Goblin Hills Villas

11 East Avenue, Kingston, Jamaica, WI, Caribbean

More about Kingston

Spanish TownSpanish Town

Kingston from the airKingston from the air

Bog Walk GorgeBog Walk Gorge

The Bob Marley MuseumThe Bob Marley Museum

I'm searching for a ferry to leave Kingston

by silverchels

I'll be in Jamaica for a month, and leaving in the middle of August. I will then be moving to Rincon, Puerto Rico (near Aguadilla airport). I would like to find a ferry service to get between these locations. I am also curious about whether it would be worthwhile to bring my bicycle to Jamaica or have it shipped to Puerto Rico once I get there - it's my favorite way to get around.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks!

RE: I'm searching for a ferry to leave Kingston

by pancharnic

Sorry but there are no ferries from Jamaica to Puerto Rico - I sure wish there were!! You will have to fly to Miami and then to PR or fly to Antigua and then to PR.

RE: RE: I'm searching for a ferry to leave Kingston

by atjones1974

Hello Pancharnic: Any idea if there is a ferry between Kingston and Cuba? Or flights, besides an expensive Air Jamaica flight, b/w Montego Bay and Cuba? Thx

RE: RE: I'm searching for a ferry to leave Kingston

by pancharnic

Sorry again but there are no ferries that route either. Unfortunately we do not have enough traffic to support that service.

RE: bring my bicycle to Jamaica

by JAsoldier

Drivers in Jamaica almost always sound their horn before passing, but once they have sounded it they will pass, you have to keep tight to the left and ride straight, they expect that and don't give a lot of leeway. It is best to rise early and ride before the hottest part of the day. Cycling, in my opinion, is the best way to see Jamaica. You can stop anywhere to talk to someone, take in a view or check out a shop/trader.
If you state the type of cycling you do and the areas you are likely to stay/cycle I can most likely give you more advice on cycling in Jamaica. I have toured all parts of Jamaica by bicycle, and raced there several times.

Travel Tips for Kingston

Patois

by RudoElCojonudo

The jaimacans have their own language, they call it PATOIS. For me is like a 'bad spoken' english, but it's nice to listen to then talking it. I learnt some words because all the people use to call us like this, they aren't very nice words but we had to start learning from somewhere!! ;-)
-Battybway or Battyman: Homesexual, gay in not a very polite way.
-Pochaina: Pussy.
-Bomboclat: It is the worse thing you can be called in Jamaica, it sth like '*** off'. They only say that when they are really hangry.

Late Night Jerk Chicken

by redmon5

Ask your driver to take you to the best pan man to get some jerk chicken. Don't be surprised when he asks you for ketchup on your chicken because it's a suprisingly great combination. Jamaican ketchup is different. This is the best after a late night partying with your friends. Usually there is a spot where a bunch of pan men cook together. Make sure you go to the one that has a crowd of people around him. He's usually the best.

Fort Charles

by Dabs

Originally named Fort Cromwell, it was renamed Fort Charles in honor of the restoration of the British Monarchy when King Charles II ascended the throne in 1660.

At the time it was built it was surrounded by water, now there is much distance between the fort and the water.

The fort admission includes a guide and admission to a couple of museums with artifacts from Port Royal that have been recovered from the sea after the earthquake in 1692 submerged Port Royal.

See the accompanying travelogue for more pictures.

Holy Trinity Cathedral

by RudoElCojonudo

It's quite old, and it's even worse when you go inside. When we visited that there where mountins of garbage inside it. It was closed, but we asked a pair of persons who where keeping that and they opened the Cathedral for us, I think that they haven't had a visit for years!! They were really kind with us, and they explained everything about the Cathedral. The building itself wasn't nothing special, but it was a great experience.
Another reason to go could be that it's the biggest church in the island and there isn't much to do in Kingston. ;-P

Price: Admision Free.

Emancipation park.

by morgr

Up in the centre of New Kingston is emancipation park, an excellent place to hide away from people hassling you (though certainly not to the degree you'd get in MoBay, Negril or Ocho). Find some shade under a tree, have a snack, read a book, or just smoke a cigarrette (or joint) and relax for a while. Unfortunately there were no ashtrays in the park.

There is a walkway that goes around the outer part of the park, in the evenings local people came here and all walked turning left. There were even signs indicating that this was the designated direction in wich to walk. If you choose to go for a walk with them, go left.

Comments