Mayan Princess Beach Resort

Costs 167% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Mayan Princess Beach Resort

Great time at the Mayan Princess

by TripAdvisor Member TxLnghrnz

We just got home from a week at the Mayan Princess... and had a great time. We had no problems at all with any of the staff -- in fact we had great interaction with many: Christian, Arturo & Christy at the Front Desk, Waiters Mario, Ramon, John and Francisco, to name a few! Even the gift shop staff was terrific...and always had a smile for us each day (and we visited with them often!)

We did not have the free breakfast each morning, as we often had other plans made or just wanted to enjoy the beach early. On the days that we did partake, we found the fruit selections and hot items very good. It was nice to have a mixture of both "American" type breakfast items mixed with "Honduran" specialties (fried plantain, etc). For a free buffet, it was quite nice.

The resort (and ALL of West Bay) did lose power for almost 12 hours one afternoon/evening, after a driver had an auto accident knocking down several power poles and phone lines. The resort started their generator, which shot sparks! They immediately prepared the grounds for a night in the dark, placing Tiki-type torches along the walkways. We made the most of the night...but, were honestly quite happy when the power kicked on and we could get the A/C going again! The broken generator was definitely the low-point of our trip...but a few feet down the beach we were able to find VERY cold local beer at Henry Morgans (although it was $3 vs. $2 at the Mayan!)

We signed up for the week-long internet access to stay in-touch with the office (YUCK!). The signal was just OK, in our room -- but we were the farthest unit from the office/front desk, so I'm sure that's why the reason was so weak. It worked, but just had it sign-off from time to time. On the patio, our connection was much better.

Everyone has different tastes... and we each commented while we were there how quiet the music was. You often didn't hear the music until you got to the bar/beach area of the resort (and our room was beachfront, we never heard it in our room) I enjoyed the variation in the music (compliments of Sirius!)...Calypso some days, Spanish others, American Pop other days. It was quite nice -- and we always looked forward to spending a little bar time winding down each night.

The free laundry service was great! Take your dirty clothes to the front desk, they wash and fold them and return them to your room...free of charge...later the same day! We did this twice during the week and the clothes smelled so nice and clean!

The beach and resort were kept nice and clean -- there were maids constantly on site and groundskeepers always raking the sand, removing dead foliage, planting new flowers, etc. Unlike the previous poster, our maid kept us well stocked in bathroom amenities... I think we had 3 of each: shampoo, lotion, conditioner and about 6 bars of extra soap when we left for home after the week! We had plenty of towels (usually 4 beach towels for the 2 of us) and extra bath towels/hand towels each day. One morning, after sleeping in late we went out on the patio...and the maid had left a new set of towels for us to start our day! When she came back to clean the room later, we received a whole other set of towels! We left a gratuity for the housekeeping staff each morning, as we do in resorts in the States... The housekeepers were friendly and they spoke each time we saw them throughout the day.

To sum it up...we were so impressed by the resort and its staff, that we booked another week-long visit in November. I am anxious to see if the resort and staff again exceed our expectations then, as they did this time!

Best value in West Bay Beach

by TripAdvisor Member rosset37

We distressed about where to stay in Roatan, and eventually settled on the Mayan Princess--so glad we did. Its definitely the best value in West Bay Beach. The pool and grounds are immaculate. The rooms (condos, really, since each has a separate full bedroom) are clean, spacious, and modern, and the staff is friendly and helpful. We rented a car and drove the entire island, visiting other places we ALMOST stayed. None compared to the Mayan Princess. Yes, they do experience brief power outages from time to time----but so does all of Roatan, no getting around that. If we go back to Roatan, we're definitely staying at the Mayan Princess again.

Great Place - Very Relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member ChicagoTravelor1

The review about the techno was correct, however, I also had a beachfront room and only really heard the music when at the actual restaurant. I travel a lot and I have to say that the Mayan Princess exceeded my expectations. Folks visiting Roatan need to realize that this is Honduras and be prepared for a more exotic experience.

