Sunset Jamaica Grande Hotel

See Best VT Value Hotels

Tags

Water Sports Family Travel Budget Travel
See Amenities

Don't stay at this Hotel (Security Issues)

by written on July 26, 2012

Someone broke into our room while we were sleeping.! We were in room 410 on the 4th floor in South Tower (with a terrace two stories below). Someone came from the balcony and took away our my handbag, wallet inside it and my boyfriends wallet and Iphone 4S

The worst part was.. the hotel handled it very poorely. Considering this is a very old and established hotel, one would have thought that they knew how to handle this kind of situation but infact the Security Manager was alluding that we staged the whole event. Why would we stage something like this and ruin our vacation.?

The hotel didn't compensate us or provided any kind of assurance. Rather than handling the Security issue, they were in denial that someone could come to our room from the balcony.

We heard this has happened couple of times before. Really management should be ashamed of how they handled this situation. We have even filed a complain to Jamaican Tourism board regarding our situation

Please Do NOT STAY HERE.! This hotel really needs to reconsider their security and guest relations.

TERRIBLE

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 16, 2012

I am staying here at this hotel in Ocho Rios as I type this. You figure on vacation...... Why is this person typing this on the first day of his vacation? Because everyone needs to know to never come to this place and asap know this. It took over an hour to check in. After this we found our room to have:
1. A key not a key card a key that barely worked.
2. A TV that did not work.
3. A phone that did not work
4. A plugged toilet
5. A view of the roof of the buliding (no ocean view like we paid for)
6. No towels in the room

So after checking in we head down to the dinner buffet. None of the restaurants had reservations available for the next week and we were told we could try getting into them but would have to get there when they opened at 6:00. Yeah 6:00 am. The dinner buffet was terrible. We were the first people in line and the food was cold. The fish was cold. They did have the fall back plan of a hamburger though. No buns the one time I went up and then came back and no burgers this time.

The bar ran out of cups and ice at 10:00 pm last night and the entertainment was extemely poor. Soooo back to the rooms. They decide to move us to a different rooom and they take us there. I check the room for 5 minutes and make sure everything works but miss the phone that doesn't work. Miss the mold all over the ceiling. The gentlemen shows me the view now too and low and behold it is of another roof. Terrible!

I was in line this morning at 6:30 behind the other 3 guests complaining about their rooms and was waiting for a manager who never came out to speak with me. Someone was supposed to come and check the room but no one came. This place is terrible and I would highly recommend not coming here.

I am on a trip for work (why they sent us here I have no idea). Of the 15 or so couples everyone has issues with their rooms! Every single person! It is incredible. I just went to my managers room to ask if I can leave early to go back to Wisconsin and our snow! That is how bad this place is. Avoid this place at all costs!!!!

In the computer lab I casually asked the lady next to me about her stay and she laughed and went over the same problems we are having! Again avoid this place at all cost!!!!!!!!!!

Unique Quality: Nothing!

Fid's Profile Photo

A Solid 3.5 star resort

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 23, 2009

The Sunset Jamaica Grand is a large resort in Ocho Rios Jamaica. I went there with my wife and another couple. Each of the couples has a set of very young twins so we were really ready to get away for a while and enjoy the sun.

We flew into Montego Bay and spent almost two hours in a small bus to get to the resort. Once at the resort we got our room quickly. We were disappointed with our first room selection. The AC was not working and the room had a musty smell. But after waiting in line for about 10 minutes I was moved to a new room that did not smell and had working AC so we were satisfied. The people at the front desk were very nice and accommodating. The rooms are a little dated but comfortable and clean. The elevators seemed to be very slow in the west tower. One of the three was frequently out of order during our stay.

You are given an arm band that you must wear your entire stay to identify you as an all-inclusive guest. I wasn't crazy about having to wear it.

We made our reservations right away for the sit-down restaurants included in the all-inclusive package. They require at least a 24 hour advance reservation to dine in the restaurants. The food in these restaurants is better than the food you get at the main buffet and much better than what you get at the two grills. There are three sit-down restaurants- Asian, Italian and South Beach/Americana. We ate at the Asian and Italian and they were both very good.

On Thursday nights they have a beach party buffet which is excellent- very good food. The food at the normal buffet is always good. Most of the food is prepared with a Jamaican flair so if you are a meat-and-potatoes type of person you might not appreciate it. I absolutely loved all the Jamaican food.

The drinks were another highlight. There were seven bars that I counted (could have missed one) - two of them were swim-up bars. One of the bar tenders Rochelle, made excellent mud slides.

There are five pools - two of which have swim up bars. There are two water slides- the white one is much more fun- faster. There are two beaches which open to the bay so you won't have crashing waves. One of the beaches has a trampoline which is really showing some major wear. Also available in the all-inclusive are sea kayaks, a hobiecat and wind surfers. Just be sure you don't lie to the staff and tell them you know how to sail if you really don't - like my friend did. The other beach is more laid back and less crowded with palm and coconut trees for shade. Nowhere are you very far from a bar.

The scenery isn't all so great. Most of the view from the resort is of a bauxite processing plant on the other side of the bay which looks very dingy and industrialized. Cruise ships dock in the bay in front of the hotel the first part of the week- it is impressive to see the size of those ships.

