Palma Real Beach Resort & Villas

Km. 20 Carretera Trujillo, (formerly Barcelo Palma Real Resort), La Ceiba, 9999, Honduras
Hotels.com Tingo.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Palma Real Beach Resort & Villas

Palma Real Beach Resort is Great

Myself, husband and teenage daughter went to LaCeiba, Honduras, Feb. 13 - 26/06 and had a great time. I have travelled to many areas in Central America and find that Honduras will be the next Costa Rica in a short period of time. If you have wanted to travel to Costa Rica but find it too expensive, try Honduras. The tours/trips they offer are more reasonably priced then in Costa Rica. What they say about the activities around the resort are true, there is no jet skis, wind boards, para sailing, etc. the activity people do try to keep you active if that is what you wish. The staff of the resort really try to make your stay enjoyable, and if you require anything ask for Benny, he speaks english and is the customer service rep for the resort. Fabio (A.K.A. Mr. Canada) is also great for knowledge, guideance and helping hands. The resort is best rated as a 3 at best, however if you want an enjoyable vacation, cheap tours and inexpensive (there is nothing to buy regarding suveniors), this is the place to go.

Palma real with kids

Hi

I am a from Quebec -french canadian-. So excuse my english. We went to Palma real with my daughters (8 and 4 years old). It was a nice place. We changed room 2 times. We were in a room on the second floor- clean but no balcone, so we ask to change to the first floor in front of the pool. It was nice but we can ear the disco at night and the cleaning ladies in the morning (around 6) they were talking too loud. So we ask the director of the hotel to switch to a villa. He was very kind, he let us a villa the next saturday afternoon...and we didn t pay more! If you are polite and calm, they will give you what you ask for.

The villa was great! For a family who wants tranquility, ear the birds and have a quiet pool, you can go for a villa. We had a kitchen, a living room, 2 big bedrooms and a washing machine and drying machine.

The Aqua jungle park was super! The kids loved it so much. Too bad that it is closed during the week..we had a great time!

You have a lot to do in Honduras. The tours were great but not that well planified. You re a bit by your self. For kids below 3 years old, I don t recommended it.

My kids and I were sick..from the food , I supposed. So don t forget to bring antibiotic and pedialyte with you and some stuff for the stomach acke (peptobismol). I think 2 weeks of vacation is better then 1 week when you are with kids..if you are sick , you dont mind to loose days in your room.

We were with West jet to return home in La Ceiba..dont forget to reserve your sit..because they dont planified that you are with kids..even if Daniel-the geo- ask them to keep 4 sits together for our family..they forgot..so my 4 years old daugter wasn t beside us during the flight..every body was sited in a different place..We asked some persons to change place with us..to be sited with our kids..

We travel a lot _Thailand-Cambodia-Mexico-Cuba-Panama-Nicaragua and that s the first time that they don t put one kid with a parent in an airplane.

So we liked our vacation. The sea was ok..a lot of waves..it is not like Cuba. Don t let the kids go alone in the sea. But the pools were good..a little cold but ok.

I will post pictures of our vacation.

Cathy-Quebec

Palma Real-Worthwhile vacation choice for people who like to travel

Palma Real is set in an absolutely stunning location between beach, rainforest and mountains. The rooms were clean, everything worked and housekeeping service was done early (and well) each morning. No problems with getting towels either in the room or at the pool.
Pool area-well maintained, gardens tidy and the beach was clean.
Food-Basic, but not hot and poor selection of desserts. There was an omelette station each morning, lots of fresh pineapple, cantalope, watermelon, papaya and bananas. Juices were from powder or concentrate. Soups were excellent...a good idea to always stick with the fish when eating at the resort or anywhere else. Coffee-"cafe leche grande" absolutely fabulous and what we missed most on the first morning back.

-Take bug spray-Off Skintastic worked well and remember to apply before going on in the evening and anytime the wind isn't blowing as thats when they get you! (tiny little no-see-ums that bite hard)

-Service-this isn't a slick country experienced with tourists so give them a break. So they don't speak English...perhaps we should speak better Spanish when visiting their country! Staff were friendly and with patience and smiles, you can communicate just fine.

