Caribbean and Central America Hotels

Our Members Say

• gwened profile photo gwened
  • Reviews: 2862

Towne Hotel: nice memories of Nassau

in my hunting of the Caribbean I stayed at this hotel as a Young men many times coming over from Florida USA

it is central to all just across from a public beach,in house restaurant, all sea viewing rooms nice pool in the garden courtyard;and just around the corner from the historic British colonial hotel and Bay Street shopping

I had a third floor room always, perfect views ,last picture I have it was in renovation, so it is well kept property and friendly service.

• Related to: Family Travel, Water Sports, Beaches
  • Written February 3, 2014

Towne Hotel Nassau

• gabesz profile photo gabesz
  • Reviews: 3

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sandals Negril Review: Sandals Negril

We spent Christmas – New Year’s Eve at Sandals Negril. Though this is our first time at this resort we are returning Sandals guests.
I will describe our stay as fairly good. This is due to various reasons described below.
Staff:
The entire staff was very friendly and helpful. Most said hello to each guest and treated them as family even if they were first time visitors to the resort. There were a few instances where I have complaints and mainly for staff that was not seen during the entire week. This was for some management staff that I shall not name here directly but they are key management people to keep people happy, yet they were invisible the entire week with the exception of one or two occasions for each of them. Now I do not know if this was due to time off or something else but their lack of presence was clearly visible.

The staff even invited us over to see the finals of the resort cricket match (the servers won the entire tournament) which was interesting though few guests showed up.

Food:
This is a problem area for me for two reasons. Some food was excellent, some was plain, some was awful and some should not be served at all.

Breakfast:
Bayside is where we went every day. The omelet station was ok, though incredibly slow. The pastries were average nothing great and cannot believe that they really don’t know how to make a good chocolate croissant. The fresh fruit was ok, but not really sweet. Overall breakfast was ok, but they can do better as do other resorts do in Jamaica.

Lunch
We ate at Barefoot by the Sea where the sushi and sashimi were average at best. Service was incredibly slow compared to other places to eat in the resort. Bella Napoli Pizza needs to get lessons on how to make a pizza from the other pizzerias at Sandals. They are really not that great and the pizzas are far smaller than any of the other resorts. We never tried the buffet at Bayside though they did have some interesting items available on various days, but again the desert selection needs major help in the form of a really good pastry chef. The Beach Bistro is the best place for lunch. Nice choices for food. All freshly cooked. Excellent service.
Dinner:
Bayside had a decent dinner though the crepes were cold and not really that great. Cucina Romana was the worst meal ever for an Italian restaurant. Frozen lobster tails, cream sauces that are at best awfully over creamy. The tomato sauce for the Frutti Di Mare was good though. Not many choices. The deserts were frozen and again a good pastry chef will be very helpful. Also the welcome drink should be served with desert since it tastes too sweet to be a pre-dinner drink. The beach buffet for the beach party was ok, but many were not really happy with the minimal amount of choices that was more like a lunch choice at Bayside vs. a special dinner. Also no lobster during lobster season was not a great thing to have. The best meal of the entire stay was at Kimonos. The food was great; the service was excellent nothing bad can be said about this restaurant. This was dinner on Xmas night and indeed was wonderful for all of us sitting at the table.

Chocolate Party:
Average and the chocolates are nothing really great. Other resorts do much better. Rory was not at the party to sing and actually the party was not much of a party rather people passing along saw the foods and picked up pieces. They could have done much better.

Welcome Back Dinner:
Nice dinner, though the steak was somewhat tough.

Entertainment:
This is easy. Most of the shows at night were worth seeing or skipping. The kids who play the drums with the dancers are great. The steel drum band with the kids is wonderful. The steel drum band at the beach party is great especially the singer. The piano player at the piano bar is wonderful as always and we have seen him before in the Montego Bay area Sandals many times. The shows with the entertainment staff are rather boring and worth skipping. The only great person is the 82 year old man on the bike doing his tricks. The daytime activities if there are any are really childish and highly boring. Other resorts do a far better job of organized activities. You were lucky if you had 2 activities in any given day.

Room:
We stayed in the Sundowner building on the 2nd floor. The room was really nice and our only real complaint is due to the way the shower head faces the water spills out onto the floor in front of the shower.

Grounds:
The staff does a great job of keeping the grounds well groomed and beautiful.

Overall we like the resort, however there are issues that they really need to fix including having key staff around and having a better pastry chef as do other Sandals resorts have on the island. We may return but it will be a while. There is much better Sandals out there to visit in Jamaica and other islands that far exceed Negril in service and quality.

• Related to: Beaches, Water Sports, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written January 1, 2013

• gwened profile photo gwened
  • Reviews: 2862

Green Iguana: central and best views- St Thomas

long question short answer, USVI includes St Thomas, St John, and St Croix. all beautiful, with a more commercial front in St Thomas main street. once there why not try to visit all or at least as you said ST Thomas and St John. No need to rent a car, better get a scooter,nice rides beautiful scenery all over,and walk as much as you can.
plenty of accomm in B&B, mine was several years ago, you can check in destinations above right type the names and see tips by posters like us here at VT.
voilà here is where I stayed still there, lol!!! check for updates because it has been several years.

hope it helps your planning

best views and all central, very nice kept and surprise still around after so many years!!!

