Carretera Pavimentada PPal, French Harbour & Brick Bay, , 33126, Honduras
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Barefoot Cay

Absolutely first class

by TripAdvisor Member gharris

Me wife and I recently stayed with our 3 boys ages 11,12 and 13. After 2 weeks in Belize we were shocked and surprised to find that the accomadation at Barefoot Cay was 1st clas. Better than anything we encountered in Belize.The bungalows were quaint,private and,tastefully decorated . They provided all the comforts and ammenities of home including wireless internet.
Can't say enough about the kindness and care provided by owners John And Melisse. They truly wish to make your stay a pleasurable one. The staff was excellent. Manager Santos will help with any request. The food was awesome, and the one time we did venture out-we went to the Argentinian Grill in the West End- we wished we would have stayed at Barefoot Cay!
Subway diving is right there and we took the opportunity to get the 3 boys certified. Gillian was an excellent instructor and the boys were thrilled to get their diving certificates after the 4 day course.
Out only regret is that we didn't stay longer. We will definelty be back and have recommended Barefoot Cay to all our friends .I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place and that is why I have taken the time to post this message

Peace and Beauty

by TripAdvisor Member Adeling

Peace and Beauty
My family and I stayed at the Barefoot Cay dring Christmas vacation and it was everything and more that I could have hoped for. The beauty of the cay with its sunrises is breathtaking.
The bungalow where we stayed was amazing, it was clean, and the kitchen was outfitted with everything a gourmet cook could possibly want in a kitchen.
The atmosphere was also impressive. If one wants privacy and be left alone, that is fine. However, if you want to sit and chat with Melisse, John, Santos or Haydee to find out about the island, they are more than accommodating to do so.
I certainly plan to return to beautiful Barefoot Cay.

Fantastic experience at Barefoot Cay

by TripAdvisor Member Frazers

We were at Barefoot Cay during the first week in January and had a quite amazing time. The standard of accommodation is just breathtakingly perfect - and the service offered by John, Melisse and Haydee could not be faulted. We had just arrived from a tour on the mainland and the last place we stayed in, despite having a great reputation, had not been good on the food front & I'd got ill there. So it was such a relief to get to Haydee's first-class kitchen and beautifully prepared food which got me better in 24 hours. The staff here really can't do enough for you - so my only worry is, if they extend the property to include more cabins which they're still contemplating, whether then they'd be able to offer this same high standard to everybody. Small really works well here - don't spoil a good thing is my advice. And the only tip I'd give is book early to secure a one bed cabin all to yourselves - we had a one bedroom part of a two bedroom cabin which could get noisy if you have loud neighbours. Otherwise it's sheer bliss & we'd go back there tomorrow!

Best Hotel on Roatan

by TripAdvisor Member CRBride

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon in Honduras. We spent 1 week at Barefoot Cay and loved it. The owners, John and Milesse make you feel like part of their family from the very beginning. When you arrive Milesse will take you on a personal tour of the Cay. After a horrible experience at another resort on Roatan we were relieved to find Barefoot Cay exceeded our expectations for a relaxing and romantic setting for the rest of our honeymoon. The presentation is perfect, every detail has been thought out and perfectly executed.

The staff is great. They always knew where we were and came and cleaned our room when we were not around. Santos, the manager is attentive to every detail of your stay and makes sure you have everything you need. Milesse or John will help you arrange tours or take you to the grocery store personally. The Cay offers great massages on site and provides free kayaks and snorkel gear. The Cay also has a great DVD library which came in handy when it rained one day.

The hotel itself is great. It has a nice heated pool with a view of the ocean and great chaise lounges with comfy cushions. The hotel has a backup generator which comes on automatically when the power goes out, which is every day on Roatan. Trust me, you will be happy they have it! There are Toucans and talking parrots and a friendly dog named Havana who will keep you company by the pool or in the office, when you check your email.

