Main St, Ocho Rios, Jamaica, Caribbean

Costs 35% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Jamaica Inn

Jamaica Inn Report LOng

by TripAdvisor Member HowardC

Returned last Sunday from six nights in Jamaica, five of which were at Jamaica Inn in Ocho Rios and one night at Wyndham Rose Hall.

Getting there--Left Orlando on Air Jamaica at 3PM (2 PM Jamaica time). Never had flown this airline before and it was a pleasant surprise. Even at 3 PM they served a hot lunch, chicken, peas and rice and veggies plus complimentary wine, champagne and Red Stripe Beer. Unheard of on most US carriers. We arrived at Montego Bay at 3:40 Jamaica time. Cleared customs and immigration by about 4:10. Transfers to Montego Bay were included in our package but at that time of day I didn't want to ride for two hours to get to Ocho Rios. Opted to fly to Boscobel with Inter Air Link. Were met by their rep outside customs and transported to the commuter terminal. Small six passenger plane and there was another couple. The flight was about 1/2 hour and cost $90/person--well worth it. Landed at Boscobel and the Airlink van transported us to Jamaica Inn. Price ($30) included in the airline ticket. Arrived at JI at about 5:30 PM.

Jamaica Inn--Built is 1950 by the Morrow family. The Inn is understated casual elegance. Sort of like a grande dame aging gracefully. Peter and Eric Morrow are your gracious hosts. The suite concept is very unique, something we had not experienced in our trips to many Caribbean islands. The majority of Suites are Verandah suites. We were in a premier suite # 19 in the west wing. When you enter the suite there is the bedroom and bath. Then you go out thru louvered doors to the verandah where there is the living area. There was a couch, two end tables, lamps, desk, cocktail table. wing chair with ottoman and mini fridge along with a table and two chairs by the railing. True outdoor living. Fresh flowers on the verandah and in the bathroom, The west wing suites, 16-20 look toward Ocho Rios and the mountains. The other Premier suites, 41-48 are beachfront. The least expensive suites, Balcony, are on the second floor of the main and east wing. The deluxe verandah suites are on the first floor of the main and east wing. There are no tv's radios or even a clock in the suites. The bedrooms have A/C and a fan. Also a fan on the verandah. There is an excercise room with tread mill, stair step, recumbent bike and free weights. For those who need a TV fix there is a small TV room next to the exercise room. Also a well stocked library with games and puzzles.

Dining--Our package included the MAP. Since breakfast at home consists of an English muffin I really enjoy breakfast in the islands and splurge. The JI breakfast was awesome. Juice and of course Blue Mountain coffee, basket of toast, muffins, pastries, then a large platter of fresh fruit to choose from, eggs and style with bacon, jerk sausage and ham, omelets, pancakes, waffles etc.etc. There was always a special Jamaican breakfast item on the menu, Ackee and salt fish, Callaloo etc. After breakfast we took toast back to the room to feed the fish off the verandah. Created a real feeding frenzy and it was like having your own aquarium. There were small seargent majors, needlenose fish, snapper etc. In the evening the sea urchins would come in. You can have breakfast, lunch and a candle light dinner served on your verandah. Lunch is also served on the beach.

Afternoon tea is served from 4-5 PM, Cookies, small tea sandwiches and cakes. At 7 PM cocktails and very good hors d'ouvres are served before dinner on the bar terrace. Dinner starts at 7:30 and you can dine at your leisure. We normally went about 8 PM. Five course dinner which we never worked our way thru--Choice of appetizer, choice of soup, salad, choice of about 5 or 6 entrees and dessert. The entrees varied daily and included catch of the day, another fish entree, pork, chicken, pasta dish, beef. Especially liked the almond crusted mahi mahi and the fillet. On Tuesday there is a beach BBQue which was great. This was preceded by a managers cocktail party. Most managers parties we have been to are just wine or rum punch. This was a full bar with Hors d'ouvres. BBque- Lots of food including fish, chicken, shrimp kabobs, curried goat etc.etc. There was a large bonfire in the beach. At every meal there was live entertainment and dancing.

Grounds and beach--The grounds were lovely. Meticulously maintained. Lawn mowed and raked daily. The gardener gives tours twice a week discussing the various flora on the property The beach was constantly raked, graded, and very clean. Most of the beaches we saw on this trip were very small but the one at JI was the best. There are very large palm palapas, lounge chairs with pads. In late morning complimentary fruit punch and lethal rum punches are served. Rupert and Teddy are the beach bartenders. Ruperts signature drink is Mountain Magic--Try one, The dirty banana is also good. Like a banana milkshake with a big kick. Rupert is also the resident croquet pro and would be happy to teach you the game. There are a couple of sunfish sail boats, kayaks and floats and snorkel gear to use. The snorkeling is not great off the beach. Find Tony on the beach and arrange a snorkel trip--$15 for an hour. If you want to go to Dunns River Falls talk to Tony and go by boat--$20 for two. If you want to climb the falls it is $5 each for water shoes and $10 for a guide. Best time to go is Sat when the cruise ships aren't in.

