Tela Hotels

Our Members Say

• ricardo777 profile photo ricardo777
  • Reviews: 1

Grissy's Hotel: Beach Hotel in Tela

My wife and I have stayed in Tela several times. On our last visit we discovered a new hotel a couple of kilometers west of town. It is called Grissy’s (http://www.grissys.com/). A taxi ride to town was $2.00 or it could be nice walk along the beach. The hotel and its staff are very impressive. It is located fifty feet from the beach and has its own pool. Rooms are large and some have a small kitchenette as part of your accommodation. Satellite TV offers some English language stations. The restaurant overlooks the pool and meals can be ordered a la carte. We chose to go the all-inclusive route. There is weekend entertainment as well.

The best part of Grissy’s is your treatment by the wonderful staff. They are very helpful with the ‘tourist’ questions and try to make your stay as pleasant as possible. The owner and some staff speak English but communication was never a problem with the Spanish speaking staff. Grissy’s will be our only hotel stop in Tela from now on.

Richard & Ruth Mills
Ontario, Canada

• Related to: Beaches, Family Travel
  • Written May 1, 2008

Hotel Grissy's entrance

• ricardo7777 profile photo ricardo7777
  • Reviews: 1

Grissy's Hotel, Tela: on the beach in Tela

In Feb. 2008 my we spent two weeks at Grissy's Hotel (http://www.grissys.com/). It is a $2.00 taxi ride from the center of Tela. Hotel is only two years old. They claim to specialize in customer service. They are very attentive to their guests and staff are very friendly. Some speak excellent English if that is important. Rooms are very spacious (some have their own kitchen). There is A/C and satellite TV with several English channels. Everything is spotlessly cleaned every day. There is a pool and your are 30 feet from the beach. There is a restaurant beside the pool (we went the all-inclusve route) where you can order your meals and drinks. Prices are reasonable and they take credit cards. Airport pick-up is available. We have often travelled to Tela in the past (before this hotel was open). It will be are only stop from now on.

Richard & Ruth Mills
Canada

-a relaxing environment with great staff.

• Related to: Family Travel, Eco-Tourism, Seniors
  • Written April 16, 2008

balcony view of the Caribbean

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mango Bed and Breakfast: Mango Bed and Breakfast

Bingo! Finally we found a decent guesthouse that was actually opened. The price was not bad, 18 dollars per night for a decent, clean room with a private toilet and a private shower. And the second night we even got a discount to 15 dollars. The location of the guesthouse was very good too: only one block away from the Parque Central. And besides the room itself it was a very nice place to stay too. At the first floor, where the rooms are, there is a nice balcony where you can sit down, and have a drink overlooking the streets and downstairs there is the counter where you can ask the friendly personnel about everything.

The old Garifuna-man that is at the desk most of the times is a very friendly guy. He hardly has any teeth in his mouth, but he speaks both Spanish and English fluently and is always willing to help you. He also works for Garifuna Tours, the local touragency, and he knows everything that can be done in the region. He can also help you out when you want to know anything about the local transportation, but when you are looking for help about further destinations don't expect too much: he didn't even know that Managua was the capital of the neighbouring country Nicaragua.

Oh, and another thing: don't be mislead by the name "Bed and breakfast". This guesthouse only offers the first part. For a breakfast you really have to look somewhere else.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip, Backpacking

Our perfectly organised room in Mango B&B

Hotel Tela: Hotel Tela

The third option was slightly more expensive according to the LP, but also had a good location in the centre of Tela. Again we were not lucky. This hotel (difficult to find, because it is above a shop) was closed again. It was only opened during highseason, and because we came there just a few weeks after the third option was not successfull either. Up to the next...

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Road Trip

Hotel La Playa: Hotel La Playa

The next option I had in mind was just across the street at another great location: directly at the beach. But, too bad: this guesthouse, that also was mentioned in the Lonely Planet, was closed when we got there, and an helpful man who saw us looking for the entrance told us that this guesthouse had been closed down since the beginning of 2007 already. Again we had to start looking for another option...

• Related to: Road Trip, Backpacking, Budget Travel

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Marazul: Hotel Marazul

This guesthouse has a great location in the city of Tela: very close to the beach and close to the Parque Central as well. And because the backpackers-bible Lonely Planet advised it as the cheapest option in Tela, this was the first place I checked out after arriving in Tela.

The price indeed was not bad. 10 dollars for a night is a good price. The location indeed was good. But: the room we were offered was more suitable to put pigs in then to sleep in. A dark, filthy shed of which the bed was dirty, the curtains had not been washed for the last 25 years and the private toilet and shower were not very inviting either. Despite the price and the location this was a definite "no-no". Next one...

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Road Trip
  • Written January 2, 2008

• metteks profile photo metteks
  • Reviews: 207

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Boarding House Sara: Very basic hostel

I stayed here one night on my way to The Bay islands from Copan.

The rooms are very cheap (55 lempira), but also very basic and very cold at night. I only chose it because I just needed a cheap place to sleep before continuing my journey. The hostel is located near the water, and in from of the hostel you will find some basic and run down houses houses (see my intro).

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written December 3, 2005

• staindesign profile photo staindesign
  • Reviews: 241

The flores home: Where I stayed

I stayed with a family of friends of mine. I just wanted to put this picture in because this is really life and this is the kind of house that people live in. It isn't terrible, but it still should remind us that can afford to travel how lucky we are. While i was here i took a shower out of a bucket and washed my clothes by hand in a sink rubbing them against a ribbed surface to grind the dirt out. If anyone has the opportunity to stay in a place like this, i recommend it. It was one of the best vacations i have ever had.

• Written September 21, 2005

• kiwigal_1 profile photo kiwigal_1
  • Reviews: 1092

HOST FAMILY

Tela was my home for a year. I came here on the AFS Programme as a student and studied in the local high school. I lived in a Honduran homestay and lived as a Honduran would during this year. It was one of the most fantastic, character building experiences I have ever had. Anyone considering living and working abroad or even considering student exchanges abroad for their children should go for it!

The house in the middle is the one I stayed in in 1994. The window on the left hand side was my bedroom. I had a beautiful view of the beach and the sunset in the evenings. This house belongs to Dona Emma de Verdial my host mother

Nunca voy a olvidar a mi "mama" Dona Emma de Verdial. Este casa en la foto es suya. Es una mujer extraordinaria y la quiero con todo mi corazon!

• Related to: Study Abroad