Fishermans Point Resort

Hotels.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 34% less but rated 19% lower than other 3 star hotels

• robbed while sleeping

my husband and i are staying at Fisherman's Pointin jamaica. our first night here someone came into our unit while we were sleeping and robbed us. they had to have a key, no sign of a break in. management was awful to deal with. She even rolled her eyes and made stupid mouth sounds when I was telling her how upset i was. We have stayed here several times before without a problem. they get new management and we get robbed. shouldn't we expect safety while staying at a resort?
    We are taking legal action against this property

More about Fishermans Point Resort

Wonderful vacation!

We took a vacation in March and stayed at Fishermans Point. After reading the reviews we were a little leary, but shame on those of you who wrote those awful reviews. This is a gorgeous resort, the staff is friendly and prompt. THe room was very clean, no bugs, and the restaurant had excellent food. Room service is free and the food was always hot and good and good quantities. Ive never had such a relaxing vacation and would definitely recomend staying here. I highly suggest a trip snorkeling and the Dunns River Falls. Amazing!There is only air conditioning in the bedroom which we promptly turned off and never used. The breeze coming off the sea was a treat in itself. No one bothered us on the beach unless you wanted to buy fruit, drinks or an excursion. This is on cruise ship port, but other than the occassional horn it was of no nuisance or extra noise at all. While we were there, we renewed our vows under the full moon. It was a romantic vacation to say the least.If you are looking for inclusive they do not have that.Food was always available at the restaurant, but they do not serve seafood like shrimp and crab. It is other types of fish from the sea.All the appliances worked fine, and food is available in the shopping center a few blocks away. Safety was never an issue withing the resort or at the beach.

Loved It

My boyfriend and I can't figure out why there are negative reviews about this place. Our stay was perfect. Our room was clean and wonderful. The AC is only in the bedroom but if you leave the balcony doors open, a nice breeze comes through and you will be fine. Most people don't hang out in their room when they are on vacation anyway! : ) The friendly staff is more than happy to help you with whatever you need (Ernest). If you need a taxi, look for Big John who is always parked on the street that Fisherman's Point is on. He is so friendly! We had him drive us to a restaurant and the fee was 10.00, we liked him so much that we gave him a 20....he turned around after he had driven away to come back and tell us that he thought we gave him to much money by mistake!! We met so many nice people which made our stay at Fisherman's Point even better then it already was. Ignore these bad reviews, we read them before we left for our trip but we took a chance and had a wonderful time!!! : )

Forget those bad reviews it was just geat!!

My wife the kids and i just came back from a 1 week stay at Fisherman's Point Ocho. We arrived about 3pm,was greeted by this very nice young man at the front desk. He took our bags apartment to my surprise he told us that he owns it. I thought for a minute he was lieing but, he was not aparantly some of the apartment are privately own. I should admit that his was nice, the view was spectacular, place was very clean. We felt very homely the apartment had a new fridge,TV in all bedrooms and even a washer/dryer. The linens we change each morning by a young woman (very nice)She even cook curry chicken for us one day. The rooms were fully aired except fot the living room which was fine because the wind came straight through. We made friends with the owner who came to see that we were ok every day, brought us conch and coconut water. We stayed in apt29 I would definately stayed there again thanks to B.T. I would recommend if you plan to stay in that areas to send B.T an email ---------------- and he will definately take care of you take care of you.

Condos by the beach

Fisherman's Point is certainly one of the less expensive options available for accomodations in Jamaica, and it provides a good value. We had a great view of Mallard beach and the reef from out of our living room and the kitchen was helpful. The furniture was dated, and the rooms were not American luxury but it is a nice but modest home base for your travels to Jamaica. The pool was nice, and it is close enough to walk to many attractions, if you are adventerous. If you want to be pampered then this is not the place for you, but if you simply want to have a decent place to end your days and or a place to relax by the pool then this could be a good option for you. I was generally unimpressed by the food in Jamaica so having the kitchen to prepare some simple meals was a nice addition. Only the bedroom was air conditioned, but we were comfortable watching a movie at night after a long day of snokeling, visiting gardens and waterfalls. If you visit be sure to plan your visits to the most popular attractions during non-cruise ship days. Also for the budget minded travelers, try using a 'route taxi' and travel the way Jamaicans do, as you can generally barter even more with them, unless you really want a guide. The hotels taxis stand is outrageously overpriced so definitely barter with any of them.

Loved Our Stay!!

Three friends and I stayed in a 2 bedroom unit overlooking the bay. Upon arrival the houseman helped us with our luggage to our room after checking in. Main living area of our room had 2 balconies. One overlooking the bay and the other overlooking the pool. Full sized kitchen equipped with utensils. Unit did not have a microwave or toaster upon check in but called the desk and asked for them and they were there by the time we got back from our walk to town.

Upstair are the 2 bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms. One of our bedrooms had 2 twin beds with a loft going up to one more twin bed. The other room had one queen sized bed. That room had a bathroom. The other bathroom was in the hall. The room with the twin beds had a very small balcony also that overlooked the bay.