The rooms are amazing. We stayed in a one bedroom bungalow. The beds are very comfortable with tons of fluffy pillows. The indoor/outdoor shower was amazing. The bungalows have kitchens stocked with gourmet appliances and cookware and there was a lovely welcome basket with fresh fruit and champagne waiting for us. You have AC and cable TV, which comes in handy when your husband is NFL obsessed. The water on the Cay is filtered and purified, which is also great. We got sick at another previous resort before staying at the Cay and had to take antibiotics.

Juana makes amazing meals, which you can eat at the open air restaurant by the pool or they will bring it to your cabin. The food is presented beautifully. I felt like I was eating at a gourmet restaurant in NYC.

Right outside your bungelow is a white sand beach and turquoise waters. From the Palapa you can swim or snorkel or just relax in one of the hammocks. The snorkeling by the Cay is Okay, but I recommend taking some trips to different areas so you can see more reef. The Cay is very conveniently located, close to the airport, French Harbor and not far from West Bay, West End or Sandy Bay. We swam with the Dolphins and played with Monkeys at nearby resorts and parks.

The sand fleas are a problem, but take some antihistamines and buy the cactus juice they sell and you will be fine. Bring other inspect repellent for the other bugs that come out in the evening though.

The best thing about this hotel is that the owners want you to have a great time. They will ask you constantly if you have any complaints or if there is anything else you need. You will feel totally pampered and cared for.

We drove around the island and got to see many of the other resorts and can honestly say nothing compared to Barefoot Cay. Of the 4 hotels we stayed at in Honduras, it was by far the nicest and it ranks amongst some of our favorite hotels of all time.

Sublime!

by TripAdvisor Member CaseyWisec

I am only reluctantly writing this review, because I want it to stay a secret! But my husband's and my stay on Barefoot Cay in Roatan was absolutely perfect. Set on a private Cay (island) 20 feet from the mainland, it is absolutely perfect. The quality of the rooms, food and staff is amazing. Run by a 'retired' couple from Seattle who live on the premises, it doesn't get better than this. Heavenly Beds (good beds are SO hard to find in this part of the world), awesome pillows, 'outdoor' Balinese showers (don't worry, they're private!), All-Clad pots, blender, toaster oven, coffee grinder/maker, fridge, microwave - the works in the kitchens, satellite TV with free movie DVD check-out - the rooms want nothing, and you can feel the quality.

They rake the sand and spray environmental chrysanthemum spray every day for the bugs (inevitable on the islands), the rooms are fully screened with wooden slat shades, A/C in the rooms as well, overhead fans. I could go on and on. They even have a 100,000 gallon fresh water tank (collected underground from rainwater and purified) for all water on the Cay. The pool is great, and even heated for the cooler nights. And the food (when you don't feel like cooking for yourself) is superbly prepared - breakfast through dinner. There is also a great dock walking out to the palapa where you can relax in the middle of the water in hammocks, borrow their snorkel equipment or even use their kayaks for free.

One of the best things about this place is that you're not nickel and dimed.....there is a set fee - quite reasonable! - for all meals IF you want them (and you don't have to decide much ahead of time), and you don't pay then, you don't tip, you don't pay for your massages (WORTH IT - the masseuse has amazing hands) - anything until the end, which is a nice touch. They just keep track of everything - no check to even sign after each meal or drink ordered. A relief from the big mega hotels and resorts, that's for sure. Barefoot just has really nice touches everywhere - from being picked up at the airport to being taken to the grocery store for free to stock up on whatever goodies you might want to stash in your kitchen or room. Milesse and John (the owners) even let you borrow their internet connection/computer to check email and such, though if you bring your own laptop, all rooms have free WiFi. Simply amazing! And you can tell the staff is well treated - or else they wouldn't be so happy all the time and willing to be so accommodating. The manager - Santos - is there whenever you need him and whenever you can't find John or Milesse. AND, want to rent his truck ($45/day) to tool around the island - no problem. Very convenient (especially considering all you will probably want to do otherwise is stay on premises and go scuba diving).

We will be back (if there is room for us!)! - Casey and Richard A.