• Related to: Family Travel, Beaches, Water Sports
  • Written March 27, 2012

• garridogal profile photo garridogal
  • Reviews: 907

Celebrity Summit: SUMMIT TIP - Concierge Level

I really enjoyed our concierge level room. It had a double bed and really comfy pull out couch that I slept on. We were also given robes, sparkling wine, fresh fruit, and best of all a balcony! I seriously will never go another cruise unless I can have a room with balcony.

Our room attendant couldn't be friendlier or better. And he always seem to be nearby to get us whatever we needed.

It was a lovely week!

• Related to: Cruise, Luxury Travel, Sailing and Boating
  • Written December 3, 2011

The Good Life

• sheherezad profile photo sheherezad
  • Reviews: 134

Club Med: refresh, rejuvenate, recharge

I've never tried any other AI (All Inclusive) resorts except Club Med, which I first ended up going to from Ottawa 22years ago since it solved the problem for me needing a visa to go to several other possible locations - so, I ended up in Paradise Island (now closed!

I discovered then that it is the perfect solution for a single woman travelling alone (like I told one man who asked how could I go to the Maldives alone i.e. not with him, in a postcard I sent him from Club Med Kani: "You are never alone at Club Med!" LOL!), especially when all I want is to wake up in the morning to RRR (refresh, rejuvenate, recharge) when I'm 'brain-dead'!

Great company/good food - don't have to worry where to eat, what to order for breakfast/lunch/dinner - just pick and choose what your eyes can feast on (especially the crepe with chocolate sauce or the chocolate-"chunk" baguette at Cancun and Cherating!). And for lunch/dinner, there's a choice between the main restaurant and another 1-2 specicalty restaurants (like the Surf and Turf in Cancun where I met 'Yeh', flirting with my Palm Beach room-mate! No wonder he remembered me when he saw me in Cherating 7 years later! Where he was posted with a dosen chefs to revamp the kitchen/menu and I found the chocolate-chunk baguette I first discovered in Cancun!).

• Written June 23, 2011

• mamawinnie profile photo mamawinnie
  • Reviews: 17

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Cruise liner: Ventura.....a big ship.

Two weeks cruising the Caribbean is bliss and the cruise ship Ventura was a great ship to travel on.
Lots to see and do but a little over priced. Great beaches.

A new ship made for the British market. Cruising has come to the masses much to the disgust of the aged and wealthier cruiser.
We enjoyed it but we went out of school holiday times so not so many children about.

• Written September 6, 2009

A big boat.

• merlin58 profile photo merlin58

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

there are many: Caribbean's best kept secret

Wow! Sounds like a lot of fun! Before you commit to anything, go see www.a-secret-to-share.com. It’s a remarkable site with no frills, no glitter and no hype. Just the best deals on the web, guaranteed. I found them a couple of years ago and use them for everything. I love this site!
If you have a quote from another location, let them know and any one of their people will beat it. Pretty nice deal since I always have a ‘travel budget’ that I like to stick to. I figure the more I save, the more shopping I can do when I get there! Who doesn’t like the sound of that? (And, it makes my husband very happy when he does the ‘total trip tally’ after we’ve gotten home.)

• Related to: Beaches, Budget Travel, Casino and Gambling
  • Written February 7, 2009

• debbiepc1 profile photo debbiepc1

4 star hotels: Free hotelvoucher

HI Maybe I can help you with a little trick.
I booked my last vacation on www.cheaptripworld.com
And the very next day I got as a thank you for booking a free hotelvoucher for 2 night 3 day stay.
THey had for St Martin.
So why don't you book your flight there, then you get 2 free night hotelvoucher from them and then you just book your other nights.Saves you at least $200 this trick

2 free nights

• Related to: Study Abroad, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written November 16, 2008

• cassy99 profile photo cassy99

The Balboa Inn: A Treasure

Very clean rooms with white socks clean floors. Location is a very quiet residential neighborhood. Centrally located to beaches and downtown. Nice buffet breakfast on a covered terrace where
you can watch and see tropical birds.Our hosts and their staff went out of their way to make
this a pleasurable and memorable stay.

Yes! Yes! I highly recommend this place to others.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Seniors
  • Written September 23, 2008

• lampup profile photo lampup

jOY'S bEACH HOUSE: hOPKINS BELIZE VACATION RENTAL

In Hopkins, I rent a beach house instead of a hotel. I cook my own food. If you need some more information visit http://www.vrbo.com/164859.

• Written August 31, 2008
Tip Photo

• brianthetiger profile photo brianthetiger
  • Reviews: 5

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Carnival Glory: Cruising the Western Caribbean

First time on a cruise ... hmmmm ...

It was great ... and sometimes not so great .... but overall I found it more enjoyable that I had imagined, and that may have been because I was with 3 companions, I wouldn't have gone alone (although some people did) and I'm not sure I'd have picked this particular cruise to travel as a couple.