Upon arrival we were greated at the airport and taken to the hotel where the staff was quick to accomodate us with our bags and we were immediately greeted by our own personal waiter who was more than willing to bring food and drinks to our room, the pool or the beach. The rooms are spacious and cleaned daily. The pool is amazing and from what I could tell, the best pool in Roatan and one of the only resorts on the island with a pool at all. I will say that of all of the places I have been, I got the best sunsets in Roatan and the resort is in a prime location. The food was also surprisingly good for Honduras. We ate at the hotel for all of our meals. I highly reommend the Dolphin Swim at Anthonys Key. Absolutely the highlight of the trip. Be sure to spend the extra money to do the actual swim. It was increadable. Also, be sure to go the massage therapist at the Bananarama just down the beach from the Mayan Princess. I usually dont get massages from guys but this guy gave a great chiropractic and pressure point massage. $40 for an hour and it was the best massage I have every gotten.

Things to know:

1. Misquetos and bugs are an issue. Bring repelent with you, there is very little to be found on the island and the stuf they do sell totally sucks. Bring some bite stuff too.

2. Cabs on the island are expensive. $30.00 US round trip most of the time but we found everything we needed at the resort and had very little need to leave.

3. IF you are going to be beahfront, skip the extra cost to have wireless internet for your room, the signal wont reach. In fact, you shoudl be prepared to only have the internet work outside by the pool.

4. Food at the resort is similar to US prcing and drinks are very reasonable.

All in all I enjoyed Roatan and would gladly return. It is a bit depressing in parts of the town (similar to Jamaica and other islands). Mayan Princess was great. I had a chance to peek in on many other resorts and they all were no where near the caliber of Mayan Princess. It is clearly the nicest place on the island to stay.

beautiful

by TripAdvisor Member tropicaltrish

the mayan princess is a gorgeous beach front resort in the west bay. the hotel grounds are very well kept with lots of flowers, a large pool, and beachfront restaurant. the rooms are quite large, too, with central air conditioning, a balcony, breakfast area, and fully equipped kitchen. the bathroom was very nice with glass blocks dividing the shower from the living room.

the dive center, Mayan Divers, is small but very well run. anja and liber are quite experienced and both very sweet. anja took great care in my boyfriend who got his feet wet for the first time! the boat runs well and they have awesome fresh fruit (mm... coconut!) aboard every time.

we experienced one black out which lasted longer than we were told, unfortunately, however it was only one for the entire week we were there. the hotel had candles and matches delivered to our rooms which came in handy, however, i still cut my finger navigating through the hotel room in the dark!

the Caliente Cafe/Restaurant at the mayan princess is rather expensive compared to other locations. my boyfriend and i went to The Lighthouse on the west end three times. the restaurant at Las Rocas is also quite good, and less expensive than at Caliente. The wait service all over the island, however, is great and the staff is very nice.
Breakfast buffet at the Mayan Princess runs notoriously late, so don't rush out to get food before your 8am dive. Mario is a waiter there and he speaks great english as he went to high school in LA!

we did have some snafu's with the front desk, although overall, they were all very kind and helpful.

definitely a VERY memorable trip, and we're contemplating the next time we can go back...

Very nice hotel, nice beach, nice diving (picture slideshow link)

by TripAdvisor Member dghudson

We just returned from a business trip to Central America and were able to make a quick trip to Roatan for just over 24 hours. We stayed at the Mayan Princess. The hotel is very nice. It has a great pool and great beach location. I have posted a slide show of our trip on youtube if you'd like to see pictures (cut and paste into your browser - about 4 minutes long):

We did a 2 tank dive from Banarama next door to the Mayan Princess because they didn't have availability with our hotel. They are sticklers about showing your certification card for scuba which is good for safety. The diving was great although in my opinion Cozumel is #1 and the Cayman Islands are #2. Roatan is #3 for diving in my book.
This is a great trip for a tropical destination that is nice and relaxing. There is some night life in the area with a quick cab ride. We did experience some plumbing trouble with our toilet but I hear that is common in most of the hotels on the island. We are easy going and it didn't bother us. How can you go wrong with the fabulous sunsets, excellent beach and pool, swim up bar, and top notch diving? I didn't find the locals to be as friendly as other destinations like in Mexico but I think it is a cultural difference and didn't bother me.