We did have one small problem with some ants in one area in the kitchen but called the office and it was taken care of immediately. Security at the gate 24 hours. You are allowed to have guests over. They just call your room and get the ok before letting them in. I know alot of hotels will not let you bring people in. I made friends from my last trip and made sure to stay somewhere I knew would allow me to have them over.

Pool isn't really large but it is very clean. There is also a lady by the pool during the day that does braids. Also a small convience store on premises I believe that was open until like 8 or 9 pm.

Our rooms were very clean every day and we were very satisfied with the housekeeping service. She even did our dishes..what more could you ask for?!

Small trek to the public beach. There is not a charge for Fisherman's Point guests to enter if you show your room key at the beach enterance.

There is also a restaraunt on premises but we did not eat there so can't say anything about the food.

My friends and I are returing to Jamaica next year and we will be staying again at Fisherman's Point. We loved it!

A laidback place to chill... no doubt

My girlfriend and I are in our 20's and decided to go back to Jamaica for second time. I was drawn to stay at this place by the words "private apartment" in the resort descriptions and that is what we got... which was perfect. The property is private, so you can retreat anytime you get tired of doing the "haggle shake" with the locals. Our room was on the second floor with a balcony over looking the bay at one end of the apartment and a balcony overlooking the pool and it's bar on the other. Make a request at check-in and before for the view you want. Fisherman's Point Resort (FPR) is in a great location. We don't mind having a drink or 60 throughout the day and night, and around every corner we were able to satisfy any thirst. Jimmy Buffetts Margaritaville is right across the street, the beach is only a few sips down a walkway along the beach (there is a young guy with a few things to sell that can "re-beer you" if you are empty on the walkway), and some great restaurants are only a few walking minutes away (even closer in a cab and cheap), all with a healthy beverage list. Coconuts was our favorite place to get tipsy and chow-down. All we know about the on-site restaurant is that they may still be open even if you don't see anybody (just get loud for attention) and their breakfast menu is small. We didn't have a microwave or a conventional oven, but a toaster-oven and a hot plate was enough to reheat leftovers (cooking utensils are provided). A tv was provided with good programming and our air-conditioning unit was in our living room...it was enough to make a warm night pretty cool along with ceiling fans in the bed- and living-room. Anybody that does not like this place will probably not like Jamaica, unless going there to avoid the culture and endulge in an all-inclusive stay...which, I hear, is good fun, but FPR is not all-inclusive. The minor imperfections included missing handles on the bottom drawers of the dresser and some small stains on the wall and ceiling.
We went to Jamaica both years during the beginning of the feared "hurricane season (late June-early July)" and neither year did we see more than an hour of rain. We also had much nicer weather than that of the subsequent weather of Texas.

Check the price postings at the entrance of the beach to get an average of the "haggle shake" for water sports.

Use FPR to enjoy JAMAICA and don't forget that there is a light switch for your hot water!

3rd trip and going back

by TripAdvisor Member ochigirl29

Well,Well...my first trip to fpr was a wonderful experince ...myself and 2 other ladies first went in May 03 stayed for 14 days and loved every minute.
The staff was very helpful and nice ..Joyce our housekeeper went above and beyond,Ernest is always available with much love and info on Ochee,my second trip was in Oct 03 and it was even better than before.FPR is like home to me and my travel buddies now ..I'll be returning on May 20th, 04 for 10 fabulous days of sun and fun..If you've never been give it a shot...FPR is more of a private adventure,there's lots to do and see and the foodis excellent from the patties to the jerk pork you can even take a trip over fishermans beach and have a lobster caught and grilled for yyou..right before your eyes..make your next trip to FPR

4 nights stay at Fisherman's

The place has its pluses and minuses.
Because it is apartment style, it does not feel clusterophic as in hotel rooms.
Here you have your kitchen, living room, balcony, and a bedroom. While somebody, is resting in the bedroom, others can watch TV, or cook up something.

On the negative side, the bathroom sink is tiny! Bit shoddy compared to 80 - 100$ rooms anywhere in U.S. But is is not very distracting.

If you have kids, it is not the most exciting place but you can always drop in the neighbouring Sand Castle.

On your way to the beach from the backside, you will run into a smooth talking burly, tall "captain" Peter.
Avoid him!!

He is a rip-off. 100$ for a snorkeling trip for a family of 3 is way too much. For some other family, he charged 130$!

Just don't expect the Ritz

As a whole, the hotel is past its prime. Furnishings are old but generally clean. Sometimes basic items were missing like shades for the bedroom window and had to be requested from the front desk. Front desk is pleasant enough but way too nonchalant. Condo style layout gave us lots of room and the small kitchen was convenient for storing snacks and water. The advantage of the location is its proximity to Margaritaville where there is a pool party on Thursday nights. We also got adventurous and checked out Club Amensia on Friday for local partying flavor. The disadvantage is that the adjacent beach is totally public and filled with hustlers. We only went once and stayed only a few minutes because of the hassling. If you stay at this hotel, you must be willing to put up with lots of flaws and almost no amenities.

Comments