Great private setting

by TripAdvisor Member NYCLocal

We stayed at the Barefoot Cay in the Limon bungalow, 1 bedroom with the adjacent living area with kitchen. It had a patio too, with doors that open completely onto the ocean. It's right on the beach and absolutely beautiful. The owners and staff are very attentive and welcoming. It's in island unto itself, on the south side of Roatan and really private and quiet, except for the sound of wind at night. There are only a few rooms on the Cay, so it's very private. The food is also very good if you choose the meal service option. We alternated between that and using our kitchen. We rented a car for the week and explored Roatan, other areas and beaches, which I recommend doing. All in all, it was a great place, clean and inviting. There's a great palapa we snorkled off of with reef to explore and kayaks available as well. I totally recommend staying here. Just make sure you bring insect repellent beacuse there are lots of sand flies, but that's pretty much all over Roatan.

Private, top quality, and personal.

by TripAdvisor Member Takleberry

We spent our honeymoon at Barefoot Cay and had a fantastic time. I am 32 and she is 29. After being picked up at the airport, they drove us to the water and a quick (very quick) boat ride later, we were on the small private island. There are only 4 bungalows for guests, one of which was ours, so the entire scene was very private. We rented the two-bedroom version and the living room had french doors that opened up to a huge stone patio about 20 feet from the ocean. FANTASTIC view.

When we checked into our bungalow, the staff had a chilled bottle of champagne and flowers everywhere; they even arranged flower petals in the shape of hearts around the bed. Such a nice, thoughtful touch. With two sunken ships right off the coast within snorkeling distance, kayaks available to paddle down to French Harbor, and a dive shop about 100 feet from the other shore, we spent half our time diving through coral, fishes, and shipwrecks. Rented scooters one day and jetted around Roatan. We saw a dozen other hotels/resorts and each time, we were happier about our choice. Barefoot Cay was the most modern, clean, upkept, and certainly the most private of any that we saw there.

Meals were excellent and, by US prices, reasonable. Staff was extremely helpful. The island is easy to get around and we felt safe. I can't say much about the price (wife took care of that) but the accomodations were first rate, the staff very helpful, food terrific...it was an awesome honeymoon.

The only negative were the sand fleas that bit incessantly, but that was all over Roatan, not just this hotel. And, the hotel staff spray twice daily and work hard to keep the sand fleas to a minimum. Small price to pay to have a piece of private paradise!

Heaven on Earth

by TripAdvisor Member WVDR

We returned last week to the freezing cold of the Northeast after a heavenly vacation at Barefoot Cay. John and Milesse have themselves a wonderful island paradise and are bound and determined to make sure that no one ever wants to leave it!! We sure didn't. The bungalows are wonderful, the perfect size with comfortable beds and a terrific Balinese shower. They are positioned to take advantage of the trade winds, we realized at the end of the week that we never even turned on the air conditioner. Santos and Haydee treated us like family (actually better than our family treats us!!) Juana and the kitchen staff are amazing cooks, the best meals we had on the island were right in our own backyard. The kitchens in the bungalows were well stocked, we ate most breakfasts and lunches in the bungalows to accommodate our diving schedule. The pool is great, the palapa was heaven, and there was plenty of gear for snorkeling, kayaking ,or just sitting around reading, all for free. If you're a diver, Subway Watersports is right across the channel, their staff was great and very accommodating. Gillian arranged everything for us that we asked, so unlike so many vacations we have taken. We never for a second felt unsafe, there are guards at night to bring you across the channel no matter what time it is, and Havana the island dog, who was just delightful, kept a close eye on things. The sand flies can be vicious (all over Roatan, not just on the Cay) so cover up with Cactus Juice. There is an ample supply available in the office so don't worry about trying to find it in the States. Santos arranged everything for us around the island--the zip line, Gumbalimba park--all of it was great and he was so awesome. Every time I need a break from reality I look back at the pictures from Barefoot Cay and dream of returning.

