3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Orbitz.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Costs 109% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Palmetto Bay Plantation

Palmetto Bay Plantation, a wonderful getaway

Palmetto Bay, Roatan, Honduras is it. And it has it all. A km long deserted white sand beach with some of the best snorkeling and diving in the world. The restaurant, bar, and pool are located on the beach with board walks running through tropical gardens and mangroves. Great for bird watching.

The owners of Palmetto Bay Plantation, Gary and Cecilia do everything in their power to ensure your stay here exceeds expectations. Ceciila is originally from Utila, a smaller neighbouring island and has a wealth of knowledge about Roatan and Honduras in general. Gary, a former architect, moved to Roatan 10 years ago to build Paradise and he's pretty much succeeded. The food at the restaurant is excellent and very reasonably priced. The staff is very friendly and speak English as do most of the people on the island. Presently, Palmetto Bay Plantation is the only place on the entire beach, however, plans by other major developers will soon change the best kept secret in the Caribbean. Temptation Island was filmed here a couple of years ago, Richard Gear and his family stayed here a few weeks ago, so the secret is out. My wife and I and 3 boys have been living here for the past 4 months and leave in a week. A typical day would involve an early walk on the beach, 2 hrs of home schooling and then lunch at the pool as the kids menu was a real bargain. The afternoons were spent snorkeling and kayaking, free for guests, or hanging out at the pool or on the beach. The boys loved fishing and jumping off the newly completed dock. The website really doesn't do it justice. The people we have gotten to know have been wonderful. There are 12 private homes here, some of which are rentals, as well as 13 beach houses
also available for rent. The house we rented, Villa del Sol, has 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, a fully equipped kitchen with dishwasher and AC. The house has a pool and is a 5 minute walk to the beach. The property managers,Phil and Theresa, live next door and are very helpful and accomodating. Clay and Heather who live across the street have a sea plane business and often take guests of the resort for an aerial view of the island. I would highly recommend one of their sight seeing tours. The birds eye view of the island and the coral reef are truly spectacular.

Without a doubt, this has been one of the best experiences our family has had. This island is safe, affordable and Palmetto Bay, in our opinion, is the best resort the island has to offer. A wonderful retreat that offers a slow paced, stress free life style.

A perfect place to retire

The first time I visited Roatan (April 2005), was with the intention to buy a property....a summer vacation house to spend time with family and friends, away from the city. I heard so much about the island. After visiting a few places, my husband and I bought a house at Palmetto Bay Plantation. The house is a duplex, ocean view (two bedrooms, one bathroom, kitchen, dining/living room area, deck). We were captivated by Palmetto Bay Plantation for the pleasant atmosphere, friendly environment, beautiful flowers, and plants well kept, lots of birds, hummingbirds, white sand, coconut trees, etc. We had our first family reunion for Christmas (2005) in Roatan, and the whole family: kids, teenagers, adults, and friends in our group (19 people) were delighted with the place. The housing arrangement (we had to rent two other houses) the royal treatment we all received by management and staff in general. We loved it so much that we bought another property to build a bigger house next to the duplex, ocean front. My kids love it there. There is so much to do. If you enjoy sports in general like horse back riding, snorkeling, kayaking, scuba diving, running, walking along the white sand beach in the morning or at sunset, with palmetto and coconut trees, blue sky, blue/green water...it is like a dream come true…After you finish with all sports, you can get a massage to help you relax. I love it! Whenever I talk about Palmetto Bay Plantation, my friends get jealous. They all want to come to visit.
Palmetto Bay Plantation is a perfect place for a wedding. I recommend you to visit this place. You will not be disappointed at all.

Paradise Found

by TripAdvisor Member jacquisc

Palmetto Bay Plantation is like no other place on earth. You can go days at a time without seeing anyone else if you so choose. However they do have a very friendly staff at the bar and restaurant if you want to treat yourself. It is the perfect place for a romantic getaway. In fact, I recently got engaged on the beach under a beautiful full moon. The reefs are breathtaking if you like to snorkel or dive, and the dock/palapa is the ideal spot to read that new book you've had on your shelf. All in all, I loved ever moment at this idyllic spot. The condos are secluded, open air and beautiful. I would highly recommend this spot for anyone that wants to get away to a gorgeous tropical setting without traffic, tourists and malls.