Ocho Rios--At 10:40 daily there is transportation from JI to downtown Ocho Rios for a small fee. We went to Island Vilages, and Taj Mahal and the crafts market to look around. It is a typical town where cruise ships stop. Crowded and noisy One ship came in each day about 7AM and left 3-4 PM.. Passengers flock ashore for souvenirs and to party. Ate lunch at Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville. Excellent margaritas But it was very noisy. Caters to the cruise ship crowd with a DJ, foolish games and lots of booze flowing. Glad to get back to the quiet of JI.

One of the things that is so impressive about Jamaica Inn is the staff. On a lot of islands you find people very indifferent with an attitude. Not the case here. It is obvious the staff takes pride in Jamaica Inn and like their jobs. No small request will go unfulfilled and they bend over backwards to make sure your stay is enjoyable. A lot of the staff has worked there for 25 years or more and some 40+. Rupert has been there for 26 years and Teddy 42. Forgot to mention Teddy sang with the band one night and it really good at age 62.

Return trip--We did not want to get up at 6 AM to transfer back to Montego Bay for our morning flight and opted to overnight at Wyndham Rose Hall. We took a private car to Wyndahm rather take the van and glad we did. The road is pretty bad but is was a smooth trip. They are building a new highway between MoBay and Ocho Rios which should be finished in a year and cut the travel time to about an hour. The difference between JI and Wyndham is like day and night. Wyndham is a large family oriented resort with lots of activity and noise. Did have a good dinner at the golf club restaurant Three Palms. Up the next morning for a 20 min ride to the airport and a 10:50 flight. Again a hot chicken and cheese sandwich etc for lunch. Landed in Orlando at 1:50 PM--Took longer to clear customs, get baggage and car and drive home than the flight. All in all a great trip and I definitely recommend Jamaica Inn.

Jamaica Inn- The perfect place to unwind

by TripAdvisor Member MangoUK27

I chose this hotel because I wanted to unwind from a hectic few months at work and wanted a week of luxury and to feel pampered.

I have travelled all over the Caribbean and Jamaica and this hotel is the best for chilling out.

I holidayed here on my own in May and it felt like a home from home. I didn't want a small room so I booked a deluxe verandah suite. It was on the ground floor, HUGE and beautifully decorated with a generous sized bathroom (very important for us girlies) and complimentary toiletries. The shutters opened onto a verandah with very comfortable chairs/sofa that you just sink into, writing table complete with Jamaica Inn postcards and writing paper and a view looking onto the croquet lawn and immaculately kept gardens with the beach within sight just feet away. You can step from the verandah to the gardens and beach just feet away. It was absolutely everything that it appears on the website and more. It was heaven!

My deal included the full breakfast which was superb. It was more like lunch! There was always a cooked Jamaican breakfast on the menu and I highly recommend the Escoveitch fish with banana and cassava bammy, fresh juices, pastries and tea/coffee. You could eat at the open air restaurant with views overlooking the grounds and the sea. Or, you could take your breakfast on the verandah. If you want to do this it's best to select your choice from the menu and hang it on your door knob the night before. You can choose what time to have it delivered. It was great to step out of the shower, wrap up and tuck in to a hearty breakfast in the warm sun. Perfect. There was afternoon tea (which was very comforting) and although I ate dinner there only twice all the meals I had were beautifully presented, tasted fresh and delicious.

There are no TV's in the rooms - you won't miss it. You can while away the hours on the private beach and take your drinks/ lunch there if you want to and there's nightly entertainment at dinner. Or you can join the other guests in a game of croquet.
This is a very quiet, genteel place, guests were late twentys upwards, quietly friendly and no children.

If you're travelling alone and you want to take a few day trips out speak to Shereen or other front desk staff and seek their advice. Mary Phillips the General Manager is warm and charming as is everyone who works here. You can go on oragnised tours where you're picked up and dropped off at the hotel. Or you can book one of the drivers assigned to the hotel for a day trip to Kingston or Port Antonio and the magnificent Blue Lagoon. Try to negotiate a price beforehand because the quoted price is pretty steep if you're travelling alone, US$250 for a day trip to Kingston. However, you will be in safe hands and guaranteed no boneshaker rides!
There was a complimentary bus into the duty free centre in Ocho Rios, the Taj Mahal shopping centre is good. Sunday is a slow day and you can usually negotiate a discount on your purchases.

There's an excellent open air Spa with various treatments.
It's very easy to stay here for your entire holiday and never leave but you should get out and about. If you can't bear the crowds (depending on what time of year or when the cruise ships are in) visit nearby Coyaba Gardens. A hiking trip to the Blue Mountains is an experience not to be missed. You can do this in a day, you won't get to the top but you can camp in the Mountains overnight. The views are spectacular and if you like coffee, Blue Mountain coffee is excellent.

This place makes you feel like you never want to leave and it's also so romantic. When my time came to leave I had a bit of a Harry Belafonte moment with his song 'Island in the Sun' going through my head and when I said my goodbyes I did feel a little choked. I will always remember my first time at Jamaica Inn and I'll definitely go back.