Barefoot Cay to The Island of Roatan

by TripAdvisor Member dwayneb40

My wife Laura and I spent a week on Barefoot Cay and had a wonderful time. John and Mileese Kennedy are a superb host and hostess joined by a outstanding staff who see to your every need. The daily rounds from the staff to keep the rooms and the Cay in order are to be commended.
The Cay is very private and you feel like the 4 acre plot is your own, although there are three other bungalows on the Cay.
The evenings are quiet and most relaxing, whether you choose to lounge at your well built bungalow, with all top of the line amenities, Milesse did not skimp in this area, or chill out on the palapa over looking the reef, take a stroll along the sandy beach shore searching for ocean life, or enjoying cocktails at the open air restaurant and swimming pool that is the heart of Barefoot Cay.
Juana the CHEF of the Cay is by far the BOMB when it comes to preparing meals any way you request. I can testify to this because I asked Juana for every spicy combination she could prepare and she exceeded my expectations at every meal from breakfast to dinner.
My wife and I ate at various resorts and diners on the island of Roatan and there is no comparison to the quality and taste of Juana's delights.
A must for lunch away from the Cay is the Hole in Wall where on Friday's (during season) and Sunday's the owner Bob prepares a Bar-B-Que that rivals any in the USA. You have to get Hale from the Cay to transport you on the fishing boat to the Hole in the Wall so you can see the island of Roatan from off shore.
We rented a vehicle from Santos the general manager of the Cay and explored the island each day and found an abundance of activities from climbing to the top of a rain forest at the Carambola Gardens(do not know if I spelled the name correctly), to swimming on the private beaches at the east end of the island, or sunning in the west bay area which is like any resort town in the world. The great thing about renting a vehicle is the main road runs from one end of the island the the other without one stop light or stop sign! If you decide to venture off the main road expect a challenge navigating these roads for they are usually dirt with large ruts and pot holes.
The actual island of Roatan is beautiful with the lush vegetation, pristine waters, and beautiful beaches. Unfortunately, the local population needs to be better educated. The amount of litter in the towns is disgraceful and the sheer number of stray dogs is disturbing. Hopefully, these issues will be addressed in the near future through conservation efforts already under way.
The island has a sand fly problem so be prepared to use insect repellent if you want to enjoy your stay. We found that deep woods off works the best.
The flight from Houston Texas directly into Roatan is a mere 3 hrs. and one of the easiest island to get to by far. My wife and I have traveled to several destination in the world and this island did not eat up a days travel to get to.
The Barefoot Cay is the Place to be.

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member bobryan

First off the facilities are top notch, but then of course you are paying top dollar. But before you book you should be aware that the facility is located adjacent to a working port facility which means (or meant in our case) that there is a constaint background noise and the port itself, while some may consider it part of the ambience, is no paradise to gaze upon. Other "environmental drawbacks" are the debris in the form of floating garbage that lines the shores of the surrounding area. This is very distracting as it piles up several feet in some places. Again this distracts from the overall experience. Add to this the smell of waste water from the surrounding populated areas ...you need to be aware of this if these types of "distractions" affect you. If not then by all means definately consider this resort.

During our stay the resort was building a sea retaining wall and the first morning we awoke at 7am to the sound of a cement mixing machine turning away...not exactly restful so again be sure to ASK what type of construction is underway. Another unpleasant noise maker is the "leaf blower" type noise of the sprayer that is used to disburse the agent used to keep the sandflies away. While sitting by the pool in the course of 45 minutes they walked by no less than 4 times with the sprayer...we could have been in any suburb of america on a saturday afternoon, not on a "secluded island".

I strongly encourage you to check out renting a home further to the east end of the island (quieter and less frantic than the West End). Way to late we discovered this option and for the same amount of money could have stayed there. I chatted with a Texan that rented a home with another couple and had a cook and access to a dock and vehicles (consider renting a car at least afew days of your stay to explore the island).

Finally, if days of unrelenting high wind (aka "trade wind") affect you then the south side of the island (particularly if not protected) is not the place for you. Go north or west side. We had 6 days straight of wind day and night. Unless you were 50 yards away from the water the wind was abit too much...25-30 mph 24/7.

Lastly, if you do not rent a room with a kitchen you will need to either buy the meal package at the resort or find resturants elsewhere which mean grabing a shared cab (which is no problem). These are all added expenses and take time out of your day. The meals were good but not inexpensive and it all adds up on the tab. If your budget is big then no problem....

Comments