-This is a casual, off the beaten track vacation. Great values on tours and they are all close to the resort so you don't waste a valuable day bouncing in a bus. Pricing was a pleasant surprize when the current tour rate in any country appears to be $100 US.
If you want to spend your vacation complaining about everything that isn't a 'cookie cutter' of the best vacation you remember(you probably complained at the time then too) then choose somewhere else and leave Honduras for people who will appreciate its beauty, its ecological attractions, its friendly people and not sweat the small stuff. This is a destination that is really going to take off in the next few years.

The best Tour Operator is Tourist Optons at La Ceiba

I was in january at the Palma Real beach resort,
the food was not perfect for two weeks was ok, i took many trips the people from tourist options gave me and friends the perfect service,still now the trip to cuero y salado and the copan trip are in our minds, it was fun,informative and beatiful, reasonably priced, Oscar is a pro and service is first and money is secondary, he and his wife are friendly and 14 years of experience, with 24 hrs support.
i recommend when you get to la ceiba or honduras call them. their website: ----

holiday from hell

we just returned from Palma Real Beach. Most people I talked to were sick, or had been sick, due to the unsanitary conditions. I don't blame the staff but the management who live under very poor conditions.
This is not a 4 star at all.
The food was horrible.
The toilets backed up.
The music never ending, and loud.
We paid for the nicest rooms and they were the loudest.
The tours were scary due to safety issues.
They spray for bugs, twice a day, without warning and your also in the spray. They spray at 6 am, and in the evening.
Watch out for the sand flies, they eat you alive.
I liked the people themselves, the locals.
They were candid and very friendly. It would help if you spoke some Spanish.
If you wanted help from the travel agent Nancy, good luck!!!!
I have travelled in several countries but have never felt as sick as I felt and still feel.
I'm going to my doctor to find out what is wrong with me.
If they ever get their act together this will be a nice place to visit, if you go with all your shots, in expect it to be a 2 star instead of the 4 star that is misleading.

An untouched paradise

by TripAdvisor Member saublebeach

My husband and I stayed at the Palma Real during the last week of January. We had read many of the review here on trip advisor. Most of them were negative. We travel at least twice a year and have been to some extremely nice places. Since our trip was already booked we went without expectations.
La Ceiba airport was very small and it did take a while to get to the resort.
When we got there we found out we were staying at the old part of the resort. The rooms were quite big and we had a view of the ocean, but it was quite a long walk to the main part of the hotel. That was ok because we all need some exercise after lazing around all day. There was a shuttle that moved from the two areas constanly from morning until night, if we didn't feel like walking we could just hop on it.
We found the room to be satisfactory. Our telephone did not work, but the reception was kind enough to give a knock on our door whenever we needed a wake up call. Our tv was very staticy and they tried to repair it several times but it wasn't great. The water in the room was hot which I was glad for.
I did attend the welcome meeting when I got to the resort and was told that they would spray for bugs at 7 every evening.
The food was suprisingly good. I preferred the buffet restaurant to the a la carte. The staff was pleasant and I found that if I tried to use a little spanish they really went out of their way to serve me.
Marvin and Kenny were two of our waiters.
The entertainment staff was great. Benny and Antonio were fabulous. We found out that the hotel has only bee all inclusive for 2 years and are trying to perfect things.
The beach was nice but it was very wavy the week I was there.
I did take a snorkelling trip to cayo cohinos and found it very interesting.
Antonio and another couple and us went to La Ceiba on the public bus system and walked all over the city. We were suprised at the safeness of the city. The local people are not as poor as other countries that I have been to. I found it nice that nobody was hasseling me to buy their junk. If you walk up the beach about 45 minutes you will find a little town called Samboa Creek.
The entertainement team did a good job although they only had about 7 people working. The shows were entertaining but no fabulous.
All in all I really relaxed during this holiday and found it to be an untouched paradise. Hello to J and N from N and A

Excellent vacation, wonderful people, amazing country.

by TripAdvisor Member imali

A word of caution: if you are looking for amenities that you would normally expect to find in Canada; stay in Canada. If you know what to expect, and understand where you are going, you should have a very enjoyable vacation. Honduras is an emerging third world country and there are bugs. That is all you need to know. Neither of these two facts should in any way negatively impact your vacation. As far as safety goes, use your common-sense and you will be fine. I felt safer in Honduras that I do when I visit Toronto.