A huge choice of hotels all over Jamaica

by rachel_sun

There are places to stay all over Jamaica,it is just amatter of personal choice and what you want from your holiday.The hotels at Montego Bay are very nice,but remember it is very touristy here and you dont get the true feel of Jamaica here.

While in Jamaica, I stayed...

by trabar

While in Jamaica, I stayed mostly with family members. I did take a little holiday to Negril and stayed at a place called Nirvana. It's private and the beach in Negril is Spectacular!
125 US $

Club Jamaica

by 2002 about Club Jamaica

This is a small all-inclusive resort which is located downtown. It was great to be able to go shopping whenever we wished or go to the supermarket to get a few things that we needed. It was directly on the beach. We had the best of both worlds.

by karen75

"Ocho Rios, Jamaica"

Dropped into Ocho Rios, Jamaica for about half a day as it was our last port of call on our 7 day Western Caribbean cruise. It was very hot and humid here !

"Look out from Shaw Park ?"

Great views from above

"Fern Gully"

Welcome to Ocho Rios, Jamaica

by tpangelinan

"Ocho Rios, Jamaica"

Ocho Rios Jamaica is full of things to do and see. The views of the mountains, the Dunn's River Falls and Dolphins Cove to name a few activitiesto see here. You can fall in love with this place called Jamaica, and not ever want to go home. Get out and meet the local people to get a feel of the real culture here. This is a beautiful land full of wonderful people who have some great stories to tell. Jamaicans are a proud people and very friendly, they also have many beautifl crafts and carvings, so shopping is a must. Come check out this paradise.
Ya Mon!

Ocho Rios, Jamaica 2007

by Jamaica4eva

"Island of Springs"

There are more than 3,000 species of flowering plants, about 720 are found no where else but here.

The Jamaican Apple is shaped like a pear and has the same texture as a pear but it tastes very different.

by tatyanap

My family went on a cruise in December, 2004: Miami, Grand Cayman, Jamaica. I would say that Jamaica was the most exciting part of the cruise.

People are sooooooo friendly!!! Of course, they are trying to sell anything they can to you!!! :-) They are driving on the "wrong" side of the road -- scary at first, especially when roads are so narrow, drivers are weaving in and out of traffic, AND honking non-stop. My foot was pressed into the floorboard at all times! :-)

The weather was gorgeous -- sunny 95 F; it was rather chilly in Miami when we left. I couldn't get enough of the views as well -- luscious vegetation, brilliant blue sky, WOW!

I will post more information later. Yeah, mon!!!

by cilla92

Here is a view that I thought was nice. We were on our way to a working plantation.
I would probably not do that again, it seemed a little long and a little boring. You pretty much rode on a bus to get there and then they pull a trailor with a tractor around the plantation explaining how it is run. I prefer the hands on type of outing.

"Dunn River Falls"

Now this is more like it. I had a great time climbing the falls. It is much more challenging then just riding around getting a history lesson.(Don't get me wrong, I learned some things during the plantation ride) This was just more active and not as hot. I would do this again if I get the chance.

Ocho Rios, Jamaica 1994Ocho Rios, Jamaica 1994

by Jamaica4eva

I will be going to Ocho Rios, Jamaica in May.
I was looking for a nice clean budget Hotel.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Has any one
heard of the Marineview Hotel, in Ochie?

Sailing to Ocho Rios Jamaica!

by CCFABES

We're cruising to Ocho Rios next week on Royal Caribbean and would like to know how far is the beach from the port?

Thanks!

RE: Sailing to Ocho Rios Jamaica!

by donato1899

Try the cruisecritic.com (ocho rios and royal carribean) boards for better results.

RE: RE: Sailing to Ocho Rios Jamaica!

by donato1899

by Goin2Jamaica

My fiance and I have booked our honeymoon to Ocho Rios, Jamaica. I'm asking a general question - has anyone been there before? What was it like? What should we expect? How expensive are things in the area such as one-time-use cameras? Has anyone visited the Renaisance Jamaica Grande resort? Thanks to anyone who responds!

Re: Ocho Rios, Jamaica

by santanesia

My husband and I went there 2 years ago but we went to Montego Bay. We stay at the Ritz Carlton.
What time of the year are you going? We got rain, plus rain, and then some more rain.
We like to explore the countries that we visit by ourself and I don't recomend this in Jamaica. We didn't feel safe. The roads can be awfull when raining that was the reason we could not go to Ocho Rion, the road was closed.
It is a beautifull country.
Do the all-inclusive and trips with a guide.
Bring the one-time camera with you.
Try to bring everything you think that you need so it is more time left to enjoy and rest.
I' sorry my experience wasn't that good but I want to warn you.
I have a co-worker that date a guy from Jamaica and he says that the best Hotel in Jamaica is the Grand Lido and if you go to Skyauctions, you can find a good deal.
Some of the reviwes`at the trip Advisor for the Renaissance wasn't that good
Good luck

Congratulations in your wedding.
Maria

Re: Re: Ocho Rios, Jamaica

by Goin2Jamaica

We're going from June 19-25 next year. What time of year did you go?

Re: Re: Ocho Rios, Jamaica