Amapala Hotels

• atufft profile photo atufft
  • Reviews: 3020

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Gargoyales Hotel: Nice New Friendly Small Hotel

After dissatisfaction with our stay one night at the Mirador de Amapala, we put our bags into a couple of motor scooter trikes and headed over to the Gargoyales Hotel. This place wasn't so expansive and didn't have a restaurant, nor was it a waterfront hotel, but it was well located within easy walk of Amapala's plaza and waterfront. It was also located enough on the edge of town so that any night-time excitement from the plaza wouldn't disturb one's sleep. The hotel manager is friendly and resourceful, and the price was lower than the Mirador de Amapala. The manager ordered food and had it delivered for lunch, and he arranged a boatman for our trip around the island, and a pick-up to transport ourselves and our bags to the return ferry launch to Coyolito. Price for double was 1,000L ($50).

The hotel is brand-new with a beautiful swimming pool, and a covered patio area with hammocks and fans. The concrete work is very decorative and nice. The rooms are small and dark, but comfortable enough. A strong smell of lacquer on the dark wood doors, window shutters, and ceiling interrupted my sleep, so we had to open the windows on our second floor room to let the bay breeze flow in. As it turns out, Amapala doesn't have a serious problem with mosquitos, perhaps because the water flows so fast down the volcano mountain into the brackish water of the bay.

• Opinion of Price: about average

• atufft profile photo atufft
  • Reviews: 3020

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Mirador de Amapala: Adequate Lodging Right on the Waterfront

The Hotel Mirador has it's own port, so its easy to catch the ferry directly to this full service hotel as we did. The gruff Spanish manager/partner used to catering to HondureƱos from Tegucigalpa, rather than foreign visitors, kept changing the prices after we bargained, making it difficult to predict the hotel charges. The confusion over pricing was such a hassle that we had an argument over this with the irritable and rude manager. Visitors will have access to a decent room with a/c and a balcony view of the gulf, adequate restaurant facilities, and a cloudy swimming pool, but expect to walk through unfinished construction projects. Our room first room had a broken shower valve, so we had to move our bags to another. The second room had a glass louver missing from the window, so the only resourceful help in the hotel went around all other rooms trying to find a matching piece to fill in.

After we finally settled in, a high school band from a private school in Tegucigalpa arrived to join us, marching through the town at midnight, and playing in the pool until early morning. I had become ill with a fever, from some virus I had picked up a day or two earlier, so I found it difficult to either help my wife bargain or to enjoy the festivities brought to the pueblo by the marching band. I vaguely remember my wife, who is a high school Spanish teacher, getting up in the middle of the night, walking down the hall, banging on a door, and chastising in a loud voice some noisy boys whose fun and games had persisted too long.

The next day, we moved to different accommodations in Amapala. I would not necessarily recommend against this place, because it was by comparison to many other hotels in Honduras adequate overall, but there are better new opportunities with friendlier hospitality on the island. Breakfast is included to the extent of 150L off the breakfast menu. We also ate our first dinner on the island, which included fish, but I don't recall anything special about this restaurant menu. For some goofy reason, the manager didn't want to produce a written receipt until I demanded it.

The room with view of the water was 800L, and the breakfast 300L for two people. We also had dinner, which added another 370L, for a grand total, after taxes, of 1634L (about $86).

When you call, you may reach the other partner in Tegucigalpa who is much more civil. I recommend making some demands of him before arriving with your bags off the ferry. But, if you don't like the deal, it's easy to get the bags moved to another hotel by the 3 wheel taxis.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average