Mocking Bird Hill, P.O. Box 254, Port Antonio, Jamaica, Caribbean
Orbitz.com Travelocity Booking.com

Costs 50% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Hotel Mocking Bird Hill

Perfect hideaway

I stayed at the Hotel Mocking Bird Hill by chance after visiting for breakfast just after arriving in the now named Errol Flynn marina on a racing yacht - no luxury on that. I was so taken with the location and beauty of the surroundings and wonderfully attentive service that I booked in. They only had the honeymoon suite left and I was alone but made the most of it. The warm evenings watching the sunset swinging in the hamock on the veranda were just memorable and I wished my husband had been with me to share the magic of it all. The food is virtually all home made and tastes out of this world. I stayed for 5 nights and it was worth every penny. Port Antonio is reported to be the most picturesque in all Jamaica and I would certainly recommend it and the hotel to any of my best friends. I plan to take my husband as soon as I can and hope to relive the magic. The hosts are exceptional and it feels like you are in a good friends luxury home and they do all they can to make you comfortable.

Only visited the restaurant - major diasppointment

by TripAdvisor Member SCHHItomi

We only visited Hotel Mockingbird Hill to enjoy what we were told (and was advertised) as a higher class meal. What a MAJOR disappointment. At first, we were thorougly impressed with the view, but quickly found that that was the ONLY good feature. Our server knew absolutely nothing about the drinks served (like whether they are frozen or on the rocks) and even less, if possible, about the dinner items being served that night. We were only a party of 6, but were constantly served the wrong dishes. The food was mediocre at best - what a disappointment. To have spent $300.00 US, we definately expected edible food ( the duck was old and tough) and decent service - we got neither. We should have gone to Juici Patty!!

Feeling home

by TripAdvisor Member schokker

On arrival we were welcomed by the owners and a very friendly staff. The room was very comfortable and the view was amazing. A lot of diffent birds were seen, lying in the hammock. Every evening we enjoyed the sunset in the lounch with a nice cocktail. All food is homemade and very tasty. We were spoiled all of our time we were there. Also we experienced a nice massage in the garden of the hotel.. The swimmingpool is cleaned every day and drinks are serviced there as well. We also rested in the very nice garden between the trees. The owners were very helpfull in advising us what trips we could make in these beautifull surroundings of Portland. We can recommend Franchmen Cove, a beautifull bay where you will be brought by a car of the hotel.
We can recommend this hotel to everybody and we will certainly come back again.

a trip to paradise

by TripAdvisor Member journalist_travel

Just came back from a great holiday at the Mocking Bird Hill Hotel on the east coast of Jamaica, where I stayed over Christmas and New Year. I literally feel I’ve come back from a trip to paradise… This hotel is a lovely white house up on a hill, with a splendid view of the bay in front, the Blue Mountains to the left and the Caribbean Sea to the right. Simply sitting on the veranda, sipping a drink and looking over the huge, beautiful garden with its lush tropical flowers and the sea beyond, listening to the birds and watching the sunset was the most relaxing experience I have had for a long time.
The owners, Ms.Barbara and Ms.Shireen, make you feel instantly at home and cared for – and Ms.Barbara mixes the greatest cocktails this side of the Atlantic! Ms.Tesia, the young manager, solves any problem quickly and with a great sense of humour. The entire staff is extremely friendly and efficient. They drive you down to the nearest beach (just a few minutes away), organise outings like river rafting, bird watching or mountain hiking, call someone in to give you a massage, pick you up or drop you at the airport and even organise cooking classes, in case you want to know more about local cuisine. (This time, I limited myself to eating, next time, I may consider cooking…) All these service are offered, not as a formal ‘package’ though, but rather in the casual style of a small hotel – the management chats with everyone, finds out what your interests are and arranges the activities accordingly, very personalised.
The rooms are very comfortable and clean with ample bathrooms and with a hammock on each balcony, the ideal place for my afternoon break with a book. In the small lobby, there are computers with internet connection for the guests. All the rooms as well as the bar and the restaurant are decorated every morning with fresh tropical flowers in red and orange with a perfect sense of style, since all the colours in the hotel are kept in white and indigo. I loved the good taste of the place, the design with its local, tropical notes as well as the environment-friendly attitude of the management.
Right next to the hotel there is the Carriacou Gallery with changing art exhibitions, quite unexpected in this quiet rural area, also run by the hotel owners. And there is a swimming pool, not very big, but surrounded by flowering trees – this is where you can watch plenty of emerald-green hummingbirds - lovely.
And the food is fantastic! The Mille Fleurs Restaurant occupies the first floor veranda. Breakfast is abundant with a wide range of choices; I particularly liked to try local food like ackee. Lunch and especially dinner was an amazing experience: At darkness, the place is lit by many candles (if and when I get married, I’ll insist on going there for a very romantic honeymoon!). In the evening, the restaurant tends to fill up, since outside dinner guests from other hotels come in. Chef cook Elmar is a young German redhead, who blends Caribbean and international cuisine in a really amazing way. Seafood, pimento sauces, organic steaks, also vegetarian dishes, spicy cakes, yummy desserts- not cheap, but worth every cent. I caught myself checking the evening’s menu at lunch time already. Christmas dinner was especially memorable.
I had a great time, came home very relaxed, and can recommend the place to anyone who is looking for a hideaway with total peace, excellent service, cosy atmosphere and a beautiful landscape.

