locked with a padlock from the inside. I checked the window, which looked out on the street, through glass slatted shutters. All I could see was the busy street below and it reassured me. For the first time in my trip, I emptied my daypack on the table by the window.

The next morning, I suddenly felt the lack of presence of my camera. I was looking around the padlocked room in disbelief when I saw the desk clerk walk by THE WINDOW from outside!! Then saw a group of young men, hotel guests, doing the same. I put my head through the glass shutters and discovered a walkway with low railing all along the hotel facade! I think someone walked there while I slept and plunged an arm inside to take my camera.

I reported this to hotel management but to no avail. They were all sorry and sympathetic but there was nothing to be done. Still, I got them to write down my email address and to give me their own complete address details in writing, so we could be in touch if the camera turned up. All this took a lot of time and delayed my departure to Copan Ruinas but it allowed me to feel in control of the situation instead of leaving impulsively for Copan.
For maximum safety, I took a registered taxi to the border (affordable) at midday. I didn't regret taking those precautions. The border crossing involved situations that I was totally unfamiliar with and some pressure from combi bus owners on the Honduran side to take THEIR bus to Copan. Nothing that made me feel unsafe but it WAS a bit of a job to remain calm, make my own choices and refuse to be rushed at any time.

Everything went well from there and I enjoyed Copan Ruinas so much that I spent three days there.

The staff at Hotel Palmeras are kind and helpful. 24-hour service (this merely means that there is a desk clerk present at all times, but it is reassuring.)

Be aware that there is a narrow walkway on the outside, running along the hotel facade, by the windows.

• Opinion of Price: N/A