This is an extremely economical vacation destination, but it is not likely to stay that way as more people discover the jewel that Honduras is.

Like most others who have reviewed the Palma Real, I would put it at a solid 3 star as opposed to a four star resort. There are two sections to the resort; the standard rooms which are about a 5 - 10 minute walk from the main complex, and the superior and deluxe rooms that are in the middle of everything. Since the difference in cost between the standard and the upgraded rooms is so small, I would seriously recommend stepping up. We were in a deluxe room with a balcony and found it to be quite pleasant. The room was clean, and the view very nice.

The staff, however, is what really makes this place special. Most speak at least a little English, and many are quite fluent. Every staff member we encountered, and I do mean every one, was more than willing to assist with whatever it was we wanted or needed. It is astounding what you can achieve if you just show people a little respect.

Resort and Grounds: The resort as a whole is starting to show signs of age and the impact of salt in the air and humidity. Repairs to areas that need it seem to be ongoing. In other words, the place is not falling apart and the owners seem to care maintaining the structure. The gardens are absolutely stunning, and the beach, although not of the traditional white sand and turquoise water, is very nice. You can safely walk quite a distance in either direction. The pools are exceptionally clean and well maintained.

Food: Although some had problems, I had no serious issues whatsoever. At least nothing beyond what would be expected when you radically change your diet. Breakfast featured an omelet bar along with bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs and French toast. There was always plenty of fresh fruit and juices. In terms of originality, there is certainly room for improvement with respect to the lunch and dinner menu, but not once did I have any concerns about the quality or safety of eating the food. There was generally always a red meat, chicken, fish and pasta dish along with a number of different salads. Again, there was plenty of fresh fruit and the desserts were excellent.

As an aside, have your doctor prescribe a three day course of Cipro. When the rumbling down below begins, you will find it a God - send.

Water: Bottled water was plentiful and the ice was made from purified water. Tap water was non-potable.

Off the resort: The tours offered were magnificent. An on-site tour operator made arrangements a breeze. Although they were a little more expensive than other off - site operators, (On average about $5.00 per person) the convenience and versatility was well worth the extra few dollars. Again, I found the staff at Turaser to be most accommodating, knowledgeable and friendly. The same can be said for those that actually ran the tours themselves. Not once did we ever find ourselves concerned for our safety. In, fact, I would suggest that we were coddled in many ways. One of the guys running the canopy tour must have seen my white knuckles and constantly checked to make sure I was all right. I found a concern for safe enjoyment of the adventures to be of paramount importance by all involved. I was astounded at the caring and careful attention to detail displayed but those looking after us. By example, the two of us took the island-hopper to Roatan and when our flight was and hour and a half late getting back to La Ceiba, there was our driver smiling and waiting for just the two of us.

We also took the Pico Bonito Cloud Forest, Canopy and Whitewater tours and found them all quite remarkable. If you have the opportunity, ask Hector the cab driver to take you on a tour of La Ceiba itself. It will be the best $20.00 dollars you spend.

Personal Notes: When we wanted to go out for my birthday dinner we asked at the front desk for a recommendation. Since all I had heard was Ricardo's, Ricardo's, Ricardo's; I was surprised when the resort manager, Santiago shook his head and told us we must go to Arrecife. Folks, this was one of the most wonderful dining experiences I have ever known. It was by far the best seafood I have ever had. Our meal, which certainly would have cost $200.00 in Canada, was $68.00 U.S. with wine, drinks and tip included. The resort looked after everything including arranging for Hector to deliver us and pick us up. The cab ride return was $36.00, but again, far less than what you would pay at home. It is a 30 - 40 minute ride each way and Hector will keep you entertained with his vast knowledge of his country.

