Riu Ocho Rios Hotel

Mammee Bay, St Ann, Ocho Rios, Jamaica, Caribbean

Satisfaction Average

Good For No Data
  • *Warning*Warning*Warning*

My trip to RIU Ocho Rios was the worst vacation experience of my life. On 10 January, 2012, our room was broken into and we were robbed. The (not-so) safe was removed from the wall, and the contents removed from the back. The room safe offers NO security for your expensive items. To date the RIU has offered to compensate me at the rate of less than 50% of the value of our loss, and no compensation for the disruption to our vacation. I do not know if we were targeted because we were at dinner, because we were seen with expensive items (iPad2, dive gear, etc.) or because we were in a suite, or for some other unknown reason. I am very glad we didn't return while the perpetrators were in the room, or we could have been hurt. The rooms lock with a standard key, marked with the room number, which if lost is easily reproduced. Be warned. This is an impoverished country, and crime IS an issue. If you choose to travel to Jamaica, I would recommend leaving anything you're not willing to lose at home. So far, RIU's response to this has been extremely disappointing, to say the least.

• Great Value All Inclusive Vacation

I have vacationed at the Riu Hotel with my family three times. Let's start with the cons. The hotel staff are not friendly and the check in process can be quite lengthy. The pros - the food is great for the most part except for the juices which are terrible, the deserts are mediocre. There are about three restaurants on the property that offer a variety of cuisines. The property is superb, very airy and spacious, the rooms are very comfortable and above average. The pools are spacious and there are enough pool lounge chairs to go around. I agree with the reviewer that commented about the number of overweight persons at the hotel who are willing to flaunt their amble bodies in tiny bikinis, however, that has nothing to do with riu, if you do not want to see overweight people you should stay home. Overall, the vacation is a great value in light of the high quality of most of the amenities. The nightly entertainment is excellent and is worthy of any broadway show, however, there was one rendition of 'Grease' that was very corny.

I would recommend this resort to any family seeking a great vacation on a budget.

Unique Quality: pool, entertainment

• What a Joke!

If you like to just sit and drink bad food and cheap drinks then you'll love this place. It's essentially a prison full of morbidly obese Americans, Canadians and Brits! I mean c'mon, the food sucks! and it's even worse in the cheesy little restaurants! Every piece of equipment in the gym is either broken or in dangerous condition and you can't leave the resort without beeing hustled or robbed. The people who work at the resort are friendly and the resort is fairly clean but thats the only good thing I have to say about this place. The enormous size of people these days and the sheer amount that mostly the Americans eat makes me embarrassed to be an American-so no wonder the food sucks, when your only gauge of good food is quantity the resort would go broke trying to serve real versus imataion crab to its guests. Everyone there had a story of harrassed to by drugs and Ocho Rios as a city has absolutely nothing to offer but danger and garbage trinkets all made in either China or India. But you get what you pay for and we learned our lesson.

• joachin62's Profile Photo

sept 2010 family trip

we vist this hotel in sep 2010. There is no question the resort is absolutely beautiful and the suite were very nice. We stayed in an oceanview suite. When we arrived (after the long 2 hour bus ride, with one stop at a shop for 20 mins. I was prepared for it thanks to some review our roomwere ready and key in hand in about 15 min. we did not get agencent room locky my kids are grown up 17,19 and 22. There was no apology for it. Beware at check in. They let you know nothing about the grounds, the restaraunts, the entertainment, a map of the huge resort was not offered, you are on your own to discover anything that may or may not be available to you once you discover it. Well, there is a concierge person that will meet with you during your stay, (one or 2 days after arrival) and you may think that they will answer all the questions you have so you can fully enjoy your experience, wrong... This is nothing more than a sales meeting to try to get you to take one of there excursions, and really doesn't help you with the in's and out's. If you want in's and out's and good advice, talk to the housekeepers, the bartenders and the cooks. For instance, when we wanted to shop in Ocho one day, we took the hotel bus and they brought were we wanted.

The food was very good, did not like the Jerk chicken offered at noon every day on the beach, the drinks were good, no top shelf, (except Smirnoff and Jim Beam)and I truly think the liquor was watered down. I am not a regular drinker but I got no buzz from any of the liquor drinks. I even ordered a double Smirnoff just to see and nope, nothing.... and I really don't think the tap beer (the only beer offered besides the bottles in your room) was actually Red Stripe like they said.

I would say the resort, rooms, pools, the beach, really nice. An "A" for sure. The service was good a "B". anyway, it's actually the people that you meet and the things you do that make things fun. We laughed alot, played alot and got lots of sun and relaxation.

• mstinawu's Profile Photo

All Inclusive Goodness

This is your run of the mill all inclusive beach side resort. The rooms were clean and good enough and everything was about average. The breakfast was good, but all the other meals of the day were pretty sub par. The only redeeming things about this place was the beach side bbq they have everyday during lunch. They serve the most delicious grilled jerk with jerk sauce I've ever had--juicy, succulent, spicy, sweet, delicious!

Unique Quality: The bbq lunch jerk chicken!

• Ocho Rios All Inclusive

The best accomodations ever. The people are friendly, food is fabulous and plentiful, landscape and beach are immaculate. Best of all - the price is fantastic! Rated a 4.5 star but I'd give it a 6 star any day! I've stayed 3 times in less than 3 months. What a place. I can't wait to see some of the other Riu resorts in other countries.

Unique Quality: The rooms (Jr. Suites) are georgous. The pool is spectacular.

Directions: Ocho Rios, approximately 60 miles northeast of Montego Bay.
    Mammee Bay - St. Ann - Ocho Rios - Jamaica

• jojocruz's Profile Photo

The Best Carribean Vacation so far..

My boyfriend and I stayed here in May 2006.

It's a new resort and it's a RIU chain so we knew it will be awesome.

Rooms are immaculate.

Food is really good.

Service is good, people are friendly.

Location is a bit far from the Montego Bay airport but it is the biggest resort in the island so far. (Gran Bahia Principe is under construction and that one will be the largest resort in Jamaica)

Unique Quality: Clean, very beautiful resort.

Amenities, pools, entertainment, beach....

I highly recommend this hotel, we definitely will go back!

• Oct 29, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I am so disgruntle with RUI Ochi Rioas called to made a reservation I was put on to an agency (Sunshine Adventure Jamaica Limited) without any knowledge that I was booking with an external agency I made a reservation from the 24 of October for 1 night and was told to pay $222US for two persons when ahead and made a deposit. On the 28 of October a email was sent to me saying that a mistake was made and the price is now $246US. This is so ridiculous because we agreed on a price, deposit was made and then a change in price no nobody called to say anything!!! No reservation was even made with the hotel. RUI is the worst

• Oct 29, 2013 at 8:49 AM