Amazing Time and great Spt

by TripAdvisor Member Elsa55

My Name is Elsa and I am honduran, but live up in Texas 15 years ago. This was my first trip to my country after all that time and had been waiting for it for the past 6 months. When I found the Mayan Princess online I had to satay here they have a very nice online reservation sysytem that made it easy to book. I chose a dive package since both of my sons dive, they say that Anja & Liber were great and emjyed every dive. The people of front desk were great since we came in they had our room ready and the check-in was fast, I belive that there supervisor took us to our room and it was just what I had expected. I enjoyed my week trip people in the restaurant were great and they pampered us like royalty.
The power went 2 times but they generator kiked in about 10 minutes.
We had a great time and we recomend this resort.

Loved the pool and beach

by TripAdvisor Member CaliforniaWinston

If you love loud techno music, you will love the beach and bar area of the Mayan Princess. From 7 am until late at night the music was so loud you could not hear yourself think. We had a lovely beach front room with a patio overlooking the ocean. It should have been peaceful and relaxing, instead you felt as if you were in a disco! The hotel rooms, the beach and the pool are great, but unfortunately the food desperately needs improvement. Our first night dinner was so bad, we never ate dinner there again although we had one lunch, in desperation, which wasn't too bad - what can you do to a sandwich! But I don't think anyone comes to Honduras for the food as nowhere was the food particularly appetizing even the famed Rudy's in town was no exception. One could go into West End to eat but the taxi fare is $10 each way, which makes for an expensive dinner, so you are basically stuck along the beach area. In late September early October the island is very quiet with very people about which was great.But the tour groups still arrive from the cruise ships on Tuesdays and Fridays and inundate both the town of West End and also the hotels which for a fee allow day visitors to the hotel and beach area. If the hotel had been more crowded it may have been difficult for genuine guests to find a beach chair! Excellent Indian restaurant in town - really good.

slow service

by TripAdvisor Member familydiver3

I wish I had read some of the reviews for this property before going. I was expecting a top notch hotel, but did not get this at all.
I Booked through their web site, and had a terrible time connecting with the phone numbers. There is no outlet here in the US to call. Anyway I booked a dive package for 2 of us. I was told over the phone that the dive package would include 5 days of 2 tank dives, a night dive, the park entrance fee of $10 per person and a couples dinner. Upon arrival, I talked to the dive shop and booked my dives. Anja and Liber are very good dive masters and we had great days of diving and boat was not crowded at all.. The night dive was especially wonderful. They knew nothing about the extra perks that I was guaranteed, but they accepted my word. I had to arrange my own couples dinner, and my own night dive. In terms of the actual property, I found the following lacking for supposedly a top notch resort.
1) Loud music all day long. I would go out by the beach at 7:00 for a cup of coffee and the music would already be blaring.
2) Breakfast was suppose to start at 7:00, but many days did not start until 7:40
3) Got to breakfast one morning at 9:00 (7-10 breakfast) and the buffet was not very appetizing (stuck pancakes in the pan, and only 1 kind of fruit)
4) No watercoolers on the property. We had to buy small bottles of water at $2 a small bottle.
5) Daily shampoos, etc, were not replenished daily.
6) ran out of clean towels. Front desk had no new ones.
7) no hair dryer in the room
8) T.V. controls didn't work
9) power outage, no back up generator
10) Again I will mention the music. If you like blaring music from 7 in the morning to 10 at night then this is the place for you. I got to the point where I went in my room to avoid the music.
12) Restaurant service very slow. Had to wait 20 minutes at least for our order.

We Loved the Mayan

by TripAdvisor Member traciedee

After reading all the reviews, man you can get paranoid about what you are getting yourself in to. This hotel is not perfect, but it is lovely and the pool is really beautiful We spent a lot of time just hanging out in the pool in the early evenings. The guys in the bar would bring us drinks and it was really enjoyable and relaxing. The grounds were well kept and very nice.

We had a beach front room top floor, 230. It was the perfect location steps from beach and the bar/restaurant. Palm trees did block most of the ocean view, but it was still enjoyable to set outaide and watch the beach wake up in the mornings. If you have a downstairs unit, you will have the folks staying upstairs walking through your patio to get to you room. Not much privacy.
Our room was nice and I liked having a coffee maker and microwave and fridge. Only room complaints would be we sank to the floor if we sat on the couch. We just beefed it up with pillows and wa la problem solved. Bed was comfy.

Front desk was always friendly and we got good service at the bar/restaurant.

Beach was lovely. Enjoyed walking and finding the different bars and hotels. Water warm. Had a few days of storms, but heck it was warm and we managed to dive and bar hop so all was well!