I look at some of the reviews here and see nothing but negativity. You can see the people who it would be impossible to please. I was at Palma Real the same two weeks as the Detroit people and they are the sole reason their holiday was so miserable. Treat people with respect instead of being rude and ignorant, and you will be paid back in kind. Treat people like garbage and you won't find too many who want to help you.

Special thanks to: Nancy, Fabio, Marcellena, Alex, Santiago, Julio, Alejandro and Hector for making our holiday a very enjoyable one. There are many others whose names I do not know, but their efforts are not forgotten. We will be back.

Not a four star.

Don´t come for the food, dancing or activities. There is absolutely nothing to do on the resort. Dance Club is at max 20 people dancing. Rooms are okay. Hot water is limited. Tours are run by a local tour company ¨touraseur¨ and over priced. If you come to Honduras and need this area, fly to Roatan and stay there. Don´t waste your hard earned money and stay in this mediocre hotel...

We had lots of fun

by TripAdvisor Member BellyDoe

The four of us had a great time at this resort. I do agree it is not a 4 star resort, rather 3 star and I let Nancy (the Conquest Rep) know this. However, for the price, people should know it's not a 4 star...hey you get what you pay for. The resort is relatively small being around 161 rooms....so that tells you something too, if it's not full all week things can be quiet....sometimes you have to make your own fun...it's not hard really. Try speaking to someone first....you'd be amazed how they will always speak with you again. I found Nancy and all the front desk staff very helpful and friendly.

We stayed in two rooms located on the second floor above main reception desk...no complaints with rooms or plumbing. If we wanted more towels we just asked for them and they appeared shortly thereafter.

The beach was wonderful...there are little sand fleas (you'll see them crawling on the white longe chairs) just don't scratch and you'll be fine. Water is a little rough and not clear (so much rain????) but it is warm. You could walk the beach either direction for a very long way. Thank you to Fernando for cleaning up beach debris each morning.

Only one of us used the pool, she had no complaints and it always looked clean thanks to the life gaurd Marco's constant skimming leaf debris.

We all found the food in the main restaurant good (better than Cuba), not exceptional but good. The service was always excellent in the main restaurant....they even let me sneak a coffee before 7am! The snack bar had excellent chicken wings too. We didn't try the a la carte restaurant, spoke to different people and got mixed reviews on that.

They do have 3 bars, but as mentioned in previous reviews only one is open at a time. They could do with a lounge/piano type bar opening before dinner (which starts at 7pm) and going until maybe 10pm. Access should also undercover. It rained (unseasonably) about 40% of the time we were there so if you wanted a drink you had to walk through the rain to get it unless you stayed in the restaurant (stayed open until 10pm but only served wine and beer no mixed drinks). The bartenders were great especially Anthony, Tito(Louis) and Enrico. Thanks to the two latter for trying to converse with me (my minuscule spanish and their limited english) in the late evening hours (I'm a night owl but my travelling companions were not).

The Entertainment Committee was great, all were friendly and did try to involve as many people as possible in activities. It's a tough job because there is a fine line between trying to get people motivated and appearing too pushy or aggressive. Since the weather was often rainy they really had their work cut out for them. We did take the Spanish lessons (thank you for your patience Ramon) and actually learned quite a bit. Played bingo and took the dance lessons...all under cover while it drizzled rain. I really enjoyed the shows and went to all of them...these performers really need your audience participation and support...without it the show won't go on. The theatre is located at the Caribe site only a short walk or trolley ride away.

The disco...welllll it was ok...DJ Golden Boy was great! If you asked him to play your CD he would. The thing with a disco is the number of people on the dance floor, most nights it was quiet, but two nights I got to dance all night!! (it's very good exercise you know) I might suggest the music not be so loud at the beginning (opening) hours which would draw more people who could chit chat until they became more comfortable in their surroundings....once you have a crowd on your floor crank it up.

A very speacial thank you to Benni for the medicinal honey and saving my voice.