Carnival is one of the largest cruise lines in the world and this particular ship and 'theme' was all about 'fun'; the kind of fun that requires constant activity either on the boat or on the excursions when the boat lands. Although the excursions range from being as lazy as soaking in the sun on a western Caribbean beach in Mexico, Belize, Honduras or Bahamas, or as easy as sifting through the jewelry stores paying 50% of US store prices for precious metal and stone trinkets, or as effort intensive as kayaking down rivers and walking through ancient Mayan ruins.

The 'fun cruises' as they call them are not about peace and quiet ... especially if your cabin is surrounded by a family of New Yorkers (and I do not cast dispersions on an otherwise fine set of people); but this family was loud and would open their various doors so that the kids could run about between the rooms ..... but that, I've got to say was the only downside of an otherwise great week.

The service on Carnival Glory was fantastic .... there seemed to be a unique spirit and pleasantness from all of the people who looked after us whether they were cabin-cleaners, bar people, restaurant waiters or anyone else whose job included talking to or helping the passengers.

24hr pizza ... wow! Food was available all day in a number of restaurants (especially the buffet) but I had to try the pizza at 3am and it was great. And all food is included in the price you pay for the trip.

You don't carry money, unless you want to play in the casino, so everything you do and drink goes on a card. So you can keep the trip inexpensive by drinking little alcohol or rack up a nice big bill that just comes off your VISA at the end without you having to sign anything except all the drinks receipts that accompany every order .... but its all worth it.

Oh ... thanks John, I forgot .... you can't take your own drink on board ... you'll get into a bit of bother if you don't give any alcohol bought on those shore excursions to the purser for safe keeping until the end of the cruise.

• Related to: Adventure Travel, Family Travel, Cruise
  • Written December 6, 2007

Deck of the Carnival Glory

• hornyryan profile photo hornyryan
  • Reviews: 2

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ocean Village: Cruiseing around

It was fantastic we went on a Caribbean cruise for two weeks on the first night i didnt have any sense of what was going on but on the second night i had the time of my life i went in the club we all called it babe side but it was really called bay side and we all went and danced on the dance floor i want to go back but my mum wont, we swam with dolphins, went on a helicopter, swam with turtles and or course we went SHOPPING and i really enjoyed that.

It had a spa, a club, a swimming pool, 10 bars and llllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooottttttttttttttttssssssssssssss of other things.

• Written July 3, 2007

• VeronicaG profile photo VeronicaG
  • Reviews: 2098

The Liberty of the Seas: A Seagoing Palace

This was not our first cruise, but our most elegant. I would highly recommend boarding the Liberty of the Seas on your next voyage!

We were fortunate to get a state room with a balcony as most of them were taken because this ship was beautifully hyped on the Travel Channel. Our room was nicely appointed and the service was superb from beginning to end. All the rooms had flat screen full size tv's.

We chose THE LIBERTY OF THE SEAS because of all it offered the seagoing traveler! The Royal Promenade held a fine jewelry shop, a pub, ice cream parlor, perfume shop, a General Store, Fashion Boutique, cafe, lounge and a shop carrying work-out clothing.

Magnificent dinners were served on the 3rd, 4th and 5th floors. Numerous specialty restaurants were also available for an extra charge. Entertainment was offered each evening at a multitude of lounges throughout the ship. Please see these pics:

Picture 2 The Water Park
Picture 3 The Rembrandt Dining Room
Picture 4 The Promenade
Picture 5 The Pool area at night

The shows were fantastic--running the gamut from comedy, breath-taking arial acts, broadway to musical extravaganzas. The casino seemed to attract many people each night to the slots or table games.

The pool area on the 11th deck was amazing! A bright, colorful waterpark for the kids, a lively pool and entertainment area for families/ singles and quiet, adult-only pool for those who wished to escape the crowd were located here. A luxurious spa and fitness center offered all the pampering one might want.

The 'flow-rider' was very popular with those who wanted to experience surfing on board. A rock climbing wall, basketball court, mini-golf course, ice skating rink, boxing ring and extensive arcade kept the younger set amused!

Children had wonderful choices for entertainment each night as they checked into clubs designed for their particular age groups. Our grandson enjoyed several late nights at a kids club with other children his age (a special after hours club extended from 10pm-1 am).

• Related to: Luxury Travel, Cruise
  • Written June 26, 2007
Tip Photo

• amelalala profile photo amelalala
  • Reviews: 2

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hostel "Horatio": New&fancy hostel!

Nice and clean place, feels like home... completely furnished, nice people! Just great!!!
I would recommend it to everyone!

It's close to main old street Bascarsija, which is the heart of Sarajevo!

• Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written June 21, 2007

room1

• rozebudred profile photo rozebudred

Gran Caribe Real Resort: Best of Cancun

Great place, best location on the beach. It's not upper end and it's definitely not lower end either. Good prices on all-inclusives. In the Hotel Zone on the open ocean side (you don't want to stay on the north-facing beaches ... unless you don't like a fun surf!

Wonderful views. Numerous villas besides the hotel rooms. Good pool out front oceanside. Good restaurants. Great sandbar and surf. Crystal water like you won't believe!

• Related to: Cruise, Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches