83 Main St, St. Ann, Ocho Rios, Jamaica, Caribbean

Costs about the same, but rated 12% higher than other 3 star hotels

More about Hibiscus Lodge Hotel

Montego Bay & around

by bkathryn

As I don't have a very good record of this trip, I've tried to piece it together as best as I can remember from reviewing my photos and checking the dates I wrote down at the time. I did enjoy Jamaica and am rather sad that it seems to be such an unhappy place to visit these days. I would like to go back again someday. The picture here is of us in the Miami airport, waiting for our Air Jamaica flight to Montego Bay.

November 3
Flew from Prince George and Victoria to Toronto and on to Miami. Then on to Montego Bay!

November 6
Went to Falmouth - where Gardner (my husband) had lived with his family as a child and now owns property.

Went to Greenwood Great House & Antique Museum and saw my first Mahogany tree.

November 7
Went to Doctor’s Cave Beach to swim. Also went to Richmond Hill Hotel for art show put on by the Western Jamaica Society of Fine Arts. We saw an exhibition of paintings and sculptures by 6 local artists.

November 8
Went to Seawind Resort for a look.. Saw a field of sugar cane. We took our hired car and headed off out of Montego Bay towards Rusea. We spotted a sawmill along the way and stopped to chat with the workers. It was not a very high-tech saw mill. It turned out one of them had been in Vancouver during Expo ’86! So were we! We bought them a Red Stripe at the local watering hole.

We made it to Negril for the night and I think stayed at the Mahogany Inn.

November 9
We headed to Savanna-la-Mar and looked at fishing boats, ship wrecks and found at least one conch shell and the swimming hole at the old fort. We headed back to Mo Bay via the cockpit country and stopped at a bird sanctuary at Anchovy. We even managed to see a Doctor Bird - the national bird of Jamaica.

November 10
Went to Windsor Cave from Falmouth. On the way, we saw some coffee on the hoof. We also saw some aloe vera. We did finally find the Windsor Cave and hired a local guy to show us around. It was pretty impressive with lovely stalactites and such. We later headed on to see Arawak Caves between Falmouth and Ocho Rios. We finally headed to Ocho Rios and found someplace to stay - the Hibiscus Lodge. Went for a swim in the lovely pool at the hotel.

November 11
Today, we headed off to Dunn’s River Falls. After doing the obligatory tourist thing at Dunn’s River Falls. We headed back towards Montego Bay. We stopped in at St. Ann’s Bay and checked out a statue of Marcus Garvey.

November 14
Back at the Nelson’s place, we went swimming in the Montego River.

November 15
Off to raft on the Martha Brae River Also went to the Jungle Safari & Wildlife (crocodile!) Refuge, between Falmouth and Mo Bay. Also along the way here, we checked out the mangrove swamp. I believe this area was used in filming one of the James Bond films. We returned to downtown Montego Bay and took some pictures. We were also witness to some football fans at a football match at the Montego Bay stadium.

November 16
We had to return to cold and rainy Canada.

Riding up the Sky LiftRiding up the Sky Lift

Oh, the aroma!!Oh, the aroma!!

Dunn's river fallsDunn's river falls

Looking west around the Ocho Rios bayLooking west around the Ocho Rios bay

Sandals Grande Ocho Rios Beach and Villa Golf Resort

by YVRDave

Hey all,
Checking in Thursday Jan 8th-Jan 13th. Anyone else there?

Re: Sandals Grande Ocho Rios Beach and Villa Golf Resort

by catsandra

Hi just read you went in Jan 09. I'm going in July. Staying at Sandals. What room did you have. Would love to know. Very confused if my "cheaper price room will be okay" Please let me know as I plan on booking next week. Cindy in Arizona sydneyalice@aol.com

Re: Sandals Grande Ocho Rios Beach and Villa Golf Resort

by YVRDave

I don't know what it was called. It was in the building by the beach and faced inland. I don't think you should worry too much, most of the rooms looked pretty much the same inside. The Butler and Private pool would make the big difference, wish I had them

Travel Tips for Ocho Rios

Tipping

by Dabs

As is customary in most resort destinations, tipping is expected and usually not so subtley hinted at. Even at the all inclusive resorts, tips are accepted by the staff although one staffer, as he was requesting his tip before we got to the resort, said that they were required to hand tips over to management, especially if you are seen giving the tip.

I always tip for good service, tips are probably a big portion of their income in places like Jamaica and the service personnel are usually quite good.

Horse Back Riding on The Beach

by neurochic

While in Ochos Rios, you can arrange to go horseback riding on the beach which is a nice thing to do on your honeymoon. But don't think its all romantic like you probably are picturing in your head. They take you along the beach for only part of your excursion and the rest is down a sandy road where they take you to these pools and the guides try to freak you out telling you that alligators have been sighted in these pools. On my excursion I didn't see any alligators. Also the horses aren't young bucks if you know what I mean. Half the time my husband's horse wouldn't even move.

Way Up In The Hills

by Jamaica4eva

Pimento Walk is a community that is located in the watershed area directly above Ocho Rios, Jamaica. Surrounding communities are Parry Town and Snow Hill.
Pimento walk is full of houses and schools as well as children and families. When I was there on a Saturday afternoon everything seemed layed back. Some residents were playing dominoes and some were listening to music. I passed quite a few people who were washing there cars, and having a nice afternoon.
I came across some people that had just finished bathing in the falls. Mahoe Falls. No hussle or bussle here.

The Blue Mountains of Jamaica

by tpangelinan

No matter if you horseback through the blue mountains or driving around them, they are beautiful and full of life. This photo does them no justice, the trees are full and lush. You can see the coffee fields up on the mountain, coconut and banana fields at the bottom along the way. It can be scary taking your eyes off the road as your drive goes 70MPH plus on a tiny back road, but if you can release your death grip from what ever your holding on to, grab your camera and snap one off your lucky.

Comments