San San, Drapers P.A. Portland, Port Antonio, Jamaica, Caribbean

Jamaican beach.Jamaican beach.

by hudson1425

Hi,

I will be in Port Antonio January 11-15 on my first trip
to Jamaica, perhaps staying at the Frenchman's Cove Resort (1BR stone villa/ $125 a night) ..

Do you recommend Frenchman's Cove Resort? What are the other altenative (and cheaper) recommendations?

What are the essentials that I need to bring?
Also, what are your favorite things to do there :-)?

Appreciate any advice -

Thanks, Richard
Washington, DC 20010
e-mail: rchu1619@yahoo.com

Re: First travel to Port Antonio/Jamaica .. seek advice on places to stay, activities ..

by Xamayka

Hi Richard!
On my first visit to JA (1987!), I stayed at Frenchman's Cove in a 1BR villa called "The Quarterdeck" (I think). It was the last building, on the edge of a cliff, at the end of the drive. LR, kitchen & bath on 1st, BR on 2nd. It was heaven. Even the view out the bathroom window is beautiful. The cove has a decent beach with some nice surf, and there's a small, freshwater stream (cold mountain water) as well. There's always a breeze so you don't need A/C.

If you eat pork, make sure you go to Boston Beach and get some "jerk" from one of the roadside stands. It's the real thing and will, literally, take your breath away. They start serving in the afternoon since it takes most of the day to cook it properly. Boston Beach is also the best surfing in JA. Check out http://www.great-huts-port-antonio-jamaica.com if you're up for something different.

There are several places less expensivie than Frenchman's. The Bonnie View is basic and a bit worn around the edges but the view of Porty from there is spectacular. If nothing else, go there for a meal or a drink.

The Demontevin downtown is a quaint, old example of Jamaican gingerbread architecture ... I'm not sure if there's anywhere quite like it. If you haven't already, check out http://www.portantoniojamaica.com. It has some photos of both places.

The Roof Club has been around forever. If you can find someone local to take you there/go with you, it shouldn't be missed. Very local, very Jamaican, and it doesn't get rockin' till late.

Also, try to get up into the Blue Mountains, one of the great coffee growing areas in the world! (And roads that will leave you as breathless as the "jerk"!)

Have a fantastic time!!

Travel Tips for Port Antonio

Enchanted places

by Joan58

At Port Antonio there isn't mass tourism. East of the town there are some expensive holiday villages and private residences. Now they are trying to promote the tourism and organized tours on the Rio Grande, when you can sail down the river rafting for three hours. I didn't do it, but it has to be a wonderful experience by hearsay. Just one week on holiday and so much to see! I missed many things I would like to do in this place, like to raft the Rio Grande, visit Navi Island, go to see the Somerset Falls...
Never mind, I'm sure to come back sooner or later!

Reggae

by mrotsmit

These people live in houses without windows or doors, but there'll be giant speakers on the porch blasting reggae into the jungle. Everywhere you go music, music, music and (thankfully) none of it American (you're definately not in Belize).

A local market

by Joan58

To visite tourist places is interesting and fun, but the most absorbing experience is to be among the local people. In Port Antonio I went around Musgrave Market. I have no pictures of this market because I felt a little embarassed to take pictures or to film the real life of people living here. They seemed don't notice a group of tourists, but I felt like a fish out of water. I don't know if you see what I mean. For the first time I went off from the safety of tourist places. Anyway these experiences are very important for me. So I can say to myself: 'You have really been in this place!'
This is a picture I took at another similar local market I visited at La Romana (DR), when I beared up and photographed the real life.

Port Antonio

by morgr

"Great place to kick back and relax."

An excellent retreat from the crowds and noise in the capital city, Port Antonio is a fairly laid back town as yet relatively untouched by tourism. Though there is not a whole lot to do within the town itself, it is within easy distance of several beaches to the east including, San San, Dragon bay and, my favorite, Winnifred beach. Though there is much more to the place than just beaches, you could scuba dive at Blue Lagoon, raft down the Rio Grande or hike in the nearby mountains to name a few other options.

"On the cusp of change?"

Though the place is not yet overun with the hordes of tourists that Negril, Montego Bay or Ocho Rios see, this may be near in the future. With the redesign of Port Antonio's waterfront came a place to park yaghts, and smaller cruise ships. For the time being there are no all inclusive resorts (that I know of), so perhaps now is an excellent time to go check it out before it is spoiled by mass tourism. While you are still free to wander the streets without being constantly hassled and before everyone suddenly has relatives or friends in Vancouver (or wherever you may be from).

caprice4u's new Port Antonio Page

by caprice4u

Beautiful people, fab places, travelled to a small place called Priestmans River, stayed with a family there, wonderous experience, will go again without kids, who I took to 'get in touch with their roots, being of Jamaican heritage, they complained about the heat and the fact we didn't stay in a touristy hotel! Oh well, I try, I try ;-)

Comments