Diving with Mayan Divers which was on site was easy and cheap. It's been a long time since I paid $250 for a ten tank dive. Anja was top notch and the diving was easy.

Food was so so. Enjoyed the little buffet in the morning and many times they allowed us to order off the menu when the hotel was slow.

We loved the feel of the resort and it is one of the few places we have said we will go back to.. I would not have wanted to stay anywhere else on Grace Bay.

Finally, I has worried about the power outages. Ok obsessed..but their generator must have been working because I never affected us. I only knew the power was off when the pool gets stopped and the clock on the sotve in our keep needed to get re-set.

Great location, nice beach and nice facility

by TripAdvisor Member travlinphilly

I went to Roatan to dive but didn't really want to stay at a "Dive Resort". This fit the bill nicely. They have a new dive shop that was opened in April 07 and they were wonderful, great owners and dive master and captain! Loved the diving! The hotel facility itself was very nice, a nice large pool, nice beach and my room overlooked the ocean which was great. The room itself was large with a full kitchen which I have to admit I did not use but a nice option. The room could use some very slight upkeep/updating but every problem I had was instantly taken care of. For instance the shower head was horrible and when I mentioned it on my way to dinner they sent someone within minutes and it was replaced by the time i got back. The restaurant was nice to have there but not that great but nice for lunch or a beer. I think this hotel has a nice combination of everything and recommend it.

Tooo much to drink??Tooo much to drink??

Art storeArt store

Locals shopLocals shop

Days before the stormDays before the storm

honeymoon

by woodro67

I am trying to plan our honeymoon for the end of February. We are looking for somewhere we can get to quickly from Florida... Likely carribean or central america. Any suggestions on locals, hotels or whatever. We have been to Costa Rica several times and love it.. but would like to see something else. We want nice accomodations but no need for fru-fru all-inclusive. Both of us are active, (Surf, hike, scuba, or just relax w/ a cold beer) Any input is greatly appreciated. I really need some direction/focus.
thanks!

by MonoBichi

I am not a big fan of the Playa Carmen area, but I think you could do much worse for a honeymoon. Flights to Cancun are probably pretty cheap from Florida, and you can get some really romantic hotels there for like $50. See this
http://www.igougo.com/planning/journal.asp?JournalID=3853 for a few of the cheaper ones...Sian Kian and Faro are what I would think of as VERY romantic...so is Banana Cabanas. Not the normal type of hotel, but really nice. Sian Kian has a very Caribbean feel about it, not Mexican feel. The Caribbean is a block away.

You can take a ferry to Cozumel from there for prime scuba. Head down to Tulum to see the ruins there and nearby Coba (this isn't really hiking country...people climb old pyramids) there is diving in cenotes...underground grottos. Xel Ha and Ixcaret are like outdoor theme parks, incredible snorkling.

Mexico is also a Caribbean country, mon.

by XtravelloverX

Hi there,

Ambergris Cay or Caye Caulker off the coast of Belize would be great for scuba/snorkel and relaxing...daytrips to the mainland of Belize would include hiking some ruins and rainforested areas.

Check out ---> http://www.travelbelize.org/

Congrats on your upcoming wedding day and marriage. :^)

Dawn

RE: RE: RE: honeymoon

by catalysta

I really enjoyed the Playa Del Carmen area, though you may want to check into what hurricane damage was suffered there before booking anything, Wilma hit the Yucatan pretty hard (dead on Cozumel/Playa too).

Depending on your budget, St. John in the USVI's is one of the prettiest islands around, and 2/3 of it is parkland with lots of hiking trails. Snorkeling, diving, sailing all excellent there too. It can be spendy, but there are some less expensive villas up in the hills, often with gorgeous views, so as long as you've got a rental vehicle you'll be fine.

Aruba, St. Croix & St. Maarten may have some bargain sales going on too, and you can get good package deals including airfare all over the Caribbean thru this site: CheapCaribbean.com.

Happy trails!

by lilsmity

You should try Belize. We just came back from Belize and had a wonderful time. I would suggest doing some adventurous tours on the mainland and then head off to Ambergris Caye for some relaxing days. Check out Mayawalk tours for mainland tours (mayawalk.com I think) and Mayan princess for your island accomodation. Happy travelling.

Comments