Runaway Bay Heart Hotel

Costs 44% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Runaway Bay

What's in Runaway Bay

by repleo

Going to Club Ambiance in Runaway Bay next week. Our first time in an 'all inclusive'. It is a small resort. Everytime I mention Jamaica I'm told it is not safe to leave the resort. I'm afraid I will get stir crazy after a day or two trapped in the resort. Is there any sort of a village or town in Runaway Bay? Is the village safe? I have an idea of what to expect in Ochos Rios but I would expect Runaway Bay to be a little easier to handle. I just want to be able to walk half a mile down the street to the public beach or go to a local store without getting mugged or being hastled to buy illegal substances. We have travelled all over Europe on our own and had no problems in Puerto Rico but I'm starting to get nervous about Jamaica. Looking for some reassurance.

Re: What's in Runaway Bay

by Dabs

I've never stayed in Runaway Bay but I have been to Jamaica several times. Plenty of people leave the resort, in Montego Bay, they ran shuttles to town for shopping and dining. But everything I've read on Runaway Bay implies that people go to a resort and stay at the resort, the all inclusives have beach access, pools, dining, etc., there doesn't seem to be much of a town to go to.

That doesn't mean you can't leave the resort, the resort will surely offer daytrips out to various places in Jamaica like Dunn's River Falls or you can arrange for a taxi to various places should you want to go on your own or a private guide.

Re: What's in Runaway Bay

by YVRDave

Runaway is a small town. There are stores but, not too much interest for tourists. Ocho Rios does have alot more tourist options due to the cruise ship arrivals. You can rent a motorcycle there and go for rides up into the hills to look around. Make sure you go to Rio Bueno, great trek up the river.
Yes you will be asked to buy pot and coke. You are after all a new prospect. Just say no thanks if you don't want it.
I do suggest you go out of the resort to look around, Jamaica is a pretty country. The public beaches are not groomed and quite nice. You must have have a few Patties and a Red Stripe.

Travel Tips for Runaway Bay

Spanish Recipes

by solopes

After a few travelling decades, I agree that no one in the world matches the Spanish professionalism organizing mass tourism.

It was no surprise, finding this new Jamaican resorts led by Spanish, copying exactly the same techniques used in Spain to please the guests, and the concentration of Spanish and Portuguese guests made us feel sometimes like being in Torremolinos or Benidorm

Want a good time, then TIP PEOPLE

by rebeccaburch

Your on vacation. If you could afford to go then you can afford to tip. Everyone being cheap wasn't having as much fun as everyone being generous. If you tip you show respect and you get respect. You will be sure to be spoiled. During activity outings, TIP, you will have a better time then anyone else in your party. They will cater to you if you show them respect! Horseback riding on the beach, and going to the house Bob Marley's grew up in. Tour staff were awesome!!!

We will definitely return!

by saturnsvu

We probably enjoyed the relaxing, non-threatening environment the most. No high pressure activity leader trying to talk us into participating in anything we didn't want to was a positive. The waitresses and the dive shop staff were wonderful and attentive. The reservation office was extremely helpful in getting our return to paradise vouchers in order. The front desk and bellhops were efficient and friendly. I would highly recommend this resort and if possible would like to spend at least 4 days here every year. I miss the hammocks and the sound of the sea. North Carolina is nice and the breezes here are cool in the summer, but when it is time to relax, nothing beats Runaway Bay.

A Word of Wise in the Craft Markets

by ebnoia

My friends and I visited downtown Ocho Rios one morning and walked around the craft markets. I believe that in Jamaica, if you do not want something you should just say "no thank you" and walk away. My polite husband made the mistake of making conversation with the people at the craft market. Then they would get annoyed when he did not purchase something from them. Just my two cents!

Say "Irie" Mon Even On the Wrong Side of the Road

by saturnsvu

They taught us on the way to the resort, you have to learn the Jamaican term, "Irie." It means good, great, fabulous. Everything is "IRIE" in Jamaica, even when you are traveling at 70 miles an hour on barely paved, bumpy roads.

Comments