Hotel Presidente

Across from Central Park, Tela, Honduras

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Tela

This one is worth clicking onThis one is worth clicking on

Old bridge seen from the new bridgeOld bridge seen from the new bridge

Sopa de CaracolSopa de Caracol

Beach from rooftop barBeach from rooftop bar

Travel Tips for Tela

THE GARIFUNA PEOPLE

by kiwigal_1

In Honduras the people are mainly mestizo which is a mixture of indiginous indian and spanish. However, in the northern part of the country (where I was living) there was a large population of garifuna (see the picture). These people were brought to Honduras to work on the banana plantations. Many of the garifuna people living on the Bay Islands speak English in preference to Spanish. The main garifuna settlements in Tela are located at La Ensenada beach and Miami beach.

The garifuna woman in Tela sell pan de coco on the beaches. If you go, you must try some!!

The music of the garifuna is the punta . It is a dance to the beat of a drum. I got quite proficient at doing the punta and let me tell you, it is GREAT exercise!!

FOLK DANCING

by kiwigal_1

When I was in Tela I attended the Triunfo de la Cruz High School. A school friend was a member of the local folk dancing group. Here is a picture of her, myself (in school uniform) and my friends. Folk dancing wasn't something I saw very often during my time in Tela but was interesting nonetheless.

FUTBOLITO

by kiwigal_1

This is me with my then boyfriend, Abner, on the same hill. We were walking to the beach to play futbolito .

Futbolito is one of the most common sports played in Honduras. There are many grounds for futbolito in the barrios where most people live. There is a concrete one in the center of town and the colegios have their own futbolito "gym's".
It is unusual for women to play futbolito but being an avid soccer player in New Zealand I made sure that I was allowed to play with the guys.

Tela Banana Train

by Zarzamora

The train that leaves from Tela to San Pedro Sula or Puerto Cores is a highlight in Honduras. It leaves from Tela at about 2 every Friday and Sunday, and from Puerto Cortes and San Pedro Sula at about 6 or 7 in the morning every Friday and Sunday.

LANCETILLA - BOTANICAL GARDENS

by kiwigal_1

Lancetilla is located on the outskirts of Tela. It is one of the largest botanical gardens in the world. There is a small charge for entry into the gardens and you should go there by car or bike. There are fruit trees and a river that runs through it. The locals come here mostly to swim in the river.

Comments