Overall it was a great trip, would I have gone if it was rated by Conquest as a 3 star---probably, would I go back....for that price (alot cheaper than DR or Mexico) yes.

Small Paradise Found

by Renesenecal

"Hotels"

Hi! I'm René.
I finally found a hotel to my standards, clean, quite, affordable, and perfectly located. But in case your tastes vary here are the other alternatives I know.
La Quinta- Ideal if your on buisness, cheap and easily accessible taxis for intown travel.just 10 min from the airport, in town, Some rooms are noisy with nearby trafic.
Partenon Beach- On the beach, the beach is nice but unfortunely because of boulders in the ocean ocean swimming is very unpleasent, its great advantage is that its located right in the zona viva, walking distance to all the night clubs, in terms rooms, small, and ladies of nightly company will annoy any single men, even in the hotel, some appreciate this local hospitality I don't.
Palma Real- Really beautiful, the look is sensational, and the ocean and beach is great. If your there to party 24hrs a day, then this is the place to be, but if you want to sleep at 10 and wake up at 7 then be prepared to be disappointed, loud music will be heard t'ill the wee hours of the morining, and the meals are served in accordance of the party people and at specific hours, I happen to be in the 10 to 7 category, but I remeber a time when I would have loved this. At this hotel everything is included but pricy.

Hotel Canadien-2km up the beach from Palma Real, same beautiful beach and ocean- MY PARADISE- CLEAN very pratical rooms but with no frills, No T.V., No phone, hence phone communications if you don't have a cellular can be problematique as phone calls have to made at the restaurante on the third floor. But the Rest Is Awsome- One of the few hotels equiped with a powerplant for those regular power failures, I can't describ how this detail is important,, you don't need to carry a room key, every person has his private entry code, 1km from a beautiful canopy tour, and geothermal pool in the jungle, 30min from cayos couchinos, everything is available when you want it, you organise your life, this hotel is Definitly not made to party, No loud music is tolerated, there is a Noise policy after 10pm, The hotel seems to recieve many missionary groups and doctors, they even recevied a mention from the mercy ship. They owners two elderly by dynamic french canadians are charming. The hotel is only 20 min from downtown, and taxis are 150 limps, but they don't always arrive quickly, :). By the way the phone lines to the hotel are awful and are often out of service:(. www.hotelcanadien.com

"Canopy Tour (hotel canadien)"

Just 1.5 km in the mountains in front ot the hotel is a beautiful canopy tour with a geothermal pool in the jungle, to relax. The canopy people because of the proximity of the hotel come to pick up the clients on horse back, to take them up the mountaim. amazing, A must do. If your afraid of heights stick with the hot pool, you'll love it.

"Cayos Cochinos"

Caoyos Cochinos about 12 little islands, and wildlife reserve, are but 30 min away by boat. It is a paradise for snorkling on coarl reef. I hope that future visitors will stop littering the islands. It is a beautiful 3/4 dya excursion. the boat picks us up right in front of the hotel on the beach. A must see.

Palma Real Beach Resort

by 0110cesare

We are planing a two week vacation to Palma Real Beach Resort La Ceiba Honduras. Can anyone give me some information on this resort.
Is it safe to venture out of the resort?
Is the resort well maintained?

Thanks for any help.

by sanscott

We stayed there several times when it was a Barcelo Resort and it was very nice.... There are several "nature" day trips to take but the resort is actually in the country side not in the town. Not sure what it is like now but the owner were pouring money into it building a water park and villas.

by cmeador

You will find several varying reviews at http://www.debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com/honduras/barcelo.html

My understanding is that the property was better run and managed before the Barcelo folks were uncerimoniously ousted by the Honduran owners of the property but I have not stayed there personally.

Have fun!

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

by ricardo77

We were there last Feb. 2005. It was just fine. We left several times on our own (to La Ceiba, Copan, etc.). We liked it.

Richard & Ruth Mills

by sanscott

For tours try www.hondurastourist options.com.

They are locals and have been in business for several years... you will need a guide to do any of the "nature" things like rafting, mangrove tours, etc.... all are great...my personal favorite is swimming in the rivers under the waterfalls, especially at Pico Bonito...