If you venture outside the resort to walk around the town be wary of the local markets. You will be repeatedly accosted by the locals trying to make a living by selling souvenirs. The locals are nice and friendly but certainly persistent in trying to get you to part with your money.

The major problem I had with the resort was that they sell "day passes" which brings in Jamaicans by the droves. I am assuming that for a very small fee Jamaican residents can buy an all-inclusive day pass because I felt that the place was very overcrowded with Jamaicans. Now I don't have a problem with Jamaican's - they are very nice people, but the place just seemed very crowded because they were there. So if you are looking for a relaxing time you might want to go to the far west end of the resort on the beach.

To summarize, the Sunset Jamaica Grand is a nice place for the money but it is not a four or five star resort. To me it is a solid three and a half stars. If you have to pay a lot of money in transportation to get to Jamaica (as we did) I would suggest going ahead and paying another $100 per day to stay at a solid four or five star resort. But for the money this place is what it is- an average nice place.

RAGGEDY RAGGEDY RAGGEDY RESORT

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 21, 2009

This resort needs lots of work.
They apologize repeatedly for everything that is broken or wrong. not once did they attempt to fix any problems. "jamaica... no problems"....NOT!!!
We stayed for seven days including wedding reservations. The elevators( only 3 for 15 floors of guests) were hot with no ventilation. They frequently got stuck. The lights totally *** off three times while we were there. Children were screaming their heads off in the pitch black dark. Stray cats roam the dining area in search for food. The only resolve is that they ask you to feed them. The female cashier tat sits to the left when you walk in is rude and acts as if she is loaning you money insteading on giving change or conversions. We had to call Crystal (operator) every single day and ask for towels. we were told by housekeeping that they did not have any more that were clean????? huh???? WTF!!! Crystal and i were on a first name basis by the time I left. The games in the gameroom were broken. Housekeeping came in a spot cleaned.... for the entire week the sheets were not changed on our beds. They passed a mop over sand and dirt which made mud and back to dirt when it dried. The final straw.. on our last night, the AC went out!!!!! I called housekeeping and they sent the maintenance guy. i watched him rig a styrophone cup to hold some bar up inside of the vent. The air finally came back on for about three more hours....... then off again. We left bthe next day.
The wedding coordinator Esther Bandoo was awesome. The wedding was very well organized and nice. The fruit punch that they serve wHen you get there is also great! Sanya in the spa is great a well... very professional and good at everyting!THAT'S ABOUT ALL FOR GOOD STUFF! SPEND A LITTLE MORE...STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Unique Quality: great view of the hills
walking distance in town

Find another place

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 28, 2008

My family and I stayed there over the New Year's holidays. Trouble started the moment we arrived. Check in took an hour and a hlf , as they had our reservations for three weeks earlier for some reason. They were unable to accomodate us in the room class that we paid for. The rooms and hallways smell of mold. The bathrooms were clean on the major surfaces, but dirt was in the corners, mold on the shower curtain and there were water stains on the ceiling tiles. The rooms were just not great

The grounds were better kept. The pools were nice. The beach equipped with chairs and a few umbrellas. But note you will be looking at cruise ships in the bay from the beach. I don't even like to think how dirty that water is with such large ships coming in and out every day.

The food was fair. We tended to stick with things that couldn't be butchered too much llike fresh fruit, breads and grilled chicken. There was never a dessert that was so good that I wanted seconds or a main dish that I hoped would come up again during our stay.

The best night was New Year's Eve. The food that night was great.

Teens were alloted some hours at the disco. No one ever came!

Staff members were rarely friendly or attentive. They did manage to offer my 15 year old son liquor every time he asked for a drink, drugs while standing in line for a burger and even a chance to get himself a "woman."

We made the most of just relaxing at the beach, taking the tennis lessons, working out and joining in a few of the resort activities.

Go someplace nicer!!!!

Unique Quality: Nice pools

raggedyanne48 Feb 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Let me start by saying we choose the Sunset Grande for our week vacation in Jamiaca.We went with our daughter and son inlaw. We emailed the manager before we got there and we told we would be taken care of. We were put on the 15th floor we were awake most of the nite by the loud music from the bars in town the view from the balcony was of run down houses and a nasty canal.Most of the food was awful, we ate at the Italian one nite and we didn't eat the food bcause it was bad our son inlaw ate it and was sick the rest of the nite.We ate a lot of chicken and hamburgers. The intertament was not good either what little they had to offer.We went to the lobby to set and all you could smell was people smokeing weed no place for little kids to be at. We are easy going people and easy to please but this was not to pleaseing. So spend a little more money to get a better place for your family to stay.I rate it at a one and a half or two at the most.

Nearby Sunset Jamaica Grande Hotel

• Business Services
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Ocho Rios Travel Forum

Need advice about Ocho Rios, Jamaica? Visit the Travel Forum for Ocho Rios and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Ocho Rios hotel reviews

Shaw Park Garden & Waterfall
Jamaica's Shaw Park Botanical Gardens & Waterfall
dolphin cove
Things to Do
Put things into perspective!
Nine Mile
Dunns River Falls
Murphy Hill
Great Side Trip from Ocho Rios
Off The Beaten Path
Just don't go to Jamaica...period.
Swimming with dolphins