Old Wharf, Calabash Bay P.A., Treasure Beach, Treasure Beach, Caribbean

Treasure BeachTreasure Beach

CactiCacti

Living in Jamaice

by queenscout

This one is aimed at Asgotti. but feedback from anybody else welcome. Signed up with VT today, so forgive me if muck up on any protocols. Worked in Jamaica for four years from Jan 1976. UK since then. In common with Asgotti got married out there. Honeymoon in Negril. Now thirty years, four children later still married to same woman, but looking to retire back to the sun. Never spent any time in TB when i was there, probably drove through it a couple of times on my way to Sav la Mar from Kingston. Find the prospect of buying a property there and living nine months of the year in the sun very attractive. Treasure Beach seems ideal. Comments anyone, on any aspect at all? tia Tony

RE: Living in Jamaice

by chakachaka

Treasure Beach is gaining popularity as a place for returning residents and expatriots for many reasons. Crime free, scenic, quiet, overall relaxing.
Close enough to Southfield, Black River and Mandeville for major shopping.
A real melting pot, lots of "red" jamaicans, so fairer skinned people don't stick out like a sore thumb, as they may in other areas of Jamaica.

Land is still relativelly affordable.

My advice, if you build in Treasure Beach (or anywhere in JA) use alternative energy sources. Solar and wind. The electric company's service continues to get more expensive and less reliable. Easier to build such a power system from the ground up rather than convert from an existing system.

Also, building costs continue to climb. Better to jump on it now, don't delay. You may find materials 50% more expensive a year from now (it's happened before).

THere are some opportunities to buy existing properties with house/land/business on them. That is a good thing to explore as well.

In summary, Treasure Beach is probably the best choice for Jamaica right now. It is like an island unto itself, containing the beauty of Jamaica, and not many of the problems.

Youcanemailmeat:Questions@ItalJamaica.com

RE: RE: Living in Jamaica

by queenscout

Hiya, Chakachaka

Thanks for taking the trouble with your input - most appreciated.

Maybe i'll come and see you in May next year and stay at the Viking House.

Regards,

Tony

Travel Tips for Treasure Beach

In loving memory

by asgottl

My dear friend, Berry Berenson Perkins, was killed on September 11, 2001. She was on American Airlines Flight #11, the first plane that struck the World Trade Center. Berry was a true gift! I feel so fortunate to have had her in my life. She radiated warmth and kindness...and had an inner spirit that touched the lives of everyone she encountered. Berry, I hope you knew how much I loved you. I don't think you were aware of how deeply you impacted my life. You gave me hope when I thought things were hopeless. You inspired me and gave me courage to face my weaknesses, for which I am forever grateful. You were a true friend...always lending an ear, or providing a hug when I needed it most. Your untimely death has affected us all. I can't imagine Treasure Beach without you! You've become an integral part of the community. As devastated as I am about your passing, I'm comforted knowing that you lived a life surrounded by people who truly loved and cared for you. Please know that you will forever live within my soul. Good-bye Miss Berry...may you rest in peace...

Miss Berry Remembered

by asgottl

It's always difficult for me to return to Treasure Beach without my dear friend, Berry. We often discussed our life's dreams and ambitions with one another, and I always said that if I ever got married, I'd like to return to Treasure Beach for the ceremony. Berry insisted that we hold the wedding in her yard (since she lived on the beach). Unfortunately, she passed away before this dream became a reality. Prior to the wedding, several of us went to Berry's yard and picked flowers from her property. These flowers were incorporated into our wedding! Our flower child sprinkled the beach with petals from Berry's yard, incorporating her beautiful spirit into the ceremony.

My friend, Wilbur, is holding up a picture of Berry while we gathered flowers. Once again, Berry, you are missed.

No remarks

by kyoub

Almost everyone that lives in this area has white ancestors. It is said that a group of Scottish sailors were shipwrecked near here, last century.
I wouldn't bring this up as a custom except for the fact that this is probably the reason that the kids do not run out as you drive by saying Whitey!
They do this in other parts of Jamaica.

Relax, mon!

by jakesanderson

"South Coast Jamaica Beach Town"

Treasure Beach promised to be sleepy and relaxed, and it disappoint. Of course the sunsets were beautiful. We stayed at a small hotel called Mar Blue, run by a German couple.

"The "Real Jamaica""

Every day our routine was simple and relaxed:

Wake up and have breakfast at our hotel. Walk down the street about a quarter mile to the local beach and go for a swim. Stop at the beachfront restaurant, or one of the other local places for some jerk goat or other local delicacy.

Goats roamed the streets, eating any vegetation not protected by a fence. Birders stopped at the pond left by the hurricane which had hit and done a great deal of damage just a few months before.

The REAL Jamaica, where visitors are welcome.

by chakachaka

"Land of my birth"

I was born in Jamaica. I live with my sisters and parents. I have alot of cousins that live in the neighboring houses, the picture above is them coming to check me out when I came home.

Mom and Dad have a guesthouse here. We welcome visitors from all over the world. People who want to learn about the Jamaican and Rasta culture, not people who want a resort like one they'd find in Florida.

Comments