My 7 Day Roatan Diary

by TripAdvisor Member gokatgo

Day 1: Arrive Roatan with Boyfriend. There are chickens in the airport parking lot…I love this place already. Bumpy dirt road (glad my bladder is empty) over the mountain, through the jungle, arrive Palmetto Bay Plantation (PBP). Greeted by Cecilia, who owns PBP with her husband, Gary. We are handed a tasty rum drink with an umbrella, given a short tour and information about activities. I really like the open-air dining/bar area, Asian influenced lighting (courtesy of “Temptation Island”) and general design. Past the pool, I’m squinting through palm trees at the white sand beach and cerulean water. Ahhh…Paradise.
I receive my first 15 sand flea bites.

Day 2: Have learnt through experience that you MUST have bug repellant on you at all times. Luckily the non-Deet, organic stuff I brought works. The Boyfriend is napping nonstop. Explored the beach (loads of seashells, lack of people), the Cuban refugee boat grounded on shore and walk the grounds. Made pals with “Minou” the gray tabby cat. He now thinks he is mine. This place is beautiful. The houses are visually unobtrusive, and blend into the landscape with lush plantings of native flora. I’m trying to adjust to “Island time,” things shut down early, everyone seems to be in bed by 9:30 and up by 5:30 a.m. Our apprehension of not having air conditioning leaves; we had to sleep with a sheet on. Interesting animal noises during the night.
Note: Fantastic stargazing.

Day 3: Boyfriend has come out of his work-induced coma. Went snorkeling. Beautiful! Amazing! Better than Ambergris Cay, Belize. There is so much reef, so many choices, the ocean is your oyster so to speak. All meals, at this point, are eaten at PBP. Discovered that the staff’s Honduran lunch is delicious and not on the menu, ask for it. Massages at the end of the dock to the sound of the waves and ocean breeze, made for a nice cap to an active day. Evening was spent conversing at bar with resident curmudgeon "Captain Mike" an island vet with colorful stories and valuable insights.
Note: This place is seriously quiet and peaceful. You make it what you want it to be.

Day 4: Decide “While in Rome…” and go ahead and take a scuba lesson (the resort/recreational course). The scuba shop is located right at PBP and Eileen, Julian and the interns are patient, fun and serious about scuba. Before you know it, you’re 40 feet down, swimming with the fishes, Zen-like. Rented a car and head into French Harbor for dinner at Geo’s. My garlic crab is great, Boyfriend gets the seafood salad and a friend orders the lobster. The lights go out. I pull out my handy Mag-Lite and turn it into a candle, which is much better than the battery operated fluorescents they brought out. Romantic dinner by Mag-Lite.
Note: Carry bug spray and flashlight at all times

Day 5: Boyfriend sick. Something he ate...the seafood salad? I went snorkeling with 4 others and Freddie, our boat captain. Freddie (The Fish) took us to “Mickey’s Place” and it’s the best snorkeling I have ever done. Coral close to the surface and then reef walls that disappear into the abyss, loads of fish, incredible beauty. Boyfriend is better by evening and we drive to the West End for dinner. Took the “other road” out of PBP, which is surrounded by thick dark jungle and I’m looking for a T-Rex to appear. The road hazards begin; chickens, sleeping dogs in the middle of the road, men with machetes, Grand Canyon sized potholes and once it gets dark, add crabs and tarantulas to the list.
We eat at Brick Oven Pizza (def. worth the confusing walk through yards and alleys) and watch a movie (it’s free movie night (every night) and we watch “The Da Vinci Code” to the sound of crabs scuttling in the bushes, absolutely surreal). The drive back is a testament to Boyfriends slalom skills. Watched a Gecko crawl around the bedroom wall as our evening entertainment.
Note: Avoid mayonnaise consumption.

Day 6: Boyfriend dives “Mickey’s Place” and I have decided I am a snorkeler. The weather is kicking up and the sea is rough. Read, lazed in hammocks the rest of the day.
Note: Bring waterproof wind breaker and books.