Good place with its drawbacks

by TripAdvisor Member l10657

My fiance and I spent four nights at Hotel Mockingbird. It has a wonderful, albeit expensive, restaurant that serves exquisite Jamaican cuisine. It also has great views of Port Antonio, many birds around the property, and an exceptional housekeeping staff. There are problems, however. First, to get a taxi guests can either pay 2-3 times the normal rate for the hotel to call one for them or walk 10 min down a steep, percarious hill to catch a taxi. The town is about a 5-10 min drive away. Second, the owners are not very helpful. Seeming as if they were too busy to talk to or just not interested, they were not helpful regarding what to do in the area. For example, they recommended a restaurant that was closed that night. When it came to check out, they added on extra charges that while I thought unfair, they insisted, quite rudely, that they were right and I was wrong. When I showed them written documentation, they failed to apologize. The spot has good location, but they could do better regarding their hospitality.

Paradise found

by TripAdvisor Member siggiBabenhausen

If only more hotels were like this one. It's difficult for me to pinpoint exactly what we liked about it so much - probably its the combination of a number of small details that convey this sense of feeling at home and being cared for.
Obviously one wants to explore and discover new experiences when one travels abroad but we like to do this from a comfortable base.
The managers and staff go out of their way to assist with insider tips, information and help make it all very easy by taking care of all the arrangements - whether a hike in the mountains, a historical tour of Kingston or a lovely snorkelling trip. Whatever we requested they took great pains to accommodate our requests. They are always there in the background -respecting our need for privacy but ready to help whenever we needed and happy to sit and have a drink and chat together. We enjoyed our conversations with them about the Jamaican culture, art and they helped us to appreciate our various experiences so much more by sharing a lot of their own experiences and background information with us.
In the evenings one returns happily after a fun filled day to relax and enjoy the lovely sunsets with a drink at the bar to reflect on ones experiences.
The daily changing menu offers great variety - much more appreciated than the standard long list of dishes, of which as we discovered in most places, much was not available. The food was good. We enjoyed just unwinding, relaxing and taking it easy in this calm oasis. It is difficult to describe. One just has to experience it. This place is more than just a "regular" hotel. It is a warm, welcoming home

Relax and enjoy live and nature in Jamaica.

by TripAdvisor Member henkvandeveiling

In the period of 4 up to 18 March 2007 we travelled around beautiful Jamaica and were successively at guest in the hotels Tony's Resort in Montego Bay, Sand Castles in Ocho Rios, Mockingbird Hill in port Antonio, The Courtleigh in Kingston, Treasure Beach Roh in Treasure Beach, Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort in Montego Bay. In this range the stay in Mockingbird Hill was the most pleasant. The only hotel where you don't need your mosquito spray: we found both a mosquito-curtain and an electric set to dissipate mosquitos. No mass-tourism but personal attention; no inevitable noise but peaceful rest and silence which it makes possible to see the birds and hear them singing. Near splendid bays to swim and snorkel. The restaurant is top class. If you wish to be not just a number in the crowd of tourists, Mockingbird Hill should be your choice.
Henk, Marcel en Monique. Lottum, the Netherlands

All round amazing Jamaican experience

by TripAdvisor Member VivienneCanada

Our welcome at Hotel Mocking Bird Hill was warm, sincere, helpful; and immediately we felt relaxed after the journey there. This is a truly beautiful place in terms of ambience, food, decor, and all you could want in a true get-away holiday. It has great style, comfort, lots of interests, friendliness, amazing service and food I will never forget and miss already. There are lovely people who run and stay at this hotel - which is just the right size for informality, privacy or company; and has gorgeous garden trails and bird-life to explore - not to mention an excellent, fascinating art gallery. This is low-key, high quality, eco-friendly holidaying at its best. Our time was made particularly great with the suggestions for 1/2 and full day trips, arrangements that happened like magic and adventures experienced that you would never find in a conventional resort trip. It was non-touristy, but traveller-friendly to the max! The proprietors are to be congratulated for giving back to the community, caring for their guests and their environment and providing this special holiday experience.

A little piece of paradise

by TripAdvisor Member wyldbill

If your looking for something different, exotic and completely pleasurable you would be hard pressed to find a better location and value than the Mockingbird Hill hotel in Port Antonio, Jamaica.

It is a small, boutique hotel nestled in the verdant hills overlooking the port and Shireen and Barbara and their team work hard to make you feel at home from the moment you arrive to the time your leave.

If you want something different but completely pleasurable and totally relaxing, consider the Mockingbirdhill Hotel.

5 nights at Mocking Bird Hill

by TripAdvisor Member LondonTroutie

Spent a fantastic 5 nights at Mockingbird Hill Hotel. Can thoroughly recommend it: excellent food including vegetarian options; lovely rooms; friendly and professional service (thank you Nicola and Byron!). The in-house tour advisor meant that we made the most of our stay with trips to the Rio Grande, snorkelling around the Blue Lagoon, Reach Falls and a hillside hike with a bit of bird spotting thrown in for good measure. If you want to escape the hustle and bustle this is the place to go.

Comments