Plenty of things to do... you might want to spend a couple days in the Bay Islands.

Have fun...

by GringaLoca

I stayed there in August 2005 and it was horrible. We had to change our room four times because of things not working, the food was awful and the maids actually came into the room one morning and stole my US Dollars while my son was IN THE BEDROOM. The management was also not very cooperative. I live in Guatemala so I am use to things not going well but this place was not even up to Guatemalan standards.

RE: RE: Palma Real Beach Resort

by GringaLoca

Go to www.tripadvisor.com to read some of the opinions listed in that forum.

Palma Real

by GringaLoca

We're going to the Palma Real mid August. Arriving by bus from Guatemala City. What is the cheapest and a fairly easy way to get to the resort? Any recommendations for tours and operators that are reasonable.

RE: Palma Real

by cmeador

Loca -

You do not indicate in your post which line you are coming in on from Guatemala city. Hedman Alas is the best in country bus line (you will find them at http://www.hedmanalas.com/index.htm).

From anywhere in La Ceiba you can taxi to Jutiapa where Palma Real is located.

Your primary excursion operators, from least expensive to most expensive are in La Ceiba which is a hike (20 km. per Palma Real, more like 25 in fact) from Palma Real, are Garifuna Tours (http://www.garifunatours.com/), Jungle River (http://www.jungleriverlodge.com/), Omega Tours (http://www.omegatours.hn) and La Moskitia Eco-Adventures (http://www.honduras.com/moskitia/).

Have fun!

Charlie Meador, La Ceiba, Honduras

Honduras:Palma Real
Posted: Mon July 25 00:55:40 2005 UTC

La Ceiba, Honduras and area

by patlaf

We are a party of six going to Honduras the middle of February, staying at the new Barcelo Palma Real Beach Resort on Playa Roma.
Any info on the resort, beaches in the area, things we should not miss would be appreciated. We have been to Belize...how does Honduras mainland compare in regards to natural beauty?
Thanks,
Pat

by darthmilmo

I'd suggest you head to the Bay Islands... either Utila or Roatan... they're far more beautiful then the mainland. Have fun, Fernando

by kiwigal_1

Hi, Take a look at my Honduras page and travelogues for more ideas. I haven't been to Belize so I can't compare but I lived in Honduras for over a year and am still in touch with many people there so let me know if I can help in any way.

Rhianon

by dawnpaz2000

The Resort your going to stay at is outside of La Ceiba, beautiful, and expensive. It´s located on a beautiful beach quite close to the Hog Islands which someone from the area could bring you to for a fee and tour. You need to ask around. Utila is less crowded, cheaper, and more popular than Roatan. You can fly to the islands or take a ferry from La Ceiba for much less money. The Pico Bonito Park is up in the mountains near La Cieba. I´d check it out for it´s natural beauty, English tour guides, and absolutely stunning resort. The weather should clear up by February, but do expect some rain. See the Garifuna Village near La Ceiba. Wonderful music and food!! You can go to Expatriated Bar and Grill in La Cieba. Popular with the tourists. Great food, Canadian owned, drinks all in a grass hut setting. I´ve lived in Honduras for 5 years now. Lots to see depending on the amount of time and money you have. Enjoy your trip!!

by ZIVELA

GREAT CHOICE!!! NOT ONLY IN THIS HOTEL BRAND NEW ,IT HAPPENS TO BE LOCATED ON THE MOST BEAUTIFUL COAST OF HONDURAS. MUST VISIT TRUJILLO AND TRIUNFO DE LA CRUZ BOTH LOCATIONS HAVE CRISTAL CLEAR, BLUE-GREEN BEACHES AND THE MOST FRIENDLY PEOPLE AROUND.
SUNSETS HERE ARE BREATHTAKING, AND MOONLIT WALKS ROMANTIC AS CAN BE.
FOR ATHLETES THERE IS ALSO "PICO BONITO" NATIONAL PARK WHICH IS REALLY FUN TO HIKE AND EVEN CAMP.
HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR STAY!!!!
:) :)