Isla de Utila Hotels

Our Members Say

• CEP1863 profile photo CEP1863
  • Reviews: 213

Mango Inn: Great place to stay

I had not pre- booked any accommodation for my stay in Utila and liked the look of this place. The reception staff were very friendly and as luck would have it, they had a room available for the duration of my stay. All of the rooms look out on to the pool and I had a ground floor room. It had three single beds and there was ample space. The room was clean and had air-con which worked well. Furnishings in the too. Were very basic but more than adequate for what I needed. The bathroom was incredibly tiny.

The pool is used during the day as a teaching pool for scuba diving. The tropical gardens were lush and very well maintained, they made for a beautiful setting. There was a lovely restaurant which did great pizzas and a really nice bar, both were open to non-residents as well as guests. There was no wifi but there was a computer in the reception that was free for guests to use so you could access the internet.

There is a range of different accommodation to suit all budgets from shared dormitories to a deluxe cottage.

The Inn is connected to Utila Dive Centre and as I dived there, I received a 10% discount on the cost of my accommodation. Overall, I was more than satisfied with my stay and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Really nice tropical gardens.
Restaurant that sells great pizzas.
Decent sized pool.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Women's Travel, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written December 28, 2013

Mango Inn, Utila

• metteks profile photo metteks
  • Reviews: 207

Trudy?s: Nice place to stay

I stayed in this hostel as I was taking a dive course from the diveshop (Underwater Vision) located on the site.
I recieved 3 nights for free as a part of my paccage, and for the rest of the nights I paid US$ 5.

The hostel is a nice and clean place to stay. I had a big room in the main building, and the common bathrooms were located in the hallway. The hostel also have some rooms across the street with private bathroom.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written December 3, 2005

Our dive boat

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Holland House: Convenient Hotel

The Holland House has private bathrooms, however the "mattresses" are made of 8-10 inches of foam. They have two fans in the rooms (one on the ceiling and one floor fan). There isn't any hot water. The hotel is very convenient because it is located near the Center of Utila Town (East Harbour).

Convenient location.

• Related to: Beaches, Diving and Snorkeling

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ojo Del Mar ("Eye of the Sea"): Expensive but worth it!

VERY nice hotel, however you definitely pay for it! This is the only place in Honduras where we had a real mattress AND box spring. Not only that, but it was a KING size bed! They have ice cold a/c, but only lukewarm water (not hot). We stayed on the third floor, so that may have been the reason why the water wasn't really hot. The rooms are VERY nice and the hotel is located in a quiet section of the island.

A decent view of the water, new rooms and furnishings, modern (especially in comparison to the most of the hotels in Honduras).

Freddie's Place: Freddie's Place

We didn't stay at Freddie's (we tried to, however they were already full), however some people we met did. They gave it excellent reviews! The upstairs rooms have balconies with hammocks that overlook the water. The building is right next to the bridge, so you get to see a lot of boats pass by.

You can get a discount at Freddie's when you dive with Alton's Dive Shop (see separate post). Some of the rooms have kitchen facilities.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Beaches, Diving and Snorkeling

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Mansion: Backpackers' Special

This is a good place for younger people. All of the "residents" are diving with Utila Watersports and are paying only $3/night each to have a dorm-style shared room. For less than $10/night you can get a private room. All of the rooms have fans (no A/C). The "mattresses" are about 6 inches of foam. The two bathrooms are both shared by all "residents" (even if you have a private room). There isn't hot water and the shower is "interesting" - they seem to have installed a "hose" fixture as the "showerhead." All of the water comes out cold and in a single stream of water about 1 inch in diameter. The "residents" are typically young people who like to stay up at night on the porch drinking and talking. That is great if you are into that, however we are too old to appreciate that type of thing (especially when it is right outside our room's window).

There is a porch swing and a hammock on the porch.

Tip Photo

The farther away you are, the better it looks!

Mango Inn: Mango Inn

We enjoyed our stay at the Mango Inn! The Utila Dive Shop (which we also recommend - see our separate post!) is affiliated with this establishment, therefore you can get a discounted rate if you dive with them and stay at the Mango. You can stay in a room as cheap as $3/night (if you dive with them and share a dorm-style room with 3 other people), however we opted for the 20% off a private room with fans and HOT water! The 20% was kind of a "wash," however because they charged us 16% tax (note that hardly any of the hotels on Utila charge tax). Mattresses are a difficult find in Honduras if you are staying in a hotel cheaper than $80/night, however the 10-12 inch "foam" mattress we had was relatively comfortable. The photos on their website are accurate. Our only real complaint was that our room had an odd moldy smell...

The Mango Inn is a rare find because it has a freshwater pool and jacuzzi! There is also a very happening bar (especially when the Utila Dive Center is welcoming a new dive instructor). The bar is only loud until 10:30 p.m. at night, however (it "closes" at 10 p.m.). There are some beautiful hummingbirds who frequent a feeder by the bar (see our separate post!).

Mango Inn in Utila, Honduras

• kissbang profile photo kissbang
  • Reviews: 2

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Blue Berry Hill: It's like staying with Grandma.

This place is the best. Probably made my vacation. The owners are a really old couple that just love to chat with you. I went in to there house to pay for the night's stay and she was watching Bold and the Beautiful. American Satelite television.

The power goes out at midnight. They don't have a generator. The price is cheap, and it'll get you a room with 2 beds and a fan. Really all you need in life. It's kinda hard to go to the bathroom after midnight though.

• Written October 24, 2003