Day 7: Rained all day. Finished the books we brought. Had our last dinner, a Honduran feast, with Cecilia. How many owners of a resort sit down and have dinner with you?!
Note: Try the local rum concoction. It’s the bottle with all the roots inside (it needs to have a skull and crossbones on it).

Day 8: Fly home.
Note: Don’t forget you will need $33 (cash only) to leave the country.

Final Note: Palmetto Bay Plantation is more for the soft-adventurer. If you like your basic comforts (no, AC is not basic) to come beautifully packaged, this is for you. Cecilia will do anything she can to make your stay comfortable. If you expect to be waited on hand and foot, have your manicure touched up and watch TV, go elsewhere.
Tip the staff, they earn it and are always friendly and ready to help. A lot of them are single mothers and a few dollars go a long way. Remember where you are (the public hospital doesn’t even have running water) and how much we have living in the U.S.
Island time can be a nuisance and a pleasure at the same time. For most of us, taking our time to do anything is a luxury.
Please feed Minou.

Fun in the sun and dive

by TripAdvisor Member nikkigDenver_Co_

I recently visited Palmetto Bay Resort in Roatan, Honduras and had a wonderful time. The resort is very friendly with a new added dive shop right on location. The boat picks you up right on the beach front. The restaurant has a variety of local foods to pick from along with a buffet on Friday night with one of the local bands playing music while you are eating. The pool is a nice size with the ocean view as you swim. The staff is friendly and very helpful. I would recommend this location to family's or groups of friends who are looking for a friendly, quiet and authentic atmosphere.

tranquility on roatan

I spent a month here with my boys aged 12, 14 and 20 yrs, we loved it. long natural beach to walk on,never crowded,clear warm water.Acommodation is large to small houses set in a tropical park very lush and pretty,all within a couple of minutes to the beach.The staff is very freindly and after a few days you know everyone, they have a nice restaurant, pool overlooking the ocean, dive shop.You can snorkel or dive every day the reef is great, all kinds of fish ,morey eels,crab and lobster.My boys and i took our Padi diving course here and enjoyed it so much we went diving everyday therafter.In all its a great place to relax away from the tourist hoards highly recommended

Fantasy Wedding

We were in Honduras for a day from a cruise ship. My second time. We had preplanned to be married at Palmetto Bay. We had about a 30 to 45 minute wait for their van to take us to the resort. But after that glich, we arrived we were given use of a two bedroom house for the day. Everyone enjoyed the beach and water sports before the ceremony that afternoon. The staff went to lots of work setting up the area for us to use on the beach as well as using flowers from the resort. Our reception was great with a beautiful cake. I highly recommend using this resort for a fantasy wedding on the beach. Thank Cecilia!

Palmetto is awonderful destination!!!!!

I loved my stay at Palmetto. The staff was very helpful and accomodating. There is a beautiful Caribbean beach and an outdoor swimming pool near the bar and restaurant.
The cuisine in the restaurant was excellent for both lunch and dinner. I enjoyed the seclusion of the resort yet it is close enough to other destinations on the island.

Tropical Comfort

Having stayed here with my family for 4 days, I can honestly say that it was a great surprise. The cabins were so modern and comfortable, done in excellent taste that I wanted to move in permanently! All areas are beautifully planted with colorful, lush tropical plants and flowers which give off intoxicating odors.

The restaurant is located on a deck under soaring wooden beams overlooking the pool which inturn overlooks the sea. The food is gourmet both in presentation as well as taste.

Plenty of areas to relax - beach lounging chairs, dock into the sea, cabin veranda, poolside. This is the type of place to stay for an extended period to be able to fully enjoy all it has to offer and the extremely friendly staff.

Looking for quiet time, this is it

by TripAdvisor Member BlueSkyColorado

Our trip in February 2006 was our second two-week stay at Palmetto Bay, and we have already booked our third trip for March 2007. If you are looking for a well-run, out-of-the-way, laid-back place to stay, this is the perfect place. It's nicely laid out with well-built and well-appointed houses, and lots of plants and trees. It has a nice beach and pool, great food (don't miss the Friday buffet), and a wonderful dive shop on-site. You will want to rent a car since Palmetto Bay is a short drive to the nearest town, but this is just the way we want it, no hassles, just beach, breeze, and ocean.

Comments